By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Evans

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Evans has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Denford Viceroy 280 motor and inverter
15/02/2019 22:33:11

Pete - do you mean removing the variable pulley (which is attached to the motor) or the other fixed pulley or both? The belt is currently a 28 mm wide toothed belt - like a timing belt, not sure if that is need or I could use something else.

I took the motor and variable speed mechanism off today - it was a big job really. I have decided the wiring is too dodgy. I can't use the variable speed pulley anyway without the full VS mechanism. I now have to choose the best motor frame size to buy, work out how to fix a pulley onto the motor shaft and then what belt to use.

Thread: KX1 CNC Mill Clearance Offer
15/02/2019 22:18:51

I am an existing KX3 owner - great piece of kit.

Thread: Boxford machinery auction
14/02/2019 17:23:27
Agreed Dave. I think most people would agree that this current government can't deliver that, nor the current opposition.
14/02/2019 17:20:48
"our Commonwealth countries" 😀
14/02/2019 17:12:58
Not sure why you are getting upset, I'm simply suggesting a reason why Boxford are moving.

As far as business, particularly manufacturing business, goes we know very well what will happen because those businesses have told us - very clearly and for years. They are planning to downsize, move away or have already started moving away. Not sure why you think that is controversial.
14/02/2019 13:45:34

Moving manufacturing abroad makes sense with Brexit. If car makers are planning to do it after investing billions on UK production lines then moving manufacturing of something relatively simple probably makes even more sense.

Shame for any workers losing jobs.

Thread: Denford Viceroy 280 motor and inverter
14/02/2019 13:37:42

Thanks all - I will take a look at the size of the motor as soon as I can. I would certainly like to reduce noise and vibration - that's the biggest drawback to what is otherwise a well made lathe.

14/02/2019 09:04:52

Has anyone on here got experience with fitting a new 3 phase motor and inverter package to a Denford Viceroy 280VS - or similar - lathe?

Mine has been converted to a single phase motor years ago with the original control box on top of the lathe gutted and replaced with new wiring and switches.

Yesterday I was doing some threading, running the motor forward and back repeatedly with the half-nuts closed and it stopped running and the motor just made a buzzing noise. I took the front of the control box to check if I hadn't burned out contacts on the reversing switch and it looks like a bit of a bodge with 2 loose wires.

Anyway, I want to go the whole hog and get a new motor run off an inverter with a remote control unit mounted on top of the lathe where the current control box is. I reckon this will give me a nicer way to change speeds and do away with dodgy wiring.

Ideally I want something that is as 'plug and play' as possible. I believe its a 1.5hp / 1.1 Kw motor. Any recommendations on suppliers and how to proceed would be most welcome. Andy

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
06/01/2019 08:33:18
Thanks David - appreciated
05/01/2019 11:57:03
A quick question for David. Are the files created with Atom 3D fully compatible with Alibre Design? I may want to upgrade in the future. And what is the compatibility like with other 3D CAD packages?
02/01/2019 09:38:45

An update on my progress with modelling the pipes in multiple planes. I have got there in the end and am pleased with the results although it has taken a while. Thanks for the advice.

The sweep tool makes sense when you realise how it works, you just have to get your head around creating planes at the correct angles and locations and then sketching the sweep path on those planes. Some of what I wanted to do would have been easier with the 3D sketch function which is not available in this version.

In terms of using David Jupp's suggestion of creating solids purely as basis for paths and edges of other solids and then deleting or suppressing them - that makes total sense and is a great idea but I found does not quite work in practice. Once you delete or suppress a solid anything based on it then becomes invalid in the model (the software needs a feature to allow this in some way - suppressing a solid should just hide it surely but the way it works is that it has the same effect as deleting it but you can undelete at a later point). The way i got around this was to cut away at the 'guide solid' so it only existed within the existing solid and so is not visible - if that makes any sense - but it was a lot of work.

I did have a few issues, which I consider bugs in the software. e.g. the fillet tool stopped working and gave a popup error each time I used it. It was cured by closing all instances of Alibre and restarting.

Some things I found could be simpler. I was basing my model on an original drawing which has dimensions on the projected front view, side view etc - e.g. overall height of the part as viewed from the front. I wanted to check these dimensions in Alibre matched to ensure I had modelled it correctly. The only way i found to do that was to create the drawings from the finished model and then create dimensions in the drawing. If I made a mistake I had to go back to the model, fix it and then regenerate the drawing and remeasure. Maybe there is a simple way to get dimensions in the model itself such as overall height in the XY plane etc?

Overall I really like Alibre Atom3D and it seems great value for such a powerful package.

23/12/2018 09:24:11
Thanks for getting back. My plan then is to create planes at different angles to X, Y,Z and sketch circles then join them with the sweep tool. What would be the best way to create new planes at the right angles? Thanks in advance
22/12/2018 21:50:52

I am trying to model pipework with bends and twists (not always at right angles). It seems like I should be using the 3D sketching feature and then Sweep but 3D sketching is greyed out - is it available in Atom?

Thanks in advance. Andy

Thread: How does solder stick ?
08/12/2018 21:47:55

Was it?

Thread: Getting priorities right
08/12/2018 21:46:40

Maybe smoking is the only thing she enjoys?

Maybe you could be put in charge of what people are allowed to do. What would be on your list of things a poor person couldn't do - smoke, drink and have children obviously. Could they have a TV? Probably only up to a certain size or else it would be "a massive TV".

Thread: Sealer for bare steel.
08/12/2018 21:09:16

Dynax S50 is good stuff but it leaves a visible waxy coating.

Thread: How does solder stick ?
08/12/2018 21:02:41

Maybe Richard Feyneman can help here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0r930Sn_8

Thread: AF socket sets. Are they extinct
11/11/2018 08:05:53
I would give an autojumble a try. You can often find quality stuff that has come from a garage that has closed. If you are willing to pick through boxes of bits you can often find Brittool or SnapOn stuff in the right size at great prices.
Thread: Wyvern cylinder head sealing
08/11/2018 21:47:46

I am not getting as much bounce as that Roger. I do have the valve cages the correct way round laugh

I am going to spend some more time with it over the next few days and see what happens. Thanks all for the advice, it really is appreciated.

Andy

07/11/2018 23:13:22
Thanks Ian. I am trying to start with a drill.
The sparkplug isn't wet, I don't think there is enough compression to draw fuel in through the carb. I am going to take the engine apart and try to be a bit more careful and maybe remake a few things that I am not happy with. I got excited when finishing the engine and wanted to see it run, so I probably wasn't as careful as I should of been. I was never that happy with the head, the casting is so thin in places that some of the studs for the valve guides are really weak. The plan is for a cast iron head but the casting is aluminum alloy and it's not really meaty enough. I also messed up the sparkplug thread initially and had to helicoil them. Ideally I would like to remake the head from bar stock.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest