By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John MC

Here is a list of all the postings John MC has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Music in the Workshop
02/08/2020 12:17:13

I was once a Radio 1 listener, then the local independent station, now the local BBC station, a nice balance of chat and music. But, as Bazyle says, a limited playlist.

Having said that, its just in the background, listening with one ear, just occasionally something will interest me sufficiently to stop and listen properly!

John

Thread: What lathe tool for deburring holes?
02/08/2020 08:30:47

The OP is asking about deburring drill and/or bored holes in the lathe. If you have a DRO fitted why not set the top slide to 45 degrees so the tool that has just bored the hole can deburr or chamfer the hole? The DRO takes care of length measurements so the top slide becomes somewhat redundant and therefore ideal for finishing off the job with a nice chamfer.

Both my lathes have DRO's, the "default" position for the top slide is 45 degrees, anyone else do that?

John

Thread: Addition to wobbler steam engine
01/08/2020 10:51:59

lovely job, what LED did you use?

John

Thread: Cast Iron Grade 500-14
01/08/2020 07:44:04

I don't like the idea of using aluminium for a rising block, insufficiently rigid. I think cast iron to be the best choice regarding this essential property in a machine tool structure. Steel would come a close second.

John

Thread: A novel 'non-cuttable' material.
28/07/2020 12:23:18
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 28/07/2020 10:10:43:

How do you machine it into useful shapes?

Reminds me of the evil genius "All I have to do is mix these two liquids to create the ultimate solvent - but what would I keep it in?"

devil

Neil

3D print, cast?

28/07/2020 08:56:37

looking at the way the cutting disc has worn I would suggest that the grade of disc was wrong for the material but probably okay for the steel hence the difference in performance.

Many years ago I worked with metallurgists who had developed an aluminium reinforced with steel mesh, not so different in ethos to the material described in the article. The guys developing the aluminium/steel hybrid material thought it would be difficult to cut by the "thin grinding wheel" method and indeed it was with the DIY shop bought discs. The Norton rep soon came up with a disc that cut it successfully.

John

Thread: Attempting To Make My (new to me) Zyto Beautiful
19/07/2020 08:48:01

Is mounting the lathe on a moveable stand a good idea? I hate to think what dragging it along a less than perfectly flat and smooth floor will do to the machines alignment, especially a relatively lightweight machine like the Zyto.

John

Thread: Lamp Post Engine
14/07/2020 12:48:40

I'm wondering about actually running the engine on the dining room table now, oil being flicked about won't enhance the flavour of the meal!

S.O.D., I broadly agree with your numbers. The cylinder I plan to use should consume about a quarter of the air you have used in your sums, assuming my sums are correct. Might need to find a bigger vessel to get a few minutes running. There is a vessel sold for the initial inflation of tubeless bicycle tyres, can't remember what its called, might be worth a try.

I might consider disposable Co2 cylinders if my original ideas are unsuccessful.

Like the idea of some form of boiler, thing is, this is supposed to be a quick project, it could easily develop in to much more!

John

14/07/2020 08:01:31

Using the electric motor to drive the model is an interesting idea.

What I am going to try is using compressed air from a small pressure vessel, (~2" dia x 4" long) concealed in a base to drive the engine for short periods. My intention is to charge the vessel with a bicycle shock pump so could have up to 300psi available!

John.

Thread: Cigarette Papers
13/07/2020 18:05:49

What do people use cigarette papers for? (other than smoking!).

I ask the question because I've never seen them used them in engineering.

I've seen "fag paper" being used to set the ignition timing on old motorcycles, not with good effect, difficult to get any "feel" with them, 1 1/2" thou feeler much better, would the same be true in whatever way the may be used in engineering?

John

Ps, never heard the trueing of a mill head called "tramming" until I joined this forum.

Thread: Lamp Post Engine
13/07/2020 12:24:52

I've shown this thread to my partner, the reaction was "thats pretty, it would make a lovely Christmas table decoration"!

As we all know, when ones partner makes a comment like that its a request to make one. A look in the box of things that might be useful has found a small slide valve cylinder, a possibly usable flywheel and a small motor that may be suitable as a generator.

I'm looking forward to building my take on the "lamp post engine", a make it up as I go along project. Anyone else having a go?

John

Thread: Yipee the F1 is back on
29/06/2020 10:56:15

I suppose its another step back to normality, football and horse racing seem to have lead the way back.

I'm not a F1 fan other than taking a passing interest, its now "dead end" engineering with no real racing, it all seems to happen in the pits with the tyre changing!

Last years I won a couple of tickets to watch a touring car event. Went along not expecting much. Wow, was I wrong, real racing with the result decided on the track! Bought tickets for a couple of races this year, money back now.

I've enjoyed the Moto Gp, on a good day some fantastic racing.

John

Thread: Shaft Steel Material Selection
27/06/2020 11:49:26
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 27/06/2020 10:08:42:

John MC beat me to it, use 0.5" id 0,75 OD inner races:

https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/?catid=3665&display=&orderby=&att1=&att2=3%2F4inch&att3=&att4=&att5=

on a 0.5" shaft with 0.5" x 0.75" taper sleeve bushes on the pullerys e.g.

https://www.sdp-si.com/PDFS/Shaftloc-Sleeves-Inch.pdf

Loctite will hold the sleeves (ot turn down a 0.75" shaft to 0.5" at the ends) and you willl have room for proper seals so a semi-liquid geease e.g. CV joint grease can be used..

Robert G8RPI.

Seems an expensive way of doing it, taper lock bushes. Slightly larger O/D bearings with inner races to suit. May need to bore the I/D of the inner race, tipped tools will manage that. Use inner races longer than the bearing so the oil seals have a hard surface to bear on.

John

27/06/2020 08:04:47

Might it be possible to redesign the arrangement using readily available inner races? No problems with hardness, surface finish and distortion. You might even be able to use the existing shaft, if not a new shaft could be made from (relatively) easy to machine steel.

Looks like the casting could accommodate slightly larger outer races. Is that an oil seal in the photo, if not consider fitting, the "needle roller" type (slim section) would be perfect for the job.

John

Thread: Hylomar universal blue failed to seal oil?
23/06/2020 12:24:50

I'm open to correction on this, my understanding of Hylomar is that it was developed by Rolls Royce for use with cork gaskets. With this in mind I've had great success sealing Velocette primary chaincases with cork gaskets and Hylomar.

There are much better sealants for sealing screw threads, I favour Loctite products, 542 for instance.

John

Ps; the RR connection, beaten to it by Howard L!

Thread: Another mystery tool
17/06/2020 08:25:06

No idea what it is. I wonder if its war reparation?

D.R.P.a. signifies Deutsches Reichpatent angemeldet ("German Reich patent applied for". Got me thinking that might be so, not sure it helps identify it's use though.

John

Thread: Workshop Gloves
31/05/2020 09:34:24

I suffered from dermatitis, according to my GP a cummalitive thing after many years of being exposed to oily things. I tried barrier creams, didn't work so now use talc free latex gloves. I wear them for all oily work and that includes machine tool operation.

Being concerned about the safety of this I consulted the HS guy at where I worked. He said it was fine and several of the craftsmen in the workshop there did the same, but first they need assurance it was safe to do so.

While I agree that wearing the wrong type of glove when, say, turning is dangerous, as rings, ties and long hair are, the appropriate PPE is fine.

The bonus to using latex gloves is that my hands don't have that tell tale ground in dirt look about them. Also, I no longer need to use aggressive hand cleaners, these can cause skin problems that may have been the cause of my problems with dermatitis.

John

Thread: J.T.Slocombe micrometer very old
28/05/2020 12:57:52

I've had this scruffy looking micrometer for many years. It was going in the bin because no one wanted it, no ratchet, stained and possibly a mixture of parts, the sleeve is plated, the rest isn't. I'm assuming that "1938" refers to its age?

I'm pleased I rescued it, its accurate and just feels nice to use.

John

img_20200528_090904_2.jpg

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
25/05/2020 16:22:29

John, try making some knife edged "tyres" that are pressed on to the bearings, that should reduce the friction. Also get any lubricant out of the bearings then put a tiny bit of WD40 (or similar) to lube the bearings.

John

Thread: Source for wiper felt
24/05/2020 07:24:42

There is (was?) someone selling 3D printed wipers. I bought sets for my Colchester lathes, saddle and tailstock. They are exactly the same as the original at a fraction of the price of the genuine article and are lasting well, 20+ years.

A friend needed some for his Harrison lathe, the guy i bought from did not make them for that lathe bit on receipt of a satisfactory pattern he made a set.

Unfortunately I cannot find details of the supplier now but I think it shows that 3D printed wipers should be considered.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest