By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dusty

Here is a list of all the postings Dusty has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warco WM250
05/03/2017 20:48:22

Thanks John I told you I were an idjut.

05/03/2017 20:27:29

John Thanks for that, I only have one question, what do you mean by control box?

05/03/2017 16:50:45

Well I have now managed to complete the metal bashing part of the conversion. I must admit I have been side tracked more than I would like but that's life. The next step is wiring everything up, which I need to do so that I can complete the installation as the motor is upside down in order to fit it in, this means the junction box is inaccessible with the motor installed. I now need help, I feel confident in my ability to make the connections but I need to ensure I make the right connections. Where do I go from here.

19/02/2017 19:58:54

Hi Mark

I costed it before I started,and as you know replacement DC motor and control board £300, 3ph motor and VFD £230 I suspect I will need to purchase some bits and pieces to complete the set up but not £70 worth.

19/02/2017 16:40:41

Well the motor and VFD have arrived. I have been machining the motor mount in order that I can fit the motor to it. I am afraid that the boss stopped me as it was making too much noise, which I had to agree. I think I will screw it to a piece of MDF in an effort to stop the vibrations. For those interested the motor is a TEC, 71 frame 1hp with face mount. If the bed had been tapped then a foot mount would have worked. The VFD is an Invertek optidrive. Over the next few days I will hopefully cut and carve the sheet metal of the lathe to accept the motor. Then the fun will start connecting everything up.

14/02/2017 21:24:52

Hopefully my new motor and other gubbins will arrive tomorrow. I will however spend most of the day at Hospital arranging for my cataract operation. I hope that when done I will be able to see clearly again. I spent today taking the rest of the headstock end apart. Those naughty orientals do hide screws in funny places that are very difficult to get at. I did discover that the WM250 does not have tapped holes in the bed. A fact that I am rather glad of, having ordered a face mount motor. It looks like it may be the weekend before I am able to make any progress, due to other (family) commitments. Once I have the VFD and a wiring diagram for it I will hopefully come back for more advice.

13/02/2017 19:53:52

Whilst waiting for my new motor to arrive I have been stripping some of the parts from my lathe ready for modification. I spoke earlier about the tacho, you were right John it all seems to run from the filter, if my understanding is right I only need to connect that to power and its all systems go. If I use the existing NVR in the power lead can I connect the filter power to the out side as well as the VFD or is there a problem with that?

10/02/2017 16:24:15

Neil, I do not do complex these days. I have ordered the new motor and VFD today I have managed to get a 1hp in 71 frame size, the 80 was just to big. I have put the old motor back in so that I could take photo's. Jason you are right that is exactly the set up I have. I have a suspicion that the tooth belt may be a bastard size. I don't think Warco have any as they had memory failure over the fact that the WM250 of that time were even fitted with a tooth belt.

No more workshop today as it is rather cold and I need to move the lathe in order to get access to the back. Will need help with that as I have a slipped disc at the moment.

09/02/2017 20:53:41

Jason,

I realise that advances have been made, sometimes not for the better. My lathe's range is/was 50 to 500 and 500 to 2000. I like the new set up a lot but I feel that it is more work than I would care for. I want to use the lathe for making things not repairing itself. Looks like I may have talked myself into an article

09/02/2017 20:29:50

Just seen your posting Graeme, that looks nothing like mine.

09/02/2017 20:25:21

Been thinking, (my wife says that's dangerous when I start to think) I could take some photographs and maybe do a short article on the conversion. It appears that I might be the first to make the change and it could help others in the future. I have received a lot of help via this forum, seems like a good way of repaying.

09/02/2017 20:09:21

John Rudd, PM sent.

09/02/2017 19:44:06

In their words we've got nothing like that, that's having seen photo's of my motor. They cannot remember the toothed belt drive even. I am firmly in the 3ph vfd camp now. With a bit of angle grinding and some welding I am pretty sure that I can get a 71 frame size motor in. Not quite a simple as replacing with a DC motor but an extra 3/4 hrs work. I will worry about the tacho once the motor is in. Having looked at the set up both the 5 core flat cable from the display and the 3 core from the sensor go to the filter, it will be a case of sorting out what bits I need and getting rid of the rest (I hope)

09/02/2017 12:09:17

Mark, let me know how you get on with the fitting. I am coming to the conclusion that you may have chosen the right route. Due to the way the lathe is constructed and the physical size of a 80 frame size motor it is nigh on impossible to fit the motor without a major redesigning and rebuild of the headstock end where the motor is mounted. There is roughly 3" difference in dia of the two motors on top of which the 3ph motor has a ruddy great junction box on top which is in the way of everything, even turning the motor upside down will not work because it then fouls the drip tray.

If anyone has done this conversion and has a simple way of doing it I would be pleased to hear from them.

08/02/2017 12:22:26

Thanks Les, a bit of muddled thinking on my part re phases. The diagram that Michael posted did originate from me so it is my manuals diagram. I can see your point re torque. This is a steep learning curve for me and I am getting too old for all this. But it does keep the old grey matter working.

08/02/2017 11:50:11

Am I right in thinking that if I go from a 1hp single phase DC motor to a 3ph I can reduce to a 3/4hp motor?

08/02/2017 11:41:38

John as you know I am a complete idiot as regards electrikery, does the tacho not need a power supply of 12 volts or something? With a VFD I would not have that, probably missing something again.

08/02/2017 10:09:30

I am loathe to go down that route Mark as I do not know what caused my motor to burn out. I am still weighing up my options. I can see advantages and disadvantages to both. If I go down the 3ph VFD route it will be slightly more work to fit and I loose the Tacho for spindle speed, but I end up with a better system. Replacing the motor with the one from Warco I suppose I should replace the speed control board as well the cost then comes out at about the same.

07/02/2017 16:57:27

Thanks John I am relieved that my ability to make fairly simple calculations has not been lost. I have been looking at 3ph VFD set ups and as you say it would require fairly extensive re-modelling of the drive train to get a comparable speed range,

07/02/2017 15:27:48

Have any of you got the WM250 which for the primary drive has a toothed belt? Further does anyone know what speed the motor spins at on top speed. Either my maths are hopeless or the motor is very strange. The primary drive via the toothed belt is from 13 tooth to a 39 tooth simples 3 to 1 then from a 2.8dia to 3.75dia V belt gives a ratio of around 1.3 to 1 therefore if the lathe is running at 2000rpm the motor is running at 4500 give or take. or have I got it all wrong? Whoops need to reverse the size of the pulleys..

Edited By Dusty on 07/02/2017 15:31:50

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest