By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vectric Vcarve upgrade to 10.5
12/07/2020 12:38:46

This Vectric thread milling video came up in my suggestions whilst browsing the tube.

Martin.

Thread: Any body with experience of CNC PLC Controllers DDCSV 1.1 2.1 3.1 RMHV 2.1
10/07/2020 11:07:07

If you already have a suitable RaspberryPi then PlanetCNC could work for you.

I use a Windows & PlanetCNC setup and I have no complaints at all with it. I feel it would be a more flexible solution than a DDCSV, but of course you'd still need a monitor & keyboard.

Martin.

Thread: Myford S7 Cutting Barrel Shaped Cylinders
05/07/2020 22:34:49
Posted by Mike Donnerstag on 05/07/2020 22:14:13:

Great advice Martin - makes complete sense. Am I right to assume that these surfaces need to be ground rather than milled?

No, they're OK milled as long as the cutter's sharp and you get a clean finish you'll be fine. Infact you're better off milling the sliding part anyway as it's easier to scrape because the surface isn't as skiddy under the scraper.

Martin.

05/07/2020 19:03:35

Provided your saddle isn't too worn, it's perfectly possible to skim the worn face.

To keep it simple you should try to maintain the current 'step' measurement between the sliding (worn) face and that face which the apron is bolted to. This is to ensure minimal misalignment with the rack and leadscrew.

If your 'step' measurement is currently 0.5" from face to face and you skim off 0.008", then you also remove the same amount from the saddle mounting face too. The same goes for the rear of the saddle, where its gib strip locates.

Once machined, a lick with the scraper would assure a better fit.

Martin.

Thread: Coronavirus, advice from ME
05/07/2020 12:34:31
Posted by Hopper on 05/07/2020 02:47:56:
Posted by blowlamp on 04/07/2020 22:40:35:

Am I missing something here?

Well yeah. You are missing the clearly stated definition of HCID. It hinges on the fatality rate. For Covid19 that is somewhere about 1 to 3 per cent. HCID diseases are those such as Ebola that is clearly listed and has a fatality rate of 25 to 90 per cent. Huge, huge difference.

So Covid19 is not in the same league as Ebola. But that does not mean you can just do away with lockdowns and carry on. As they are currently finding out in places like Texas and Florida where lockdowns were lifted and deaths went through the roof in the past week or two.

The website you linked to is clearly too complex for you to understand the finer points of, not being a medical professional. So you should listen to what the nation's chief medical officers are telling you in simple language daily on the news. They know more about medical science than you do.

Oh sorry.

Only when I saw on their web page: "They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall)". I thought they were saying overall mortality rates were low.

You can rest assured that, like you, I'll stop trying to understand what words mean and instead trust the word of polititians and the likes of Neil Ferguson and base my future on it.

Sorry if I interrupted the simple language you must be listening to on the daily news.

04/07/2020 22:40:35

Am I missing something here?

How can a gov decide to reduce the fundamental threat status of Covid-19 (months ago!) while it's still claiming and acting as if we're in deep danger from it?

That link is to a government website and amongst other things states that: "As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious disease (HCID) in the UK."... and ..."They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall)".

They're the gov's own words, so where's the conspiracy theory there?

Keeping the country on lockdown for months despite this hugely downgraded 'threat' makes no sense to me unless something else is going on.

If I'm misunderstanding something then I think they need to make their message clearer for people like me.

Martin.

04/07/2020 18:52:23
Posted by JA on 04/07/2020 18:38:26:
Posted by blowlamp on 04/07/2020 18:03:37:

Here's some advice from me: Read this government web page. thinking

Look at the last update date. Fake news.

JA

Do you have a link I could look at?

Martin.

04/07/2020 18:03:37

Here's some advice from me: Read this government web page. thinking

Thread: Part breakout /fixturing
03/07/2020 22:15:42

You could cut right through, but leave a few small & thin holding tabs to keep the part in place.

The next stage would be to generate a toolpath that cuts away those tabs, but before running the code, apply some hot-melt glue in the already cut areas to provide support whilst the tabs are cut.

So similar to you own idea except no need to grind the the other side to release the part.

Martin.

Thread: Old School Drawing Exercises and 2D CAD
03/07/2020 16:10:57

Drawn with three arcs and it's not too far out, using SODs clue about the 1.5" arc.

Martin.

moulding.jpg

Edited By blowlamp on 03/07/2020 16:16:09

03/07/2020 13:22:38

My best guess for the centre location of the 1.5" rad arc is at about 2.5" to the right & 1.5" down from the top/left corner. I'm suspecting a 0.625" rad arc at the top and a 3.125" rad arc at the bottom to join all three together tangentially.

Martin.

02/07/2020 11:10:17

Easy in CAD whichever way you do it. smiley

Thread: Exploding Grinding Wheel
30/06/2020 10:54:08
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 30/06/2020 09:42:24:
Posted by andrew lyner on 29/06/2020 23:59:23:
Is the risk real or is it just the fear of litigation that makes managers so careful about grinding? ...

Both!

People are thoroughly bad at assessing risk. A common mistake is to assume because we personally have never seen something bad happen, it's not worth worrying about. Rubbish!

Been driving half a century and I've never seen a fatal road accident. Despite that 1870 Brits were killed on the road last year. I don't know anyone hospitalised by Covid, but as of today it's bumped off 43,575 UK residents. In both examples our personal risk has been reduced by aggressively managing the causes. Unfortunately, the absence of trouble then causes ignorant opinion to assume there was no problem in the first place. Let's get rid of all those Nanny State road safety measures.

Managers are responsible for the actions of their workforce and get no sympathy from owners, Insurance companies and the Courts when El Thicko causes an accident on the shop floor. Curious thing about El Thicko; frequently heard denouncing H&S in the bar, he becomes completely invisible the instant an incident leaves blood on the floor! These blokes never admit their ignorant macho posturing provoked a mate into taking stupid shortcuts.

Dave

Has it really bumped off that many, or does that number include those that died with Corona virus rather than of it, or Corona related, or Corona suspected, or any other thing that is designed to make you think it's a Covid-19 death?

El Thicko could also be seen as those that are taken in by what they see on TV and read in the press and aren't interested in alternative views and opinions.

Sexist Comment: "These blokes never admit their ignorant macho posturing provoked a mate into taking stupid shortcuts".

Martin.

Thread: Free or inexpensive 2D cad for clock wheels
30/06/2020 00:07:58

Gearotic would be ideal for a clockmaker like yourself, but unfortunately it is $120 USD.

Martin.

Thread: Mill unexpectedly cutting crooked
30/06/2020 00:04:35
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 29/06/2020 22:56:03:
Posted by blowlamp on 29/06/2020 22:14:32:

It sounds like the workpiece is lifting as it's being cut.........

I wondered about that too, or if the work was being curved upwards due to pressure from the vice. But the OP states he had the same effect on a 40x6 part, so presumably not?

Andrew

The cutter helix could provide the pulling force, but there would need to be some slack somewhere or inadequate grip of the workpiece to give the movement.

Maybe bowed vise jaws or a slighlty barrel-shaped workpiece would allow the part to pivot up at its pinch-point in the jaws. Loose vise jaws, even?

Martin.

29/06/2020 22:14:32

It sounds like the workpiece is lifting as it's being cut, if I'm seeing the problem correctly.

Martin.

Thread: Coronavirus, advice from ME
29/06/2020 18:07:43

I don't get ME, but I still want to know what's been said!!

Was it something Podiatry related?

Martin.

Thread: ER32 frustration
29/06/2020 12:31:26

Does the nut screw on OK without a collet?

Martin.

Thread: fusion 360 cam
27/06/2020 21:16:18

Ecam does a similar job to Fusion 360 using its Contour strategy. You can either define a stock model of the desired shape or use a ready-defined block adjusted to your own dimensions.

Whilst not a 3D system, it is fairly straightforward to use and it doesn't have the learning curve of Fusion 360 either.

Unlike Fusion 360, Ecam isn't free, except at the weekend (Sat/Sun), but this might well be enough for some people regardless.

Demo video I did with Ecam's solution.

Martin.

Thread: 2mm endmill help
27/06/2020 15:02:20
Posted by Andy Carlson on 27/06/2020 14:20:41:

@blowlamp: Interesting thought. Thanks. The collet mikes at 186.4 thou which seems suspiciously close to 3/16 for such a metric machine. My 3/16 brass bar mikes at 187 and is a fairly loose fit in the collet holder. I thought 5mm... My 5mm drill shank mikes at 194.4 thou (4.93mm) and won't go in. That's about exhausted my stock of things in this sze range. I might have a try making a new collet but my only slitting saws are too thick for that job so it won't be any time soon.

@Jason: I have just bought a 1mm stub cutter from Arc Euro but so far it has not been on the machine so I'm not able to say anything much about it. Any thoughts on how the geometry compares to the Proxxon ones?

If you can get some good dimensions of your collet, I could CNC one up for you to try if you think yours is slack.

Just let me know if you want one doing.

Martin.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest