By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: non-circular boring.. Literally - it is boring!
31/03/2020 15:54:31

That's interesting stuff you're doing, Sam. yes

Could you post some gcode here please, so I can try it with my PlanetCNC control, which is designed to be LinuxCNC compatible?

I'll get Alan at cncyourmyford to have a look too as I'm sure he'll be interested.

Martin.

Thread: Copper pipe Diameter Reduction
30/03/2020 00:00:11

You might be able to use an ER collet to swage some 22mm pipe.

What about turning/drilling some brass bar to the right size to make a suitable fitting?

Martin.

Thread: A sight for sore eyes
22/03/2020 13:11:43
Posted by not done it yet on 22/03/2020 12:48:30:

Blowlamp,

Not quite the same but your posts reminded me of this record.

**LINK**

Why do you think I'm out of touch?

What have I said that's not true?

22/03/2020 12:47:28
Posted by Hopper on 22/03/2020 12:33:11:

Okay Boomers. laugh

Seriously, have you blokes been self-isolating for the past 30 years? In 2016 there were 296,000 women working in construction in the UK, according to the Office of National Stats. Still a small minority overall but hardly a new or strange thing. It's been going on since the 70s. It's nothing new and it's nothing particularly unusual any more.

As for "men are stronger". Tosh. Men are on average larger and therefore have on average greater muscular power. But reckon you are stronger and tougher? Try childbirth for starters. And yeah, men traditionally went out hunting, ie goofing off in a bunch all day long to come back with a couple animals they speared for fun, while the women did all the hard work of planting, digging, weeding, harvesting, threshing, winnowing, gathering, grinding, cooking, cleaning, child birthing, child raising, basket weaving, cloth weaving, string making, rope making, clothes making, and pretty much doing everything to keep everyone alive bar spearing a couple of deer a day per tribe.

And "everything is invented by men"??????? What rock have you been living under all your life? That statement is so ludicrous it does not even rate an answer. Trolling or what? Surely you can't really be that out of touch, can you?

"If they, the ladies that is, want equal parity with men, then they should be seen to be doing the unpleasant, hard jobs as well as the nice boardroom jobs. " -- You mean like childbirth, cleaning the toilets, cooking, etc etc? Or working in the chicken factory, garment industry sweatshops, restaurants, dry cleaners, hospitals, schools etc etc etc?

You guys need to get out more. laugh

Edited By Hopper on 22/03/2020 12:36:56

Get listing their inventions then.

I take it you don't think men do the "hard work of planting, digging, weeding, harvesting, threshing, winnowing, gathering, grinding, cooking, cleaning, child raising, basket weaving, cloth weaving, string making, rope making, clothes making, and pretty much doing everything to keep everyone alive" as well?

It's not me that lives under a rock. smiley

22/03/2020 12:39:05
Posted by martin perman on 22/03/2020 11:39:44:
Posted by blowlamp on 22/03/2020 10:12:13:

Still no explanation why everything is invented by men though.

Martin.

Thats obvious the males never gave the females the chance and to a degree still dont today, I for one have no issues with ladies doing "our" jobs and better at it if that lady model engineer is anything to go by, they have naturally one thing we have to learn and thats patience, just ask your wives, girl friends etc.

Martin P

You take your chance, you don't wait for, or need, someone to 'grant' you permission to get cracking.

Women should get liberated and become grave diggers and emptiers of cesspitts just like men do. Go for it Girl!

Martin.

22/03/2020 12:29:34

When I said everything, I should have said 99.99% of everything. smiley

22/03/2020 11:35:50
Posted by pgk pgk on 22/03/2020 11:27:51:

If we gonna have Ladies on the bulding site does that mean that male pedestrians can wolf-whistle at them?

No, but it'd be OK the other way around.

22/03/2020 10:12:13
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/03/2020 09:46:22:
Posted by not done it yet on 22/03/2020 09:20:47:

Males are stronger than females. That is clear and evident from all aspects of life.

Tell that to the widows! In the UK, ladies outlive men by an average of 4½ years...

This finding might be relevant too: 'A 2014 meta-analysis of sex differences in scholastic achievement published in the journal of Psychological Bulletin found females outperformed males in teacher-assigned school marks throughout elementary, junior/middle, high school and at both undergraduate and graduate university level.'

In other words, men are strong in the arm but thick in the head. Plenty of evidence for that in the Duffer Household...

sad

Dave

They must be. That's why the men are dead and their widows continue with life.

Still no explanation why everything is invented by men though.

Martin.

Thread: Coronavirus
20/03/2020 17:25:25

Does anyone know anyone who's died of this thing yet?

Martin.

17/03/2020 09:57:40

Meanwhile...

... A 1929 style crash is going on in the background. frown

14/03/2020 12:05:43

The severity of this virus is being wound-up to make cover for the economic meltdown we're going through that is being almost completely ignored by the traditional media.

Such a disservice to us all. frown

Thread: NEMA selection for electronic leadscrew
06/03/2020 15:28:05
Posted by mgnbuk on 06/03/2020 14:06:56:

Link to Joe's rattle damper

**LINK**

scroll down to 07/11/18

The "link" doesn't appear to go anywhere ?

I came across steppers with feedback (hybrid)

I thought those were refered to as "closed loop" steppers, rather than "hybrid" ?

There appear to be a couple of suppliers of "off the shelf" viscous dampers (Vexta & Lin Engineering) but both appear to be US based & I have not yet come across a UK source. Rattle dampers seem easy enough to make (though trial & error as suggested by Joe) - maybe Dave could 3D print a hub & try one out made that way ?

My interest is driving a Denford Triac CNC vertical mill, with the initial control system being an Arduino running GRBL fed by a Raspberry Pi 3+

Nigel B.

Just interchangeable terms, I think.

Martin.

06/03/2020 13:55:37

The last two posts from Dave and Joe are the reason I went with 'hybrid' stepper motors & drivers.

My lathe suffered badly from resonance and losts steps, so something needed to be done about it.

I too explored the idea of going down the damper route, only the results seemed unpredictable as well as adding to more installation headaches.

I came across steppers with feedback (hybrid), decided to buy two and after fitting, everything came right. No more vibration and no more unnoticed missed steps. The 'intelligent' driver constantly monitors & compensates motor position and varies electrical requirement according to conditions.

In use, I've had no missed steps at all and happily sail on with my machining, knowing that if an unresolvable error should occur due to a position fault, then the driver will power down to alert me.

I also found that acceleration could be ramped up along with higher traverse speeds as well. Movement is very smooth and quiet.

As for the power supply, my toroidal transformer packed up this week so after looking here I gambled on one of these and it is working well so far despite the seemingly poor feedback. smiley

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 06/03/2020 13:57:04

Thread: Cutting a clock fusee using the Turnado turning system
01/03/2020 23:20:03

Nice use of the Turnado tool.

Please update us when you cut the groove. I'd be interested to see the finished fusee.

Martin.

Thread: Explosion in Ophiuchus galaxy cluster
28/02/2020 11:06:10

This is the answer.

Thread: Cost of Stamps to Increase
21/02/2020 15:19:47

I'm against the class system.

I find it strange to think a business would go to the trouble of sorting mail and then purposely delay its delivery.

Thread: Engraving
16/02/2020 17:12:49

I did some similar engraving with my Denford Triac when I made a fine downfeed thingy for my early 1980s Myford VMC.

I used Ucancam to make the gcode 'cos Vcarve was out of my price bracket. smiley

dscn2989.jpg

Thread: Encryption software
16/02/2020 13:02:32

Password Manager here is free and seems like it would do the job.

Martin.

Thread: A Warning
15/02/2020 20:29:52

Any recommendations for a good drinking chocolate that isn't too sweet?

Thread: Drilling in the lathe - where did I go right?
13/02/2020 11:39:59

The main thing with drilling larger holes is to get rid of the centre section by drilling a pilot hole of reasonable size first.

I find that doing this allows the large drill to cut freely without snatching. Conversely, stepping up in small increments provokes snatching.

Centre or spot drill, pilot drill, then drill to size unless a very large diameter hole, in which case maybe use an intermediate size followed by finish size.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest