By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for J Hancock

Here is a list of all the postings J Hancock has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Removing bang in self tappers
27/09/2020 17:42:19

Or try to put a ultra thin Dremel cutting disc slot across each one and use a screwdriver on them.

Guess whether a RH or LH spiral.

Thread: Quality Control ?
25/09/2020 08:34:30

What I did find out, dried lager makes a good non-slip floor finish.

24/09/2020 16:57:52

You've just touched another 'rant' I have.

Only last week I dropped a can of Carling lager as I was taking it out of the 'fridge'.

A millisecond later it was passing my ear on the way to the ceiling , propelled by a jet of Carling coming out of the ring pull area.

As confirmed by the 'air accident ' investigation afterwards.

My do they have that ring pull area controlled to fine ' just ok' limits.

24/09/2020 16:27:35

The battery teat is guided into a slot which has the +ve plate ready for the battery end to make contact with it.

No AA battery I have has a long enough teat to reach the fixed plate.

The -ve contact is the spring pushing the battery into place hard up against the slot.

It was easy enough for me to build the two +ve fixed plates up with 0.040" of solder but 'we' are not the

'average' consumer.

Device works really well.

Thread: Steam Raising Blower
24/09/2020 14:39:59

Another very good source of ready made impellers are scrap, car water pumps.

Right size,shape,weight up to 2.5L cars.

Thread: Quality Control ?
24/09/2020 14:05:55

Not this one !

Arthritis overtaken my ability to use a manual can opener so this 'one touch' the obvious solution.

Brand new, out of box, new batteries inserted, press button.............nothing.

Close look reveals +ve teat on both batteries 0.030" short of connection.

Of course, no problem to cure for 'us' but I wonder how many have been returned.

Thread: Home workshop accuracy & tolerance?
23/09/2020 09:16:56

And when you get really good, make a working model IC engine, where piston/cylinder fits cannot be measured in the average workshop anymore !

Thread: Dore Westbury milling machine
17/09/2020 14:18:45

Probably best that you try out (say) a Sieg X2 style machine then a Dore Westbury before you buy , somehow.

The DW is certainly versatile but that has its downsides.

Thread: 3.5" Jubilee Drawings
16/09/2020 13:29:01

Better that you don't fit the brake gear as drawn or you will never be able to drop the ashpan.

16/09/2020 12:17:30

And when you get them draw out a plan view around the valve gear on squared paper where 1/32" =1/10th ,

and discover nothing fits, if you build it to the drawing dimensions !

Thread: What rivet to use to join aluminium?
14/09/2020 13:11:31

The reply of Howard Lewis is particularly relevant to Rootes Group engines where the cast iron block had a steel/asbestos/ copper gasket interposed between the aluminium head , then on to a brass radiator to create a diabolical battery .

The inevitable corrosion wrecked every cylinder head and iron migration from the block left unsupported graphite patches to finish it off !

Thread: Compressed air cylinders / Diving bottles uses.
10/09/2020 19:49:50

Yes, the small breathing air 'out of date' bottles are ideal for CO2 /MIG sets.

Filled up from CO2 fire extinguisher , because they only have lever on/off control.

The washing machine seal from Amazon was the last one in the world, saved my life !

Thread: Soldering aluminium
06/09/2020 17:18:50

Technoweld is the 'go to' , expensive if it is a big hole but easy to use without requiring huge amounts of heat.

Thread: British or Chineese?
06/09/2020 08:21:05

Nothiing wrong with that, ' Heavens above' .... in the Middle Ages the animals lived in the living room too.

Thread: Welder buy
03/09/2020 14:53:44

It is most important that the wire feed device on your MIG is of good quality. If the wheels that grip the wire are

'not true' then the wire is fed 'in jerks' resulting in poor welds.

Try the unit out 'in the shop' if you can before buying.

Thread: Stainless steel
26/08/2020 11:53:02

Disposable lighters for miniature O rings /springs /ball.

Printers , where new printers are cheaper than ink replacement !

Thread: Who trains these ideots?
20/08/2020 07:24:15

Thanks NW1 , you finally answered the original question.

Now, what's the solution to that ?

18/08/2020 17:51:06

Under the general terms of questioning those doing 'their' job I always remember this one.

The, 'at that time' , head of Bomber Command, Arthur Harris was stopped by a policeman and told " You could kill someone driving like that ".

His reply, " Young man, that's my job".

Thread: Training school auction
06/08/2020 21:24:22

With you word for word PW but don't hold your breath waiting for action on any of those fronts.

The only consolation, we few will be amongst the last survivors of any catastrophe.

06/08/2020 14:52:57

'We' have just wasted more money on one order buying useless face masks than it would cost to keep that training facility open for posterity.

Best not to worry our little heads on what direction we're going.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest