By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mechman48

Here is a list of all the postings mechman48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: An old Shaper found in Phuket Town
21/05/2019 19:13:11

There was a planer in the fitting shop where I served my apprenticeship; it was mainly used to machine up long dies for the press brakes in the press bay for bending sheet steel items. IIRC the clapper box was either electrically or electro / mechanically activated so that the tool didn't clatter & bounce on the return stroke of a long die being machined, can't remember what make it was.

George.

Thread: Steam Engine Number One
20/05/2019 14:07:49

My small hearth comprises of 5 vermiculite blocks & blanket ( Cup Alloy ) 4 block for the walls & 1 to form a 'roof' if needed... The largest heating rig I have is the Propane/butane system bought from B & Q which so far has provided enough heat for the small tasks I have done... usual disclaimers apply...

Mini hearth 2.jpg

George.

Thread: oil for lubricating lathe
19/05/2019 11:34:41

I have a WM250V-F & WM16 mill & for the lathe headstock & saddle gearbox I use SAE 10 - 30; for the bed ways on both I use Hyd.32.... 'owt's better than nowt'

George.

Thread: wanted stuart sun drawings
14/05/2019 22:35:36

Hi old school

Pm sent from me too, appreciated.

George.

Thread: Parkson M1250 Beast
14/05/2019 19:30:46

Flippin 'eck what you going to be making with that … surprise smile o ?

George.

Thread: Green Grit Wheel
14/05/2019 19:25:32

You can change either side for a SiC wheel so it's dependent on which side you ( prefer ) to use, are you left/right handed?. Bear in mind that SiC is mainly used for brazed on tungsten carbide tipped tools to be of any use, so if you use them often that's the set up you should be looking at. A lot of members have done away with the SiC wheel & replaced it with a wire wheel & have a generic Al Ox ( medium grade ) on the other end, horses for courses I s'pose.

I have SiC / AL Ox set up on my small 6" grinder & it's been very rare for me to use the SiC wheel apart from the odd touch up on a carbide tip that I use for cast iron plus the occasional touch up of a carbide tipped scriber that doesn't get a lot of use either. No doubt other members will cast their opinions to assist you with variations on a theme

George.

Thread: TOOLING SURVEY
13/05/2019 22:42:41

Just to update the vote; I use tangential as my preferred tool ( 95% 0f the time ) followed up by inserts as the # 2 choice, followed by a couple of specifically ground HSS.

George.

Thread: Myford Clutch Lever fouls the Belt Cover
13/05/2019 22:34:05

I was under the impression that that was what the clutch was for … leave the motor running & engage / disengage the spindle as needed, otherwise why have the clutch?. Doesn't the M10 have a similar set up... but via a belt tension lever at the back... push the tensioner to the rear, belt slack, spindle stops, operate in reverse the belt tensions & spindle starts ?

George.

13/05/2019 18:54:43

What no electric interlock on the belt guard! tut, tut, maybe it's an early mechanical method of disengaging the clutch, when lifting the guard it pushes the lever to disengage position...? dont know devil …. surely somebody has fitted an interlock to Myford guards by now... coat on & leaving the room now!

George.

Thread: Adjustable workshop perching stool
13/05/2019 18:48:26

I have a two step kitchen stool plus a foldable bar stool in my hobby shop for any support needed.

George.

Thread: James Maiwald Flame Licker / Flame Gulper doing some work
11/05/2019 17:26:48

Beat me to the question NDIY; would be nice to see it under some sort of loading.

George.

Thread: Chinese Lathes
09/05/2019 15:30:21

Lathes don't moan if you ignore them for a period

Lathes don't complain if they don't get serviced as often as they should

Lathes don't get headaches

Lathes are ready to perform immediately after power on

Oh I don't know! At this operators age, close to 71, what with spinal arthritis, hiatus hernia, kidney stone that is awaiting removal … all the above apply in reverse context... face 14cryingdevil

George.

08/05/2019 19:33:47

…. Any lathe is better than no lathe, which is more than can be said of wives!

Careful Dave; you can quite easily dig yourself into a hole with that one... devil

George.

08/05/2019 16:15:05

I have always hankered after a Myford Super 7b for years but considering the silly money that is asked I never got round to getting one so ended up with a Warco 250V-F lathe & WM16 mill for the price of a super 7b, I bought both at the Harrogate exhib' back in 2012 & cannot really complain about either, any initial issues were promptly dealt with by Warco so it's a thumbs up for their after sales service from me. To quote an old cliché 'you don't get a Rolls Royce for mini price' but for the hobbyist they do what you give 'em to do & as long as you know their capabilities there's nowt wrong with them... you pays your money etc.

George.

Thread: Setting Milling-machine Vice
07/05/2019 10:30:26
Posted by Paul Lousick on 05/05/2019 10:54:22:

I have machined a keyway in the base of my vice. (Key does not have to be a perfect fit with the slots in the mill table). Just apply pressure against one side of the slot as you tighten the hold down bolts. This is quick and accurate enough for 99% of the machining jobs, as long as the slot is true to the table slide.

Paul.

+ 1, Did the same with my set up & works just fine for me.

George.

Thread: Turning Cast Iron question - Health & Cleaning Up
06/05/2019 10:13:59

I've not had any major problems with machining CI; I tend to start with dry ways as best as possible as per Rick's comment. I have also got a vinyl apron attached to the saddle plus a smaller apron attached to the compound slide which helps deflect dust & chippings away from the bed ways, I also have a couple of neodymium magnets in small resealable plastic bags stuck on the cross slide, these then collect any extra particles & when I'm done I simply remove the magnets from the plastic bags & the chippings fall off into the bin I have next to the lathe.

George.

Thread: Removing Flux
02/05/2019 10:44:05

I have used citric acid, from the home brew counter in a well known discount store, vinegar also works well.

George.

Thread: 1959 Nsu quickly
30/04/2019 22:59:32
Posted by mechman48 on 30/04/2019 18:50:33:

I well remember NSU quick 50's, hankered after one myself but were rare & not cheap, I started out my adventures with bikes with an Italian / English version … Kerry Capitano 50, if anyone remembers those rare birds...

**LINK**

George.

Edited By mechman48 on 30/04/2019 23:01:42

30/04/2019 18:50:33

I well remember NSU quick 50's, hankered after one myself but were rare & not cheap, started out with an Italian version … Capitano 50, if anyone remembers those rare birds.

George.

Thread: Precision Level or Precision Frame Level
30/04/2019 11:24:54

I subscribe to Joe's channel … https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpp6lgdc_XO_FZYJppaFa5w

He has a lot of good videos to watch, very easy & simple explanations for just about anything that Model engineers would need in the home workshop.

George.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale May 19
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest