By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mechman48

Here is a list of all the postings mechman48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
16/01/2020 20:27:53
Posted by geoff walker 1 on 16/01/2020 19:36:22:

Hi George,

Did you cut/machine those frames yourself or are they laser cut.

If the former, well done, great job.

If the latter.........

Nice work George, keep the photos coming

Geoff

Originally I got some 3mm stainless frames laser cut by a friend who retired from a co. & still has links within it, which were spot on but the drawing asked for 6mm plate/brass/ aluminium so that the tapped bearing locations could be marked off the centre line, 3mm was too thin. He said the laser machine would blast the thin ribs when the machine power was adjusted to cut 6mm, & he couldn't get hold of any 6 mm steel; so he told me ?.

I ended up buying some 6mm aluminium plate & started from scratch, remarking out the profile & set to drilling radii in the corners, chain drilling the outer profile out followed up with flat filing, then piercing saw the inner shapes out to suit, finally using small ( 4" ) smooth files to remove excess followed up with flat, round & 1/ 2 round needle files to draw file & finish off, so yes all done by myself. I've already done a few more of the fiddley bits, plus crankshaft...

Beam engine crankshaft & webs (3).jpg

Beam engine crankshaft & webs (2).jpg

My next step is to do the beam; I was looking at using a casting from Stuarts models but after e mailing them for info' their castings are too big so I will have to mill out from solid, the drawing call for MS plate but am tempted to use 6mm aluminium plate left over from frames, easier to machine out thinking

Machining the CI flywheel...

1.flywheel machining 1 .jpg

George.

16/01/2020 17:11:06

Done a bit more on the frames of my beam engine, looks like a model is emerging...

beam engine frames 2.jpg

beam engine frames.jpg

George.

Thread: Homemade Lathe
14/01/2020 10:50:13
Posted by ega on 13/01/2020 16:27:30:
Posted by Oldiron on 13/01/2020 15:13:33:

What was the purpose of pouring swarf on the shaft ?? We know its going to get in there anyway. But at least he made something in the shop. smiley

I thought it might be graphite.

My guess it is graphite flakes or shredded graphite yarn from valve packing... thinking

George.

Thread: The cultural status of engineers in the UK
11/01/2020 12:32:50

…' I allus wanted to be an injuneer, now I is wun', has been said over many a decade, in jest or as a mickey taking point. Seriously though; when I was an apprentice training instructor there was a yearly ( 3 mo ) intake of 'graduate engineers' from the local uni who were tasked with designing a project then producing said project along with a report on the purpose, manufacture process & did the project meet the aims of their design & client requirements. Academically they were brilliant, they could tell you the fine end of a fart, what speed it travels at, what volume it has & its molecular weight; I joke of course devil , extremely nice guys to say the least, but ask them to go through the process of material purchase, tooling selection, machine set up processes, speeds / feeds of drilling / turning, accumulative errors on marking out etc. well I say no more. With the help of the top 2nd year apprentices ( NVQ L2/3 ), & overseen by myself, they always ended up with a valid design / project, so from my perspective... 'Engineer' … academically qualified. Some companies will accept min' HND to be classified as Engineer on their books, then > BEng, BSc etc. therefore the old adage 'theory & practice never meet' applies, no disrespect to Engineers of course.

In the same context another aspect is the Merchant Navy, where the engine room staff were called ( post ww2 ) 'Engineering Officers' iirc, myself included i.e.Jnr & 4th Engineer so it's a subject for lots of debate on the definition 'Engineer'

George.

Thread: Cheap Coolant system for a mini-mill
08/01/2020 11:52:19

The original pics were on Photobucket so now lost. when I get chance I'll have a look at my pics & repost if I still have them otherwise it'll be a re-shoot.

George.

Thread: TiN coated twist drills
03/01/2020 18:41:43

Had similar problems with garage security light a couple years ago; it was a Halogen bulb type, which I never limed in the first place, any way like others, once I removed the screw it was replaced with an SS screw coated with 'Copperslip'. I have since replaced the Halogen light when it blew again last year with a LED unit from Aldi, no more blown bulbs ( LED's ) I hope. Usual disclaimer applies.

George.

Thread: Merry Christmas Everybody!
25/12/2019 12:01:16

Merry Christmas to all, hope Santa has brought all of you many new 'toys'

George.

Thread: All I want for Christmas ...
24/12/2019 13:38:12

Very nice but I will have to save up, I've got 93p left after family xmas shopping.. devil party

Merry Christmas to all & hopefully Santa will bring nice Christmas goodies for all man caves/ sheds

George.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
12/12/2019 12:57:45

Bri, did you get the unit from Warco or Chester's as it seems to be in Chester's colour scheme. I would have queried the chips & scuffs first off, as you say it may have been a returned unit ?

George.

Thread: Stuart S50 (Want to cry)
12/12/2019 12:42:39

Had a similar problem with my S10V, the standard had a chilled surface on the diameter & the only way I had to machine the face was to use a carbide insert face mill & a brazed on carbide tipped tool for the OD...

Bright ring is the chilled iron …

s10v casting hard skin (2).jpg

George.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
11/12/2019 18:40:12

Gone through a few piercing saw blades lately doing the frames for my beam engine; pushing that bit too fast or twisting out of square, ah well ! all sent to try us. dont know

George.

Thread: Toolpost dilemma
11/12/2019 18:32:11

Of the 20plus holders I have only 4 are originals but they all seem to fit, the last few needed a bit of encouragement but at about £10 each fair enough. Anyone tried a Bison one on a Dickson post...

I have a Bison tool post set up on my WM250V-F; of the 18 holders I have there are two with a 'W - M' stamped on, so a right mix 'n' match some were bought from Harrogate exhib', eBay, RDG ( usual disclaimer ) & all fit the tool post without any 'encouragement' maybe I've been lucky buy so far so good.

George.

Thread: Hello from the North East
05/12/2019 18:01:07

Hi there SP & welcome; where abouts in the north east are you situated, I'm on the outskirts of 'Boro'... Marton. If I can be of any help be sure to drop me a pm, as said any questions you have some one on here will provide the answer.

George.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
03/12/2019 10:39:56

Have you tried a wire wheel bench grinder ?

George.

Thread: Arc euro micro drill adaptor
02/12/2019 16:42:50

I have one; I have used it occasionally on brass / aluminium, on mild steel I've had to push harder to get it to drill effectively but that is down to the lesser effect of the bearing & knurled wheel not having the leverage of a rack & pinion handle if you get my drift, but it does work. If you think about it there could be a way to cobble up some sort of lever action but I would be leary of using it on mild steel, stick to brass / aluminium it works ok.

George.

p.s S.O.D. posted as I was typing... I have also used mine to tap small holes in brass & CI … 2mm <.

Edited By mechman48 on 02/12/2019 16:45:38

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
29/11/2019 17:49:25

Yesterday actually; Had a play with my new toy, a mini belt sander sold on Banggood ( usual disclaimer ) at a very reasonable price, early Xmas gift to oneself … devil … used it to sand away some excess from my beam engine frames, does a nice job so far.

mini sander (1).jpg

mini sander (2).jpg

George.

Thread: ARC Catalogue No.11
28/11/2019 11:09:31

Catalogue arrived yesterday, nice to see items in good clear pictures, with all codes, prices clearly defined, binned #10. thanks arc Euro.

George.

Thread: LPG heater- fumes
28/11/2019 10:58:26

Ditch the gas Mick; for all the reasons posted above. I have a single garage utilised as my man cave, 17ft x 8 ft, fully insulated walls & roof space. I use 2 small oil filled rads at either end, switched on for 1/2 hr at a time, it soon gets up to a comfy 16*C.

George

Thread: DRO on a Mill
26/11/2019 23:18:41
Posted by Vic on 26/11/2019 21:02:37:

I find a basic digital scale on the quill indispensable for drilling. Some folks are keen to say it’s not very accurate but It’s been more than good enough for me.

posted by Paul Lousick...

Much easier on my mill to adjust cutter height with the quill than with the column because it has a geared micro adjusting knob which can raise/lower the quill by a thou or 2.

Same for me; I've not had any probs with mine on my WM16. I have also fitted X & Y axis readouts to it so in effect, 3 dro's. see my album 'DRO'

George.

Thread: Raising the work area
26/11/2019 22:57:18

Looks like a Clarke CL500. I had one before my WM250, there should be a compound slide on the saddle as Q says. As for milling with it; from my experience with these combos you have to be careful on the depth of cut as they will not be rigid enough to put on a decent cut, they tend to shake about a bit, other wise fine for drilling. Machine Mart sell the box squares for these machines ( usual disclaimer. ).

**LINK**

George.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest