By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mechman48

Here is a list of all the postings mechman48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How badly do I need a surface plate?
21/07/2019 18:00:37

i have used float / plate glass & either are more than 'flat' enough for marking out. I presently have an polished marble off cut ( sink cut out ) from a kitchen fitting firm, free gratis! Just went in & asked the foreman & after a short explanation of what I wanted it for, he produced a 18" x 18" x 1" piece; ran a digital dti over it & only a .001" fall off at one corner with slight chip on same corner, does fine for me.

George.

Thread: What mills have you had
21/07/2019 17:42:17

... First was the CL500. Never really got on with it.

Me too, not stable /rigid enough to do anything more than light milling cuts, now have a WM16 much better machine handles every thing I've given it to do.

George.

Thread: ROY FROM WIGAN NEW MEMBER
20/07/2019 18:18:02

I like to read and watch instructional DVDs on my interests, Can anyone suggest any for beginners, always the best place to start, and where I can get hold of them.

Look on YouTube there are hundreds of instructional videos... Doubleboost; Ades workshop, Mrpete222, Keith Appleton, Steve Jordan to name but a few especially for beginners.

Enjoy

George.

Thread: My first model - The Stuart 10V
19/07/2019 17:38:55

Del /Lainchy

Both good models to begin with; here are my examples of S10V & S50...

**LINK**

**LINK**

George.

Thread: If it ain't broke don't fix it - or should I?
19/07/2019 12:15:23

An old engineering adage … 'if it aint broke don't fix it'. So if it runs accurately enough for you … 0.008mm is pretty damnm good so...

George.

Thread: moore and wright internal micrometer
18/07/2019 13:25:11

IIRC all the rods are a fixed length; the measurement is taken via the thimble, e.g. a 6" rod is fitted into the thimble & locked in place with the thumb screw, you get the extra 1" of measurement via the thimble as normal hence 6" - 7" internal diameter range.. Any adjustment to accuracy is done on the thimble as in a outside micrometer 'zeroing' . I believe the spanner flats are to aid in seating the rod hard up to the thimble face & in removal of same as the rods can often get tight in the thimble as they tend to be a tight fit. That's my excuse .. devil but open to be corrected.

George.

Thread: Piece of Cake
18/07/2019 10:20:43
Posted by XD 351 on 17/07/2019 18:06:01:

What a PIA !

I will never complain about doing an engine change again !

From the video i noticed a few things :

The guys in white coats are the boffins - there to tell everyone how to do it and never get their hands dirty .

The guys in blue are there to stand around with their hands on their hips amd make silly comments - a low chance of them getting dirty as well

The guys in red do 95% of the work and are probably the lowest paid out of all of them all !

Beg to differ; going back many years to when I was Marine engineer in the MN , ED & Blue Flue Co. the guys in white are the ships Senior engineers, the guys in blue would most likely be subcontractors or dock yard fitting techs, guys in red are the heavy lift guys brought in, the Philippine guys in light blue would be the ships mech tech /assistant engineers. I wore white overalls when on watch & nothing but skiddies underneath, it was hot down there in engine room, & I am not talking of todays remote controlled air conditioned ships either. Engines were Sulzer's, B&W or steam turbine driving small general cargo trade, 7 - 10 thousand gross tonnage.

George.

Thread: Milling Problems
18/07/2019 09:26:17

Definitely some chilled iron there; PIA unless you can get under the 'skin' or heat treat it as mentioned. The following pic shows the 'chilled' outer O/D portion of the frame off my S10,

s10v casting hard skin (2).jpg

George.

Thread: ROY FROM WIGAN NEW MEMBER
17/07/2019 14:35:36

Welcome Roy; my first machine was a CL500, fairly heavy machine so careful on manoeuvring it, I had mine stood on a sturdy woodworker bench for years so not to worry over a table for it as mentioned build your own. Don't expect the milling head to do any decent milling, too top heavy & the axial / radial forces will want to move the head, I did use mine for milling but only very, very light cuts. I would only use the head for drilling if I were you. Anyways, again,welcome to the world of Model engineering

George.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
17/07/2019 13:11:12

Earlier in the week actually; received via courier delivery my belated birthday gift from 2nd daughter, what she actually said was 'get some metal bits for the garage for your birthday & I'll pay for it' so, as I was in the process of setting up to make a sensitive drilling attachment for my lathe from some drawings & getting together the material this offer to get 'some metal bits' changed the plans so to speak so I ordered one of these off eBay, at a very reasonable price I thought, anyhow it arrived a couple of days ago... nice piece of kit, looks & feels reasonably well made & lubricated ( for Indian made ), not as precision ground on the yoke as I expected but everything has been through a grinding process, & the sliding operation feels smooth without any noticeable play, so we'll see how it preforms at a later date...

Sensitive drill attachment (3).jpg

Sensitive drill attachment (4).jpg

So a nice thanks to daughter # 2 was duly proffered, a neat birthday gift at the price never the less.

George.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
16/07/2019 14:06:23

Picked up the side frames for my beam engine project. Superbly cut on laser cutter in stainless Steel...

2.balance beam engine frames.jpg

Thread: Stuart S50, MSM 4" Boiler & Demon Chuff Pot
16/07/2019 14:00:49

thumbs up smiley thumbs up

George.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
16/07/2019 13:54:39

Picked up a set of side frames for my present project that were laser cut at a friends ex workplace ( he's now retired but is called in occasionally ), superb results I must say...

2.balance beam engine frames.jpg

George.

Thread: Best way to cut HSS tool blanks from bar?
16/07/2019 13:33:10

Hi Jim, Not a problem, if it is only a small size you can just cut into it a fair distance, hold it in a vice then cover it with a cloth & give it a sharp thump with a hammer & it will snap off... there again just continue with the grinder. As Jim mentions above keep a water supply handy to splash on occasionally.

George.

Thread: Cheap Tipped Tool Set - Maybe not all bad..?
16/07/2019 13:26:21

I only use the brazed carbide L/R hand knife edge on cast iron; cylinders / flywheels & the like, the rest ( most of ) of my cutting is done with a tangential tool with a HSS bit which I bought from 'Eccentric Engineering', see ad on right of page. I do use 'insert' type cutters as well, depending on material & type of finish I can get, but mainly the tangential.

George.

Thread: Engineers blue alternatives
16/07/2019 13:17:17
Posted by Bill Pudney on 16/07/2019 11:26:43:

My experience of scraping goes back to my apprenticeship in the 60s. Way back then the best results were had with a VERY light application of blue, it seems to me that any sort of roller would put on far too much. But I may be wrong, it has happened before according to The Boss.

cheers

Bill

Snap!... me too, but we used to roll up a pad of cloth into a firm ball then dab it on to the 'engineers blue' tin then dab it onto the surface plate evening it out before placing the object to be scraped on to the plate, a couple of light pushes brought up the high spots that needed scraping, repeat until 'minimum' of 25 points per sq. inch was achieved, we usually aimed for a lot more, before the charge hand accepted it.

George.

Thread: Barrier Cream
16/07/2019 12:54:59

I use barrier cream especially when I'm working with CI; plus I use nitrile gloves as extra protection. & when cleaning up. I have used most of the previous mentioned by other posts, especially Rozalex cream during my apprentice days, certainly help to keep the pores clean. My latest batch is from Machine Mart, is very economical, dries very quickly after application & washes off very easily. I have used that bathroom cleaner JIF on more stubborn grime if I haven't used barrier cream & it doesn't seem to do my 'delicate hands' … face 20 any harm...

Usual disclaimer applies to commercial products.

barrier cream.jpg

George.

Thread: Another scam
13/07/2019 12:11:26

Got one from Virginmedia today claiming fault with payment & will be disconnected on the 15th July... obviously a scam; not bothered if they disconnect me cost too much for repeats.

George.

Thread: Tour of my Model & Toy Steam Engine Room
11/07/2019 10:44:39

Must be something amiss on my pc; when I try to play movie my pc freezes up? have had to restart pc 3 times. Do you have a link to your YouTube channel?

George.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
10/07/2019 20:47:45

Finally got together the material & received the flywheel for my next project; the single cylinder beam engine. Made a start on the flywheel, took some setting up in the 4 jaw to get it to run true to within .005" all round, initially machined the face & boss, drilled shaft bore to 5.5mm to leave drilling / reaming allowance for 6mm later on, next step will be to machine inside of rim at present setting to maintain concentricity ...

1.flywheel machining 1 .jpg

George.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest