By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for J Hancock

Here is a list of all the postings J Hancock has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Yet more confusion!
13/01/2019 17:15:49

From the old axiom that, ' move anything and the centre of gravity of the world changes' , I do wonder if the

spin axis has moved by the loss of the Aral Sea,Three Gorges project and many more big civil jobs in

the last two centuries. Coreolis effect and all that.

Thread: Ally Pally Exhibition advance tickets
03/01/2019 17:13:33

This item needs to be read , 'top of the pile' for while !

Thread: Model engineers - enlisted in war efforts?
02/01/2019 19:47:58

I think you have to remember that ,at that time, we were well set up for manufacturing just about anything

anyone could 'conceptualise' as a war-winning item.

Thread: National Grid
27/12/2018 16:38:12

As in Bazyle's premise , this 'energy' subject quickly becomes an insatiable monster, where 'free energy' in the form of electricity promotes even more release of ' fossile fue'l energy on leisure activities, ad infinitum.

27/12/2018 08:17:42

That one has been around a long time ,the truth , as it happens.

This should be the default screen displayed on the Smart meters.

We only need at least 20 times more wind power than we have installed to date, to cover daily demand.

Thread: Modern efficiency !!!!!!!!!
21/12/2018 07:38:25

If 'efficiency' had ever had any credence, then the saturation of our roads by 'cars' and ' lorries' would never have been allowed to happen.

Rail, or water, or lighter than air transport would be the way to have proceeded.

Unfortunately, there was an easy tax income using any form of fossil fuel.

That revenue from 'electric charging' of cars is missing , at the moment. It won't last.

20/12/2018 19:21:34

Thanks for explanation, can (just about ) get my head round how that works out from a thermal efficiency

viewpoint.

Thread: Combi Boiler fault finding
20/12/2018 13:21:40

Forget troublesome 'Combis', save money and regress to the future with a simple 1980's design

Baxi Solo.

' Problem resolu ' , forever.

Thread: Modern efficiency !!!!!!!!!
20/12/2018 13:13:59

Back to 'efficiency'.

How can it be possible for a 'hybrid' car ( Prius say ) to be more 'efficient' than a ' non-hybrid' version

of the same car ?

Thread: French model Engineers
17/12/2018 09:43:48

No, I think four is about it.

I was an ' ex-pat ' in Belgium for four years , traveled all over France and happened to walk pass the plaque

outside the house where Henry Royce lived, back in 1900's .

Guess he was one of 'us'.

17/12/2018 09:09:11

No, I think four is about it.

I was an ' ex-pat ' in Belgium for four years , traveled all over France and happened to walk pass the plaque

outside the house where Henry Royce lived, back in 1900's .

Guess he was one of 'us'.

Thread: Washing machine motor
30/11/2018 10:48:38

In a workshop that type of motor is a 'death trap' waiting to happen.

My vote, bin it.

Thread: Windows 10 again
30/11/2018 10:43:56

If it is important to you , just check that whatever you buy will run any existing printer you may have.

I was running Windows 8 on my old Toshiba Satellite pro and everything was fine. Tosh broke so bought an

identical 2nd hand one but it has Windows 10, impossible to make printer work.

Now told common problem.

Thread: Unnecessary waste of paper
28/11/2018 15:24:34

Many years ago,when I reached the tender age of 65, in addition to my main pension I found two tiny extra

pensions.

One of £2.68 a year, which I naturally asked to be paid monthly, as it was taxed, Each month I would get an envelope with the paperwork inside showing 18p had been paid into my account, plus 4p to the Inland Revenue.

After many years they did try to pay me off (refused), so now get the lump sum of £2.15 up front.

Thread: Choosing...
20/11/2018 12:17:55

Just my thoughts.

Try to choose a design with outside cylinders /steam chest /valve gear.

Speak to as many people as possible that have built it before.

Make sure that you have discovered ALL the important drawing errors before drilling/cutting holes, etc.

I can assure you drawing errors on old designs have NOT been corrected.

Thread: Brazing Mild Steel
12/11/2018 09:38:04

Just be careful that the mild steel is not leaded.

The joint will look good but a good smack with a hammer will show the problem.

Thread: French model Engineers
03/11/2018 19:49:53

Combien c'est la ?

Trois ?

Thread: Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition
21/10/2018 09:48:59

I enjoyed the show on Thursday, many interesting conversations with exhibitors on details of construction and design. The perfection achieved on some of the exhibits is just breathtaking to behold.

I do agree with some of the earlier comments, especially the sparseness of 'anything' at the Alexandra palace venue, greed will finish off that exhibition if it continues.

Thread: Better resealing alternatives to paint tins?
27/08/2018 11:56:04

Never tried it but perhaps a layer of clingfilm pushed onto the surface of the paint before closing the tin would work ?

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
19/08/2018 08:15:42

For those who don't know of, or have never been to, the AVRO museum in Woodford, I can only suggest

a visit. The enthusiasm of the volunteers running the museum is priceless.

Do the research for the best time to visit, allow at least five hours to do it all.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest