By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for J Hancock

Here is a list of all the postings J Hancock has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Need a lot of help from you good people
19/08/2019 20:27:59

I wouldn't give up on those motors yet, try to do some simple resistance checks first.

Maybe even a 'smell' test though rather a lot of time has passed for this to work.

Thread: Wasp trap - suggestions please
19/08/2019 20:21:18

Very sorry JF1, if a wasp is in my air-space it has to die.

Thread: Protecting mild steel
18/08/2019 14:07:45

From tests carried out in ME from long ago, ' Three-in-one' oil was way ahead of anything else.

Thread: Grid Frequency [mains electricity]
13/08/2019 07:43:10

I think the real embarrassment was to find some wag's program had dumped London off line first,

as a way of saving the rest of the UK from blackout.

Meanwhile, the demolition of our coal-fired back-up generation continues.

Thread: Is Buying a used live steam loco cheaper than building one?
10/08/2019 17:17:53

If possible, join a local ME Club, get some idea of the type/ size of locomotive you would like to run before

making an expensive 'mistake'.

Unless you are very fortunate indeed , it is likely you will need to use a Club track anyway.

Thread: Dam Solution?
08/08/2019 18:06:18

Dams built like this one ?

The Sorpe springs to mind and it is still standing, lot more water too.

Thread: Boiler testers and material verification
07/08/2019 07:24:26

If you have your boiler 'or whatever' supplied by the like of Bechtel I can assure you that level of 'paperwork'

will be supplied with it.

Thread: Most difficult part first
04/08/2019 16:57:45

By far the most important is to find the drawing dimensional errors first !

Then at least you know you are not wasting your time making stuff that will never fit.

Thread: Self starting?
30/07/2019 18:24:06

Simple answer, yes !

But, not unknown for a full size locomotive to have to 'reverse' first , before pulling away in forward gear i.e. dead

spots can exist if timing slips.

Thread: Electric Cars
14/07/2019 09:51:43

Call me 'old-fashioned' but I don't really want to participate in this futuristic world you have described.

Reads utterly boring , like being the Mekon, sitting on that flying saucer thing it used to move around on.

Nope, 1964 ish was nirvana, downhill ever since.

Thread: Model Engineering Overseas
04/07/2019 08:15:26

Incredible achievements under such adversity.

At the start of my career ('60's), I saw such men create, innovate and improve machines to do work they were

never designed for.

'Money' for new, was never available for 'us', meanwhile the others had discovered the 'money tree'.

The rest is history.

Thread: Phone charger
02/07/2019 07:24:39

I applaud your curiosity but please don't do that plug trick with anything bigger than a 'phone charger !

The ' spark' is quite normal.

Thread: Electricity Supply
26/06/2019 10:34:22

How ironic that the 'primitive' people survived, through an acceptance of 'sustainability ' being of the prime importance and we, the 'clever' ones , believe that compound growth is infinitely possible.

The Genii of the Industrial Revolution is out of the bottle, now everyone wants it and it is out of control.

Thread: water supply
17/06/2019 11:08:17

Re; UK population.

Heard on BBC last week, there are 3,500,000 more people registered to doctors (@£150 each to the doctor ) than the official total population figure.

16/06/2019 14:01:17

To Bikepete et al.

Yes, Anglian Water and I'm sure all the others.

Note, I did say 'constructively' use, interpret that as you will.

However, in Belgium , most owners are actively encouraged to store rainwater which can be used for toilet flushing, washing machines,etc which discharge into the foul effluent system at no cost.

16/06/2019 12:53:28

To Barrie Lever , if you read the " terms and conditions" closely I think you will find what falls from the sky belongs to the water company, and how you use it determines whether you will be charged for it, or not.

16/06/2019 09:43:42

And, to really turn the screw, you will find that if you try to collect rainwater to use it more 'constructively', you

will be charged for it !

Thread: How to price up and sell a super 7 lathe
12/06/2019 08:48:49

I have the exact same model ,very nice lathe.

As previous posts have written, advertise here , don't sell it for a pittance ,it will only get sold on for the real price.

Anyone interested enough will do all the moving themselves. With a few accessories removed it is a two man job, after they have paid you !

Thread: Electricity Supply
09/06/2019 08:31:50

Nice to see Cottam annd West Burton gently chugging away yesterday.

Coal, fuel of the future.

Thread: Chernobyl TV Series
29/05/2019 09:31:01

Also, not to forget we all got a 'top-up' from Fukishima in 2011.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest