By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mechman48

Here is a list of all the postings mechman48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How To Post Pictures/Photographs and Create Albums
19/11/2018 11:04:10

I seem to have success with sizing my pics at 300 - 350 wide when posting, the height adjusts itself automatically, or viky verky...

George.

Thread: How can I tell if it's cast Iron
18/11/2018 19:15:07

File it; if CI it will produce grey dust.

George.

Thread: Breaking drive belts on super mini
18/11/2018 16:50:58

Obvious questions but; have you got the tool on centre height, do you have enough back rake on your tip ( HSS ? ) so that the swarf 'curls' up & out of the slot. you say you have paraffin as coolant, are you parting off aluminium in which case you need to up your rpm as 350 rpm will heat up the aluminium & make it stick. Not having a mini lathe ( I have a WM250V-F ) I assume that there is no auto X feed & you are feeing in by hand, can you 'feel' what the tip is doing, you should be able to 'feel if you are feeding in too fast / slow... adjust accordingly.

I have my compound slide pulled back toward the centre of the X slide so to have better support under the overhang & with all the locking bolts on the saddle pulled up, as you have, plus I have a lock on the gib strip...

gib key mod (16).jpg

Tool holder / compound slide set back so that overhang is better supported over saddle...

tool holder set back (2).jpg

George.

Thread: Machining cast iron
18/11/2018 16:21:58

FWIW... if you have a BBQ that you are not using, light it up & get the charcoal embers to the usual white ash stage, place your casting in the middle of the embers & leave overnight to cool off, that usually does the trick.

George.

Thread: Hemingway Hacksaw
16/11/2018 16:20:06

Continued on with my Boxer twin oscillator; soldered on the end blocks after re-tinning the frame & blocks, didn't want to redo... again! seems to have taken ok, got down to cleaning it up... plenty of elbow grease coming up !...

29.osc end blocks soldered on (2).jpg

Cleaning up process …

29.osc end blocks soldered on (3).jpg

Seem to be taking a long time with this one, family issues taking priority tho'

George.

Edited by George. Oooops…right forum... wrong thread Maybe moderator could move?

Edited By mechman48 on 16/11/2018 16:23:43

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
16/11/2018 15:59:40

Spent a couple of hrs yesterday on my box twin oscillator. Soldered the end blocks on & started cleaning up...

Soldered...

29.osc end blocks soldered on (2).jpg

Process of cleaning up...

29.osc end blocks soldered on (3).jpg

Lot of elbow grease needed yet.

George.

Thread: Death of Model Engineering?
15/11/2018 12:58:57

Very nice work, nice video, I do like the little shaper he has.

George.

Thread: Warco WM250 Colle set question 2
15/11/2018 12:06:59
Posted by Howard Lewis on 14/11/2018 22:28:25:

FWIW

Agree with S O D comments. 3 jaw for most work; 4 jaw for accurate centering.

Although have the equipment, rarely use my ER collets in the lathe . (Useful if doing repetition work, but not my scene. Biggest quantity ever made; eight clamp screws for a 4 way toolpost)

Made a holder for ER25 collets for a Tailstock sliding Tap Holder.

BUT most often used on the Mill, to deal with different size endmills / slot drills, arbors for gear cutting, or for work holding, in Stevenson type collet blocks, or the Rotary Table.

Howard

Virtually the same as I do apart from the tailstock holder which I have made a different type. I use my hexagonal Stephenson's block in my three jaw chuck for small work as I can get it to run more accurately than the small amount of run out the 3 jaw has. I also have a MT4 collet chuck to fit the headstock taper & find that this suffices more than adequately for my needs rather than buy a collet chuck & back plate, so I am well catered for.

George.

Thread: Upgrade from SC3 lathe
13/11/2018 23:22:13

…. 'I am surprised there are no Warco owners praising their machines. They did look to be well built'

I have a WM250VF + a WM16 mill & am highly satisfied with both machines to date... both bought from the Harrogate mod' exhib' back in 2012. They both do what I give them to do without complaint, mind you I know their limitations so don't flog 'em.

Happy now … devil

George.

Thread: Evenings all
13/11/2018 12:16:12

… 'Yeah that £65 price wasn't even for the raising blocks, just 4 adjusting bolts!'

Have a look at …

**LINK**

'Machine mounts'.... usual disclaimer.

George.

Thread: Myford ml7 tools size
13/11/2018 11:30:32

Have you considered getting a tangential tool; initially expensive but you only need one HSS tool bit, & will only need to grind the top face to touch up plus you can set the bit to centre height without having to shim up. There are other members who have made one for their machine & swear by it, & have drawings available if you ask. I have one, bought from Eccentric Engineering, ad on the right, usual disclaimer, & I use it for 90% of my machining. I do have a selection of HSS & indexible tipped cutters but these were bought 'along the way' as we all tend to do.

George.

Thread: Do you clean up your rough end
13/11/2018 11:17:26
Posted by Ian S C on 13/11/2018 10:02:53:

You might as well do it while it's still in the lathe, you'll have to do it at the beginning of the next job, and that time might be wasted, it's going to happen some time.

Ian S C

+1 - I tend to face off the end & put a light chamfer on... then ready to spot / centre drill on next job.

George.

Thread: Stuart No. 1 Build Progress
07/11/2018 15:37:13
Posted by Mark Gould 1 on 07/11/2018 15:11:39:

George,

It is a LED ring that attaches via magnets to the bottom of the milling head, around the spindle. I bought it on eBay but to be honest I am going to replace it with a larger diameter ring. This ring has an internal diameter which is 2mm larger than the spindle thickness and so the light is concentrated around the spindle. A collet/drill chuck or shell mill actually blocks the light from getting to the cutting surface.

I am going to get a larger one with a 100mm diameter (€8 on Banggood) to see whether it clears the tool. Keep you posted.

Mark

Much appreciated. My mill measured up at 80 mill but 100 mm looks a more promising size.

Geo.

07/11/2018 13:49:12

Looking good Mark; I like the lighting set up on your mill, I assume it's an 'angel eye' off eBay. is it powered off a 12v 'wall wart'? would be nice to see more pics of lighting set up.

George.

Thread: Help with Clarke CL500M Milling Aluminium
06/11/2018 09:25:13

Some info for you, FWIW, sorry not very clear but readable; It will give you the general set up for depths / widths of cut etc. Aluminium can differ in content, some are 'soft' others 'hard' so surface speed differs & is adjusted accordingly but if you are above 800+ rpm you'll be in the ball park. Air mist blast coolant / WD40 are the better methods of cooling especially if you have 'soft' aluminium material, helps stop it 'sticking' to the teeth tips.

milling info.jpg

George.

Thread: RF 31 BENCH MILL DRILL
06/11/2018 08:55:53

Have a look at...

**LINK**

**LINK** … Major Mill/drill.

They look to be in the same family as your RF31 ... Usual disclaimer applies in all cases..., just thought they may be able to help.

George.

Thread: what Christmas present
05/11/2018 19:17:40

£500; WOW! I should be so lucky surprise … now let me think on that … thinking … decisions, decisions, oh dear... dont know

George.

Thread: End Mill Sharpening
03/11/2018 15:33:20
Posted by Oldiron on 03/11/2018 12:50:02:

Hi Howard. An update to the link for end mill sharpening.

Homeworkshop Advert ID: 33969

Tools
Details:
Details:
End mill and slot drill re-grinding service offered for a donation to EACH.(East Anglia Children’s Hospice. Action has been approved by them)
Work is on an Alexander T&C grinder.
Shank dia. from 5mm to 16mm or imperial equivalent.
End lips only not O/D
HSS. 5 cutters for £8
Carbide 5 cutters for £15
Slitting saws please phone
You pay the postage.
Terms:
Price: £1.00
Post Only
Geoff Josey
Wymondham
NR18
UK
email
I hope this helps.
regards

Edited By Oldiron on 03/11/2018 12:50:44

Have used this service myself last year; sent 6 cutters off to him, came back PDQ, all nicely done, paid him via P/Order, would recommend him any time … usual disclaimer. Get your Worden into action you will soon dispel your fear... wish I had a Worden … thinking

George.

Thread: Beginners Engine Advice?
03/11/2018 00:00:34

An ambitious plan to start with; have you got equipment, lathe, mill, / drill, measuring equipment, workshop / space etc, etc, when was the last time you used any of these ?, I hazard a guess that was in college or uni & your engineering background is in CAD designing etc as you claim not in any mechanical way. Not to worry, there are many superb models that have been made by non engineering back ground hobbyists.

A) nothing is a step too far... it's taking that first step.

B) There are always options... what is achievable with your present capabilities.

C) I would suggest you start with a smaller model i.e. as you say a Pottymill, Stuart type kit, 10V, etc. to get some practical experience first & to get to know your machinery.

D) We're all mad on here so join the gang... smile p

As you have already bought a set of plans you've made a start. you need to ask yourself some questions though, do I have the capability to solder up a boiler to meet inspection / certification / insurance standards ?, can I form sheet metal, can I bend / solder tubing without kinking it ?, Can I make a clack valve / safety valve ( although these can be bought ) etc, etc.

I have a set of plans for a 'Minnie' but loco's are not my bent … at the moment! ( I don't know if I'll have the time to finish it ), I am sticking with smaller engines at the mo', the likes of Stuart 10V, 10H, progress, oscillators from plans from 'Elmer engines' etc. to which I can make mistakes without too much cost to material, time etc. & where I can get satisfaction of seeing them run ( albeit on compressed air ) in a reasonable time scale. You also have to factor in ongoing tooling costs that have to be approved by the finance director...SWMBO ! … don't be under the misapprehension that brownie points will get you every thing you want / need, ... it doesn't work, believe me! devil it only takes one 'Aw sh1t' to wipe out any you have accumulated.

Never the less if you feel like starting off with a loco; go for it, you wont know if you can do it until you try. I'm sure that there will be other members who will offer their opinions & advice, the above is just my offering. One thing is for sure; once you're hooked, you're hooked.

Enjoy

George.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
01/11/2018 18:31:26

Mother of bride has arthritis in fingers... just to help manipulating buttons … if need be thinking

Geo.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
méridienne Nov 18
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Sarik
Shapiro
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest