By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: diameter calculation
12/10/2019 01:07:33

One coordinate system will always be an approximation of the other but for use in our workshops Cartesian will always be the best option. Positional errors in rotary division equipment change depending on the target radius, getting larger as the radius increases which doesn't happen in the same way when using coordinate equipment, although perpendicularity between the axes must be maintained for the machining to be reliable.

I would far rather make a division plate using a DRO on a milling machine than use a rotary table or dividing head if I wanted the best accuracy.

11/10/2019 16:19:02

What about the large circle tangent to the three small circles, inside or outside the large circle? devil

Thread: Worried
28/09/2019 12:32:24

I can get around 25 miles per Ginster on my pushbike. In contrast, a Greggs vegan sausage roll gives higher emissions and lower hill climbing ability.

26/09/2019 21:11:07

I like the metric system, but I don't get the way that is often used nowadays of describing an object as (say) 8 times smaller than something - whats wrong with it being 1/8th the size? Seems to me that you've got to be a mental gymnast to work that one out... Think like it's 8 times bigger but then reverse big into small. question thinking

Thread: drillling bronze
13/09/2019 22:02:53

If it's pink bronze then you'll probably have better luck with a drill styled like the one on the left.

It'll cut at the centre without rubbing, unlike the one on the right.

Martin.

drill-point-final-135-vs.-118-1.jpg

Thread: Current leakage om CNC
25/08/2019 11:22:47

I had a similar thing happen with my CNC lathe a while ago.

See page 2 of this discussion for what was wrong with my machine.

Martin.

Thread: What 3 Words
16/08/2019 00:11:01

Where am I...

...The Tea Room.

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
18/07/2019 09:40:13
Posted by Blue Heeler on 18/07/2019 00:27:27:
Posted by blowlamp on 17/07/2019 23:35:25:
Posted by Dave Halford on 17/07/2019 18:52:33:
Posted by Blue Heeler on 17/07/2019 01:46:23:

And this one...you have to smile -

well, at least they have people with facial hair and jaundice covered.

We're up to LGBTQQIAAP now, so expect to see a few more 'variants' of these 21st century emoji couples. devil

What about tattooed people? They must be feeling rightly discriminated against. I can't go anywhere and not see people proudly wearing ink. Sometimes if I have been a bit messy with the Dykem I feel a bit of the 'in' crowd.

Yeah, and they're only showing couples. Where's the representation for the single, green/blue/pink/purple haired cat-ladies? rainbow

Looking again, I see there needs some kind of campaign (maybe a pride march?) to let folks know that it is alright to part your hair differently & be daring in your choice of clothes too! party

17/07/2019 23:35:25
Posted by Dave Halford on 17/07/2019 18:52:33:
Posted by Blue Heeler on 17/07/2019 01:46:23:

And this one...you have to smile -

well, at least they have people with facial hair and jaundice covered.

We're up to LGBTQQIAAP now, so expect to see a few more 'variants' of these 21st century emoji couples. devil

Thread: RequiredOutside Diameter to Cut 5/16 BSF Thread
23/06/2019 13:53:30

0.3125" or 5/16"

Martin.

Thread: Is CAD for Me?
22/06/2019 11:38:43
Posted by Barrie Lever on 22/06/2019 11:22:49:

Nigel

Well MOI is just very good at creating 3D models, you can then use that 3D model for a fancy illustration or to go to manufacturing (machining or printing)

Alibre, Solidworks or Fusion 360 would beat MOI for the bevel gear illustrated by Andrew and Jason, although MOI would do the job. MOI would beat Fusion, Alibre and Solidworks for producing a very organic surface model like the wingtip of the model plane.

You are correct, BobCAD produces the tool paths over the 3D model, 70% of CAM packages use the same Kernel or Engine (I prefer to call it the heart) which comes from a German company called Moduleworks, so you do hear some right old rubbish spoken about one CAM package being better than another when actually in 70% of the cases we are talking about the same thing. BobCAD uses the Moduleworks kernel.

I use the following CAD packages

• Bricscad (good AutoCAD clone) for very high quality 2D drawings with full annotations etc.
  • MOI for very organic shapes ( and being a 3D CAD viewer)
  • Alibre for mechanical prismatic type models and assemblies such as the bevel gear.
  • BobCAD for single 3D models not in assembly that will be machined.

If I could only have one 3D CAD package and I was not going to machine parts then I would go for MOI, if I could only have one 3D CAD package and I had to machine parts using that CAD package to produce G code then it would be BobCAD.

I think Solidworks proabably comes closest to being an all round do everything package but I dont like the price circa £5000 plus VAT and I have a heavy time investment in the CAD packages that I use already.

Fusion 360 is out for me as I also use the CAD commercially and I am above the commercial cut off point, also at some stage the freebe side of Fusion 360 will get withdrawn IMO.

Regards

Barrie

I did a bevel gear in MoI a while ago.

22/06/2019 11:32:42
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 22/06/2019 10:26:00:

Blowlamp -

I had that idea from the sites referred to above. The publishers like to show their software's maximum capabilities. Whilst I understand that, I find it a bit off-putting even though I know the artwork is by the publisher's professional designers pushing the software to its limits.

The packaging for my copy of TurboCAD contains a card advertising the agent (Paul Tracey). He used on it, rather more down-to-Earth, 3D images of assemblies for a miniature locomotive: a 4-wheel bogie in plain view with moderate tinting, a luridly rendered pony-truck, and the boiler manifold in wire-frame view. The last is so "busy" it loses details.

Barrie -

CNC cutting or Printing - either way, my point was I took MOI as primarily for CAM files. However, CNC machining or printing is not available to me; and I need primarily orthographic engineering drawings, with isometric views potentially useful but not so important.

'

Impressive examples you give though. You designed the aircraft parts in MOI, but I take it BobCAD is essentially the machine-tool programmer building tool-paths etc. around the MOI file?

I like that aid to clarity shown in the second screen-shot, by tinting different parts of a wire-frame assembly. I've found colours particularly valuable in an assembly-drawing when I need pick out individuals of repeated components in crowded elevations. If left in one colour, the drawing starts to resemble well-boiled spaghetti.

Recently I completed some structural-geology diagrams in 3D, using colours to differentiate the strata represented geometrically by extrusions. One looked very odd, as if the bed of rock had been mined out of the hill. Then light dawned: to make that layer white and solid, fill its generating shape with white from the colour-chart, not just leave it empty (" white " on the screen).

I can see that CAD isn't for you. You make assumptions and then wonder why nothing works for you

It's not possible to gain any reasonable overview of MoI from the link you have referred to as it's just there to give a an idea of MoI's capabilities if you have the skill to make use of them. It simply says MoI is easy to use, but is capable of complex things for the more adventurous user.

21/06/2019 23:42:23
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 21/06/2019 23:23:50:

MOI was totally new to me; but thank you for showing me.

I looked at the links Michael offers. MOI seems really for 3D printing ornamental rather than engineering work...

Where did you get that idea from?

21/06/2019 19:23:15

I made a short video with MoI.

21/06/2019 18:26:01
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 21/06/2019 18:07:42:

MoI is also a fantastic complementary tool for a polygon-based artist since its CAD toolset and advanced boolean functions enable extremely rapid creation of mechanical or man-made type “hard surface” models. The icing on the cake is MoI’s unique polygon mesh export that generates exceptionally clean and crisp N-Gon polygon meshes from CAD NURBS models.

Bearing in mind the title of this thread .... A bit jargon-laden is it not ?

MichaelG.

The text I've highlighted above leads me to think that paragraph is aimed at the well-versed user or professional modeller, so some jargon might be necessary. smiley

21/06/2019 18:02:38
Posted by Brian H on 21/06/2019 16:47:19:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 21/06/2019 08:46:20:
Posted by blowlamp on 20/06/2019 23:33:48:

It doesn't sound like CAD is for you, but you'll never know for sure until you check out MoI.

Maybe true ... 'though the introductory text doesn't inspire confidence that it will be an easy ride:

**LINK** http://moi3d.com/

MichaelG.

Edit: This might be a good place to start:

**LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 21/06/2019 08:48:40

MOI Moment Of Inspiration.

Brian

No CAD system is a complete breeze, but which bit of text in the link do you think doesn't inspire confidence?

20/06/2019 23:33:48
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 20/06/2019 22:15:15:

Alibre's at it again - e-posting me things I can't use! This time I'd left Atom loaded, but when I tried to open the simplest of several exercises they'd sent, Alibre told me (more or less), "SHAN'T! Licence expired!".

Clearly one department not knowing what the other's done. Mind you, the exercises all looked far more advanced than that scribing-block in the MEW series.

'

Tried again following the introductory exercise on the introductory CD issued with the TurboCAD programme itself. At least it uses step-by-step instructions, not a wretched video of an expert showing he finds CAD easy. At the dimensioning stage it all went to rats as every attempt to dimension it as it told me, failed on an error message about no snap points or something. I found I have to dimension objects only approximately, by eye, then edit the value texts to the right numbers; so defeating one of the programmes' main features.

'

So what now?

Obviously, I can't learn 3D modelling. Unfortunately though, nor can I learn 2D (orthographic) CAD drawing beyond a very basic level.

Is CAD for me?

Well, yes, but only at a very primitive level of rough, single-layer, 2D drawings with semi-manual dimension and line-type editing, and non-scale prints. Its only advantages over manual drawing are such as easily copying objects around the image.

It doesn't sound like CAD is for you, but you'll never know for sure until you check out MoI.

Thread: Feeds and Speeds! 0.4mm milling cutters...
29/05/2019 20:24:24
Posted by John Haine on 29/05/2019 20:18:15:

Sorry to rain on your parade, but better cutters to use are engraving cutters. You can get a pack of 10 TC cutters for not a lot from eBay. Look for LineGrinder SW on Google, I recall it has a lot of useful info about which cutters to use and the process. Run as fast as you can in the spindle - I used 6000 rpm, feeding at 100 mm/min and didn't break a cutter.

Ditto. Beat me to it. smiley

They are much stronger due to being tapered.

Martin.

Thread: Parting off query
17/05/2019 14:20:19
Posted by Plasma on 16/05/2019 19:32:36:

Cheers Jason, HSS blade, front tool post lathe in reverse with power feed 440rpm.

I will check the items you mentioned, got to be some thing simple as never had it before.

Plus now I come to think of it blade snapped a few weeks ago and i reversed it, may have upset something.

Mick

What do you mean when you say "and I reversed it"?

HSS parting blades are usually asymmetric,viewed from the front, so the cutting clearances will go to hell if you managed to flip it over to use the back end of the blade.

Martin.

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
11/05/2019 10:37:54

Are you sure that your computer hardware isn't 64 bit?

I once had a 64 bit laptop running a 32 bit version of Windows, as the result of a like-for-like version update.

I think I had to wipe the hard drive to allow a 64 bit O/S installation.

Martin.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest