By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mechman48

Here is a list of all the postings mechman48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Quill DRO advice required
04/09/2019 10:41:11

From Arc Euro site...

'Pre+ and Pre- Buttons: These buttons allow you to preset a target measurement e.g. +1.04mm or -1.04mm. Once set, you can then move the preset distance down (or up) to zero'.

George

Thread: Help choosing a Chinese lathe please
01/09/2019 12:50:04

Have a look at Warco site; I have a WM250V-F & a WM16 mill, can't complain, they do what I want them to do so quite satisfactory for my needs.

George.

Thread: Any idea where to buy a square file 1/4" x 1/4"??
28/08/2019 20:47:07

Surely any well known DIY store will have them, maybe your 'local' hardware store too.

George.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
28/08/2019 20:43:18

Another fine model Jim, nice runner too .

George.

Thread: Parting Off
28/08/2019 20:30:47

Boiled engine fittings...surprise devil ? What gas mark ?

George.

Thread: QCTP problems
27/08/2019 18:13:05

The material looks like a piece of crap ! You could have made a sleeve to fit the top slide bolt, that should be a tight fit in the top slide any way, secured with an anti rotation pin. Carbide inserts work best when speed is in high range & doc is 0.5 at least, if not more. Inserts need to be worked hard to get best results / finish.

George.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
18/08/2019 17:30:26

Used my recently purchased 'sensitive drilling' chuck to drill 1.6mm holes in part of my latest project... works a treat, much more of a 'feel' than using the tailstock hand wheel …

Sensitive drill attachment (4).jpg

George.

Thread: Digital inclinometers
18/08/2019 17:18:22
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 18/08/2019 13:23:17:
Posted by mechman48 on 18/08/2019 12:21:36:

all within... 0.01" ( minute ) so one confirms the other.

Please forgive my pedantry, George [*]

" is the symbol for seconds of arc

' is the symbol for minutes of arc

MichaelG.

[*]

I prefer to think of it as 'attention to detail' but others will, no doubt, disagree.

No probs… one of those grey matter moments, it crossed my mind at the time … thinking

George.

Thread: Protecting mild steel
18/08/2019 12:42:07

… 'I have heard of aerosol hair spray being used as a rust preventive' …

Used this myself over the years, nowadays I use clear lacquer spray available from any DIY/Hardware/ motor shops, hard wearing as it's made for car paintwork coating.

George.

Thread: TTFN
18/08/2019 12:37:18

Glad to see you're back... 'Nils illigitemi' & all that

George.

Thread: Digital inclinometers
18/08/2019 12:21:36

I have one of the digital Wixey type & it works just fine; I have made a set of angle plates using trigonometry, as described in an article / YouTube video posted a while back & checked with the digi gauge, all within... 0.01" ( minute ) so one confirms the other. I also have a digi protractor & an angle protractor on hand, a case of overkill methinks... I am one of those that tend to have a lot of 'it would be a nice to have' moments.

George.

Thread: Making the same mistake
17/08/2019 11:02:35

Try & set it 'double' on the clock just to see; otherwise set it up to run true with a live centre in the offset centre pop, adjust the jaws to nip it, set the clock to run true on a silver steel shaft with a male & female centres in either end & you should be on the mark.

George.

Thread: Stuart Turner #1
17/08/2019 10:54:27

Very nice John; I'm tending to go for other colours as well rather than sticking to Stuart green & black. What is the colour on your model, it looks very similar to the rattle can colour of 'FED Aero crème de la crème' I have ?

George.

Thread: What 3 Words
16/08/2019 13:25:33

… You want what !!… face 20

Geo.

Thread: My digital calipersseems to give varying readings
15/08/2019 18:52:41
Posted by roy entwistle on 15/08/2019 08:44:53:

Dave I was taught as an apprentice never to use the ratchet on a micrometer. You develop a feel for it, as you develop a feel for proper calipers and verniers

Roy

SNAP! me too, satisfying when you got to know the 'drag' on a micrometer, & the jaws on callipers. All good stuff.

George.

Thread: New Milling Machine
13/08/2019 16:02:18

I have a WM16 & I can't complain at all at what I've given it to do. I have fitted dro's on mine, from Arc Euro , remote read out type & I've found them a great help in accuracy, wouldn't want to be with out dro's now. if, as you say they are including dro's I would go for it. Usual disclaimer.

George.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
08/08/2019 09:20:19

Yesterday actually; went to my local B & Q store & bought two 6mm x 1 mtr bms rod & a meter length of 8mm square BMS as short on stock, then went around shops with Finance director.

George.

Thread: WM16B mill
08/08/2019 08:23:02

I have fitted X & Y axis remote read out scales to my WM16, a straight forward job to do. I made a couple of extension spacers to allow me to use the X axis stops,& fitted an aluminium angle to cover & protect the read out head. The X axis is fitted on the front of my machine so I don't lose any Y travel, has worked fine for me for the past 5 years. Well worth doing.

DRO (1).jpg

DRO (2).jpg

DRO(4).jpg

dro fitting (1).jpg

dro fitting (2).jpg

2013-02-12 dro (6).jpg

George.

Thread: Finished my beam engine.
07/08/2019 10:41:07

Nice work for scratch built; if you titivate the base some more I'm sure you could sell it on eBay for a reasonable ( to you ) price. Have a look on the site & see what other variants sell for, then you will have a ball park figure.

George.

Thread: Warco milling machines
06/08/2019 12:55:38

I have a WM16 with a 2MT spindle; I would have gotten the WM18 but got some tooling with the price difference, It fits nicely into the garage/mancave along with my WM250V-F lathe & other bits 'n' bobs one accumulates doing 'our hobby'. The mill has performed most admirably with all that I have given it to do; as with the lathe albeit I don't give either silly D.O.C. so I can only recommend Warco from my perspective, both decent machines.

George.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest