By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machining Ball Screws Accurately
18/11/2020 18:25:51
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 18/11/2020 17:57:22:
Posted by blowlamp on 18/11/2020 16:19:41:

Can anyone say why it needs to be more complicated than I have already suggested?

When I machined some ballscrews a while ago, I think I found a suitable spring and wound it along the thread - a bit like a Helicoil. As the spring sat higher than the peak of the ballscrew I was able to grip the spring in the jaws of a good three-jaw chuck and so machine the screw.

Martin.

That does seem a reasonable approach, Martin

... although, of course, we don’t know if your results matched Joe’s ambitions

Mine was simply an observation prompted by the direction in which suggestions were evolving.

MichaelG.

Hi Michael, thanks for replying.

I'm only wondering how much better it would be possible to achieve.

The wire sits at the bottom of the thread (ball track if you like) and because the wire is of uniform diameter it makes an even offset from the bottom of the thread. Once it's gripped in a collet or good chuck then I think the method stands every chance of holding the part concentric to the thread itself.

All that said, I'm sure a ballscrew can simply be held by its outer diameter and machined as required without worry as long as the chuck or collet is good. All the ballscrews I have had to machine have needed straightening before machining and that can be a faff in itself.

Martin.

18/11/2020 16:19:41

Can anyone say why it needs to be more complicated than I have already suggested?

When I machined some ballscrews a while ago, I think I found a suitable spring and wound it along the thread - a bit like a Helicoil. As the spring sat higher than the peak of the ballscrew I was able to grip the spring in the jaws of a good three-jaw chuck and so machine the screw.

Martin.

17/11/2020 23:42:49

Something like this:

ballscrewwire.jpg

17/11/2020 20:39:03

Wind some wire around the thread and and grip the wire in a collet. The wire diameter should be slightly greater than the thread depth.

Martin.

Thread: ACME versus Square thread profiles
10/11/2020 16:42:36

Trapezoidal threads allow half-nuts to engage whilst not fully in alignment along their length.

Martin.

Thread: SDS. What is it?
07/11/2020 11:35:17

I don't know for sure, but I think SDS drills hammer at a much lower frequency and each hammer blow is much more powerful.

Martin.

Thread: Rack, pinion and gears.
06/11/2020 18:23:21
Posted by Howard Lewis on 06/11/2020 18:13:36:

Cutting a 9 mm pitch thread is likely to pose a bit of a problem.

With a lathe with a 3 mm pitch Leadscrew, it will be rotating three times faster than the chuck, and so place quite a load on the gear train. Torque required at the cutting tool will be three times greater at the Mandrel.

Howard

For similar situations, it's usual to power the leadscrew and let the spindle follow.

Martin.

06/11/2020 10:48:37

It seems like you need to cut a thread of 9mm pitch.

Do you have access to a lathe, Ronen?

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 06/11/2020 10:49:45

06/11/2020 10:38:30
Posted by Ronen Burstein on 06/11/2020 10:02:13:

Hi there

Maybe it’s not related to that forum but, alas,

I need to build a machine that revolve steel rod six times and at the same time advance it 9mm per one all revolution.

I sketch the machine but can’t put my head to calculate the gear.

I use hand drill for the rod revolving and I know that if I revolve the drill handle one all revelation and 5/8 of an all revelation the rod that attached to the drill will revolve six times.

I want to attach a Rack and pinion to it (to the drill gear) that will advance to rod: 6 x 9mm = 54mm.

It is to making screws.

Regards,

Ronen

This.^^^^^^

Thread: Soluble hard varnish that sticks tightly to metal?
03/11/2020 10:39:28

Would epoxy paint followed (after polishing) by paint stripper work for this task?

I found Wllko own brand paint stripper to be very effective againgst some Rustoleum twin-pack paint, which was quite abrasion resistant.

Martin.

Thread: Rubber mat.
02/11/2020 19:37:57

Machine Mart has rubber matting on the roll, in several thicknesses and surface patterns.

Martin.

Thread: New Covid Rules
01/11/2020 19:33:50

"As many as 700 potentially spreading the virus in Bristol and the surrounding area. 700 that simply do not care."

That's unbelievable!

The strange thing is Mrs Blowlamp is back to school tomorrow, where there are over 700 pupils and more than 80 members of staff!

What gives question

Edited By blowlamp on 01/11/2020 19:34:48

Edited By blowlamp on 01/11/2020 19:36:02

01/11/2020 17:13:43

It's strange as this video seems to show people are keeping their distance.

Stay safe, trust the government, don't leave your bubble. rainbow

Thread: Gib Screw Locking Methods
01/11/2020 16:54:42

When I made an improved cross slide for my Starturn lathe I made the arrangement as shown in these two pictures.

I made pushrods with combined dowels and angled faces to give better support to the gib strip. I think I applied some superglue to the threads of the grub screws and let it set before fitting them, to make them self-locking.

Martin.

cross slide1.jpg

gib push rods.jpg

Thread: For the latest in PC fashion! (Anyone here with a Master's Degree?)
28/10/2020 19:17:13
Posted by Bazyle on 28/10/2020 18:27:05:
Posted by blowlamp on 28/10/2020 10:45:09:

Does anyone know the names of the different races?

Martin.

Ball, roller, thrust......

Thanks for that... I only knew about the egg & spoon, three legged and wheelbarrow!

28/10/2020 11:23:17

If it gathers pace then Jaeger-LeCoultre will need to change their range.

28/10/2020 10:45:09

Does anyone know the names of the different races?

Martin.

Thread: .DXF Files for Meccano Chain Wheels
27/10/2020 13:23:17

A way to find the centre for the tooth flank radius of 0.125".

Martin.

25/10/2020 12:36:51

Here's mine in MoI.

Martin.

meccanoline.jpg

Thread: DRO errors, or are they??
25/10/2020 10:37:00

If the unlocked cross slide was moving whilst taking a cut, I would expect the DRO reading to fluctuate too.

Martin.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Dreweatts
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
walker midge
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest