By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wheel cutting
07/11/2011 22:04:20
David.

A leaf is a clockmaker's term for the tooth of a pinion.

Martin.
07/11/2011 21:59:32
Have a look here Wheel cutting info

Martin.
Thread: Lathe alignment. What is good enough?
06/11/2011 23:36:41
The trouble with a test bar is that it can only be as good a reference as the taper into which it is mounted.

Aligning a lathe headstock is straightforward once it has been established that the bed is not in a twisted state (by using a precision level) and can checked and adjusted by gripping a bar in the 3 jaw chuck and relieving it in the middle, so as to leave two collars that can be repeatedly skimmed with a sharp tool and their diameters compared, until within your chosen limit.

For me, doing it this way removes the confusion from have a perfectly parallel test bar that is actually running off centre because of a slightly inaccurate taper in the spindle and also yields a 'real world' result.

Martin.
Thread: Unfamiliar leadscrew,
05/11/2011 22:48:52
It's for the power cross feed.

Martin.
Thread: Lathe alignment. What is good enough?
05/11/2011 22:44:08
There was a programme shown recently, which followed the construction of the Rolls Royce Trent engine. One engineer was proudly explaining that they allowed a tolerance of 0.007mm (7 microns) for the grinding of the base of the turbine blades.

So with a result like you've got, I think you (and Rollie's dad) should apply for a job there

Once you're at that level of parallelism, you'll probably find that errors in parallel will now jump from end to end of the workpiece, depending on cutting conditions and the type of tool in use at the time.

Martin.
Thread: Posting pics
15/10/2011 10:45:13
Springbok.
I hope I haven't confused the issue here.

The video is of a different website to this and is intended to show how easy it is to do elsewhere.

Sorry that I didn't make it clear in my original post

Martin.
15/10/2011 08:56:19
I can't really see what could be much easier than in this little video I've done.

Martin.
14/10/2011 09:23:44
As charlie and Springbok have highlighted, this is a daft way of doing things because it's not intuitive and any deletions in the containing albums/remote storage, instantly ruins the posts here.

Pictures and other files should be contained within the post so the above doesn't happen.

Albums/remote storage should be an option, but not the only option.

Let's get this place up to date!

Martin.
Thread: Einhell Press Drill model SB501 being reliable??
13/10/2011 18:29:30
Steve.

I take it that you are thinking of buying one of these machines, but the blue ones are now made in China and the grey ones were made in Germany and therefore (possibly) of better quality?

If that is right, then at least I understand the question OK

However, I have never come across this brand of tool in the UK before and so can't let you know about any differences between the old and new versions of their drilling machine.

Hopefully, someone from mainland europe will have these available locally and so be able to help you further.

Martin.
Thread: Vectric 2DCut and Mach3
11/10/2011 09:13:32
It's, it's, it's.......
.........It's like the sneeze that never comes.

Martin.
Thread: Piston ring fitting
10/10/2011 17:17:45
A sliced up baked bean tin and a Jubilee Clip would be the makings of a piston ring compressor for me.

Martin.
Thread: Which Myford do I buy??
09/10/2011 13:22:24
Chris.
I can't see that you would gain very much by going for a Myford, given that you already have two pretty decent lathes of similar size already, one of which is equipped with a better arrangement for milling (in my opinion) than the vertical slide setup that would be needed for the Myford.

If you have the room, my view is that it would be more useful for you get a milling machine now - preferably with a quill so it can double up as a precision drilling machine - and then buy a larger lathe later.

There are plenty of good lathes to be had, but it might be worth looking at something about the size of a Boxford (nice british lathes), or maybe a Warco WM280V-F (chinese manufacture), both of which have a greater through-spindle bar capacity than a Myford 7 series machine.

A personal preference of mine would be to have a variable speed lathe that doesn't have a screw-on chuck.

Martin.
Thread: Chinese Scales
30/09/2011 22:06:29
Not being an electronics kind of person, I don't know if this link will help, but I remember reading about it when I built my Shumatech DRO.

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 30/09/2011 22:06:53

Thread: oil
30/09/2011 21:04:42
Nick.
Do I even need to mention the Austin Princess and the Austin 1800/2200, AKA the Land Crab?

Martin.
30/09/2011 20:49:12
Posted by Andy Belcher on 30/09/2011 20:26:03:
Derry,

I am aware of how soot is formed, that is why I used the inverted commas.

It is a substance that looks like soot, and that is the word used as it was described to me by Century Oils, Shell Oils and Harley Davidson many years ago. Who am I to argue?

Also, no car or bike engines share common oil with the gearbox; I have changed and rebuilt enough of them over the years.

Otherwise, you are agreeing exactly with what I said.

Andy.
You can't have heard of the Austin/ Morris Mini, 1100/1300, Maxi, and Allegro etc, along with their many variants.

These cars not only shared the same engine oil to lubricate the gearbox, but also the final drive assembly.

These weren't brilliant cars, but they didn't seem to suffer because of the type of lubricant, which by the way, was normal 20w/50 motor oil.

Martin.

EDIT  ***Beaten to it!!!**

Edited By blowlamp on 30/09/2011 20:50:06

Thread: Parts for Bantam Lathe
27/09/2011 13:39:36
Posted by Nigel Barraclough on 27/09/2011 13:25:53:
Have you tried Colchester ?

Spares
Tel: +44 (0) 1924 412603
Fax: +44 (0) 1924 415008
Email: spares@colchester.co.uk

Regards,

Nigel B.

...And make sure you're sitting down when they tell you the price.

This place might also be worth contacting if you get stuck http://www.latheparts.co.uk/

Martin.
Thread: A Challenge - How Would You Machine This Part?
26/09/2011 13:43:22
Agreed Phil.

Look at the ridiculous way that food resides on the worktop, whilst precious metal has to make do with the floor.

A classic case of mistaken priorities - I'm genuinely shocked

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 26/09/2011 13:53:31

Thread: Fine cuts on Brass
26/09/2011 10:06:53
Neil is quite right.

A 1mm wide parting-off tool isn't going to be rigid enough or be of the right geometry when used for conventional turning.

I don't know why you would need a mirror finish on Meccano parts, but you won't get it straight from the tool anyway, no matter what lathe you have.

To get that kind of finish, I usually use a very fine file (No 6 cut) to remove the ridged surface left by turning, followed by the careful use of a Water of Ayr stone and Brasso.

Martin.

PS. Have you got another name - I can't bring myself to refer to you as 'Old Fart UK' all the time.

Edited By blowlamp on 26/09/2011 10:14:19

Thread: Tapping in a straight line
26/09/2011 09:07:08

You can make a similar contraption from a modified portable drill stand.

Martin.
Thread: Buying a Lathe
25/09/2011 17:51:25
Ron.

I don't want to jump on a first-time poster with the 'hard sell', but I've got a very nice Boxford VSL (4.5" centre height) lathe that I would consider selling, or, if it helps you make a decision, you could just come and have a play and a fiddle without any pressure to buy at all.

Martin.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
Warco
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
emcomachinetools
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest