By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: West Yorkshire Police
27/06/2020 12:08:08
Posted by Barrie Lever on 27/06/2020 12:01:41:

You cannot have a second stab at it !!smiley

A different Martin!?

27/06/2020 12:01:03

Did the airbag warning system detect an acceleration from the rear impact, rather than a deceleration, thus deciding not to deploy?

Martin.

Thread: 2mm endmill help
27/06/2020 11:44:01

How close is the fit between the parallel part of the collet and the bore it locates into in the spindle?

I found with my Dremel type hand tool that there was quite a bit of clearance here which caused significant runout of the cutter. I made new collets that fitted the bore closely and it helped tremendously in reducing runout. I used a drill shank to 'measure' the bore size.

Martin.

Thread: Change to the Code of Conduct
24/06/2020 13:54:17

The only thing missing I can think of at the moment is the ability to upload and share files like DXF & ZIP.

The option to share can be a great help if you get stuck with your CAD/CAM system or something.

Martin.

23/06/2020 21:15:14
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 23/06/2020 18:56:19:
Posted by blowlamp on 23/06/2020 16:48:14:

How do you know that - you don't think purchases/digital subs of the magazines advertised here could go towards running this site?

What kind of profit do you think MyTimeMedia and their advertisers would have if it weren't for the other "three groups" that populate this place?

I think, Martin, that the answer is how many other hobby magazines have as busy a forum as this one?

We aren't ignorant or the fact that providing a linked space for readers helps the magazines - my personal view is that the forum provides a sort of 'virtual club' that helps bring readers from all over the world and both magazines together.

Most companies with a forum as busy as this (it's arguably the busiest hobby engineering forum on the web, certainly in the top two) would be breaking their necks to monetise it by doing far more than just selling a modest amount of adversing space.

But most magazines operate without an accompanying forum, even if they have a website the majority just allow discussion of articles.

But the forum represents an investment by the publishers that has to justify its ongoing costs (and hopefullly future investment). That means raising direct income, whatever the intangible benefits of sustaining the readership and the wider hobby.

As someone who has shown themselves to be a shrewd investor, I would have thought you would appreciate this perspective more than most?

Neil

Hi Neil.

I agree, it is a very knowledgable & active forum and I think that's why we stay and contribute.

The purpose of my few posts was only to serve as a reminder that all parties need consideration for the site to keep working - so it's not only MyTimeMedia & its advertisers that are important, the customers and participants are too and I wanted to bring that into the conversation.

For instance, it's very often the case that forum members recommend products sold through businesses featured here, so in effect, we are sometimes unpaid advertisers and should be appreciated as such.

When all is said and done, this site could probably survive without outside advertisers, but not without its members, which is the thing I think is most important to remember.

You have a difficult balancing act keeping advertisers and customers/contributors happy, no doubt about that!

Martin.

23/06/2020 16:48:14
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 23/06/2020 15:27:05:
Posted by blowlamp on 23/06/2020 14:15:50:
Posted by Paul Rhodes on 23/06/2020 13:20:14:

He who pays the piper calls the tune......so why are we surprised that advertisers are disgruntled.?

Assuming that discussion is permitted and common sense vetting applied by the moderators, and I do not doubt it, who can object?

Some might think that is the forum contributors, magazine purchasers and digital subscribers.

But while all three groups are users or potential users of the site, it is MyTimeMedia and the advertisers who provide it and pay for it, not these three groups.

The only problem with common sense is that there will always be someone who doesn't think it is and gets upset, but if the owners and funders of anything in the public eye set the rules so be it.

How do you know that - you don't think purchases/digital subs of the magazines advertised here could go towards running this site?

What kind of profit do you think MyTimeMedia and their advertisers would have if it weren't for the other "three groups" that populate this place?

23/06/2020 14:15:50
Posted by Paul Rhodes on 23/06/2020 13:20:14:

He who pays the piper calls the tune......so why are we surprised that advertisers are disgruntled.?

Assuming that discussion is permitted and common sense vetting applied by the moderators, and I do not doubt it, who can object?

Some might think that is the forum contributors, magazine purchasers and digital subscribers.

23/06/2020 11:50:25
Posted by JasonB on 23/06/2020 07:38:25:

Hopefully Neil will be along later to answer some of the queries but I'll add a bit.

No problem with linking to UK, European or worldwide suppliers that are bona fide companies who comply with their tax, safety, etc laws does not restrict you to only mentioning our advertisers so you could for example mention Warco, Greenwood, ARC or Cutwell APT, Zoro, or RC Machine, Barrie's BT30 supplier & GHW or PM Research, Ej Winter and so on.

How would I ever know for sure those businesses fully comply with anything? Is Banggood OK to link to?

Martin.

Thread: Boxford 280 spindle nose runout
22/06/2020 14:41:54
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 22/06/2020 14:07:22:

Boxford didn't make a 280 lathe, but Myford did.

The fitting is Camlock, so the spindle doesn't have a radial register or threads. The Camlock system primarily mates on the outer taper. Measurements on my lathe spindle Camlock give a runout on the back face of 0.01mm and a runout on the outside taper estimated to be 0.002mm. The inside of the taper plays no part in mounting the chuck so it's runout, or otherwise, doesn't tell one anything.

The runout on the back face seems a lot to me, but it would be a bad idea to try and machine it. I think Camlock parts are hardened which makes life more difficult. I'd agree wth JasonB, the best bet is to machine the chuck backplate in situ. But make sure you mark it so that it can be replaced in the same orientation each time, otherwise it won't run true.

Andrew

They did Andrew, it was quite similar to a Harrison M250.

It's strange that the flat face is so far out of plane because it would have been ground along with the small tapered register. That small internal taper was probably used to mount the spindle between centres when it was ground.

If I remember correctly, these two surfaces are designed to come into contact one after the other - so cone first followed by the flat surface/register. I think the cone is a very small interference fit of maybe ~ 0.0001" to ensure centralisation of the chuck. It would be hard to skim that surface and maintain the right kind of fit.

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 22/06/2020 14:43:16

Thread: Pesky Government Announcement!
20/06/2020 12:40:44
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 20/06/2020 12:05:25:
Posted by blowlamp on 20/06/2020 10:58:47:

As far as I am aware, there has never been a conviction using 'evidence' from a so called TV Detector Van.

Martin.

I don't think it's needed. First step is to identify potential licence dodgers by checking addresses against the register of licences. There's no need for this to be mentioned in evidence. Second step is to turn up at the address and see if there's "reasonable cause". A TV visible through a window, or an antenna on the roof would elicit a knock on the door. As would a electronic detector reporting a positive result, perhaps pointing to a room round the back or a particular flat in a block. None of these detections need be offered as evidence. The evidence is provided by the third stage, in which the occupier is challenged by a team, including a Special Constable, who find the physical TV set, switched on or still warm. How they found the TV is irrelevant.

Dave

Dear God. That we have been so conditioned into thinking this is acceptable. Strangers turn up at your home demanding to know what you've been looking at. Truly frightening.

Martin.

20/06/2020 10:58:47

As far as I am aware, there has never been a conviction using 'evidence' from a so called TV Detector Van.

Martin.

Thread: Convert PDF to DXF?
14/06/2020 17:15:47

Download the 30 day trial of MoI here

Open your PDF into MoI and then Save or Export it as a DXF.

Failing that, send me your PDF and I'll do it for you. smiley

Martin.

Thread: Myford S7 Cutting Barrel Shaped Cylinders
09/06/2020 19:10:19
Posted by Mike Donnerstag on 09/06/2020 15:42:41:

Unfortunately they're all for an ML7, and I have a Super 7 with power cross-feed. I have just saved a search, so at least I should be notified if a good one comes up.

Just for interest, did you notice who the seller is??

Mike

Yes I did. What I found disappointing was the poor grinding as shown in the third picture - no way would Myford Nottingham have let that out.

Martin.

09/06/2020 15:33:25
Posted by Mike Donnerstag on 09/06/2020 15:22:28:

Just a correction to my previous post: the price by Myford for a bed and saddle regrind is £660 +VAT = £792. They are quoting turnaround times of between a fortnight and 2-3 months due to having skeleton staff and relying upon the engineering firm they use.

Mike

Wow!

They have couple of beds on ebay at the moment - take a look at the third picture here

It doesn't look very good to me. surprise

Thread: Can you guess what this object is?
06/06/2020 13:47:34

It looks like 4 half cones placed back to back and joined.

Thread: Another way to cut a face groove
06/06/2020 12:20:09

I'd have used my milling machine and rotary table, but only because I don't have a Quick Step attachment for my lathe. smiley

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 06/06/2020 12:20:57

Thread: Myford S7 Cutting Barrel Shaped Cylinders
03/06/2020 17:50:44

Once you have the saddle upside down on your mill, you should be able to use your DTI to pick up on the unworn face that the gib screws come through. That should put you at the same starting point Myford had when they made it, then you can compare how far out the worn face is.

The 'black art' is pattern scraping, where you see all that lovely decoration on slides and tables, but it isn't what you need or would be doing anyway.

All you need to do is remove small areas to get a better fit - you're not concerned about it looking pretty, it just has to be functional.

If you can get a decent SHARP scraper, you'll soon see how easily it will shave off thin layers of metal. All you do is make parallel cuts through the high areas ( indicated by a concentration of 'blue' ) in a criss-cross pattern - don't fixate on tiny little bits of blue that remain or you'll be there forever, simply re-blue and repeat until you have a covering of spots all over. Don't expect the bit you're scraping to ever be a solid wall of blue, it'll only be dots.

As the lathe bed is chamfered don't worry about milling into the root of the saddle as there's no contact there anyway.

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 03/06/2020 17:51:21

03/06/2020 10:00:58
Posted by Mike Donnerstag on 03/06/2020 09:32:51:

I have a Sieg SX3 milling machine. Is this something I could do on the mill, or do you think it should be ground?

It should be fine if your mill is in good fettle and you use a sharp tool. Myford themselves milled the vertical shears of their lathes rather than grind them.

Take your time in setting it up and take the lightest of skims to remove the wear.

For that particular face, it would be nice to have it very slightly hollow in the middle so as to ensure it doesn't rock in use. At the factory they just scraped the area a little more heavily to get this effect, so it would be good if you could do similar, even if it was by gently filing.

Martin.

02/06/2020 20:12:48

Mike, do you live in Nottingham?

Martin.

Thread: Coronavirus
02/06/2020 16:25:21

Martin Kyte Said:

"The number of actual deaths stands at 40,000 whic would give you 4,000000 infections or around 6% of the population which is in line with the antibody surveys currently being carried out.

Thus the effectiveness of the lockdown is seenby dividing the actual deaths with lockdown by the estimated deaths without lockdown which woud be 40,000/666,000 = 0.0006 or 0.6%.

Put it another way because of the lockdown, so far we have had 0.6% of the deaths we could have had if we had carried on as normal which is a pretty good argument for doing as we did."

So if 40,000 deaths equals 0.6% of the official estimate then that estimate must have been 6,666,666 deaths because 100/0.6 = 166.666... Therefore 40,000 * 166.66 = 6,666,666 predicted deaths in the UK alone. At the moment there aren't even that many confirmed cases worldwide and with only 371,000 deaths worldwide.

Your argument implies 6,666,666 - 40,000 = 6,626,666 lives saved in the UK because of lock down restrictions, which would be phenominal if true, but this estimate is a guess and if it's the best guess of Prof Neil Ferguson then don't expect it to be anywhere near reality. His guesses are so inaccurate even he doesn't heed them, hence his departure from the scene.

I admit I don't know how 6,666.666 people were predicted to die in the UK if the population wasn't locked up for more than ten weeks. Maybe I don't understand the theory of lockdown.

Martin.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest