By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: CNC Lathe Scratch Build
18/07/2021 12:29:09

Joe.

Is your concern about backlash, or just taking some weight off the drive system?

Martin.

17/07/2021 23:38:31

Arrange for the weight to run along a roller-track of some sort to keep it from swinging, but still free moving?

Martin.

Thread: 4MCAD from Mintronics
02/07/2021 09:36:15
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 01/07/2021 15:25:11:

Thanks, Martin … I will have a look

My own ‘familiarity’ with Autocad goes way back to the early DOS versions; and I still struggle with most of the modern GUIs

I like the ability to do 2D CAD with just the drawing on-screen and all the ‘buttons’ on the edge of a digitising tablet,.

… it’s probably just nostalgia

MichaelG.

Ref. **LINK** : http://moi3d.com/

Michael.

If you do take a look at MoI and you're not sure how to use a particular tool, simply select that tool and then click the '? Help' key on the lower/right area of the screen and MoI will display specific information about it along with examples of use.

Here's the second part of me constructing a bevel gear.

Martin.

01/07/2021 15:06:14

Hi, Michael.

MoI doesn't 'clone' Autocad commands, or even look similar, but it would compete very favourably in functionality. It is much more powerful than a first glance might lead you to believe.

I'll include a (slightly rambling) video of me constructing a bevel gear. I don't suppose I do it in a very efficient way, way, but it shows a few of the tools in use.

MoI will import these file types:

OpenNURBS 3DM, IGES, SAT, STEP, Illustrator (.ai & .eps), PDF and DXF.

MoI exports all of the above, as well as:

OBJ, STL, LWO, FBX and SKP.

Martin.

01/07/2021 14:21:00

I often mention MoI when these questions arise, but seldom get any feedback. Maybe the reason is that MoI looks a little simple at first sight. However it is a powerful package and isn't too bad to learn. Many of the other CAD systems can be hard work and unintuitive in how their toolset works, so that's why I don't use them, even though ultimately, they may have more features.

I'd say, give MoI a try.

Martin.

Thread: 2D and 3D Cad Software Recommendations
22/06/2021 23:38:57

I use MoI. Here's a video I made a while ago that shows some of its features.

It can export to DXF, PDF, IGES, STEP, STL and quite a few other formats, it also has dimensioning now.

Martin.

Thread: using CNC mill to cut vinyl letters and numbers
13/05/2021 21:14:16

Looking at this video, it seems to be quite easy to do. smiley

Martin.

Thread: Levelling Myford Super 7
07/05/2021 16:59:39

It sounds good to go to me.

Martin.

Thread: CNC Lathe Scratch Build
26/04/2021 11:52:56

Wouldn't a detent arrangement be easier to make?

What would make me think twice about using a Hirth coupling is how many faces need to be in simultaneous contact when indexed and how feasible it would be to machine the coupling to the required accuracy.

Because of its design it seems to me that the Hirth coupling is self-centring, so if used with a close fitting bearing there could also be issues with binding whereby the coupling can not fully seat because it's restrained radially by the bearing.

Martin.

Thread: Covid TV updates.
22/04/2021 12:20:33
Thread: Net Zero
22/04/2021 11:39:43
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/04/2021 11:03:44:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 22/04/2021 09:40:24:

Still struggling to know whether you actually read the link that I posted, Ady

... I think we’re probably ‘on the same side

... but perhaps not ‘on the same page

MichaelG.

Classic! As Ady knows exactly what he means by 'it', he hasn't realised his post can be read in entirely opposite senses. I do this too, often finding people responding to what I said rather than what I meant, oh dear! It's hard to be clear. However, judging by Ady's 09:17 post, Michael is probably right about being on the same side but not on the same page!

It hadn't occurred to me before reading Michael's link that decision makers would be stupid enough to delay climate change counter-measures as a result of assuming net-zero will achieved by applying technology that doesn't exist. Yet it seems to be true! Was it Saint Aquinas who prayed for the gift of celibacy, but not yet?

I'm optimistic energy needs can be met with a combination of Green technology and relatively painless societal change. But that's of little value unless global warming is also controlled. I'm reminded of the boiling frog experiment: when frogs are gradually warmed up in water, they cheerfully stay put until cooked. So it is with people: we aren't good at managing risk and particularly bad unless problems are bleeding obvious. Very inclined to believe slow change isn't happening.

Many examples from history. Although medical research clearly indicated by 1930 that smoking is a major killer, tobacco companies successfully delayed reform by arguing inadequate proof, paying for confusing counter-opinion, fudging statistics, claiming freedom of trade, bribery, lobbying, and banging the personal freedom drum. We're all guilty, and maybe it was for the best anyway. I see advantage in a product that collects a huge amount of tax from working age people and then dramatically reduces the pension bill by bumping them off! Can't see any value in long-term global warming though - only chaotic change.

sad

Dave

Are you serious?

Edited By blowlamp on 22/04/2021 11:40:33

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
19/04/2021 12:14:02
Posted by Ady1 on 19/04/2021 09:42:19:

Downside to this industry are muppets who print weaponry which could bring in regulation like what happened with drone technology

There are a lot of muppets out there

Spain dismantles workshop making 3D-printed weapons

We live in strange times.

I saw this photograph of a funeral on Saturday.and someone (lower left) was carrying a machine gun!

Thread: New Covid Rules
18/04/2021 15:38:37
Thread: Water based rust inhibitor
14/03/2021 00:44:38

What about some Antifreeze?

Thread: 2-Part Covid Vaccinations
03/03/2021 10:52:33
Posted by Bill Dawes on 03/03/2021 10:03:20:

Looking at Peter Greene's graph I must be particularly dense this morning, it is peaking around the 6000 mark, I don't know what the UK figure were on the first day or so of roll out but for some time now we have been in the hundreds of thousands per day, over half a million at times, someone put me out of my misery please and explain where I am going wrong in my interpretation, surprised no one else has not commented which makes me think it is me.

Bill D.

Yes, now you point it out, at around 6000 jabs per day, it would take over 3300 days (9 years) to administer the 20,000,000 the government says it has already given.

There must be a simple explanation to it. rainbow

02/03/2021 22:22:45

The rumour is that furlough will be extended until the end of June - Hopefully then, the war will be over by Christmas!

Stay solitary, stay clean, stay safe! rainbow

Thread: A milling anomaly
25/02/2021 11:59:26

I've had this problem with smaller diameter screwed-shank cutters too.

I think that due to the small diameter, there is simply not enough torque generated during a milling cut to keep the collet screwed tight to the cutter and this is exacerbated by the vibration of the cutting action. The problem is far worse if the cutter shank is below size or the collet is a loose fit.

My solution is to leave the collet carrier slightly loose, screw the cutter in hand tight, and then nip-up the carrier until it simultaneously clamps the cutter and fully seats on its registers.

Martin.

Thread: What about a "like" button on the forum?
20/02/2021 00:27:58

Good job no one asked for an 'Ignore Member' button...

...Be kind. rainbow

Edited By blowlamp on 20/02/2021 00:29:49

Thread: 2-Part Covid Vaccinations
16/02/2021 12:12:58
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 16/02/2021 11:18:30:
Posted by blowlamp on 16/02/2021 11:16:53:
Posted by Rockingdodge on 16/02/2021 10:51:10:

My wife and I were contacted by our respective surgeries by phone for our jabs and had them last Friday and the Friday before, we're 69 & 70. Missus had quite bad reactions, myself not so bad, to the Tizer vaccine.

Roger

That's got to be the best typo/joke in the history of the internet.

Can't stop Lol-ing yes smiley

Did it affect your appetite as in 'Tizer the ..... '

Certainly increased my hunger to find out more about it!...wink

..and it seems to be as good as anything else out there. gift

Live long & prosper. rainbow

Edited By blowlamp on 16/02/2021 12:15:17

16/02/2021 11:16:53
Posted by Rockingdodge on 16/02/2021 10:51:10:

My wife and I were contacted by our respective surgeries by phone for our jabs and had them last Friday and the Friday before, we're 69 & 70. Missus had quite bad reactions, myself not so bad, to the Tizer vaccine.

Roger

That's got to be the best typo/joke in the history of the internet.

Can't stop Lol-ing yes smiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest