By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for J Hancock

Here is a list of all the postings J Hancock has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How do I remove this small bearing? And the one behind it.
10/04/2021 08:06:22

If you do not have a lathe then grind the head of an 8mm bolt down to use my method.

Unless Loctited in , that bearing will nearly fall out.

09/04/2021 09:26:03

Last resort.

8mm bolt with head machined to just under 10mm and knife edge thickness to get under lower edge of that bearing.

Force it off-centre with a wedge, bridge the bearing with a plate , support either side, nut on , pull bearing out.

Thread: Source of 2 inch balls for water pump
08/04/2021 16:51:51

There are many makers of industrial sized diaphragm pumps that will use balls of that size.

Wilden, Sandpiper, even worth trying your local plant hire centre for spares.

Thread: Can this converter run this motor?
05/04/2021 08:15:29

Finally, a connection to an oft heard expression in engineering circles but I never knew it's origin.

" That's a humdinger " , meaning really good.

Thread: Canon printer
03/04/2021 16:32:18

It's that or the paper feed fails, as on my 5750 !

Every sheet has to helped on its way now.

Thread: A Radio Oddity
03/04/2021 09:25:57

You are probably rediscovering the effect which led to the development of the Proximity fuse.

A much ignored invention which transformed the efficiency of AA fire.

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
01/04/2021 12:31:01

Hats off to National Grid algorithms that have been so lucky to win ,every year , so far.

Gets a bit more tricky though in the future, with old 'nukes' falling off -line and new ones, way behind

completion dates and 'wind' needing at least four times existing installations to provide 100%.

Last Sunday wasn't bad, 37% wind with 30GW load.

No gas 2030 getting closer every day.

Thread: Gluing Aluminium
01/04/2021 09:03:48

I watched a very old documentary last week covering the original concept,design and production of our first

commercial jet airliner, the Comet.

The de Havilland designer was a Mr Bishop , his original concept was for the 'window frames' to be glued

in place.

During the build Mr Povey, the Production Manager 'persuaded' him to change his glue idea to one of conventional riveting.

The rest is history.

Thread: Can Loctite 638 really be this good?
31/03/2021 08:30:54

I would say future corrosion will be the death of a repair anyway so OV's idea + epoxy is worth a try.

Thread: Are we being listened to on the phone
28/03/2021 08:54:00

Not to worry too much when there is someone on the 'inside' on our side.

He/she managed to delete the entire records of every criminal in the country a few weeks ago.

Of course it was a mistake.

26/03/2021 19:55:47

Afraid so folks, if you really are up to 'no good', best keep it to sending letters and even hope they are not being opened !

Thread: Any advice on how to cut/file a 45 degree chamfer on a 1mm steel sheet to EXACTLY 45 degrees?
24/03/2021 11:25:46

I'm with Andy Stopford's method.

Thread: How do I get the bearings out of this?
21/03/2021 09:00:39

Just out of interest.

Did you note at what 'pressure' it broke free ?

Thread: Gasket jointing compound
19/03/2021 08:25:01

Far too long ago to remember now but I would 'love' to know if that 'non-recommendation' was on the Blue Hylomar instructions for use ?

You are right , no sealant , just the gasket .

19/03/2021 08:23:10

Far too long ago to remember now but I would 'love' to know if that 'non-recommendation' was on the Blue Hylomar instructions for use ?

You are right , no sealant , just the gasket .

18/03/2021 21:17:48

IF you want to have problems forever, I recommend using Blue Hylomar on fuel system joints where petrol

is concerned.

It is worse than useless and swells up , falls off and blocks jets for years to come.

NEVER use it.

Thread: How do I get the bearings out of this?
10/03/2021 14:23:45

Option Two, a blind flange with 4 holes on same PCD as those shown.

Four lengths of 12mm studding , tight as you can pull them up , heat the body,, hot as you can , hit the flange with at least 2lb hammer , hard, tighten studs again, repeat, etc.

Thread: Engine thermodynamics
04/03/2021 08:58:21

IF you could find an old GEC-Elliot Valve Catalogue from the 1960's I'm sure you would find just about every conceivable steam/water condition elegantly shown on graphs/nomograms, etc.

From the days when we actually made 'stuff ' ourselves.

Thread: Single Phase Switch + EStop?
02/03/2021 13:07:22

IF the Hoover motor is open to the entry of brass 'chips' etc , you would do well to place something in the path to prevent that happening BUT do not hinder ventilation/cooling of the motor.

Thread: Dore Westbury milling machine
28/02/2021 10:57:52

I presume you have ' Googled' the ' lathes.co Dore Westbury ' site ?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest