By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mechman48

Here is a list of all the postings mechman48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Using the Maplin (Dremel clone) for cutting tool steel
19/11/2019 22:18:47

This I think is because I am not using the right type or size of saw blade. Can anyone recommend a suitable choice of cutting off blade.

Are you talking saw blade with teeth or a cut off disc 'cos it's the disc you will need. You will need to cut through at least a 1/8 of the way through from each side then fix in vice, cover with old towel / tee shirt & give it a whack with a 2lb hammer, it should snap off easily. The discs that come with some of the kits are quite useable, iirc they are a dark brown / black in colour. I have used these discs without any probs, but you will need patience, if too much pressure is applied you run the risk of shattering the disc.

George.

Edited By mechman48 on 19/11/2019 22:19:51

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
18/11/2019 21:20:31

Ooops …  Double posted.

Edited By mechman48 on 18/11/2019 21:21:42

Edited By mechman48 on 18/11/2019 21:22:30

18/11/2019 19:13:20

Made some mods to my Clarke 4" x 6" band saw yesterday. I was cutting out the frames for my latest project, a beam engine, as owners know the band saw table is nowt but a flimsy bit of 1.5 mm sheet steel with an indent to fit a fence on one side, also inherent is the gap in the plate where the blade travels through so all the cuttings can fall in between the guide rollers which won't do them any favours in any way. It was on my toduit list but as we all know that gets left 'toduit later' so as later has arrived I sorted through some of my stock to stiffen it up.

I found apiece of 3mm aluminium that I had for another project that has gone by the wayside so what better to use. A couple of simple measurements later & I had the right size to fit under the table in the larger section. How was I going to fix it I sez?, a bit more rooting around & I found 4 x 2 BA countersunk screws doing nowt so they were pressed into service. I decided to go a bit OTT with the securing so used some 2 part metal epoxy mix & stuck the aluminium plate to the plate. When dried ( overnight ) I drilled through the original c/sunk holes, plus adding another 4 2 BA tapped holes & tapped the aluminium plate 2 BA. After careful measuring I slotted the assembly to the centre line long enough to match the original fixing screws set up.

Not a great mod but it certainly made a much better support for the band saw, no more flexing table !. I know there are some members have described making tiltable tables but I didn't want to faff on with some thing complicated when I didn't need to; saying that I s'pose this mod is now a mod to mod later … back to the toduit list.

band saw table mods 1.jpg

band saw table mods 2.jpg

With aluminium plate fixed the risk of any small pieces falling down between bottom guide rollers is virtually eliminated ...

band saw table mods 3.jpg

I'll probably fit a small piece in to bring table flush around the blade but as said … toduit list... 'mod a mod'

George.

Edited By mechman48 on 18/11/2019 19:14:30

Thread: Warco WM 250 problem?
15/11/2019 19:50:48

My 250V-F is sat on two nylon cutting boards bolted to the stand which sits on a couple of rubber mats to absorb any vibration & unevenness of the garage floor. I did have some vibration issues early on but mainly down to offset castings / other odd shapes at certain rpm. I did find that the 3 chuck mounting bolts were slack & of different weights, up to 3 grams of each other, the same with flanged mounting nuts I'd changed to from OEM provided. Some judicial grinding of each followed up with weighing ea. item & matching up resulted in noticeable improvement in the vibration scenario, so it's worth checking these out.

You may say that 3 grams isn't much but even on these 'cheapo' Chinese lathes, when you have the chuck ( 5 kg mass ) spinning anywhere 'tween 750 - 1000 rpm & you have 3 gram imbalance at one point of 360* & a 1-2 gram imbalance at say 270* it will be noticeable, ( going back to my dynamic balancing days ) so definitely check them out.

George.

Thread: Facing Cuts - Requires the Carriage to be Locked?
15/11/2019 17:15:08

I habitually lock the saddle when facing off; & especially when parting off, I also lock the compound slide when parting off having substituted one of the 4 gib screws on the compound with a locking bolt. The saddle lock is still the original SHSS & so far have not had the need to change it, may be later, for aesthetics … dont know

Compound slide lock screw...

cross slide lock mod.jpg

George

Thread: Who invented the elastic band?
15/11/2019 16:55:49

I understand the rubber comes from the rubber tree, plantation grown in Indonesia / Malaysia, & comes from the white sap that runs down cuts made in the bark & known as Gutta Perche. Seemed to have been big business from the 17th - 19th centuries during the 'Empire days' & as far as I know still comes from that area today, not implying it doesn't come from elsewhere too.

George

p.s. I thought so.

.**LINK**

Thread: Metric micrometer what t buy?
14/11/2019 18:44:46
Posted by XD 351 on 14/11/2019 18:29:58:

The solution is simple - a calculator !

I use a fractions calculator on my ipad to add up dimensions on drawings that are given in fractions then convert it to decimal which alleviates headaches !

Isn't that what a digi micrometer / vernier caliper does at a push of a button... mm -> fractions -> decimal, & vicky vercky.

George.

14/11/2019 11:52:12

I've recently bought a Kennedy metric micrometer off eBay at a reasonable price. It checks out in all aspects as far as the accuracy that I need so I wouldn't discount the 'Cheapo's ' it now resides along with my eclectic selection of mic's, M & W, Kennedy, Shardlow, Mitutoyo; the oldest being the Shardlow dual scale bought back in the days when I was an apprentice over 50 years ago, still accurate today.

My recent purchase...

**LINK**

George.

Thread: Warco WM 16 VS woes
13/11/2019 19:35:02

Sam for your att....

wm16 head assy.jpg

George.

Thread: Do all lathes make this much noise ?
13/11/2019 19:29:59

Sounds fairly quiet to me Brian. That clicking sound is probably due to the leadscrew drive gears not being set up correctly hence you have slightly more 'backlash' than necessary, try the 'paper' method to get the right amount of backlash. Without you having the gear cover open I / we can't see what the gear arrangement is. if you post a pic' of the arrangement I / we can help you set it up, it's quite easy.

… pic of my gear meshing set up using the 'paper ' method...

gear mesh (5).jpg

George.

Thread: Warco VMC Z Axis spacer
13/11/2019 17:57:35

Dave

Have mailed pdf's to you today but not sure if you've got them as mail server is playing silly buggers ' error' too much for allowance' etc. let me know what you have received & what's missing & I'll repost to you.

George.

Thread: Warco WM 16 VS woes
13/11/2019 17:50:42

p.s. Stuart posted as I was typing...

G

13/11/2019 17:49:03

DON'T Skip it ! they are not cheap to start with. I have a WM 16 of 2012 vintage; fortunately not in your situation ( not trying to sound smug honestly ) Look in the manual at the exploded 'head schematic' & you should be able to figure out how to remove the plastic gear (sacrificial, precisely why it's there ). I changed the spindle out of mine using the same schematic a couple of years ago due to a cracked MT taper, fairly easy to do. There are steel gears that can be substituted but can't recall where from at the mo'. If you don't have the manual I can mail a scan of said page to you if you PM me.

Some owners have replaced the gear system with a belt drive set up which will eliminate the problem altogether giving any 'jam ups' the opportunity for 'belt slip'. IIRC there is a USA site that has the material to do this …'Grizzly' & if I remember there was a write up to do this on their version... Grizzly 0704 I believe, have a look see. I have considered doing this mod with mine but as the old engineering cliché goes... 'if it aint broke don't fix it ' so...

George

Thread: I cannot disassemble the X axis lead screw
13/11/2019 17:23:41

Use a steel pin punch, obviously you are punching the thinner end but if the taper pin has sheared then the collar well may have rotated slightly so is out of alignment with the through hole in which case you might try drilling the pin out from both sides of the collar with appropriate size drills. If it has sheared then you need to look at why/ what caused it to shear ( no intentional granny & eggs scenario )

George

Thread: Warco WM 250 advice needed
13/11/2019 15:59:04

One of the mods I did was to get rid of the excuse for a gib strip on the compound slide; I replaced it with a brass replacement, see my album 'compound slide'. The depth & width ,on mine, were/are too deep, I think a few others commented on the same problem. Another mod was to add a compound slide locking screw in place of one of the gib adjuster screws, see same album, helps with rigidity when parting off. Also, as journeyman suggested I changed the flange nuts to smooth faced flange nuts. Re the paper exercise to set gear backlash, have a look in album 'miscellaneous' iirc for pic.

George.

Edited By mechman48 on 13/11/2019 16:16:49

13/11/2019 14:40:08

I have a WM 250V-F bought at Harrogate exhibition back in 2012, that Mick B1 says I can concur with, every thing has eased off now. As Mick says, I can switch feed from left to right without stopping so I wouldn't worry too much at the moment,let it run in for a while until you get used to it then take stock again. I'm at the end of a pm if you need any help.

George.

Thread: Warco VMC Z Axis spacer
12/11/2019 22:20:10

Dave

I have managed to download , print , scan & save the article you ask for as PDF doc' on my pc. if you pm me with your e-mail I can send them to you. same applies to other members.

George.

Thread: Yet another 'which mill shall I buy'
11/11/2019 15:43:33
Posted by Hollowpoint on 10/11/2019 22:48:16:

I use this type on my VMC. They are more than accurate enough for my needs and not expensive.

I also have these fitted to my WM 16 & so far they have proved invaluable & accurate enough for all my needs. Have just changed batteries after approx a year so battery life is not an issue with me, well worth the outlay. Usual disclaimer applies.

George.

Thread: What would you call this tool
11/11/2019 15:36:03
Posted by Brian Wood on 11/11/2019 14:38:22:

Possibly a positioning aid for precision welding

Brian

My thoughts too, also consider it to be a set up to cut / grind some form of Helix angle on the mill.

George.

Thread: S50 valve chest cover is chilled
09/11/2019 23:31:53

Another option would have been to get a small outdoor BBQ light it up & put the item in the middle & leave it sit 'till its completely cold then it should be 'annealed enough to machine ok, or if you have a log burner / coal fire throw it in that & leave overnight, same result.

George.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest