By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Why does everyone disagree with you
27/01/2020 18:24:43
Posted by Howard Lewis on 27/01/2020 18:17:44:

How did we start THIS hare running? We are even disagreeing over the quotation, but at least not the source.

So that probably means that I am disagreeing with some one.

Howard

I don't think so.

27/01/2020 13:40:53
Posted by David Davies 8 on 27/01/2020 11:50:30:

Hi All

Following on from Plasma's post above, if you search Google for the 'Dunning-Kruger Effect' and read same, it may explain why some members mock questions asked by others.

Dave

Yes. That was about a guy that painted his face with lemon juice and went to rob a bank thinking the lemon juice would make him invisible.

He believed that because lemon juice was is used in invisible ink. idea

When arrested and shown photos of himself committing the robbery, he insisted the photos had been faked.

Seems like a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. smiley

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
26/01/2020 17:44:01
Posted by JC54 on 26/01/2020 14:31:33:

I have just bought a 3D printer and got it running. I have downloaded several objects from the web to print. I want to modify one of the designs, is it possible to import a stl file into Alibre Atom3d? I have tried but cannot see a way of doing it. I can export parts drawn in Alibre as stl files though. Thanks for any help John

If you want, I could try running those stl files through MoI for you, to get them into something you could play with.

Martin.

Thread: Cast Iron Watch Case
03/01/2020 20:53:23

I don't know which grade of bronze they use for the case, but I think stainless steel, titanium or sapphire casebacks are normally fitted to minimise skin contact

Martin.

Zenith Pilot

IWC Pilot

02/01/2020 20:20:04

Bronze would be OK and is already used by some makers if you're looking for a change from stainless steel.

Martin.

Thread: Adhesive to bond metal to glass
20/12/2019 12:31:01

About 50 seconds into this video seems to be a similar application to yours.

Product info link here.

Thread: What to use on my Sherline mill to round off pinion wire leafs
14/12/2019 10:22:55

I think pinion wire is quite often filed/abraded and then polished to final form.

Thread: Possible causing my work being snatched out whilst cutting
12/12/2019 12:34:09

You were holding the part by the pinion leaves in a three jaw chuck?

Thread: a good quality milling vise for sale
09/12/2019 17:09:59
Posted by old mart on 09/12/2019 17:06:59:

Yes the paint is suspect, but there are no signs of the common drilling marks.

I was editing my post down a little as you were replying. smiley

09/12/2019 17:04:51

It looks like a bit like vice that's had a paint job done on it to me.

Is that wear on the ground horizontal area?

Edited By blowlamp on 09/12/2019 17:08:03

Thread: ML1 Worn Saddle adjustment
09/12/2019 12:11:51

That does sound like bed wear to me.

Regrinding the bed could be problematic, but you might be able to find someone with a decent sized vertical mill that would be prepared to give a lick to the worn surfaces and get you back with a usable machine again. It's what I would do.

Martin.

Thread: Electronic Lead Screw Project
07/12/2019 14:58:49
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 07/12/2019 14:24:20:
Posted by blowlamp on 07/12/2019 12:18:17:

[…]

I find many improvements, such as faster top speed, the system is far smoother with virtually no mid-band vibration and has better acceleration & deceleration, which is vital if your lathe varies its speed when a heavy cut is applied or removed. Also, if steps are missed such that the closed loop can not recover the situation, then a fault condition will cause the driver to halt and send a fault signal back to the ELS (if it has such a facility to acknowledge) or the CNC controller.

[…]

Grateful if you could clarify something for me, Martin

Does the closed-loop control things at the micro-step level, or only full steps ?

MichaelG.

Michael, the motors have a 1000 line encoder fitted at the rear of the motor and are connected back to the driver in a quadrature configuration, thus giving 4000 pulses per turn of the motor. The closed loop circuit can electronically work up to and maintain position of that 4000 figure.

Many of these drives allow micro-steps into the 40000+ steps per rev region, but I would imagine this more of a marketing feature than of any real world value.

Martin.

Skip to the 7 minute mark to see the 'wrench test'.

Edited By blowlamp on 07/12/2019 15:02:39

07/12/2019 12:53:19
Posted by Roy Vaughn on 07/12/2019 12:37:19:

Thanks for that insight Martin, not worth potentially spoiling the ship for a h'p'orth of tar.

Re the motor controller, is it always necessary to set it up from a PC or are they normally supplied pre-configured? I'm thinking particularly of the hybrid stepper kits from Stepperonline?

Roy

For almost all applications (99% I would think) they are ready to go. My understanding is that the driver constantly monitors & updates its output 'on the fly' to best suit the current operating conditions - I believe that is why they are based around a very powerful processing chip.

Martin.

07/12/2019 12:18:17

Having converted my Denford Starturn 8 CNC lathe from NEMA 34 to a 24 sized closed loop stepper system, there is no way that I would go back to a conventional stepper setup.

I find many improvements, such as faster top speed, the system is far smoother with virtually no mid-band vibration and has better acceleration & deceleration, which is vital if your lathe varies its speed when a heavy cut is applied or removed. Also, if steps are missed such that the closed loop can not recover the situation, then a fault condition will cause the driver to halt and send a fault signal back to the ELS (if it has such a facility to acknowledge) or the CNC controller.

I couldn't personally live with the idea of lost steps being acceptable, even if only a few, because that would certainly not work when we're talking about repeatable work, particularly on diameter with a CNC lathe.

It's good to know your machine is maintaining correct position and will do so all day. It gives peace of mind compared to my previous experience whereby there was an uncertainty about parts reliably coming out to size.

Martin.

06/12/2019 19:53:52

The closed loop steppers are a direct replacement or substitute for conventional steppers. There's no reason that I can think of why a closed loop stepper/driver couldn't be used in this project.

The closed loop only exists between the motor and its driver - there's no need for any additional wiring back to the ELS itself.

Martin.

06/12/2019 13:52:21
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 06/12/2019 13:36:44:
Posted by Lofty on 05/12/2019 18:00:15:

Evening all, I successfuly tested my setup today.

Nema 34 closed loop stepper and driver on a Warco 280VF.

just got to figure out an enclure for the key pad a micro board, may put in the head where the existing taco is located.

Testing

Forgive me please, if I am being dim

... I can’t see any details of the stepper but I do see a hybrid servo driver

Could you please detail what you are actually using.

Many thanks

MichaelG.

It's probably something like this, although its holding torque may be different.

Still a stepper system, but one with a local feedback loop.

06/12/2019 11:42:48
Posted by Lofty on 05/12/2019 18:00:15:

Evening all, I successfuly tested my setup today.

Nema 34 closed loop stepper and driver on a Warco 280VF.

just got to figure out an enclure for the key pad a micro board, may put in the head where the existing taco is located.

Testing

Plus 1 for the closed loop setup. Definitely the way to go for this kind of application where losing steps will spoil the thread..

Thread: More evidence that the world has gone mad!
03/12/2019 11:19:33

Aromatherapist?

Thread: A cutting tool from nothing (Video link)
02/12/2019 12:38:58

I happend across this video and hope others find find it as interesting as I did.

Thread: diameter calculation
12/10/2019 01:07:33

One coordinate system will always be an approximation of the other but for use in our workshops Cartesian will always be the best option. Positional errors in rotary division equipment change depending on the target radius, getting larger as the radius increases which doesn't happen in the same way when using coordinate equipment, although perpendicularity between the axes must be maintained for the machining to be reliable.

I would far rather make a division plate using a DRO on a milling machine than use a rotary table or dividing head if I wanted the best accuracy.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Warco
cowells
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest