By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Evans

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Evans has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What 3 Words
17/08/2019 08:17:45

"Meet me tonight and we will run away together, 10:30 at Noted.Skirting.Learn"

Thread: Shot peening for metal improvement
05/08/2019 16:00:53

Just bray it with a hammer a few times and the jobs a good un

Thread: Motor plate help needed
29/07/2019 23:39:17

Thanks, that helps. It's from a Reiden lathe I am thinking of buying. Andy

29/07/2019 13:32:38

motor2.jpeg

I would really appreciate some help with this motor plate. Would this be a motor I could run from a 3 phase digital inverter from a 240v supply? seems to have a delta symbol and then a sort of star symbol but also can run a 2 speeds. Andy

Thread: "I'm calling about your accident" - how does this scam work?
28/07/2019 15:04:47

It's not a scam as such - it's very intrusive and unpleasant advertising for legitimate law businesses (an oxymoron I know). It's just relying on a tiny percentage of people who have had an accident and want to make a claim. The company then get the business and make money as part of any settlement. It clearly a good business model or they wouldn't bother.

Thread: Why are CNC lathes more expensive than a CNC Mill
22/07/2019 11:12:51

As has already been said I think it's down to economies of scale as there is a higher demand for CNC milling machines for the hobby market. A CNC mill is great as you can do one offs, machining shapes that would be hard on a manual machine. I feel a CNC lathe is more about making multiple parts - a less common scenario at home so it's less of an advantage over a manual lathe.

Thread: Cruise meeting crash
19/07/2019 10:35:30

It's not allowed to go on, it's breaking the law and prosecutions will result. I don't understand your points about seatbelts or steam engines - what has that got do with it. Surely if you are worried about safety you would welcome measures to improve it.

Thread: TTFN
18/07/2019 17:10:12

That's a shame, I have learned a lot from your posts down the years. Easy for me to say but why not just ignore those posts?

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
17/07/2019 12:08:58

wink

Thread: Rounded Torx Screw Removal
16/07/2019 07:57:55

Left hand drill bit if you have one.

Thread: Sealing Threads
09/07/2019 11:52:41

Rocol steam seal will seal it well, once it's gone off it won't be easy to undo the joint though. It remains soft for a few hours so you can get the position exactly right without panicking. It's used on full scale high pressure fittings.

Thread: Microns ...
08/07/2019 17:38:16

I spent a lot of time looking at microscopic fossils, down to about 5 microns - they start getting fuzzy at that size due to the wavelength of light being about half a micron. That was using a fairly standard optical microscope. I got some amazing photos as well.

Neil - I am impressed that you can work so accurately!

Thread: Best instructions
06/07/2019 08:20:24

Haynes manuals - every job seems fairly straightforward in the manual but bears no resemblance to how difficult it is in practice.

Thread: Using a lathe
01/07/2019 08:46:42

Obviously everyone has different experiences but all I can say is my children and their friends spend time boating on the river, hiking in the Dales and further afield, they do the same sorts of science experiments I did. Other kids I know are actively involved in big scale engineering in their own time.

I just don't recognise this "H&S culture gone mad" thing. Yes, kids are encouraged to be safe and adults to be responsible which of course involves some extra effort. As a parent I would expect no less.

I think the idea of "what's the worse that could happen, a few cuts and bruises" is also wrong. My dad's experience alone at school in the 1950s - one boy messing around and ran onto the track during javelin, which went straight through his leg. Another boy practicing pole vault alone at lunch break, it snapped in half and impaled him, and he was killed. I was reading a report the other day of a guy machining steel stock in a CNC lathe with 3ft sticking out of the chuck unsupported. It jammed on the cutting tool and bent at 90 degrees. The operator heard the noise, turned round and stepped straight into the flailing bar. The coroner's report was death caused by multiple blunt force traumas to the head and torso. So learning by trial and error wasn't too effective in that case.

Thread: Recent conversions of Warco WM18 to CNC?
30/06/2019 22:48:58

There is an Amadeal milling machine just advertised on the homeworkshop site for £400.

Thread: Snail Problems
30/06/2019 19:43:25

I heard something on the radio about an experiment where someone caught snails, painted a mark on the shells and released them a good distance away. They were back the next night.

Same with mice that people try to re-home.

Thread: Recent conversions of Warco WM18 to CNC?
30/06/2019 19:38:41

I would have thought that any warranty would be void if you converted to CNC. Surely a warranty only has any value with the electrics and motor and presumably you would be replacing those anyway.

Thread: Using a lathe
29/06/2019 21:31:46

Probably illegal in industry - children don't work in industrial settings in this country, for some very good reasons. Lots of schools have lathes so i doubt if it's illegal there - as long as done to the latest H&S legislation. Privately, I doubt there is any specific law, it's up to the adults to behave responsibly. I am sure there are many people under the age of 16 who use or even own a lathe at home - I know one.

Someone was winding you up.

Thread: Model Engineering Overseas
24/06/2019 17:41:40

Does being told that the lathe is making too much noise by your family count as challenging circumstances?

Thread: Total cost + import for Tormach PCNC 440, and alternatives?
24/06/2019 17:13:30

Its not ideal having a 'brand ambassador' that isn't happy with the product. To be fair everything I have read about Tormach is positive.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest