By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ECAM v4 Lathe & Mill
19/10/2020 12:20:08

I'll do you a video soon to help you along.

Martin.

Thread: Drop on recoil escapement
16/10/2020 19:53:30

Just for interest, I recorded a video of a recoil escapement generated in Gearotic with various drop angles.

Martin.

Thread: In flight social distancing
16/10/2020 17:37:37
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 16/10/2020 16:41:57:

Just found this ... New Improved, etc. **LINK**

http://www.filtrationcontrol.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwiaX8BRBZEiwAQQxGxyzbNw_VWoyfP0rzRNyr-zpzlz17CsCtGnDSot3l1tXLN_T4MLVv8RoCsWoQAvD_BwE

This one claims 99.99% instead of the more usual 99.97% but I still don’t really understand what the number means

dont know ... by weight, by volume, by number ... ?

Covid 19 virus is very small, so this point of clarification is important.

MichaelG.

It seems to me to say that their filter captures particulates that might be carrying pathogens/viruses.

The girl in their picture appears to have a few 'larger than virus size' gaps around her mask though. surprise

Martin.

16/10/2020 10:08:58

Just a bit of info from the UK Government website.

Stay safe, be kind. hug 2hug

cv19 report.jpg

Thread: guideway surfaces regrind
13/10/2020 22:08:07

Have you considered lapping the surfaces?

Mill some copper/aluminium to 90 degrees, charge it with abrasive paste and give it a go is what I'd try first.

Martin.

Thread: Alibre Pro / Expert and AlibreCam
12/10/2020 12:29:03

Which level of Alibre CAM are considering, as there is a large difference in price & features between the options?

Martin.

Thread: DHL Rip Off
11/10/2020 20:08:10

Rip offs are everywhere.

Thread: Home Automation Technique
10/10/2020 15:03:29

..."Measuring temperature is important for calculating the relative humdity. However, theoretically I need the absolute humdity level to decide whether to start pumping air. And the temperature inside and out will be approx the same and only varies from 25 degC on a cool night to 35 degC on a hot day. So basic humidity is all I need."...

If you need a humidity sensor device, then I can confirm that is what I am using in the form of a Sonoff TH10 (plus the sensor).

The eWeLink app allows me to select temperature or humidity. I have it set to switch on my bathroom fan when humidity reaches 75%. and off when below this figure.

It's been working quite reliably for over a year now and still functions without a network connection once it has been programmed.

Martin.

09/10/2020 14:34:34

I use one of these to control an extractor fan in my bathroom.

Martin.

Thread: How to identify climb milling?
02/10/2020 17:26:44

Also be aware that milling a pocket reverses the climb/conventional direction of travel when compared to milling the outside of a pocket.

Martin.

Thread: Quality Problems With the Sieg sx2.7
01/10/2020 19:33:26
Posted by Ketan Swali on 01/10/2020 18:06:45:
Posted by blowlamp on 01/10/2020 17:00:13:

I don't understand the logic of this argument. thinking

How did Colchester, Harrison and all the other machine tool manufacturers manage to export their machines abroad without them losing precision question

Martin.

Hi Martin,

There is no logic to argue, but I really don't expect a person with your level of compitance to understand. wink

Ketan at ARC.

Edited By Ketan Swali on 01/10/2020 18:10:49

Edited By Ketan Swali on 01/10/2020 18:11:12

Hi Ketan.

Is this meant as a joke or an insult?

Martin.

01/10/2020 17:00:13

I don't understand the logic of this argument. thinking

How did Colchester, Harrison and all the other machine tool manufacturers manage to export their machines abroad without them losing precision question

Martin.

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
28/09/2020 19:36:28

As we've been told, this virus isn't ever going away, so we're going to live like this forever.

We need to embrace new ways of communicating without the need for embracing physically.

Be kind, be strong, cling on. tea

23/09/2020 11:25:10
Posted by Rik Shaw on 23/09/2020 10:58:29:

I'm usually quite good at staying cheerful - then I read this thread kulou

Rik

I'll cheer you up! rainbow

Nothing like some music & dance to lift the spirit. yes

'Staying apart brings us closer together'. rose

Martin.

Thread: Changes to Fusion 360 Terms
19/09/2020 11:56:09
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 19/09/2020 10:40:23:

I have been told some very interesting news for anyone who wants an integrated 3D CAD/CAM solution but I can't say more... yet!

Neil

Unless it's very exceptional integrated (expensive) software then I tend to find one side is better than the other.

Because of that, I have gone down the route of finding a CAD system I can get along with, and secondly having a selection of CAM systems that have strengths in various areas, because I haven't found one that does, or is strong, in everything.

However, I'm certainly interested in what you have to show us.

Martin.

19/09/2020 11:41:31
Posted by JasonB on 19/09/2020 07:14:37:

I could live without the rapids as I don't have the max on the KX-3 set that high and if using "both ways" cutting when roughing out at least you are removing metal on he return cut. The multi axis "steep and shallow" would be missed as I do a fair bit of work that has compound curves and it's the ideal finishing tool.

Not having a quick change tool holding system I already break the program down into what each tool can do and set the next tool height before running the next lot of code. This is fine for the one off things that I do for my models and as I usually only do a few hours a month on it not much of a problem as it would be when doing batches.

I'll wait to see how limiting I find the changes and then decide if I want to pay for what is really only the CAM side for me as I still design in Alibre and their CAM is expensive.

Occasionally, I have wrongly set something in CAM and produced gcode with long lead-ins or lead-outs... ...just that is painful to see in action, so don't underestimate how you might feel when one of your jobs has the tool jumping all over the place.

The other bad news is that the Steep & Shallow milling strategy appear to be for the chop in the free version come October.

Martin.

19/09/2020 00:14:32

I can't imagine being happy using my little CNC lathe without rapids. The thought of watching the tool endlessly trundle its way back to the start point of a long part at around 100mm/min feed rate, when I know it could easily zoom back at 1500mm/min is more than I could stand.

I've got Fusion 360, but I prefer to program my lathe with eCam, even though it cost €150.00 rather than being free. It seems like a reasonable purchase now, given this news.

Martin.

18/09/2020 11:37:58

From the Fusion 360 Website:

What does no rapid moves mean?

Removing rapid moves means that all toolpaths will use High Feed, where the maximum feedrate for linking moves is the cut feedrate. You can still decrease the feedrate of linking moves if you want but you won’t be able to raise the high feed value above the cut feedrate.

For those of you with small consumer grade machines, this will likely not have a significant impact on your total cycle time. If you have a large machine with a high rapid feed, the rapid codes will no longer be in your posted code.

That'll throw a spanner in the works for some jobs.

Martin.

Thread: Facing parallel between centres.
15/09/2020 11:55:18

The reason to do it between centres is that this way provides an intrinsically 'perfect' solution to the problem.

Assuming the lathe is facing-up correctly and the headstock & tailstock centres are in proper alignment with each other, then this should be a simple job.

I say it's a 'perfect' solution because it requires no setting up with gauges or other tools. Therefore, it can be removed and replaced at will, with no loss of repeat accuracy. The end faces are generated, which is a (theorectically) perfect way to create an object, as it isn't reliant upon things like exact tool geometries or how precisely the tool is aligned to the job.

In contrast to face milling the ends, you would have to be sure the milling spindle axis is set exactly perpendicular to the table movement as well as ensure the table working surface is flat and perpendicular too. The effect of any inaccuracies would reflect in the job by faces not being parallel or slightly hollow due to spindle misalignment.

Martin.

14/09/2020 12:08:45
Posted by Martin Kyte on 14/09/2020 11:57:51:

parallel faces that are faced slightly concave

I object to the description of parallel being applied to anything other than lines or flat planes. Parallel planes have rotational and translational symmetry.

I'm perfectly happy to describe the periphery of the two ends of the cylinder as being parallel when concave (or convex) by not the face.

regards Martin

How about 'evenly spaced' or just 'offset'?

Martin.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
cowells
Warco
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest