By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dusty

Here is a list of all the postings Dusty has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warco WM250
06/04/2017 12:05:14

O.K. I give in, I have tried to understand but I suspect I am looking but not seeing the correct settings.. It cannot be that complicated, can it? I would like to be able to sort this out before moving the lathe back into position and setting it up. I am looking forward to being able to move about in the workshop and get on with projects.

Thread: Machining a Washer - Procedure
04/04/2017 10:01:03

Sounds like a faceplate job to me. You have four corners to clamp it by and providing the 4mm plate is flat it should be good enough. If it is just a washer, then I am sure a few thou shy on the dia will not matter. Set up on the faceplate, you will need to make sure it is accurately centered, hack out the middle, and bore to size. Saw the corners off and as much waste as you can. Ideally a four jaw self centering chuck can be used to turn the O.D.

03/04/2017 15:10:24

Thanks John, I will get it all back together over the next day or so and look at the instructions to see if I can work it out for myself, if not can I come back to you for further instruction.

For those of you that may have been reading this, I hope you have been paying attention. I will in the next couple of weeks put together an article for possible publication.

Can I thank John and les for all the help they have given me, without their help I think I may have turned into an alcoholic wreck, many thanks gents.

03/04/2017 14:55:11

John, Les,

Yee ha, it worked, we now have a working readout. I have tried it with VFD connected and it reads increases and decreases in speed. All that now remains is to put everything back in place, I will then be ready to set the speed control pot up, just one question John, you told me the ground on the pot is the left hand terminal, is that with the terminals at the top or bottom as rotating it 180deg alters which is left and right.

03/04/2017 11:08:03

Les

I think you are talking about the connector that is next to the live output from the board, on the right as you look at it.

02/04/2017 19:22:15

Les,

I have, after John pointed me in the right direction connected the VFD from the live output side of the board. How I wish I had photographed it all before I committed criminal damage to the set up. I did not think I would need any of the electric gubbins from the lathe in the new set up, oh how wrong can you be.

For information; Mains in goes to NVR switch, then the out goes to the filter board where in turn the VFD is connected to the out side of the board. Hope that makes sense. I have to admit I had wondered what the gash connecter was for

02/04/2017 15:56:09

John,

I have removed the board and photographed it, as far as I can see there is nothing untoward showing. the ribbon cable appears to be O.K. without any obvious breaks in it.

dsc_0098.jpg

31/03/2017 19:29:28

I will check John, but I don't think they will go in the wrong way as there is a plastic guide that sits behind the pins, this locates into a pair of guides on the plug. I will check though.

31/03/2017 17:03:11

John

Questions I can answer The 5 core is white and each of the cores has either dots or dashes in red, most helpful, that is unless you know different. The speed pick up has 3 wires. I will not be able to strip the board from the lathe until Sunday when I will photograph it.

31/03/2017 16:00:07

John

Did the test on the display end of the ribbon and nothing. Upon examination I found that there were only four pins on the connector on the display, the centre one was missing. I did check to see if it was broken off inside the plug, but no. I suspect this should be in place, otherwise why have a 5 core ribbon. What are your feelings? Having taken the display apart I can see that there never was a centre pin, solder is evident on the two sets of outer pins but nothing in the centre. I will remove the 'filter' from the lathe before doing any more tests as this will be safer as I will be able to see what I am doing.

Edited By Dusty on 31/03/2017 16:22:39

30/03/2017 16:15:46

No It is dead. As the whole set up is wired through the filter board I would venture to suggest that power is present. I do have a multimeter, but as you know I do not have much of a clue as to how to use it.

30/03/2017 15:24:58

Well, I have not been banned but told to "get out from under my feet" The wiring was altered and everything seemed O.K. except the speed display still does not work. I have checked all the connections and they seem as if they are fine. All was working prior to me pulling everything apart.

30/03/2017 10:47:56

Thanks John

As it is my wedding anniversary today I will probably be banned from the workshop, but it should not take long to alter the wiring when I get out there.

30/03/2017 09:32:31

dsc_0091.jpgdsc_0089.jpgJohn, as requested filer board photo's. I am under the impression that the terminals you are talking about ( right hand side) are D.C. as the old motor was D.C.

29/03/2017 14:41:10

Dead, totally lifeless.

29/03/2017 14:09:44

Les, Yes all connected.

29/03/2017 12:23:40

It has taken a while to get everything connected, after some minor mods to the lathe while it's in bits. I now have a lathe that runs and the spindle turns. I connected the 'filter' into the circuit as this powers the speed readout. The filter as I understand it changes AC into DC well it did in the original power set up. It does not work. Do I need to complete the circuit on the output side to make it work? I would like to get this part sorted out before going on to programme the pot.

Thread: Encouraging new hobbyists
27/03/2017 10:14:30

Neil

Thank you for the info re disclosure. I , along with the rest of the team do have disclosure certificates as we do have regular and unsupervised contact. I suspect, that what we were told, when we started this project, has been distorted a little and it is assumed that any contact requires the check.

26/03/2017 19:57:25

There are a number of points raised in the posts that I would like to cover.

Like most Clubs my own suffers from lack of young recruits. It is apparent that to get new members especially the very young (teenagers) is difficult. There are many calls on prospective members and those that have recently joined, and as has been pointed out finance is one of the largest. Youngsters find the opposite sex more appealing than pulling bits of swarf from their fingers. I know as I had a break of about 10yrs from my late teens until I was about 30.

I, along with some of my colleagues have been working with a local School, with a view to encourage students to look at engineering as a career It is only in the last couple of months that the teaching staff have come to realize what we have to offer and can help with projects to enhance the syllabus. We looked at The Great Egg Race as a project, and when this was shown to the teachers they saw that it dovetailed into the syllabus.

A word of warning. It has been mentioned inviting youngsters into your workshop. Do not do this unless you have a CRB disclosure certificate, you could be breaking the law. I forgot to mention the School we help at is an all girls school, even so we always make sure that there are always two of us with the students.

We have found that some of the girls have responded well to some simple model making, whilst others find the process boring. Try going to your local Secondary School and speak with one of the STEM( Science Technology Engineering and Maths) teachers and offer your services. I would point out tat you need about a dozen of you to even contemplate this. This is due to Doctors, Hospital appointments and illness due to our age plus a variety of other reasons.

22/03/2017 16:56:46

I don't believe it, restored the connections and the bloody thing runs the right way, why? it does not make sense, I am convinced that when I first got it to run it was running in the right direction. I think I might still have that large one.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest