By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Reaming a pinion, wall thickness?
02/09/2011 08:39:05
The question has been answered. If it's soft enough, put the gear in a collet and drill/ream it. You can test with a file or scriber on some unimportant area to see how hard it is and if either of these tools skids over the gear, then it will probably have to be ground.

Do you think one of the Loctite products would help to hold the gear in place?

Martin.
Thread: Myford S7 Spindle Nose / Chuck fitting.
30/08/2011 22:07:11
My advice to anyone making their own nose fittings such as backplates and collet chucks for lathes with Myford style spindles, is to make the bore and abutment faces that are near the threaded section, as clean and accurate as they can, because they are the designated alignment surfaces for location of such equipment.
The diametric accuracy of the thread is of secondary importance and should be made with a little slack, to allow the register to do its job of pulling the chuck into alignment with the spindle.

Martin.
30/08/2011 12:09:38
Myford were always very fussy about the faces of the register of the spindle and I doubt they would have let anything out that wasn't close to being bang on to size.

I wonder if the 0.0005" taper is due to wear from fitting and removing chucks over the years, perhaps without a spot of oil?

Martin.
Thread: Proof reading, what proof reading ?
28/08/2011 14:46:08
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 28/08/2011 14:31:37:
In response to Ady's picture all I can say is 'quack quack'. I'll leave it to others to work out why that is appropriate.

Regards,

Andrew

Canard?

Martin.
Thread: Milling spindle
27/08/2011 11:54:09
Raymond.

I'm assuming the spindle is fully contained by its housing, apart from access to each end of course.

Putting a pair of spherical bearings at the front end of the shaft isn't going to bring you any benefits in my opinion.

For the whole assembly to work, you've got to pre-load the bearings to ensure there isn't any play.

Looking at your drawing, it seems like you intend to pre-load the spherical bearings against one another and have the back bearing find its own axial position as well as provide support against the tension of the drive belt.

If I've got that bit right, then it would appear that you will only be utilising half of each of the spherical bearings rolling elements i.e. those that are pulled into contact through pre-load.
This is the same situation that you would have if you were to use two taper-roller bearings mounted back-to-back.

If you increased the spindle size to 35mm you could fit a beefy 32007 bearing @ 35x62x18mm at the front of the shaft to take most of the load and a another taper-roller in the 25mm I/D range (a bit larger if possible) for the back bearing, thus allowing for adjustment of pre-load.

Keeping the spindle at a nominal 35mm along its length will keep it rigid and save machining time.

Access to the preload adjusment also looks as if it would be more convenient as it would be just under the drive pulley.

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 27/08/2011 12:04:07

Thread: Time for reflection
26/08/2011 23:57:29
Posted by alan frost on 26/08/2011 23:43:15:
What on earth is this lot about ? Is Charlie the only one without a handbag ?

Dunno, but he'll probably tell us when he's done his ironing

Martin.
Thread: Milling spindle
26/08/2011 17:56:01
Raymond.
Sorry, I wrote plain roller bearings in my last post when I meant to say spherical.

The only advantage I can see to the spherical bearings is their self-aligning properties, but that could work also against you if the spindle isn't absolutely rigid.

A pair of lightly pre-loaded taper-roller bearings at the front end of your spindle would form a very stiff assembly - which in itself would probably be overkill

I look forward to seeing your drawings when you get them uploaded.

Martin.
26/08/2011 16:54:45
You could get a pair of 30206 taper-roller bearings in there that would be more rigid than the plain roller bearings you are proposing.

What about a quick sketch of your proposed design for us to look at?

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 26/08/2011 16:55:15

Thread: Time for reflection
26/08/2011 00:27:13
Which thread has been closed today?

Lots of threads in forums have heated conversations, but in general I find it best if the moderators lie low and let things resolve themselves naturally if possible.

If there's one thing that's likely to fan the flames, it's when one parties' opinion is censored at the behest of someone that claims to have been insulted, injured, or traumatised.

This isn't to say that we all sit and watch a fight to the death, but most people contribute because they feel they have something of value to say and simply don't appreciate having their view being erased as having no merit.

I believe that when an individual puts his work or opinions before the public, he does so with the understanding that they will be his judge and accepts that he may receive criticism as well as praise. It also follows that matters that are considered by some to be side issues, are brought into the conversation.

Martin.
Thread: Commercial projects???
25/08/2011 15:51:39
Deleting threads like this one means that no one can refer back to it, so it just leaves the door open for the same things to be said all over again.

I say leave it and when a similar issue arises, it's a simple matter to direct people here. The plus side is that other threads don't get overlooked whilst the same battle is played out for a second time.

Again, just my opinion.

Martin.
25/08/2011 12:32:25

I'm finding it very difficult to walk on the eggshells that are strewn around here and feel that It's almost impossible to know which way others are going to respond.

How frustrating to have a forum where ideas and opinions abound, only to have them crushed by those that don't want to hear them, because it doesn't suit them.

My opinion, to which I think this thread relates, is that it's not appropriate for a Former Member to have announcements made here, of forthcoming articles somewhere else, as it amounts to free advertising and is an abuse of the goodwill of the service providers here.
However, after publication, I think it would be entirely right to discuss the matter freely, anywhere.

It's just my opinion.

Martin.

24/08/2011 19:50:49
Posted by John Stevenson on 24/08/2011 19:39:51:
Posted by David Clark 1 on 24/08/2011 19:07:31:
Hi David

I will go and delete all of Graham Meek's details about his screwcutting item being published comercially in a competing magazine.
(When I have had a cup of coffee.)
Thank you for pointing this out.
regards David

Edited By David Clark 1 on 24/08/2011 19:12:43

Careful, That may backfire when people go to buy the 'other' magazine to read Graham's article and perhaps find they like that mag in preference.

John S.

If they want that particular article, then they've got to buy the other magazine anyway, haven't they - or is it going to be reproduced on this website?

Martin.
Thread: deleting old thread
22/08/2011 12:10:14
I know that emoticons aren't to everyones taste, but I see them as a kind of insurance (or reassurance if you want), that when an argument is being firmly put - in this instance, using all capitals - they portray the sentiment intended by the writer.

KNOW WHAT I MEAN? ...
... but really.

Martin.
21/08/2011 12:07:28
Chris.
I don't think MAC's point about someone being remonstrated, was aimed at you for pointing out the issue of all capital letters being seen as shouting when posting.

I read his post as highlighting the intolerance of others, who take it upon themselves to 'police' peoples contributions that happen to have the Caps Lock on, without cutting them some slack.

For me, reading posts that have the Caps Lock stuck on just makes it more difficult to read, although I also think that a sentence in all caps tends to emphasize the shouting effect it has, when contrasted against the normal LOWER CASE TEXT

Martin.
Thread: Schaublin 102VM Lathe Tailstock
21/08/2011 11:32:45
Well it looks like David posted the request for help back in 2009 so he's probably got it sorted now.
It does sound like the original barrel could be modified, if he has access to a toolpost grinder or a router like a Bosch POF 500A, which has the standard 43mm mounting collar and accepts mounted points.

Martin.
Thread: Digital Issues
15/08/2011 21:09:39
Posted by John Stevenson on 15/08/2011 20:36:53:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 15/08/2011 20:28:09:
David Clark,

When you do find out who is responsible for Digital [back]issues; may I suggest you ask them to get in touch with The British Horological Institute for some advice.

MichaelG.

I don't think David is into gardening...........

John S.

That's either a double bluff, or John's related to Nellie Pledge...

... or I'm not stood standing here.

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 15/08/2011 21:11:27

Thread: mini mills - which is the best?
07/08/2011 23:12:56
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 07/08/2011 22:40:11:
I can get within a hundredth of a mil

What's a hundreth of a mil? It's US speak for a thou; but I doubt you're machining to 10 millionths of an inch.

Regards,

Andrew

I took him to mean 0.01mm.

Martin.
Thread: Coolant
07/08/2011 22:21:49
I find that Sainsbury's Natural Furniture Polish with Beeswax works very well when milling aluminium and keeps my workshop smelling fresh.
One can lasts a long time if you 'give it' the odd squirt while you're working. It's good 'cos it sticks to vertical surfaces without draining off so a little goes a long way.

Martin.
Thread: Don't assume the obvious
01/08/2011 02:30:40
Steve.
Just to clarify my point.
I do find second line of your 'report' example confusing, not because it reverses the meaning of the previous similar line, which I don't think it actually does, but because the punctuation as it stands just doesn't make any sense to me without the quotation marks.

I believe Sid's 'Panda' post (above), is a good example of where a well placed comma can help the author convey his message clearly and makes all the difference to the understanding of an article.

My reading of the title Model Engineers' Workshop is that it refers to the community of Model Engineers in general, but each article is about a project within a particular Model Engineer's Workshop, so I don't see any real need to change anything on grounds of grammar.

If we are changing names, then how about Engineers Home Workshop, with or without apostrophy?

Martin.
01/08/2011 00:10:34
Posted by John Stevenson on 31/07/2011 23:37:23:
You are missing the point, was the report right or wrong?
inquiring minds want to know........................

John S.

I'll need to conduct an enquirey and make a report, but bear in mind that many of the reports that I read are right in their intention, but wrong in their conclusion. This results in an investigation with regard to where things went wrong and - naturally enough - results in a report being produced.

So I'll get back to you when I'm done.

Martin.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Warco
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest