By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dusty

Here is a list of all the postings Dusty has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: cutting BMS, filing edges of cut BMS
30/04/2011 18:06:36
Tip of the day. I make no claim as to this being mine, it was in fact passed on to me by my Grandfather more years ago than I care to remember.
When sawing (this applies to whatever material you are sawing) repeat this little rhyme
"Hold on tightly, press on lightly", this will give you three complete strokes of the saw.. This will give you a good rythmn for sawing and remind you of what you are supposed to be doing. Sawing faster may seem like a good idea, but all you will acheive is knackering yourself. Use the full length of the blade, it has teeth all the way along, use them.
As to files, I like to use a file that is slightly convex for roughing down as you are not cutting over the full width of material.
Vice jaws, a good way of protecting your work is to use a couple of pieces of 16g ali which you bend over the jaws. The other alternative is as a lot of toolmakers do.,discard the hard serated jaws and make up a set of mild steel ones. Do not throw away the serated jaws as they do have their uses.
Thread: Steam Boat Ban
29/04/2011 16:36:05
Ian
Please, please, please do not suggest that all our boilers should have an independant (by which I think you mean professional) inspection. It took many hours of negotiation by the M.E. federations to convince the H.S.E that we have a robust inspection facility within our clubs and boilers are tested according to the appropriate federations minimum requirements before a test certificate is issued. These certificates are not open ended but require re-testing at laid down periods. If a re-test is missed it invalidates the certificate and that boiler/locomotive/traction engine cannot be used.
The boiler must be inspected by the Club boiler inspector during construction.
It is on completion hydraulicly tested to twice designed working pressure, it then undergoes a steam test to ensure safety valves etc work properly, then and only then is the certificate issued.
The steam test is repeated anually and the hydraulic test every four years.
This is acceptable to both H.S.E. and Insurance Co's. But it appears not to you!
You are not a boiler inspector are you?
Thread: Bought a mill to go with the lathe
27/04/2011 10:04:33
Nick
£200-00 of Model Engineering tokens! I nearly had a heart attack when I read that. Maybe stretch to £20-00 but I would need guaranteed results.
Thread: WM280VF Fixed steady
27/04/2011 09:00:28
Martin
It is not clear from your post if you are looking for a spare to modify or you do not have a fixed steady at all. The lathe when supplied should have had a fixed steady with it. In any event , a first point of call should be Warco themselves.
I should be a simple job to make new fingers for the steady and incorporate a small ball or roller race. Ideally this race should be supported on either side by the new fingers,i.e. forked ends. If the loading is light you could get away with fixing the race to one side of the finger.
Thread: brass wire mesh in 1mm weave
26/04/2011 20:24:42
Hi Clive
Try Squires Tools Bogonor Regis. It's the sort of thing they stock.
Thread: MiniMill Table Accuracy
20/04/2011 16:47:42
Peter
remember to check both x and y axes, as you will no doubt realize slackness in one can effect the other. A good test is to remove the leadscrew and try pushing the table up and down the machine. If you can push it without any effort it is too slack. You should feel some resistance.
Thread: Stainless Steel
20/04/2011 09:22:50
O.K. Here we go, this is the way I would tackle it. In fact two contributors have suggested the answer. I have only combined the two.
First I would use 'oilcans' method with the difference that I would cut two pieces of 1/4" thick mild steel at an angle of say 60 deg, sandwich the metal to be bent between them. This needs to be with the straight portion of the bar aligned with the top edge of the plough share so that the angle crosses the share blade, the tip of the angle probably needs to be 1 1/2" to 2" up from the base. The reason for this is that the 1.5mm plate will want to turn about its own centre line. By the way make sure you clamp the tips of the angle with toolmakers clamps. Then bend away, you will probably need to bend through 100 deg as the material will want to spring back, in stainless this will be even worse.
Now MGJ suggests a hard wood former, having got the basic shape, with the hardwood former and a few taps with a hammer you should have something which looks like your plough share. These should all look the same. There will need to be a bit of trial and error and as MGJ says have a go with some alli.
Best of luck, please let us know how you get on.

Edited By Dusty on 20/04/2011 09:23:59

19/04/2011 20:32:07
David
What your post does not say is that you require 6 of these plus another 6 of the oposite hand. Do they need to be made of stainless? Stainless steel is not the most forgiving of materials, a better bet would be Mild Steel sheet. I see from your sketch that the height is 1 3/4". From this, are we to take it that the 3" width you quote is the developed size? or are you trying to bend material that is later going to be cut away? Can you provide us with a sketch of the front elevation which may help us to help you.
Thread: Machining lugs
18/04/2011 20:25:31
Richard, with great difficulty with the equipment you appear to have. I would turn the dia of the bar to size and then on the milling machine cut a keyway into the bar to whatever length and width you require. Now make up a key to fit the keyway, this can be fixed into the keyway with socket head cap screws (allen screws) with the heads lost in the key.
Thread: Technical and engineering drawing.
18/04/2011 20:06:42
I fear that Terry is preaching to the converted, on this Forum. I would applaud any attempt at teaching us all, as I know we would all learn something from such an excercise. If it only improves the quality of drawings sent to David for publication it would be worthwhile. I like Steve Garnett am hacked of with drawings with multiple datums or datums in the middle of nowhere and you have to go back through 7 or 8 dimensions to find where they originated. I think everyone should be capable of producing a reasonable engineering drawing before they indulge in 'Satans Tool' I mean CAD.
Thread: Identifying Silver Solder
04/04/2011 08:58:23
Hi John
C4 is a 24% silver alloy which melts 740/780 centigrade and yes, it will appear quite brassy. The other silver solder is an unknown and should be treated as such. By all means use it for prefabing parts but it should not be used for constructing boilers. If you are making a boiler all the components should, including the solder should be of known quality and type. In industry you would need every item to have a traceable origin and the material certified. Silver solders vary in their composition and some should not be used on boilers. The other bunch of solder is probably 42% silver alloy(easyflo type) this would account for its silvery look but it is no good guessing. Some others who are far more knowledgable than me may have different views. But I still stick to my view' do not use it on a boiler!'
Thread: Piston ring
25/03/2011 17:39:57
Hi all
Remove the rings from the piston and insert them into the cylinder bore. If there is no gap or you cannot insert them then they will need re-gapping, if the gap is O.K. then they will probably just need running in, or you have problems with the depth of the ring groove.
Thread: t.i.r.?
23/03/2011 17:28:52
Hi
It stands for 'total indicator reading' The indicator being a clock,dial gauge or whatever you know it as. Total reading is twice the runout i.e if the reading is .002" then your runout is .001". We all come across these things from time to time when we do not know what the term really means. I was allways told if you don't know ask, it is no good guessing.
Thread: Travelling Steady.
11/03/2011 20:08:19
mgj
I am sorry but you will never convince me in a million years that your way is right . I understand about the forces involved and where you are coming from, but as a practical engineer with over 50yrs experience which includes toolmaking and building special purpose machinery, I am afraid we must agree to disagree.
10/03/2011 20:09:12
mgj
Oh dear, you have missed the point I was making. The travelling steady is to prevent the workpiece deflecting whilst machining long items, the fingers should allways lead the tool. it is immaterial what happens to the workpiece after the tool has passed. It is not possible to stradle the cut when screwcutting, as the burr thrown up by the tool will cut a helix in the fingers equal to the pitch of thread being cut. This helix will grow in width as the screwcutting progresses. If you are screwcutting with a travelling steady the fingers must lead the tool and the burr thrown up by the tool must be removed on every pass. We are not talking about optimum support we are talking about practical application. When talking about leading the tool I would use about 1cm, this gives room to view what is happening with the cut and gives reasonable support.
09/03/2011 09:16:55
Hi Geoff,
If you are going to parallel turn with a travelling steady then the fingers must lead the tool for the following reasons.
a. It is almost impossible to set the fingers to trail the tool
b. If set to line up with the tool the burr thrown up by the tool will tear the fingers to pieces and make them useless. The same applies to screwcutting.
I think Terry's idea of a spacer is the most practical.
I wish you luck.
Thread: Bending Mild Steel Flat bar
08/03/2011 15:39:00
As a matter of interest, if one were to put some temporary "soft jaws" (aluminium for example) in the vice and then clamp the piece before heating, would this help alleviate the vice as a heat sink problem?

Intrigued, A

I think you will find that aluminium is a better conductor than Steel

Thread: Travelling Steady.
08/03/2011 10:02:49
Geoff
Could you post a photograph of your setup, I am afraid I cannot envisage why the tool is that far in front of the steady. Convention says that the fingers should be slightly in front of the tool i.e. closer to the chuck.
Thread: A glossary of ME terms
07/03/2011 09:17:18
Sorry KWIL
Some things you just take for granted and forget to mention them. But yes covering the bed is a must when polishing in the lathe. I use a J-cloth soaked in oil so the particles stick to it.
06/03/2011 20:51:19
Remember when polishing with abrasive cloth and paper, each change of grade must be at right angles to the previous grade. What you should see is the scratches caused by the previous polishing at right angles to your efforts. When you can no longer see any scratches that is the time to change to a finer grade of cloth/paper. Again at right angles to the way you were working. Polishing round objects is a bit problematic, if you are just polishing and not concerned with maintaining a dimension then just keep the cloth on the move vigorously with the lathe running fairly slow, do not be tempted to dwell as you will polish grooves into the workpiece, you should end up with a figure of eight look to the surface. Change of cloth reverse the lathe. Do not be tempted to start with too coarse a grade of cloth, if it is not coarse enough you will soon see. When polishing do not back the cloth with a file, one slip and you will spend ages removing the file mark. A piece of wood 3/4" wide x 5/16" thick and 10" long, shape the end like a cold chisel, take your cloth and tear it twice the width of your wood, double it over lengthwise and place it over the wood so that one side of the abrasive is against the wood fold the end over the wood so that you have about 2" you can hold onto. Then start polishing with one of the chisel edges. When the cloth becomes clogged move it to a fresh place.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest