By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mechman48

Here is a list of all the postings mechman48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hobby mill
17/01/2019 12:58:10

Speaking on my experience only; I have a Warco WM16 which I have found to be more than capable of what I've given it to do. It is small enough, but heavy enough for a fair amount of rigidity, easily lifted by two, although I used an engine hoist I'd bought as I also bought a WM250V-F lathe, having this made lifting both machines on to their respective stands a lot easier but again could be lifted by two.

Again it depends on your budget; you will need to get the basic tooling to get you going, just bear in mind as you go along you tend to collect extra tooling, 'I need one of them' or 'hmm that would be nice to have', we've all been there, & I'm still doing it, so you can consider budgeting as much again for tooling as your mill costs.

Happy hunting
George.

Thread: WM250VF Loose Saddle
16/01/2019 23:16:21

thumbs up

Geo.

16/01/2019 12:48:09

Just on the off chance check the 4 SHSC that fasten the cross slide to the saddle gear box, they may have also worked loose enough to give it slight lift...?

George.

16/01/2019 11:17:45

Just had a look at my manual, the item I mentioned is part # 63 on the carriage assembly page.

George.

16/01/2019 11:12:09

I have a 250V-F too... this happened to me, have a look at the back of the saddle, under the shear, you should find a metal 'gib strip' held on by bolts these may well be loose, give them a snug up , it should fix the problem.

George.

Thread: Garage Condensation
12/01/2019 11:28:07

In my garage conversion I used 2 x 2 battens framework infilled with 1" Celotex ( front & back foil covered ) with 1" air gap between walls & insulation, covered with 12mm OSB. The garage door is 20mm insulated panel roll up type with rubber seal on bottom. The roof space is plaster boarded covered with a layer of 'Space blanket' insulation. all this has, so far maintained a constant temp' of + 6 - 8*C in cold weather, even when the outside temp was at - 6*C + during that last bad cold spell.

As & when I need to raise the temp' I have 2 small 3 panel oil filled radiators, thermostatically controlled to keep the temp around 15 -17*C... nice & cosy. Conversely during the heatwave we had last year I had to leave the entry door open to 'warm it up to outside temp' as it was decidedly cooler inside. I have not had any need for a de-humidifier & so far not had any rust problem.

George.

Thread: Gatwick Drone 'Attack'
09/01/2019 10:58:23

Simple answer would be … whoever buys a drone has to register it with the CAA with it's serial #, model #, name & address of the owner. These drones are usually operable within a 1or 2 kilometres of the control system ( apart from industrial / film / TV production models ) so should one be 'captured' then the authorities only have to look within that radius to locate the owner …?. Just my two pence worth.

George.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
08/01/2019 21:08:16

Thanks Neil; I'll not worry over 1.7 thou' per inch in what I do

Geo.

Thread: Best value parting tool for mild steel?
08/01/2019 20:24:18

I use one similar to this in most of my parting off; I also use a 10mm HSS for smaller jobs Both have proved to be very hardy in the parting off they've done. Usual disclaimer applies.

**LINK**

George.

Thread: Editing posts and other ideas.
08/01/2019 13:10:22

… "One really confusing thing is how the Return key takes you back to the top of the page"...

I have the same problem with my desktop running Win 10 & have had for some time now, Never have got a sensible solution. The only way I have circumvented this is to press 'Shift' & 'Enter' together which then drops the cursor down to the next line, & do the same if a new paragraph is started, as with other comments this is the only forum where this anomaly happens, on all others I use I can simply press the 'Enter' key & it drops down automatically. It must be to do with the web page original formatting is all I can conclude.

George.

Thread: Work holding and boring
08/01/2019 11:26:37

Might I suggest that you place a silver steel rod into your crank bearing housing location & use a DTI on your 'Y' or 'Z' axis, whichever way you have it set up to check you are running co-axially to the casting centre line & at 90* to the front face before you bore it out, if you get my drift.

George.

Thread: Mill head tramming
07/01/2019 18:23:58

For those sort of readings... 'If it aint broke don't fix it'

George.

Thread: what solvent cleaner to use?
07/01/2019 10:39:21

Remember using Trico for degreasing overalls when finished a mill change when I was apprentice... did the job superbly but the stitching didn't last long hence seams coming apart. the stores then organised a cleaning system with an outside provider, for a small fee, which resolved the dissolving seams issue... Ahhh the weird things we did as apprentices. These days I use Brake disc cleaner, white spirits, industrial degreaser etc.

George.

06/01/2019 18:51:40

Finished off the set of angle plates; all within 0.1* according to my digi gauge...just need a bit more polish up...

angle plates (2).jpg

George.

Thread: Back again
05/01/2019 18:20:16

Know how you feel Nige; been there got the tee shirt etc... nice to see you're feeling better.

George.

Thread: A Video for Ron
05/01/2019 16:54:29

Wow! 4 min. 22 sec. to come to a complete stop... nigh on perpetual motion... devil … can't complain about those bearings.

George.

05/01/2019 16:44:08

Digi readings as displayed for the later two angle plates …

60* side...
home made angle plates 30 .60(1).jpg

30* side …
home made angle plates 30.60 (2).jpg

so; 59.9* + 30.1* = 90 *

20* side...

homemade angle pl;ates 70.20 (1).jpg

70* side …

homemade angle pl;ates 70.20 (2).jpg

so 70* + 20.1 = 90.1* I'm contributing the 0.1' discrepancy in all down to the digi gauge +/- 0.1* as mentioned by
Paul Lousic's post …

''The GemRed web site for digital angle gauges specifies a resolution of 0.1° and a repeatability of ±0.1°. You would need a sine gauge for anything more accurate''.

Just in case the question is asked I zero the digi gauge before readings on ea. side...

home made angle plate digi gauge zeroed out.jpg

So now that I've refreshed my old grey matter with trigonometry workings I'm a happy bunny... now on to a couple more - 5*-10*-15*- 25* using the same methodology... face 20 … don't think I need to post on the rest.

George.

04/01/2019 22:32:20

Made a couple more angle plates today, a 30*- 60* & a 70* - 20*…

home made angle plates 2 more.jpg

George.

03/01/2019 20:29:11
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 03/01/2019 19:12:02:
Posted by mechman48 on 03/01/2019 18:57:31:

The digi gauge showing discrepancy of 1 minute...

Can't complain at the 1st attempt though. Comments / tips welcomed...

George.

Looks good, George ... but I wonder

Have you tried 'rotating' the gauge and reading from t'other side ?

... The readings should, of course, add up to exactly 90°, and a discrepancy would demonstrate a limitation in the resolution/accuracy/repeatability of the digital gauge.

MichaelG.

Thanks for the tip... just been out & tried it t'other way...180*

home made angle plate 45 deg (4).jpg

Bang on 45*… + 45*.1" = 90*.1' … 1" total discrepancy...

So … "a discrepancy would demonstrate a limitation in the resolution/accuracy/repeatability of the digital gauge"... so for a hobbyist work shop ...yes

No doubt purists will comment.

George.

Thread: Busted tap & brute force
03/01/2019 19:18:22

I have drilled broken taps out using carbide tipped glass drills using IanT's guide method above.

George.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
méridienne Nov 18
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest