By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dusty

Here is a list of all the postings Dusty has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Encouraging new hobbyists
27/03/2017 10:14:30

Neil

Thank you for the info re disclosure. I , along with the rest of the team do have disclosure certificates as we do have regular and unsupervised contact. I suspect, that what we were told, when we started this project, has been distorted a little and it is assumed that any contact requires the check.

26/03/2017 19:57:25

There are a number of points raised in the posts that I would like to cover.

Like most Clubs my own suffers from lack of young recruits. It is apparent that to get new members especially the very young (teenagers) is difficult. There are many calls on prospective members and those that have recently joined, and as has been pointed out finance is one of the largest. Youngsters find the opposite sex more appealing than pulling bits of swarf from their fingers. I know as I had a break of about 10yrs from my late teens until I was about 30.

I, along with some of my colleagues have been working with a local School, with a view to encourage students to look at engineering as a career It is only in the last couple of months that the teaching staff have come to realize what we have to offer and can help with projects to enhance the syllabus. We looked at The Great Egg Race as a project, and when this was shown to the teachers they saw that it dovetailed into the syllabus.

A word of warning. It has been mentioned inviting youngsters into your workshop. Do not do this unless you have a CRB disclosure certificate, you could be breaking the law. I forgot to mention the School we help at is an all girls school, even so we always make sure that there are always two of us with the students.

We have found that some of the girls have responded well to some simple model making, whilst others find the process boring. Try going to your local Secondary School and speak with one of the STEM( Science Technology Engineering and Maths) teachers and offer your services. I would point out tat you need about a dozen of you to even contemplate this. This is due to Doctors, Hospital appointments and illness due to our age plus a variety of other reasons.

Thread: Warco WM250
22/03/2017 16:56:46

I don't believe it, restored the connections and the bloody thing runs the right way, why? it does not make sense, I am convinced that when I first got it to run it was running in the right direction. I think I might still have that large one.

22/03/2017 16:48:08

I feel a very large whisky coming on. I will try as you suggest You may hear the screams from where you are if it will not work.

22/03/2017 16:41:11

No John I only swapped at one end and it was W and V would that make any difference?

22/03/2017 16:26:39

Having been fiddling about on other things that the boss said I needed to do I have just got back into the workshop to hopefully finish this installation. Lo and behold the motor is running the wrong way. I have to admit that I had not noticed this before, so I thought I know how to fix this just reverse two of the wires connecting VFD to motor, wrong it still runs the wrong way. What is the next step?.

Thread: B&S No:2 Surface Grinder Overhaul Questions
16/03/2017 20:20:17

One thing when your restoration is completed don't forget to grind the mag chuck, you will be amazed at the number of people who do not and then complain it will not grind parallel

16/03/2017 18:17:59

Try removing the rack and/or pinion, so the bed is not influenced by it. Then place the bed onto the machine and push it up and down by hand, you should be able to find if it is the bed/table that is binding or the rack and pinion that is causing the problem, which is what I suspect. Make sure you do not get any grinding dust on the ways, if you do oil should not go anywhere near it until you have removed any dust, use paper towelling wipe and throw, rag should not be used

Thread: Reamer Identification
16/03/2017 16:42:57

John

I fear that 14thou interference fit on .250 would require the services of a 100 ton press .0014 would be nearer the mark is that what you meant.

Thread: Warco WM250
16/03/2017 13:34:08

I have looked at the instruction manual for the VFD and if I am right by setting P12 to 2 I should be able to reverse from the keypad, if I ever needed to and I think remote (pot) should still work, I hope.

15/03/2017 19:35:46

Having given this some thought today I have decided; The inverter will be fixed to the wall slightly to the left of the headstock, out of the way of swarf and cutting fluids, I am able to reach it without any problem.

I am quite relaxed about not reversing, I cannot remember the last time I needed to.

Now for the interesting bit; I would like to use the original 'filter' to power the digital speed readout and reader. This has the sockets to plug both sets of connections in place on the PCB. I would like to utilise the NVR switch (shown on P3 of this post) This would give me emergency stop should it ever be required. My thoughts are to bring the mains cable in through the back of the control box to the switch, and then back out to the VFD. I would then take a connection from the switch side to the 'filter' to power that. This would then give the power to the speed display.

The speed pot I wish to leave on the front of the lathe as being the most convenient place. Have I taken a wrong turning somewhere?

14/03/2017 16:33:48

Hallelujah, hallelujah, I am this evening meeting some former companions of my toil (workmates) usually it is a couple of pints put the world to rights and go home, tonight I will have something to celebrate.

It worked just as you said John. Brilliant Oh and yes it is connected delta.

14/03/2017 16:01:21

Been thinking, I know that can be dangerous, but could having the link between 1 and 2 rather than a switch be causing a safety feature to cut in and prevent the drive starting?

14/03/2017 15:26:59

John,

Reset, checked the link and all O.K. p12 and p15 both show 0. Could it be that I have a defective drive?

14/03/2017 14:28:32

John

With your greater wisdom, would a factory reset help. My thinking is that if I perform that, we would, or should know that the VFD is set to factory default or is that too simple?

13/03/2017 16:17:10

Talk about making you look a liar. Back home, I have never been so quick at Moorefields normally 2hrs today out inside 30mins. John is there anything I can be looking at that might help?

13/03/2017 11:41:57

Thanks John, I am afraid it is an ongoing problem that has be exacerbated by cataracts. Today is a check up, which by the time I get there and have my examination I loose about 5hrs. Not much fun this getting old lark, but must not complain, the wooden overcoat is not an option I want just yet.

13/03/2017 11:30:47

Yes John, I did manage to find it and checked and it does read 0. I am struggling a bit at the moment with eye problems. I have an appointment at Moorefields Eye Hospital this afternoon, so if I do not reply to you that is why.

13/03/2017 10:35:29

John, I have checked and p12 shows 0 but I do not have p15 I stop at 14. My error code I have discovered is quite normal when you turn the thing off. Found p15 and that shows 0. Good job I did not open my bottle of good red wine yesterday. This is becoming very frustrating.

Edited By Dusty on 13/03/2017 10:57:44

12/03/2017 16:13:56

Turn on and it shows 'stop', press 'go' button = nothing. Pressing stop button only shows cycles, amps, rpm etc but as the motor is not running it is of no relevance. Turn the whole thing off at the socket and it shows stop after a few seconds U-uol E flashes on for a second before shutting down.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest