By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: CAM software for CNC Lathes - With C axis and constrained live tool
03/01/2021 21:01:23

Joe.

Get Ecam here

Ecam is free at the weekend. You can get your job set up and tweaked on the week days and generate code at the weekend. Never the less, I've bought a full licence because I like the software and I've had a good response from the author when I've found bugs etc.

Same goes for PlanetCNC. Have you downloaded it yet? It has an unlimited simulation mode that does everything except drive a CNC machine. I test my code with it first before going into the workshop.

Get it here and run it on any platform including RaspberryPi.

Martin.

03/01/2021 20:19:35

Joe.

There are other Post Processors for Doosan, Mori-Seiki and Mazak, but you can modify one to suit your own machine too.

I have tweaked the Post Processor for my lathe (PlanetCNC) and get perfect code that I am 100% confident with.

Martin.

03/01/2021 19:07:30

Here's the video of Ecam doing some Lathe & C Axis work. It's a bit slow in parts, but should (hopefully) still get the message across.

Martin.

30/12/2020 16:33:31

For now, here's an older turning video I made which shows the basics of Ecam.

30/12/2020 13:04:53

A quick reply.

I have Ecam with Turn, Mill and C axis options. I have a 2 axis lathe and so have NOT used the C axis feature within Ecam as I don't have the hardwear to support it. I do have a 4 axis mill, but Ecam only supports 2.5 axis features. I use Deskproto for 3d work on the mill.

I have PlanetCNC on my lathe and will refit my mill with it too, when I get around to it.

PlanetCNC supports up to 9 axes, has very extensive toolchange features and seems (to me) to be just about one of the most configurable controllers available to the hobbiest market.

The PlanetCNC person who said they had a lathe with all the facilities you wanted is Mr PlanetCNC himself (Andrej, I think). He is a very, very capable individual, in that everything is created by him - both software & hardwear.

I'll try to make a video of Ecam creating a part under a C axis setup. It might be something we can both learn from. A quick play yesterday soon made a hexagon (internal or external) on some lathe barstock, as well as various hole patterns etc.

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 30/12/2020 13:08:28

29/12/2020 22:19:17

Fusion 360 CAM might do it - maybe their business model wouldn't suit you though.

Ecam is set up for lathe C axis work. It can only drill, chamfer and tap radially, but can mill/drill almost any shape coaxially to the lathe main spindle. I can try a part if you give me an idea of what you may be doing.

PlanetCNC is as capable as LinuxCNC. It has a max step rate of 110 Khz, so that may limit spindle speed resolution, but there could be ways around that.

If you're going to reposition your milling spindle between axial and radial then it's a trivial matter to switch Profiles within PlanetCNC to reflect that change - it takes only a few seconds once they are set up.

Martin.

Thread: Obtaining Serifed steel punches
18/12/2020 16:16:41

Making these stamps sounds like a nice job for a CNC milling machine.

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 18/12/2020 16:18:33

Thread: Agressive Geese on a right of way
15/12/2020 13:44:32

Foster a relationship with them, like this woman has. femalelove

Thread: Alternative to 365/office etc.
14/12/2020 22:44:56
Posted by Oven Man on 14/12/2020 22:39:38:

Try Libre Office. It is almost indentical to MS Office and requires very little relearning to use it. It's free and available as 32 bit or 64 bit.

Peter

Agreed!

Thread: Travelling in Tiers
14/12/2020 22:42:20

And now a new variant has been discovered and is spreading rapidly through southern England! surprise

Could we be any more unlucky?

It looks like Bill Gates might be correct when he says this will be the norm into 2022. crying

Shop safely, don't go out, order off Amazon, be happy. yes

Thread: Hacksaw blade orientation - your opinion please
12/12/2020 14:50:26

I'm interested in the Femi claim that reversing the direction of blade travel makes their saw cut ~ 60% faster - how does that work, I wonder?

Martin.

12/12/2020 14:39:16

Any blade that is under tension must surely be cutting on the pull, no matter from which end of the blade a person or machine drives itquestion

Martin.

Thread: Message from ARC to our customers in the E.U.
11/12/2020 14:19:47

Once the EU and the UK Gov see the effect this has on small business like ARC, they'll remove all these new regulations. roseheart

They'd never risk their people losing all they'd worked for just so Gov's could spite one another over Brexit. rainbow

11/12/2020 10:20:39

Nothing to worry about - she's got her safety spec's on. yes

10/12/2020 23:29:55
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 10/12/2020 12:33:01:

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 10/12/2020 11:36:41:

brexitlathe.jpg

Can you think of a Caption?

During the Covid lockdown, Anna had been working ‘virtually’ ... but now had the opportunity to check how her Breech-Rings compared with what Great Aunt Ruby made during the War.

**LINK**

https://www.iwmprints.org.uk/products/pod445756

MichaelG.

"If I'm going to be operating this thing again tomorrow, I'll make sure I wear a top that doesn't clash!"

Thread: Drilling 8mm hole in HSS hacksaw blades
06/12/2020 00:19:15

You could use a Dremel type of tool with a cheap diamond cutter to grind your way through or maybe a diamond core-drill like these here

Martin.

Thread: New Covid Rules
05/12/2020 13:10:23
Posted by V8Eng on 05/12/2020 12:23:12:

HaHa yes but it does say Library Pictures on there

Edited By V8Eng on 05/12/2020 12:24:00

Edited By V8Eng on 05/12/2020 12:24:38

Oh gosh, I hope the BBC haven't misrepresented Boris & Ursula on today's (05/12/2020) BBC Breakfast, by showing them seemingly not adhering to the Hands, Face, Space rules!

Stay in bubble, keep apart, be safe! rainbow

Edited By blowlamp on 05/12/2020 13:25:01

Thread: Travelling in Tiers
03/12/2020 00:15:22

To be on the safe side, maybe have a scotch egg before travelling or wait until next week for a life-saving jab.

Stay safe, stay put, don't mix. rainbow

Thread: co-axial indicators
02/12/2020 11:37:53
Posted by thaiguzzi on 02/12/2020 09:13:31:
Posted by blowlamp on 01/12/2020 11:22:24:

The neat thing about using a rotary edge finder - and in particular along with a DRO centre function - is how the centring accuracy 'homes in' if you repeat the procedure once or twice.

Martin.

What's a DRO ? smile d

It's a Digital ReadOut.

Just for information, they usually have a centring function whereby you 'touch off' the first edge and zero the display, then 'touch off' the opposite edge (the reading might be say 37.42mm), press the Half button (centring function) and the display will read 18.71mm. Moving that axis until the DRO displays zero now means you are at the centre of the part.

Martin.

01/12/2020 11:22:24

The neat thing about using a rotary edge finder - and in particular along with a DRO centre function - is how the centring accuracy 'homes in' if you repeat the procedure once or twice.

Martin.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Warco
cowells
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
walker midge
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest