By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Evans

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Evans has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Total cost + import for Tormach PCNC 440, and alternatives?
24/06/2019 17:13:30

Its not ideal having a 'brand ambassador' that isn't happy with the product. To be fair everything I have read about Tormach is positive.

24/06/2019 17:11:24

I am happy if you wanted to have a look at my Sieg KX3 - I am in York

24/06/2019 17:06:26

I think the Tormach machines are outside your budget - I think I have read more like £10000 by the time you have paid for shipping and import duty. There is at least 1 thread on here I think which talks about how to import one.

I have a KX3 which I am happy with - the Tormach does look better though, but it is twice the price.

The other option is a 2nd hand Denford Triac converted to Mach3, they are well built machines designed for schools / colleges with double nutted ball screws and you sometimes see them for sale - should be within your budget. Try the CNC UK forum or the Denford support forum as they sometimes are advertised there. They often come with tool changers as well.

Its not a cheap option whatever way you go - but with a 2nd hand machine you should get your money back if you find its not for you and decide to sell. 

Edited By Andrew Evans on 24/06/2019 17:09:53

Thread: How to price up and sell a super 7 lathe
12/06/2019 08:38:24

Or use lathes.co.uk, Tony Griffith's amazing machine tool info site, Tony will write the advert for you and recommend a price he thinks is right and the site gets huge numbers of views. But it costs 30 odd quid to have an advert.

12/06/2019 08:29:59

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Selling it is easier than you think - it's the most popular lathe out there for model engineers so there will be lots of potential buyers. Use homeworkshop.org.uk which is free to sell on and you don't get time wasters. Or use the classified section on this forum. Or both.

If you want to get the highest amount for it use eBay but more likely to get time wasters. If you don't have an eBay account maybe use a friends account. Whatever way you go take some nice photos and describe it well. If you say to a buyer you know nothing about it they will try to knock the price down.

The solution to moving it is simple, just let the buyer organise it and come and collect it - that is pretty standard. You don't need a professional mover for a Myford really. 2 fit men can lift one a short distance or use a sack barrow and they fit in an estate / 4x4. If you don't want to get involved with moving it leave it to the buyer.

Price would be between £800 and £2000 depending on condition and tooling / accessories - it looks nice in the photo. So it's worth making an effort with it.

Andy

Thread: Electricity Supply
09/06/2019 10:18:19

I completely agree with Dave. There are a lot of references in this thread to 'powers that be' etc and not planning for the future - that Britain started to die in the 1980s under 'there is no such thing as society' Thatcher . We have a government whose core (only) policy is to minimise all government planning, regulation, has privatised all public assets even if it makes no sense (like rail). That means there is no real planning for an electric car future from central government - it's all left to the private sector. The likely next PM will take us even further down that route. Leaving the EU will also take us away from the idea of centralised planning and regulation. So we can't blame central government for this - they are just doing what they said they would.

Having said that the EU is one of the major global forces driving EV and purely because the bulk of our cars are built in the EU the UK has no real alternative but to follow. Leaving the EU just means we have no say in the matter.

I do think there are great opportunities for British engineering firms in this area though.

Thread: Viceroy lathe
08/06/2019 18:52:27

It does look like an FB2 head but there are various Taiwanese copies of that milling machine ( I had one) so it could be one of those which probably makes more sense.

Thread: Electricity Supply
08/06/2019 18:30:50

People made similar arguments 100 years or so ago as internal combustion engines replaced horses and steam. Other people, including engineers saw the opportunities and became very wealthy. The same thing will happen today with electric cars. There are big challenges to making it work but people will come up with solutions.

British engineering companies could and should have been in the lead on this, it's going to be a huge growth area.

The reality of nuclear power is that it's been around for decades, has been taxpayer funded for billions of £ in this country alone and has left a legacy that will last for decades and will cost billions of £ to clean up. No one wants a nuclear power plant near them and people are just scared of them. It's never delivered on its promise and unless there are major changes never will. It's a great idea though.

Thread: Model aircraft pilots angry over drone laws
07/06/2019 09:43:59

It feels like an over reaction to the drone threat on airports. I was listening to a Radio 4 piece about it a couple of weeks ago, a security expert seemed pretty confident that police and airport security now have the right technology but more importantly command and control to deal with any drones on airports.

Not done it yet and your point about guns - I think the difference is that many guns only have 1 purpose which is to kill people and preventing people from using them does save many lives - just compare America with the UK. Yes, that is a restriction on the freedom of people who want to own a gun which is price that we, as a whole, are willing to pay in the UK. In America, as a whole, they are not willing to lose that freedom but have the school shootings and all the rest of it.

The point about cars and driving, having MOTs and licences etc - I have never heard anyone seriously suggest that people should drive cars with no training or licence.

All these things are a balance between individual freedoms, the need to protect other people from deliberate or accidental harm and the costs / hassle involved in regulating things.

Thread: Viceroy lathe
06/06/2019 10:30:25

I have a Viceroy too and there are no mounting points for a milling head.

What I do know is that there are a huge number of minor variations of this lathe. Every one I have seen is different in some way. So it wouldn't surprise me if a milling head was offered.

Thread: Quicksilver
04/06/2019 12:37:02

If your hypothetical friend decided to get rid of the problem by pouring it out into the ground (which was a common way in the past to get rid of unwanted chemicals) it could cause a huge problem which would certainly result in prosecution as well as a major health risk.

Thread: Antikythera mechanism
03/06/2019 22:51:17

They had Myfords then surely

Thread: Colchester Lathe Factory
31/05/2019 09:31:33

Thanks for the link Alan.

I think they must have painted all the machinery in gold just for the film - it looks too perfect otherwise.

Andy

Thread: Printing small parts for car restoration
31/05/2019 08:58:17

Thanks Ian - that looks like a great event. Andy

Thread: What to buy
27/05/2019 00:22:40

What's the problem with something made in China? You seem pretty vehemently opposed to it.

Thread: Machinery movers?
21/05/2019 11:36:58

Mark, did you get a reasonable quote in the end? Andy

Thread: Machine moving recommendations.
20/05/2019 08:28:42

What I did to move the smaller items in my workshop was to hire 20 stackable crocodile crates. Stuff like chucks and vices are too heavy for the cardboard boxes supplied by the removal company. They also hold any oil leaks. The removal guys did moan about the weight of them though which they hadn't really factored in when quoting.

Thread: Smart & Brown Model A
17/05/2019 22:07:36

Thanks Clive, that is really useful. Andy

Thread: Machine moving recommendations.
17/05/2019 14:46:45

There is another machine mover who advertises on eBay, if you do a search for lathes their listing will come up. I have never used them.

When I moved house a few years ago moving the workshop machines and the house contents on the same day was a headache as there was just too much to do - and that was less than 1 mile away. So if you can do them on separate days I would recommend it and I would recommend paying someone to do it. The cost of moving house is so high and is so stressful that an extra few hundred £ is a drop in the ocean - at least that was my reasoning.

Thread: Smart & Brown Model A
17/05/2019 14:21:17

Thanks Lathejack and Clive, i appreciate the advice and the offer of the manual PDF. The one I had my eye on is on eBay and is a Mk.1 - looks good condition though. What are the main differences between the Mk.1 and Mk.2 besides the shape of the base?

In terms of weight of this or a 1024 - I can move my Denford around with a pinch bar on my own, albeit its inch by inch - are these movable once they are in place without a big faff? Is there any space under the base to get a toe jack in for example so it can go onto pipes?

Andy

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest