By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Evans

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Evans has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Full size steam train goes off cliff for entertainment
17/09/2021 12:10:40

It's a very expensive prop - not a real loco. I imagine a real loco would not have given the right end results anyway and probably not be safe and too unpredictable.

Thread: CNC Lathe Scratch Build
01/07/2021 14:13:16

This looks amazing work Joe - well done!

Thread: Are we being listened to on the phone
27/03/2021 22:33:49

Can't tell if some of these posts are tongue in cheek or serious? Jokes or paranoia?

Thread: Denford Starturn 8 Lathe Docs & Software needed.
27/03/2021 18:25:33

I think most people upgrade these to work with a modern controller anyway so I can't see you getting any more money if it works with the original software or not. I would sell as is or if you have the inclination upgrade it and then sell.

Thread: HydroVane PR303E question
15/03/2021 23:22:46

I think the instruction manual would boil down to 'clean the filter occasionally and change the oil periodically'. I can't see there is anything else to do or go go wrong.

15/03/2021 14:27:09

Yes, i have one too. Someone left one by the side of the road a few months ago for free and i grabbed it. It was filthy, so i cleaned it up, sorted out the dodgy cable and it works perfectly. Mine has a tyre inflator attachment fitted. Yes, its the oil and filter. You can take them apart easily, there is viirtally no moving parts.

I have a plan to use it to power a mist coolant system as it is pretty quiet - not sure if it can deliver enough air.

Thread: Storing tools in bisley drawers advice
23/02/2021 09:19:25

Some very neat storage here - I feel envious

Thread: A Quiet Air Compressor?
11/02/2021 15:02:40

i have a Bambi, its quiet but a bit small maybe

Thread: Small Lathe Advice?
11/02/2021 14:45:48

Biggest you can sensibly fit and power at home.

Thread: Denford ORAC cnc lathe
11/02/2021 14:39:46

I think it may be a case of making a new spindle with standard dimensions or adapt one from a scrap lathe - like a D1-3. Whether it is worth the effort or cost I am not sure - might be easier to just start with an Easiturn lathe in the first place.

Thread: Sieg KX3 Erratic Spindle RPM
06/02/2021 21:21:33

I have had this issue too and I never really solved it and it was never serious enough to spend too much time on it. It could be a poor connection as the others have said. It could also be a computer issue or a mach3 issue. Mach3 can be glitchy occasionally. Do you have the parallel port or usb version of the kx3? I think usb is quite prone to interference. As Andrew said I think it's a matter of first reliably recreating the problem and then working through each element to isolate the fault.

Thread: What lathe
23/01/2021 10:46:40

Joshua, I get the feeling you think you know more than you actually do. If you don't want other people's advice then why bother asking. Why not accept you have made a few daft posts and apologise and move on? You would instantly get some respect back and people would consider helping you. Calling people 'mate' or 'pal' is a sure fire way to wind people up.

What I do know is that there are many people in this forum with huge amounts of skills and experience and willingness to help others - you are just not tapping into that knowledge in a respectful way.

Thread: Pea shooters illegal
13/12/2020 10:18:05

Sturgeon and whales caught in UK waters must be offered to the Queen by law. It's crazy that police are wasting their time enforcing this when yoofs are mugging oaps. This country has gone to hell in a handcart.

Thread: Parcelforce or DPD
28/10/2020 20:16:42

Hermes

Thread: Budget CNC
28/10/2020 20:16:15

Similar to John, I have a Denford Orac up and running with Planet CNC for under £1000 with all new motors, drivers, a control board, software and a computer. Maybe harder in Australia as I guess availability of used CNC machines is lower. So it is possible to get a well built CNC lathe or milling machine with a modern control system for a reasonable sum if you are willing to put a lot of effort in. Certainly not cheap or easy though and fair play if he can tackle it at his age.

Thread: Looking for a very small lathe.
06/10/2020 12:14:43

Consider a Taig lathe as well

Thread: Machinery hire?
27/09/2020 10:15:00

Or pray hard for a storm in the opposite direction and it will get blown right back.

26/09/2020 22:54:47

Is this covered on your house insurance? If so they would presumably get a contractor to sort it out.

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
23/09/2020 19:53:29
Posted by Gaunless on 23/09/2020 17:50:45:

Stiff upper lip lol. What the hell even was that? Too many old giffers here who think they fought WW2 but were actually in their father's knackers at the time.

smiley

22/09/2020 22:04:24

Well said Peter, the stress of traveling to Bradford must have been unimaginable - it's 60 miles and taken 7 or even 8 hours! They must have had nerves of steel.

Edited By Andrew Evans on 22/09/2020 22:08:31

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
walker midge
Warco
rapid Direct
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest