By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dusty

Here is a list of all the postings Dusty has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mill plus power-feed circuit protection
31/05/2013 09:24:58

I have both motor and power feed fed through the on/off switch. This means that unless the spindle is running you cannot turn on the power feed, conversly if for any reason the power to the spindle motor fails it cuts power to the feed. Simples.

Thread: I think my dividing head makers needs....
13/05/2013 14:50:53

I don't think it matters if it is a rotary table or an all singing all dancing dividing head. If it was sold as a unit with all parts compatable. It must fall into being 'not fit for purpose' if part of the set up is defective.The plates must fit and be usable on the dividing head/rotary table without modification.

13/05/2013 11:22:57

The bottom line is that under 'The Sale of Goods Act 1979' the dividing head as supplied is or appears to be 'not fit for purpose'. It is the suppliers resposibilty to either refund the purchase price including any carriage costs or replace it. I would back up my e-mail with a telephone call where you can get someones name. It is suprising that when you have a name they tend to look at these problems much better. Don't forget it is not your responsibility to pay for return carriage if an item is defective.

Thread: Is this forum usage more MEW than ME?
08/05/2013 08:43:24

The only thing I would add to this discussion is that "it matters not one jot what magazine you read or where your interests lay, but is the forum informative, do you learn from it, do you enjoy it" I have kicked around engineering for over 50yrs and I still find snippits on this forum that educate me.

Thread: Brass Hornblocks
25/04/2013 08:47:59

I think some of the problem is that Fizzy is talking about hornblocks and axleboxes in the same sentence, it is not clear what he means. I know that some people refer to axleboxes as hornblocks and call the horns exactly that. If it is the horns themselves I would go for a mild steel fabrication. But as Michael said Brass is really a no no.

Thread: ER Collet chuck or normal Morse Taper Collets
21/04/2013 19:31:07

Andy

As in all things to a certain extent you gets what you pays for. Some years ago I purchased a set of Vertex ER32 collets along with a collet chuck for the milling machine to take them, I also bought an adapter for my lathe which I took great care to fit properly. I have not been disapointed. I am unable to comment on any other make as I have no experience of them. It generally pays to buy the best you can afford comensurate with the use you think they will get. Personally I would opt for a standard collet chuck for your mill along with a few collets to take standard endmills/slotdrills. i.e Clarkson / Osborne Titanic or one of the far eastern varieties, it's what I use most of the time. You can then take your time over the choice of ER32 outfit

Thread: machining pulleys for vee belts
05/04/2013 09:11:59

Slotdriller

A couple of points which might help if you go down the form tool road.

1. Reduce the overhang of the topslide

2. Make a leg for the tool, by this I mean a piece of 3mm plate the width of the tool, at the front end a length of say 3/8 sq welded or brazed to this at right angles so that the bottom contacts the cross slide when the tool is at centre height with the tool sat on the 3mm plate.

3. lock everything solid or as far as possible.

4. For finishing you can pull the mandrel round by hand. You can only take a scrape doing this but it will provide a chatter free finish within limits.

Hope this helps.

Thread: New miller
30/03/2013 08:52:27

I know I am a pedantic old so and so but, a Miller is a person who operates a Milling machine.

Thread: Work-holding / clamping for silver-soldering
02/03/2013 09:23:43

Yes Jeff, 'Celcon building blocks' also know as thermalite or used to be. Cheap as chips and when as Stub Mandrel say's they have degraded throw em away or use bits of them to help support the items being silver soldered.

Thread: Refurbishing a Surface Plate?
28/02/2013 20:44:15

Hi Andrew

Yes a lick with a surface grinder will produce a useable surface plate, however because of the way surface plates are made it needs to be clamped to the table of the grinder, it cannot be pulled down on a magnetic chuck due to the three small feet on which it sits (the mag chuck would not have enough area to hold it down) Thus it will not be cheap. Scraping is probably a non starter as you will need two more surface plates and the three would then need to be scraped together. I am afraid you are between a rock and a hard place,unless you have a friendly local engineering Co. I wish you luck

Thread: Work-holding / clamping for silver-soldering
28/02/2013 19:52:28

A Celcon block and a few nails/panel pins also works. Try not to place the joint directly on the block though as the flux glues the item to the block. I have used it many times and it works a treat, but as others have said sometimes it pays to locate parts with pins screws etc.

Thread: Choice of mechanical lubricator
24/02/2013 20:35:20

Just a word of warning! When you decide what type of lubricator to make you have to decide if it is a single or double. If your oil feed is by means of one pipe into a header or similar the a single pump is fine, but if your feed is to two places i.e. valve chests then you will need a twin pump. The reason is that it is virtually impossible to get two delivery valves to open at the same pressure. Oil like any other substance will find the line of least resistance and go through the delivery valve that is weakest, the other cylinder will get none. It may seem a lot of work making a second pump but beleive me the time is nothing comared to the time spent faffing about over the years trying to get your oil feed right. You will end up making a twin pump anyway.

Thread: eBAY - Shill Bidding
13/02/2013 11:26:50

Andyf

If you click on 'show automatic bids' it will become clear how the situation you quote arose.

Andyf  sorry I was a bit slow you have discovered what I was telling you.

Edited By Dusty on 13/02/2013 11:28:24

Edited By Dusty on 13/02/2013 11:29:01

Thread: when is a precision vice not a precision vice>?
25/01/2013 20:28:09

I have watched this thread unravel, the point that appears to be foremost is the fact that people have an unrealistic expectation of the quality and precision of the item they are buying. It would be unrealistic to pay for a Trabant and expect to get a Rolls Royce. Quality and precision cost, if you pay several hundred pounds for a vice and it is rubbish, then you send it back, but if you spend a few pounds on it and it is rubbish so be it. In this life you get what you pay for, use common sense when reading descriptions of an items quality, you may be lucky but don't bank on it.

Thread: Black hole
07/01/2013 12:16:34

I have found that these Gremlins are person specific, by which I mean that if you are looking for something they have hidden, invite a friend round, He/She will find it instantly. My wife is not good at this, she refuses to step into what she calls The Death trap, which I call a workshop.

Edited By Dusty on 07/01/2013 12:16:58

Thread: ALIGN POWER FEED SPARES
02/01/2013 19:11:56

Hi Windy

Have tried the link,it will not work for me. I to need the little yellow or in my case orange covers for the rapid traverse button.

Thread: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
01/01/2013 20:52:33

I have a workshop Gremlin it has a habit of creeping out while I am otherwise occupied and moving and hiding things, I have blocked all gaps, even fitted kickboards (removable) under the bench. It has all been to no avail. I even went to the extreme of tidying the bench, it did improve things for a while but but the little so and so has overcome even that. I wouldn't mind but she (she must be a she) hides things and then puts them back where I had originally put them. I don't know what the answer is!

Thread: Cannon patterns, and Barrell castings
04/12/2012 20:48:28

If you are going to make a minature firearm, because that is what any form of artillery piece is, you must make yourself aware of the provisions of The Firearms Act. I am not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but you must be aware of what you can and cannot do in respect of modelling guns, of any kind. Basically if it is capable of discharging any missile or capable of conversion so that it can you are in breach of the law. You don't want Mr Plod knocking on your door. A working model Gatling gun that fires is an absolute no no. Having been involved in shooting over many years I have some knowledge, but I am sure there will be someone on this forum who has better knowledge than me.

Thread: Blued Steel Sheet
28/11/2012 21:02:41

Traditionally cladding was made from Swedish Iron, for small steam engines. This is a form of wrought iron. Stuart engines used to use this I beleive, if my memory serves me correct. I am not aware if it is available these days. If it is, I am sure someone on this forum will know and where to obtain it. Failing that I would go with the blueing of shim as described.

Thread: Flood Preparation
27/11/2012 10:40:19

Hi Neil, it sounds like you may have compensation coming your way. I would be hammering on my Solicitors door as soon as possible. Take photographs of any flooding for evidential purposes. i would venture to suggest that even if previous flood waters did not reach the house but did reach the property then you have been given an untrue statement, this could invalidate the contract of sale.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest