By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mechman48

Here is a list of all the postings mechman48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
23/03/2019 15:51:43

Looking goooood Mal, watching post expectantly for next pics, thumbs up.

George.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
23/03/2019 15:45:27

Spent some time trying to figure out how to re-arrange my stuff ( take 'trying 'as optimistic thinking ) ended up making an adaptor plate for my compound slide handle to allow me to use cordless drill as auto feed for tapers etc …
not designer chic but hey ! it works...

adaptor plate for compound slide (1).jpg

adaptor plate for compound slide (2).jpg

Didn't have any 8mm hex bar for the centre drive & wasn't going to cut down a piece of 12mm just for a 'make do' set up so used some 8mm screwed rod ,couple of washers, nuts & some thread lock... Bob's your auntie... summat like that.

George.

Thread: A Simple Protective Coating For Steel, Indoors
22/03/2019 11:13:56

I tend to use WD40 spray on the small tote bins that have my short bits of steel plus some light 32 grade oil for my slide ways on my lathe / mill

George.

Thread: 24v dc motor powering a drill press
22/03/2019 10:36:19

… Also this as an aid , the top formula

pulley calculator.jpg

Ref. My Newnes Mechanical engineers pocket book.

George.

22/03/2019 10:15:54

How about changing rpm mechanically... change pulley sizes... a quick search on Google brought up a quick ref. could work out a cheaper method...

**LINK**

George.

22/03/2019 10:12:16

Hi

How about changing rpm mechanically... change pulley sizes... a quick search on Google brought up a quick ref. could work out a cheaper method...

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pulley-motor-speed-d_1475.html

George.

Thread: Hole tolerance help needed.
20/03/2019 09:59:26

Hi Brian

Get yourself a 'ZEUS' book; it has the charts for ISO fit BS 4500- 1969 for clearance, transition & interference fits, plus a lot of other useful information.

George.

Thread: Return key
19/03/2019 18:32:21
Posted by dcosta on 06/06/2013 18:15:24:

Hello Bob (Packmule).
To create a new line you can use simultaneously the Shift key and the Return Key.
If you use the Return key alone you insert also a new empty line.
If you want to create an empty line just do Shift+Return tywice.

Best regards
Dias Costa

Edited By dcosta on 06/06/2013 18:15:41

Bob... Always had to do the same on this forum, raised the question with moderators last year but never really got to the bottom of it. Still have to use the same method as Dias above. never have any probs on any other forum.

George.

Thread: Teesside Model Engineers
18/03/2019 17:00:01

I know of the one at Teess cottage pumping station but its more aligned to locos when I paid it a visit last year. I live at Marton & would like to correspond with anyone in the same locale, Nunthorpe, Ormesby ?

George.

Thread: Workshop insurance
18/03/2019 10:17:07

Over the past 6 years I have created an itemised inventory of tooling in my man cave plus photographs on my pc. I have a folder marked up 'Hobby receipts' precisely for insurance purposes' . I was burgled 5 year ago & the scrote made off with a compressor, mics, various tools, filter / regulator & a couple of my first models. Having the receipts on hand made my claim straightforward & I duly received replacement value. I now make sure that my inventory is updated as & when I add to tooling. Must disagree with comments re.NFU, as when I asked for cover quote from them a couple of years later once they knew I'd been burgled they didn't want to know!.

George.

Thread: Potty:- Helping Dad Grasshopper Engine
17/03/2019 17:47:04

Stewart Hart...

… 'If you want a set of drawings just send me a pm with your email address I’ll send you them'...

Am trying to send you pm for a copy of your plans for my project list but can't find e-mail address for you in your public profile... ' no public profile' ? would appreciate you forwarding me a set.

TIA

George.

Edited By mechman48 on 17/03/2019 17:47:44

Thread: Workshop insurance
17/03/2019 16:37:19

I have asked my Ins.Co. about my converted 'hobby shop' & they have stated that as it is an attached 'garage' but not fitted with an internal access door it is classed as an outbuilding & would only be covered as such to the tune of £2500, but for an extra 'Premium plan' cover payment this increases to £5000,this, as many members will know that would not cover replacement value of Lathe or/& mill alone, never mind all the extra's in there, needless to say I paid the 'premium cover' rate.

I have enquired with WM & they quoted me, at time of asking, £70 per annum, value up to £10K, but that was a couple of years ago. I'm not sure how you would stand with your present insurer with extra cover from a 3rd party insurer, anyone is / has been in this scenario?.

George.

Thread: What is this grinder?
16/03/2019 11:31:21

Found it... Mk1 Abwood... First picture

**LINK**

George.

16/03/2019 11:18:00

Back when I taught apprentices the training centre machine section had one similar for lathe tool grinding but, re Bazyle's comment, ours was two sided, had guide grooves, machined edges, precision angle scale. It was a beast with a cast iron base, 3 ph. Just can't recall the maker, maybe look through Lathes.co.uk for picture.

George.

Thread: Stuart Victoria paint Colour
15/03/2019 18:22:48

Here is a couple of pics of my Vertical single cross engine during its painting process... All colours 'PlastiKote fast dry' enamel... bought from 'Hobbycraft & Halfords' .. usual disclaimer

FDE Aero Sky blue...

61 vscross painting cont (3).jpg

1240 FDE Aero harbour blue... rim... FDE Aero Crème de la Crème...

63.vscross .jpg flywheel polishing (4).jpg

All paint sealed with clear lacquer...

64.vscross .jpg  latest assembly (1).jpg

My colour stock consists of rattle cans ...

Stuart green
Stuart Black
T045 Garden green
FDE Aero sky blue
FDE Aero crème de la crème
FDE 1240 Aero Harbour blue
1065 Insignia red
E508 Chrome effect.

George.

14/03/2019 17:00:46

I used 'PlastiKote' insignia red for my Stuart flywheels. Looks a nice muted red, not a screaming scarlet or pillar box red, usual disclaimer ...

s10v base.jpg

037 s50 pre-trial assembly (3).jpg

George.

Thread: Digital angle gauges
14/03/2019 11:58:32

I've had a 'GemRed' brand for a couple of years now & have only needed to change battery annually, I just zero it at start of use then switch it off when done using it, had no probs with it Usual disclaimer applies.

George.

Thread: Warco WM 290V LATHE
13/03/2019 17:16:42

I only have the WM250V-F myself & that is doing me just fine; but looking at the WM290V at Warcos web site, it's more upmarket model with ac inverter drive & 2 axis DRO, but pricey, would like one mesel' but out of my range. IIRC a member called Thor has an earlier 290V, drop him a pm.

George.

Thread: Hermle FWH Milling machine
13/03/2019 16:58:20

Try...

**LINK**

George.

Thread: Tangential tools ?
13/03/2019 11:38:20

I have a tangential tool for general use too, but also a selection of indexible tipped tools, more a case of nice to have than application. I tend to use the tangential for every day use on MS, brass, & an indexible tip for aluminium although the tangential does just as well. On the few engines I have made I use brazed carbide tipped on cast iron cylinders & flywheels so like others I use what's best for me at the time.

George.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest