By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Evans

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Evans has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Why mostly manual cars in UK
04/12/2019 22:45:29

Not sure if there are more autos in Australia compared to Europe. You always pay more to rent an automatic, purely because the rental companies can charge more as some people either can't or won't drive a manual. Think it is even more in the US where most people seem to have never heard of manual transmission.

Thread: Myford Super 7 - paraffin to clean leadscrew question
03/12/2019 08:16:44

Ok boomer smiley

Thread: What's your favorite Dan Gelbart video
28/11/2019 23:57:45

He is a really interesting guy. Stefan Gotteswinter also has some great YouTube videos - he is very focused on commercial work that can be done in a home workshop.

Thread: View on this milling machine please
24/11/2019 19:09:04

I live in York and the machine is local to me I think. If your friend is serious I am happy to take a look at it for him.

24/11/2019 19:08:20

I live in York and the machine is local to me I think. If your friend is serious I am happy to take a look at it for him.

Thread: Rod Stewart's Model Railway
14/11/2019 08:25:03

First Cut Is The Deepest was actually a reference to Rod's experience using a lathe.

Can anyone else work in Rod Stewart song titles or lyrics into model engineering or model railway puns?

Thread: Boxford 280
12/11/2019 13:15:33

Is the leadscrew turning?

Thread: New lathe next week
01/11/2019 18:21:31

Get one

Thread: Tour of my workshop
22/10/2019 09:06:57

Thanks Phil, I am jealous of the amount of space you have. Plenty of room for a big Holbrook or DSG lathe.

Thread: VFD and screwcutting
16/10/2019 17:38:49

I looked at Newton Tesla, then got a 2nd hand Mitsubishi VFD (same as the one used by Newton Tesla), a quality 2nd hand 3 phase motor and a prewired control box off eBay for £30 - saved myself about £200 and got the same result. I had to program the VFD but that is pretty easy once you get the hang of it and read the manual.

If you work out how to program the VFD it then becomes obvious how to wire in extra microswitches and tune it to the speeds that suit your lathe and the work you are doing.

Its a big improvement.

Edited By Andrew Evans on 16/10/2019 17:46:47

Thread: Newall DRO
15/10/2019 08:51:15

Not a Newall or a Bantam, but when I fitted a DRO to my Denford lathe of similar size I had to fabricate brackets out of angle that stick out the back of the cross slide. The included brackets didn't really help. There just isn't enough space otherwise. No problems with the z axis but I had to drill and tap holes in the casting.

It's stating the obvious but I fitted spring washers and used loctite to all fittings as I found vibrations loosened the screws over time and scales lost accuracy as the fixings had some end play.

Thread: Changing internet providers
12/10/2019 23:50:26

Rapidly changing technology and broadband demand means that superfast fibre is going to be needed across the country - a house with a couple of TVs streaming 8K movies, the kids listening to lossless streamed music and playing the latest Playstation game requires a huge amount of data that the old BT copper lines can't support.

12/10/2019 23:49:18

It looks like the Sky email address will continue to work indefinitely - **LINK**. The reason for that is it would cost more in admin costs for Sky to delete it than the fractions of a penny it costs them annually to keep it running.

Do you have an Android mobile phone? If so you will already have a gmail email address. If not it is is easy to create one or a yahoo email address - or there are many other free email providers.

If you do want to change your email address on the various sites you use each site will have a way to easily do that - e.g. on this site it is settings => my account from the top menu bar. Changing your broadband provider shouldn't have any effect on the way you log in to your various websites and forums - your user name and password won't change (even if your user name happens to be your Sky email address it is unimportant if that is still a valid email address or not). In fact you can't change your user name on many sites. e.g. if your email address is old.mart@sky.com and your username on a site is old.mart@sky.com you can change your email address any time you want say to old.mart@gmail.com but your username will always be old.mart@sky.com - they are 2 different pieces of data that just happen to have the same value when they are first created.

What I would do is set up a new gmail / yahoo email address, then create a rule in your Sky email system that forwards on new messages to your gmail address - that way you won't miss any emails. Then stop using the Sky address and gradually update your email address in the various websites you use. At some point you won't get any new messages to your Sky account and you can forget about it.

Thread: End mill for EN16
07/10/2019 22:21:23

The inserts I am using are Iscar APKT 1003PDR IC908

07/10/2019 12:51:56

Thanks Dave and Andrew

Feeds and speeds is probably an issue. For the 2 insert 16mm endmill I am running about 1200 RPM and 70 mm/min with a cut depth of 0.5mm and less than half the diameter of the cutter engaged - is that just too cautious? This is on a Seig KX3 CNC milling machine. Ideally I would like to use flood coolant but the job is quite high off the table and unless I build a cabinet it will make an awful mess.

07/10/2019 08:22:32

Thanks Emgee - I will see what is available and give it a go.

06/10/2019 22:19:36

Hello all, I am doing quite a bit of milling of EN16 steel with a vertical milling machine. HSS end mills are going blunt very quickly, I also have a 2 flute 16mm Glanze insert end mill. Can anyone recommend some end mills that will give a good surface finish and last a long time? Any advice is appreciated? Andy

Thread: Versatool cabinets
24/09/2019 08:13:00

I got one fitted out for a jig borer with felt lined trays. It felt a bit sacreligious but I removed most of the wooden dividers and use it to store drills, milling cutters, chucks, collets etc all neatly layed out. It saves so much time having everything to hand rather than hunting through boxes.

Thread: Solvent for degreasing engine, without damaging the paintwork?
22/09/2019 09:39:00

I use a product called Swarfega Jizer. It degreases and protects against rust. It is also water soluble.

Thread: Complete newbie question - RC car from scratch
20/09/2019 19:21:10

Neil, I had a Tamiya as a kid too - the pick up truck, it was very fast but the suspension and steering always needed fixing. You can get them now but they are very expensive. I not sure what happened to mine, probably got sold when I left home.

Chris - good luck.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest