By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Which bonding agent
20/03/2022 13:28:13

It depends on the application, but some of these modern-day mastics/adhesives are super strong.

Martin.

Screwfix

Thread: Sieg SC3-400 upgrade progress
16/03/2022 20:59:14
Posted by Drew Mason 1 on 16/03/2022 18:39:32:
Posted by blowlamp on 16/03/2022 16:28:25:
Posted by Drew Mason 1 on 16/03/2022 12:07:38:

https://inverterdrive.com/

I have since found a drive on there that would supply the original dc brushless motor that the lathe came with (but where's the fun in making things easy!!)

Drew.

Is there any chance you could show the link for this drive? I've looked on their website, but couldn't identify anything I thought suitable.

This might be handy in the future, if I install another Brushless motor.

Martin.

Hi Martin

Link to drive

https://inverterdrive.com/group/AC-Inverter-Drives-230V/Invertek-Optidrive-E3-750W-1ph-3ph-IP20/

Thanks Drew.

I'll download the manual and study its features.

Martin.

16/03/2022 16:28:25
Posted by Drew Mason 1 on 16/03/2022 12:07:38:

https://inverterdrive.com/

I have since found a drive on there that would supply the original dc brushless motor that the lathe came with (but where's the fun in making things easy!!)

Drew.

Is there any chance you could show the link for this drive? I've looked on their website, but couldn't identify anything I thought suitable.

This might be handy in the future, if I install another Brushless motor.

Martin.

Thread: Help needed to lift bandsaw curse.
16/03/2022 13:00:24

It may have been mentioned already, but new blades should be 'conditioned' before normal use. Conditioning slightly removes the sharpness of the teeth and lets the new blade 'bed in' without damage.

All you need to do is take 3 or 4 cuts through some large diameter mild steel bar whilst keeping a light load on the blade. The large diameter stock helps to spread the load amongst the many teeth in contact, thus restricting damage/chipping of the blade.

The various patterns you see are normal and what I get with my lovely Nebes bandsaw too.

Martin.

Thread: Measure twice — Cut once
16/03/2022 12:29:49

I was never a fan of French cars and in particular, Citroen.

Not long ago and for some reason unknown to me, a suggestion appeared in YouTube about a Citroen DS21.

I clicked the link and it reminded me that the French have had better times. wink

If I had the money and wanted a classic car, then I think I'd go for something like this:

(Sorry about the distraction)

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 16/03/2022 12:30:54

Thread: Sieg SC3-400 upgrade progress
16/03/2022 11:58:15

I think Drew's is the first Brushless board I've heard of blowing, but it is common for the Brushed power supplies to fail.

My Clarke CL300 'popped' twice before I replaced the motor & electrics with an industrial (750 watt) Brushless sewing machine motor setup.

I managed to keep the motor in its original location and It's worked without fault ever since. It is quite similar in operation to the current Brushless offerings.

Martin.

img_20140722_164932571.jpg

Edited By blowlamp on 16/03/2022 12:03:19

16/03/2022 11:21:23

Why was Drew's original post deleted?

Martin.

Thread: Is this distasteful
10/03/2022 12:02:38

Lol.

I like to see things as they are, but a list of countries bombed by the 'good guys' is too much for some to stomach.

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 10/03/2022 12:10:23

Thread: Gear cutting with just a slitting saw
24/02/2022 14:40:32

I went the whole hog and made a proper gear cutter, although I have used Gearotic to end mill one-offs successfully too.

Gearotic generated the correct tooth profile, which I took into MoI and made the model.

DeskProto then used the resulting STL file in a rotary axis operation to make the part.

It performed very well to make some Myford ML7 bull wheels.

Martin.

gearcutter.jpg

gearcutter1.jpg

Thread: Converting .STL or .STP Files Back to a Drawing
19/02/2022 12:42:58

It's very doubtful that you'll be able to get back to original with an STL file as it is a 3D form represented by triangular faces and as such is an approximation of the original model. However, you should be able to do better with a STP file as it should contain the model as drawn.

In the software I use (MoI), I would import the STP file and extract the edges I need, duplicate them as curves, and export them out as a DXF. If you have a DXF file, then I don't see the need to convert to DWG, unless of course your software is fussy in that respect.

The gcode won't work for a few reasons, one of which is that 3D printing starts at the bottom of the job and works up, whereas milling functions in the opposite way.

Martin.

Thread: Covid
17/02/2022 01:24:29

So if it's possible to catch the virus multiple times, would that mean you could accquire variant 2 first and then get variant 1, or even have them simultaneously because of their differing characteristics?

Martin.

16/02/2022 17:24:42

Can anyone explain the mechanism by which one variant 'takes over' from another and what stops them simply coexisting? So in short, how does variant 1 know to die out when variant 2 comes along?

Martin.

16/02/2022 12:49:37

Thankfully, the FOI request from the ONS shows only around 17,500 deaths directly atributal to only the virus.

Thread: Right to Repair
09/02/2022 14:20:19

Where are the plans for all the new power stations that will be needed?

The grid will also need to have multiple times present capacity.

How many battery-packs will a fuel station have to store to keep up with demand?

Martin.

Thread: Home made lathe, only hand & power tools used.
08/02/2022 20:10:46
Thread: Emco FB2 mill - weird Z position shift
07/02/2022 15:04:53

To isolate the components of the quill, you can attach the DTI base to the head casting.

Then locate the measuring finger on various parts of the quill, including those that rotate and in addition, also to those that should remain fixed.

Hopefully, this might help pinpoint what is happening.

Martin.

Thread: New highway code rule.
06/02/2022 15:40:48
Posted by pgk pgk on 06/02/2022 13:47:27:
Posted by Mike Poole on 06/02/2022 13:28:47:

The instinctive answer to the trolley problem is to save the most people but what if the single person was the one who was going to rid the world of cancer or dementia? The more you know of the future value of the decision you make could alter the decision but it is like you only know the quantity of people you could save.

Mike

Local electrician's wife is convinced the car would decide on the ethnicity of potential victims - nothing like a ridiculous conspiracy theory to warp people’s attitude to new tech.

pgk

She probably has Black Lives Matter in mind - which is no theory .

Martin.

Thread: Green growth on car roof rails
06/02/2022 15:21:20

Use a pressure washer?

Martin.

Thread: New highway code rule.
06/02/2022 12:47:28
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 06/02/2022 12:38:55:

PKG's Trolley Problem, Do nothing, record it all on your mobile phone, put it on the net straight away seems to be the modern trend!

Dave, what is the "Code" when you park on the "Wrong" side of the road ? And when your passengers get out onto the LHS of the car - They open the door looking backwards and side swipe a cyclist who is passing the parked car.

Bob

The cyclist should already be 1m away from the vehicle - it says so in the Highway Code.

Martin.

Thread: Emco FB2 mill - weird Z position shift
06/02/2022 12:41:11
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 06/02/2022 12:36:05:

The test tells you nothing about the mill, as you don't know if the corners of the endmill are ground symmetrically.

Andrew

You need to see his second video, Andrew.

Martin.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest