By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Evans

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Evans has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Meaning of numbers
02/09/2020 21:22:57

I thought it was the money you need to spend at a minimum to get into CNC smiley

Thread: Lathe and big machines | help needed in finding them a new home
09/08/2020 11:29:06

Perhaps I am being a bit optimistic on the Novamill. I sold one years ago converted to Mach 3 for, I think, £1500 on eBay (very similar to what I paid and I may be over egging the pudding as it was a while back) and my impression is that prices have gone up. If someone wants a smaller, quality CNC milling machine they are a good option and not that easy to get.

09/08/2020 10:40:57

The Schaublin 102 lathes are advertised for around 7000 Euro from dealers in Europe to give you an idea but a private sale would be less. As others have said condition and accessories can make a big difference. It looks good in the pictures and not worn out.

The Denford Novamill would sell for between £700 and £2000 depending on details. If it works with a modern computer then £2k.

09/08/2020 10:24:06

Hello Mike

Your father in law has some nice quality machines there, probably a few thousand pounds worth if sold properly. I would advertise via Tony Griffiths www.lathes.co.uk who will advise on what they are worth and help with the advert wording. He does charge a fee but think you will get the best price with no hassles that way. Beware of traders who offer a few hundred quid to clear the workshop.

Hope this helps. Andy

Edited By Andrew Evans on 09/08/2020 10:26:30

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
29/07/2020 16:50:17

Owain - Have a look at PlanetCNC, I am really impressed so far on my Orac conversion and will move my KX3 to use it in due course.

Thread: CNC dedicated mill or CNC converted mill?
14/07/2020 09:32:45

Is it a possibility to 'rough out' with a hobby CNC mill and then finish the crucial dimensions with say a surface grinder or in a manual way? Based on what others are saying it sounds like producing parts to that spec purely with a CNC mill might be beyond your budget

Edited By Andrew Evans on 14/07/2020 09:41:12

Thread: Lockdown Reading - Nevil Shute Rediscovered
05/07/2020 23:23:14

Sorry yes, he founded Airspeeds in the interwar years. Seems like an odd place to have an aircraft factory, in those days in York the only way to get out by vehicle was through the bar walls or under low rail bridges so access must have been a problem.

05/07/2020 19:37:36

He owned an aircraft factory in central York before world war 1. It was demolished a couple of years ago.

Thread: Best places to buy metal for machining
16/06/2020 14:34:01

Another vote for M-Machine

Thread: Recommendations for quality brush for synthetic paints
03/06/2020 13:24:56

Purdy

Thread: Machine Tool Peripheral Hoists
01/06/2020 16:38:02

Adam Booth talks about the forces generated when taking 1/2 inch cuts in steel on his Monarch - has anyone got an idea of what they would be and how they would compare to the toolpost mounted Skyhook?

Edited By Andrew Evans on 01/06/2020 16:38:41

Thread: Sodium Nitrite
25/05/2020 09:11:20

Try asking at a butcher

Thread: Which Digital Compact Camera?
21/05/2020 14:43:56

A word of caution, I had an excellent Canon G7X and we got caught in severe weather in the Lake Distrct last year, water got in and it was wrecked.

Thread: Telescopic bore gauges.
30/04/2020 08:20:33

Once you get the technique right with practice they are pretty accurate. I have the gauge at an angle in the bore, nip up the screw, move the gauge perpendicular which pushes it closed until I can feel no more resistance and then remove the gauge for measuring with a mike.

Thread: P&W Jig Borers
28/04/2020 09:57:42

That P&W manual is really nicely written. Very different to modern manuals.

Thread: Blot On The Landscape
25/04/2020 10:14:22

I am in 2 minds on the value of HS2. On one hand the cost and short term environmental impact is huge. On the other hand I spent 4 weeks last year on long distance train holiday in Europe - Paris to Strasbourg in luxury, silence and comfort in a couple of hous, most of way we sat at just over 200 mph. Similar journies across Germany, Austria and from Venice to Milan although not as fast as TGV. These were not expensive tickets compared to what we are used to in this country. That showed me that the end result of these projects. To be fair the journey down from York to London on the east coast mainline was also good but wasn't cheap.

On this forum we often complain about the lack of engineering now in this country but this sort of massive project is just the sort of thing that can disprove that. John's initial post and photo shows what sites will look like during construction but I think the plan is to replant all this after its built so it is a temporary eyesore. Looking at old photos of railway line construction in Victorian times it looks like hell on earth and thousands of people died building them.

I do think there is a case to reverse some of the Beeching cuts though, and have more local lines and stations and improve the lines we already have. Maybe that would benefit more people, take cars off the road and give much better value for money.

Thread: Centroid Acorn experience
22/04/2020 09:48:51

Martin - I got your settings file up and running and it helped me make a decision, thanks. I ordered a PlanetCNC setup yesterday for my Denford Orac conversion so it should be here next week hopefully. A 4 axis USB board, a board to control a VFD and a license. My plan is to get it running on a raspberry pi with a touchscreen and try to recreate the original Orac design that had a small VDU built into the base of the lathe.

BTW - if anyone is interested in Centroid Acorn I found a way to potentially get a discount, PM me for the details.

For this conversion the cheapest bit has been the lathe itself!

Thread: BBC Micro Boxford TCL125
22/04/2020 09:40:06

I ordered a PlanetCNC setup yesterday for my Denford Orac conversion. A 4 axis board, a board to control a VFD and a software license. My plan is to get it running on a raspberry pi with a touchscreen and try to recreate the original Orac design that had a small VDU built into the base of the lathe.

I seriously considered Centroid Acorn and it looks solid, it needs a high spec Windows 10 PC though and ideally a high res touch screen which really racks up the cost.

Thread: The good bits coming out of the Covid epidemic
21/04/2020 09:25:37

great for wildlife and stargazing

Thread: Manual control of CNC
20/04/2020 11:22:21

I do quite a bit of basic machining on my Seig KX3 by just manually typing in lines of G code. Manually jogging during setup with all maching done by g code - either manually entered for simple stuff or from CamBam. I don't miss having a manual way to control the machine beyond this.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
cowells
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest