By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boyes of York, good value
08/02/2019 13:30:35

They also have a set of 5 HSS slitting saws in various thicknesses for about £5 and a pair of diamond coated (both sides) disks for a similar amount.

From memory, the diamond disks are ~ 50mm diameter and the slitting saws start at around 25mm x 0.2mm & progress to something like 50mm x 0.8mm -- if I remember correctly.

Martin.

Thread: How to model the mechanism of a Taylor Chuck?
04/02/2019 22:57:34

Haven't seen one myself, but is it not just a coarse & very steeply tapered internal thread?

Martin.

Thread: VAT on eBooks
18/01/2019 12:11:13

Now that everyone is a content creator, paying for and taxing the written word could be seen as a strange concept.

Martin.

Thread: For discussing the merits of alternative 3D CAD programs.
13/01/2019 21:19:59
Posted by Ian Skeldon 2 on 13/01/2019 16:42:59:

Martin (or should it be Eddie ?) anyway, you do make it look easy with MOI, you certainly seem to know your way around that particular package, out of curiosity, what does it cost to buy?

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 13/01/2019 16:43:31

See here for the price, Ian.

I'm Martin, but my 'channel' is named after our dog, Eddie.

I'm no great expert with MoI although I seem to get it to do what I need. The real experts can model cars and engines and everything in between with it

Some examples from the MoI gallery.

Thread: Custom shape Electric radiator
13/01/2019 20:25:08
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 13/01/2019 19:58:35:

Thanks for the info, and keep it coming. I did wonder if I could roll an existing flat panel oil filled radiator, I may see if I can find one at the junk shop, roll it as an experiment. It may take sometime to find one!

Do you think you could convert a conventional central heating radiator for your purposes? I know that electric heating elements are available for bathroom rads for use in the summer months when the central heating is usually off, but you want a bit of warmth for comfort when bathing.

Martin.

13/01/2019 18:55:20

A few years ago I managed to curve three radiators to fit the bays at home and these were doubles as well.

Once I'd separated the front from the back panel, I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to curve said panel by leverage and applying weight in the right place. Single panel rads are a doddle in comparison, so you might be able to do what I did, but I have no idea what you'd do about the heating elements.

Martin.

Thread: For discussing the merits of alternative 3D CAD programs.
12/01/2019 18:06:22

Part 2.

12/01/2019 14:45:32

Talk on the Alibre Atom thread about modelling a bevel gear prompted me to have a go in MoI.

It's not too hard to do, but it takes a little while to model, so I've split the process into two videos. I'll make the next one later today.

Part 1.

Thread: Elvis at ARC
31/12/2018 14:22:48

Elvis, Angelina, Angelelvis? It's how one see oneself that seems to count nowadays, but I think it looks like James Dean.

Martin.

Thread: Simple and accurate home "switch"
30/12/2018 20:00:31

I've never installed any limit or homing switches, but if & when I need to, I think I'd consider using a set of vehicle contact breakers or an optical kind of setup.

Martin.

Thread: Machining small diameter, high l/d ratio parts "one shot"
30/12/2018 01:48:06

You could try one of these inserts that are designed for use with aluminium, they are very sharp and therefore have a lower tendency to bend long, thin parts. Use a 0.2mm radius tool to keep cutting forces low.

I would use 8mm stock with the minimum protruding from the chuck. Take as deep a cut as possible for a distance of say 10mm, for as many times as needed and take a finishing cut of around 0.1mm. Work your way along the bar in the same way until you reach the 25mm measurement. The aim being to use the rigidity of the stock to minimise deflection whilst cutting at the unsupported end.

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 30/12/2018 01:51:45

Thread: Gatwick Drone 'Attack'
26/12/2018 18:17:03

Got one from Santa this Christmas. Really good fun to play with and the camera is pretty good as well. yes

Martin.

Thread: Christmas disaster
26/12/2018 00:32:41

Crazy wasn't it? Imagine - a union leader working to protect the livelihood of his members. surprise

Thread: Gatwick Drone 'Attack'
24/12/2018 11:34:02
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 24/12/2018 11:11:26:

I think the correct response to that post might be " Don't judge others by yourself!!"

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 24/12/2018 11:11:36

Could be that: "It's easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled". A quote often attributed to Mark Twain.

23/12/2018 20:38:25
Posted by Martin of Wick on 23/12/2018 19:48:53:

when is a drone not a drone?

BBC...

...Their release came as Sussex Police said they were relying on eye witnesses and there may have been no "genuine drone activity in the first place".

Riiiiiight......

on that basis it seems that anyone wanting to disrupt critical infrastructure only needs a 'virtual' drone.

We're fooled like this all the time - you've only got to watch "'I'm a Celebrity" to know it

23/12/2018 18:54:24

I have the feeling governments everywhere will be dealing more and more with events like this, where cheap, readily available technology is used in an anonymised, decentralised way, to change the status quo.

Althought no drones have been used to my knowledge, the French authorities are finding it difficult to persue the gillet jaune protestors because no person, or group of people have formal control of the movement.

As seen at Gatwick Airport, it'll be a hard thing to fight if things like drones become involved too.

Martin.

23/12/2018 15:27:13

Is that thing still going on? I thought it had been sorted with the invasion of the country, overthrow of their government and the public execution of Saddam Hussein.

Martin.

22/12/2018 23:41:12

With all the outrage this event has exposed, I'm sure we're equally appalled when drones are used to deliver actual bombs on people.

Edited By blowlamp on 22/12/2018 23:41:55

22/12/2018 23:26:36
Posted by Hopper on 22/12/2018 23:09:09:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 22/12/2018 10:52:39:

To me the big issue is whether or not it will be considered terrorism. This would obviously open the route to longer sentences.

That is usually a bit of a political decision. If the suspect is dark complexioned with a foreign name, it's usually declared terrorism. Lily white homegrown types are usually counted as criminals.

The pair they have in custody at the moment don't appear to fit the terrorist bill. In fact, the bloke's boss says he was at work all day, so you have to wonder if the cops actually have the right couple? Or if they were some lame copycats nabbed after the main act had packed up and gone? Possibly a case of face, egg, impact for the authorities?

Like you say, it will be interesting to see how the exact charges play out in time.

Edited By Hopper on 22/12/2018 23:13:37

If they happen to have ever visited Salisbury Cathedral, then they've had it. devil

Edited By blowlamp on 22/12/2018 23:27:42

21/12/2018 15:38:58

Once bullets start flying, I wouldn't trust anyone to be able to follow their training.

Seems like quite a lot of risk assements either aren't done, are done but poorly, or ignored. How else could Grenfell Tower come about and what about the other ~ 350 UK towers clad win a similar way?

I don't give blind faith to something just because it's been risk assessed - as per my previous comment, how come no seatbelts on buses & trams?

Martin.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest