By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Levelling Myford Super 7
07/05/2021 16:59:39

It sounds good to go to me.

Martin.

Thread: CNC Lathe Scratch Build
26/04/2021 11:52:56

Wouldn't a detent arrangement be easier to make?

What would make me think twice about using a Hirth coupling is how many faces need to be in simultaneous contact when indexed and how feasible it would be to machine the coupling to the required accuracy.

Because of its design it seems to me that the Hirth coupling is self-centring, so if used with a close fitting bearing there could also be issues with binding whereby the coupling can not fully seat because it's restrained radially by the bearing.

Martin.

Thread: Covid TV updates.
22/04/2021 12:20:33
Thread: Net Zero
22/04/2021 11:39:43
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/04/2021 11:03:44:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 22/04/2021 09:40:24:

Still struggling to know whether you actually read the link that I posted, Ady

... I think we’re probably ‘on the same side

... but perhaps not ‘on the same page

MichaelG.

Classic! As Ady knows exactly what he means by 'it', he hasn't realised his post can be read in entirely opposite senses. I do this too, often finding people responding to what I said rather than what I meant, oh dear! It's hard to be clear. However, judging by Ady's 09:17 post, Michael is probably right about being on the same side but not on the same page!

It hadn't occurred to me before reading Michael's link that decision makers would be stupid enough to delay climate change counter-measures as a result of assuming net-zero will achieved by applying technology that doesn't exist. Yet it seems to be true! Was it Saint Aquinas who prayed for the gift of celibacy, but not yet?

I'm optimistic energy needs can be met with a combination of Green technology and relatively painless societal change. But that's of little value unless global warming is also controlled. I'm reminded of the boiling frog experiment: when frogs are gradually warmed up in water, they cheerfully stay put until cooked. So it is with people: we aren't good at managing risk and particularly bad unless problems are bleeding obvious. Very inclined to believe slow change isn't happening.

Many examples from history. Although medical research clearly indicated by 1930 that smoking is a major killer, tobacco companies successfully delayed reform by arguing inadequate proof, paying for confusing counter-opinion, fudging statistics, claiming freedom of trade, bribery, lobbying, and banging the personal freedom drum. We're all guilty, and maybe it was for the best anyway. I see advantage in a product that collects a huge amount of tax from working age people and then dramatically reduces the pension bill by bumping them off! Can't see any value in long-term global warming though - only chaotic change.

sad

Dave

Are you serious?

Edited By blowlamp on 22/04/2021 11:40:33

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
19/04/2021 12:14:02
Posted by Ady1 on 19/04/2021 09:42:19:

Downside to this industry are muppets who print weaponry which could bring in regulation like what happened with drone technology

There are a lot of muppets out there

Spain dismantles workshop making 3D-printed weapons

We live in strange times.

I saw this photograph of a funeral on Saturday.and someone (lower left) was carrying a machine gun!

Thread: New Covid Rules
18/04/2021 15:38:37
Thread: Water based rust inhibitor
14/03/2021 00:44:38

What about some Antifreeze?

Thread: 2-Part Covid Vaccinations
03/03/2021 10:52:33
Posted by Bill Dawes on 03/03/2021 10:03:20:

Looking at Peter Greene's graph I must be particularly dense this morning, it is peaking around the 6000 mark, I don't know what the UK figure were on the first day or so of roll out but for some time now we have been in the hundreds of thousands per day, over half a million at times, someone put me out of my misery please and explain where I am going wrong in my interpretation, surprised no one else has not commented which makes me think it is me.

Bill D.

Yes, now you point it out, at around 6000 jabs per day, it would take over 3300 days (9 years) to administer the 20,000,000 the government says it has already given.

There must be a simple explanation to it. rainbow

02/03/2021 22:22:45

The rumour is that furlough will be extended until the end of June - Hopefully then, the war will be over by Christmas!

Stay solitary, stay clean, stay safe! rainbow

Thread: A milling anomaly
25/02/2021 11:59:26

I've had this problem with smaller diameter screwed-shank cutters too.

I think that due to the small diameter, there is simply not enough torque generated during a milling cut to keep the collet screwed tight to the cutter and this is exacerbated by the vibration of the cutting action. The problem is far worse if the cutter shank is below size or the collet is a loose fit.

My solution is to leave the collet carrier slightly loose, screw the cutter in hand tight, and then nip-up the carrier until it simultaneously clamps the cutter and fully seats on its registers.

Martin.

Thread: What about a "like" button on the forum?
20/02/2021 00:27:58

Good job no one asked for an 'Ignore Member' button...

...Be kind. rainbow

Edited By blowlamp on 20/02/2021 00:29:49

Thread: 2-Part Covid Vaccinations
16/02/2021 12:12:58
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 16/02/2021 11:18:30:
Posted by blowlamp on 16/02/2021 11:16:53:
Posted by Rockingdodge on 16/02/2021 10:51:10:

My wife and I were contacted by our respective surgeries by phone for our jabs and had them last Friday and the Friday before, we're 69 & 70. Missus had quite bad reactions, myself not so bad, to the Tizer vaccine.

Roger

That's got to be the best typo/joke in the history of the internet.

Can't stop Lol-ing yes smiley

Did it affect your appetite as in 'Tizer the ..... '

Certainly increased my hunger to find out more about it!...wink

..and it seems to be as good as anything else out there. gift

Live long & prosper. rainbow

Edited By blowlamp on 16/02/2021 12:15:17

16/02/2021 11:16:53
Posted by Rockingdodge on 16/02/2021 10:51:10:

My wife and I were contacted by our respective surgeries by phone for our jabs and had them last Friday and the Friday before, we're 69 & 70. Missus had quite bad reactions, myself not so bad, to the Tizer vaccine.

Roger

That's got to be the best typo/joke in the history of the internet.

Can't stop Lol-ing yes smiley

15/02/2021 20:07:18
Posted by br on 15/02/2021 18:31:19:
Posted by Bazyle on 15/02/2021 18:20:53:

That's weird. The edit removes the joke part so makes it worse! unlove the smiley is jocular btw.

Well I missed this one.

So threads can be edited just because one person complains is how it reads to me?

Bill

It's just the way of the world nowadays. smiley

Stay safe hug 2... ...hug rainbow

Thread: Fusion 360, Mach4 and first test of cnc router
19/01/2021 21:40:24

This is a common problem in Mach 3.

You'll probably need to change the I&J arc centre settings, either in your post-processor or within Mach settings.

Martin.

Thread: Coronavirus death stats
14/01/2021 18:34:38

What... McAfee's got a vaccine out too? devil

14/01/2021 17:03:37
Posted by V8Eng on 14/01/2021 16:51:44:

I was posting an adverse comment about Blowlamp’s video but that seems to disappear when quoted.

Edited By V8Eng on 14/01/2021 16:54:54

It's not my video.

It's one I came across that puts a Doctor's assessment over. That's all.

Stay safe rainbow Stay at Home rainbow Stay Apart rainbow

Edited By blowlamp on 14/01/2021 17:08:24

Thread: Macro-photography
13/01/2021 20:06:54

This is nice:

Thread: Metric to imperial
05/01/2021 22:49:26

How about fitting a DRO? That way you can work in metric/imperial and by radius or diameter

Martin.

Thread: CAM software for CNC Lathes - With C axis and constrained live tool
04/01/2021 19:43:52
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 04/01/2021 05:45:39:

Thanks Martin - I will get Ecam and learn - At least those lessons are more main-stream than LinuxCnC!

I do have the PlanetCNC's TNG software - Early this year I looked quite deeply into the PlanetCNC stuff as I was looking for a MACH3 alternative to drive my 4 axis hot wire foam cutter, and had good discourse on the Planetcnc forum. The software was able to do it all just fine, and I was ready to procure the controller and TNG software, and the virus arrived, shipping stopped, etc - I did not revive that route as my lathe project woke up in all the lockdowns, and so the research regarding able controllers started. If the Planetcnc board can do my C axis lathe, then it is really a no-brainer - I will persevere with LinuxCNC, but right now , only because It is a challenge, but to what end I am not sure. As I said before, the Centroid ACORN and the PlanetCNC boards and associated softwares are just so polished - the software user interface, the look of the machine screen, layout, etc is very professional, and looks 'machine tool' like - MACH3 is so poor in that regard, and LinuxCNC is not a huge improvement - I know both can be changed - you can create your own screens, setups, etc, but again, that's not the objective for a machine user is it?

As it is, there are big learning curves involved as soon as you start in the CNC realm - finding and learning an (affordable?) CAD package, ditto the CAM software, setting up the machine, etc - And then the Controller software it self - TNG, the Centroid offering, LinuxCNC, etc, also has to be 'learnt' so spending time learning the inner guts to just add handwheels, etc, is not useful at all!

Martin, your video is very good - you have done a few videos I see, and you do them well! A natural! - My very few videos are silent movies - with some titles if I think it needed - but I would have to read from a script to voice it! - too many umms and aahhs.

Thanks Again for your help.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. I'm very happy if it helps with your project.

Just ask, if you think I can assist.

Martin.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest