By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Evans

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Evans has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: End mill for EN16
07/10/2019 12:51:56

Thanks Dave and Andrew

Feeds and speeds is probably an issue. For the 2 insert 16mm endmill I am running about 1200 RPM and 70 mm/min with a cut depth of 0.5mm and less than half the diameter of the cutter engaged - is that just too cautious? This is on a Seig KX3 CNC milling machine. Ideally I would like to use flood coolant but the job is quite high off the table and unless I build a cabinet it will make an awful mess.

07/10/2019 08:22:32

Thanks Emgee - I will see what is available and give it a go.

06/10/2019 22:19:36

Hello all, I am doing quite a bit of milling of EN16 steel with a vertical milling machine. HSS end mills are going blunt very quickly, I also have a 2 flute 16mm Glanze insert end mill. Can anyone recommend some end mills that will give a good surface finish and last a long time? Any advice is appreciated? Andy

Thread: Versatool cabinets
24/09/2019 08:13:00

I got one fitted out for a jig borer with felt lined trays. It felt a bit sacreligious but I removed most of the wooden dividers and use it to store drills, milling cutters, chucks, collets etc all neatly layed out. It saves so much time having everything to hand rather than hunting through boxes.

Thread: Solvent for degreasing engine, without damaging the paintwork?
22/09/2019 09:39:00

I use a product called Swarfega Jizer. It degreases and protects against rust. It is also water soluble.

Thread: Complete newbie question - RC car from scratch
20/09/2019 19:21:10

Neil, I had a Tamiya as a kid too - the pick up truck, it was very fast but the suspension and steering always needed fixing. You can get them now but they are very expensive. I not sure what happened to mine, probably got sold when I left home.

Chris - good luck.

Thread: Dumb question from a none driver
20/09/2019 18:17:54

Apologies, I should have read the full thread before commenting.

Hopefully your friend can get it sorted.

Best wishes

Andy

20/09/2019 07:58:23

Mark, I don't want to sound mean or anything but why cant your son buy and run his own car? If it has broken down bring it to a garage and they will fix it. If it is uneconomical to fix then scrap it. If you own a banger and it has a major mechanical issue it may be uneconomic to repair it. That's the downside of owning a cheap car. If you want a reliable car that won't cost anything if it does break down get a new one or one under warranty. Andy

Thread: Ebay site changes for the worst
18/09/2019 10:58:11

That's not a scam, its a feature of eBay where you can offer a group of people a special offer.

I think you can can still get bargains on eBay auctions sometimes, if it is a non-business seller. I just got a really nice pair of vintage RayBans in perfect condition for £25. If its a very popular or rare item, auctions sometimes sell for huge amounts.

Thread: Any interesting lathe projects for beginners?
17/09/2019 08:21:29

I made a couple of small machinist jacks when I first started which I actually use a lot. They involve screw cutting, taper turning, boring and knurling - so a good range of skills needed.

Thread: Seeking advice on suitable lathe
09/09/2019 08:52:49

I think if you are doing it on a regular basis using a very small lathe would be slow and get tedious very fast. You would be spending 90 minutes doing a job that should take 2 minutes. Do you have any space to have a larger machine at all? Do you have a garage or shed to put a lathe in?

1 option is a smaller CNC lathe like a Denford Starturn. It would be slow but at least you could do something else while it worked away.

Thread: Disposal of workshop contents
03/09/2019 07:52:40

I would have thought if your friend wants to get the most money - which makes sense if he is retiring - he should list on eBay. As he isn't computer literate maybe a relation or friend can help, or just pay someone he knows some money to help photograph and list the items.

Thread: Equity release!
01/09/2019 20:07:37

What about simply selling your house and renting?

Thread: What 3 Words
17/08/2019 08:17:45

"Meet me tonight and we will run away together, 10:30 at Noted.Skirting.Learn"

Thread: Shot peening for metal improvement
05/08/2019 16:00:53

Just bray it with a hammer a few times and the jobs a good un

Thread: Motor plate help needed
29/07/2019 23:39:17

Thanks, that helps. It's from a Reiden lathe I am thinking of buying. Andy

29/07/2019 13:32:38

motor2.jpeg

I would really appreciate some help with this motor plate. Would this be a motor I could run from a 3 phase digital inverter from a 240v supply? seems to have a delta symbol and then a sort of star symbol but also can run a 2 speeds. Andy

Thread: "I'm calling about your accident" - how does this scam work?
28/07/2019 15:04:47

It's not a scam as such - it's very intrusive and unpleasant advertising for legitimate law businesses (an oxymoron I know). It's just relying on a tiny percentage of people who have had an accident and want to make a claim. The company then get the business and make money as part of any settlement. It clearly a good business model or they wouldn't bother.

Thread: Why are CNC lathes more expensive than a CNC Mill
22/07/2019 11:12:51

As has already been said I think it's down to economies of scale as there is a higher demand for CNC milling machines for the hobby market. A CNC mill is great as you can do one offs, machining shapes that would be hard on a manual machine. I feel a CNC lathe is more about making multiple parts - a less common scenario at home so it's less of an advantage over a manual lathe.

Thread: Cruise meeting crash
19/07/2019 10:35:30

It's not allowed to go on, it's breaking the law and prosecutions will result. I don't understand your points about seatbelts or steam engines - what has that got do with it. Surely if you are worried about safety you would welcome measures to improve it.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest