By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Feeds and Speeds! 0.4mm milling cutters...
29/05/2019 20:24:24
Posted by John Haine on 29/05/2019 20:18:15:

Sorry to rain on your parade, but better cutters to use are engraving cutters. You can get a pack of 10 TC cutters for not a lot from eBay. Look for LineGrinder SW on Google, I recall it has a lot of useful info about which cutters to use and the process. Run as fast as you can in the spindle - I used 6000 rpm, feeding at 100 mm/min and didn't break a cutter.

Ditto. Beat me to it. smiley

They are much stronger due to being tapered.

Martin.

Thread: Parting off query
17/05/2019 14:20:19
Posted by Plasma on 16/05/2019 19:32:36:

Cheers Jason, HSS blade, front tool post lathe in reverse with power feed 440rpm.

I will check the items you mentioned, got to be some thing simple as never had it before.

Plus now I come to think of it blade snapped a few weeks ago and i reversed it, may have upset something.

Mick

What do you mean when you say "and I reversed it"?

HSS parting blades are usually asymmetric,viewed from the front, so the cutting clearances will go to hell if you managed to flip it over to use the back end of the blade.

Martin.

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
11/05/2019 10:37:54

Are you sure that your computer hardware isn't 64 bit?

I once had a 64 bit laptop running a 32 bit version of Windows, as the result of a like-for-like version update.

I think I had to wipe the hard drive to allow a 64 bit O/S installation.

Martin.

Thread: ECAM v4 Lathe & Mill
10/05/2019 22:10:57

You've got a factory there, Geoff. thumbs up

I have a Denford Triac mill and a Denford Starturn 8 lathe.

Good to hear that you're getting on well with Ecam.

Like you, I'm surprised it doesn't seem to be more popular, considering that it's well featured, up to date and reasonably priced. Now I've used it for a while and tuned the postprocessor to my liking, then in terms of work-flow, I think it's the quickest CAM I've tried.

Martin.

09/05/2019 11:13:20

Nice one Geoff!

If you decide Ecam is the one for you, then once it's more familiar, I suggest tweaking the postprocessor to tune its ouput until you get exactly what your machine requires. I've got mine working just as I like it with my LinuxCNC compatible controller (PlanetCNC TNG) - it's well worth the effort and I never need to edit the code now.

Martin.

07/05/2019 18:53:57

Hi Geoff.

Make sure Chain Selection isn't highlighted on the menu, as that function links curves that share common end points for quicker selection. Also, make sure your CAD isn't joining each curve to make polylines - you can usually 'explode' them back to separate curves in your CAD though.

My CAD is MoI, which I find is all I need for my work-flow.

Martin.

05/05/2019 22:00:45

Here's a quick video - I hope it bumps things along.

05/05/2019 17:33:04

Give me a couple of hours Geoff and I'll try to make a 'get you going' video to help you on your way.

Martin.

04/05/2019 14:55:14

I came across Ecam a few years ago and I'm liking it more and more because of its no-nonsense way of doing the job it's designed to do and the steady updates.

It isn't a 3d CAM system like say, Fusion 360 is, but I find it much easier to use for everyday work, and in a couple of instances it let me do jobs that I found impossible in Fusion 360 - I'm not saying Fusion couldn't do it, just that I couldn't find a way.

Here's a link to Ecam. It becomes freeware at the weekend, which means that whilst all functions are available for use through the week, gcode can only be generated at the weekend. Of course this restriction is lifted if the software is purchased

The upshot is that all the design & setting up can be done Mon-Fri and the gcode made for free on Sat-Sun and for as long as you want. It seems quite generous of the author considering that there are few Lathe CAM systems out there and Ecam's is rather good. I find the Mill CAM to be excellent too, as it has Roughing, Re-machining, Finishing and Chamfering all within the one operation and also allows for the use of Tee-Slot cutters etc.

Features.

I'm just a happy user. smiley

Martin

Thread: 1959 Nsu quickly
30/04/2019 19:42:25
Posted by Brian Sweeting on 30/04/2019 17:46:41:

And this has something to do with model engineering or am I missing something important?

This is also ignoring the fact that only a limited age range of members will understand "NSU Quickly".

It's all about scale & self-identity.

If he's a Model Engineer and it's happening in his Workshop, then he's in the right place. yes heartsmiley

Edited By blowlamp on 30/04/2019 19:44:43

Thread: A Unique Word?
28/04/2019 10:35:41

I'm wondering if it was originally Across-slide, which has become shortened to Cross-slide, but should really be written as 'cross-slide.

27/04/2019 00:26:25
Posted by John Olsen on 26/04/2019 23:55:43:

So what about a word with three pairs of doubled letters in a row? Can you think of one?

John

Closest thing I can think of is Mississippi.

Martin.

26/04/2019 14:06:14
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 26/04/2019 13:12:37:

As topslide is a legitimate word... by extension so is crossslide.

Is it the only word in the English language with three 'esses' in a row?

Neil

It'stwowordsisn'tit?

Thread: Gender neutral ships.
25/04/2019 10:42:30

The museum has a Director that goes by the name David Mann.

Thread: Notre Dame
17/04/2019 00:40:14

I remember the Biafra Appeal charity box being passed around at school. I found out many years later that our government was, at the same time, actively promoting & funding the war over there and that's what is happening now with Yemen.

16/04/2019 23:36:37
Posted by ronan walsh on 16/04/2019 23:21:20:

I am from Ireland, and while yes a tiny minority of the catholic church did horrific things, a huge amount of them did hard and good work in working class areas, often for very little thanks or recognition, and was one of the glues that bound society together. But as usual the majority pays for the sins/crimes of the minority. Is the bbc a paedophile organisation because of savile, harris etc ? They were getting huge salaries from the taxpayers, to produce rubbish programmes and rape youngsters.

Nearly any group who have been around for a long time has questHomeions to answer, no more than the royal family, look back a bit at the dreadful way people who displeased them were treated during the last thousand years. The bloody tower, hanging drawing and quartering, pitch capping, the rack etc. The royals under Henry the eighth, profited hugely from the catholic church when he seized their lands and property.

No group should be free from criticism, but if you are going to sling muck, please sling it equally.

As for the cathedral, what a terrible thing to happen to such a historic and wonderful building, terrible, just as it would be if St.Pauls were to have burned during the blitz. Notre dame is owned by the republic of France, So it is their property and they are responsible for the damage repairs.

A good question about the BBC.

I believe they have some of Eric Gill's work in and around BBC property - read a little about his personal life and decide for yourself.

16/04/2019 22:17:36

Perhaps a grant from the EU will be forthcoming?

The 'Yellow Vest' protestors will be happy if the money comes from the tax payer, I'm sure. thinking

16/04/2019 21:42:19

I'd rebuild it open-plan and with a glass roof to make it light & airy. I'd also have bi-fold doors at one end to 'connect' with the outside space along with a separate area for the kids to play in.

Fund the rebuild by selling off the 'Holy Ash' from the fire.

Thread: Folding Bike design & build
09/04/2019 18:42:49

Call it the 'Jackson 5x2'.

Thread: Axis orientation (or, where is zero?)
03/04/2019 22:27:06

Z: spindle moving away from table is the plus (+) direction.

X: spindle moving over to the right of the table is the plus direction - table travels to the left.

Y: spindle moving over to the back of the table (or top when viewed from above) is the plus direction - table travels to the front/down.

These need to be correct for the various DRO functions to work predictably. smiley

Zero can be wherever you want it.

Edited By blowlamp on 03/04/2019 22:29:20

Edited By blowlamp on 03/04/2019 22:33:48

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest