By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Malc

Here is a list of all the postings Malc has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ML7 refurbishment
06/07/2020 18:36:03

Hi Dave, I have an ML7 of a similar age as yours. Presently having the gear cover off I thought I would put a picture in my album of the range of gear pitches. However I cannot seem to upload a picture try as I might. I use the following gear train for normal smooth turning: MANDREL, driver 20T. 1st STUD, driven 65T, driver 25T. 2nd STUD, driven 70T, driver 20T. LEADSCREW, 75T. This gives a feed of 0.0037” per rev. There is a finer feed giving 0.0018” per rev but you need a 12T drive gear on the mandrel, as I don’t have one I have never tried it. Hope you can make sense of that lot. If you would like the picture I tried to upload I will email it if you PM me.

Malc.

Thread: Digital angle gauges
22/06/2020 18:40:56

Many thanks to all of you fellows for the benefit of your experiences and opinions. Always worth asking for help on this forum. Thanks again.

21/06/2020 21:36:16

Evening all, I have been looking at buying one of those digital angle gauges. Wixey seems to be the original but I see there are various cheaper versions about now so I wondered whether any of you fellows have any experiences of either the Wixey or the cheaper versions, any opinions will be welcome. Thanks all.

Thread: Myford Ml7 micrometer dial.
10/06/2020 17:36:44

Yes, I had forgotten I had made a dividing device using the lathe screw cutting gears. I cut the graduation marks just using a V shaped tool on its side in the tool post and moving the cross slide along the bed up to a pre-set stop, several shallow cuts each time. I think there is a picture of one of the finished dials in my photos. I seem to remember I also made a jig to guide the number stamp for punching the numbers. I have seen far more professional looking jobs on these pages but for a non engineer the dials turned out well enough and have certainly been useful and accurate enough for me.

10/06/2020 15:44:18

There is a detailed article on making these in the Geo.H.Thomas book “The model engineers workshop manual” (P. 164). I made a pair for my ML7 several years ago and have found them a worthwhile feature.

Thread: Turbo CAD Query.
23/02/2020 10:39:57

Many thanks Gary, my sanity is restored. I spent some time drawing 2D house plans a couple of years ago and became reasonably capable with the program but am trying to make a comeback with the help of the Paul Tracey videos. Very impressed with your instructional techniques, screenshots with pasted directions, very effective! You have certainly got me out of a hole. Many thanks again.

22/02/2020 21:40:18

I have been trying to get into TurboCAD (Deluxe, ver: 16.2), but today I am stuck. I have just started playing with 3D and changing the workplane before adding shapes to other shapes. However, when I now try to draw an ordinary polyline it appears as a parallelogram. I have tried the polylines in another file and it works perfectly so I assume I have done something stupid. Can any of you fellows offer any suggestions?

Thread: The cultural status of engineers in the UK
12/01/2020 18:02:57

Just to lighten the mood lads:

Three graduate engineers were discussing who might have been responsible for the design of the human body. The first one said "Think of all the joints etc. it must have been a mechanical engineer". The second one said "No no, what about all the electrical impulses and nerves etc? It must have been an electrical engineer". The third graduate was shaking his head, "You are both wrong, the human body was designed by a civil engineer - who else would run a waste pipe through a recreational area"?

Thread: New legislation that could affect us all.
09/01/2020 15:16:23

After a very lengthy "Lack of convenience" due to refurbishment of one of the college toilets it was announced that it would finally be re-opened the following Friday. Some comedian felt that the occaision deserved a better billing, however the management were not amused!

As a result of a recently passed motion

The Organisers : B.A.D. Skidmark

bid you welcome to :

THE

GRAND INAUGURAL

CRAPPING CEREMONY

FRIDAY 15TH JUNE

2-00 PM

To mark the opening of the new Staff & Student relief offices.

Heavy refreshments will be served to maintain a lively attendance

(Prices reduced by a tird !)

Entertainment By :

“Sheila Shitz & the Bog Trotters”

Displays By :

“The Panhandlers”

(not to be missed !)

Thread: The Engineers Emporium - Red Wing hit and miss engine
28/12/2019 14:26:39

Hi Andrew,

When I was looking for my first lathe I rang Engineers Emporium several times, each time I was promised a call back but never received one. As the firm is local to me I decide to call in. On arriving I was asked whether I had made an appointment, when I said no I was asked to leave. Needless to say I took my business elsewhere. Wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole personally!

Thread: Myford ML7 - Size of Mandrel Through Drilling?
12/08/2019 17:45:35

Mine is 0.625”, serial No. K 76235.

Thread: Finished my beam engine.
07/08/2019 13:11:45

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. I do like the individual round legs idea 34046, nice and simple! I was hoping to avoid eBay Rik, my one and only excursion down that route was via Pay- Pal and resulted in me having to change my card PIN for security. Anyway, thanks again all for the replies.

06/08/2019 21:03:49

Julius de Waal Beam engine.f82242a3-b235-4907-a3bc-16483bffa036.jpeg

06/08/2019 19:52:12

I have finally finished building my working model of the Julius de Waal beam engine. It has been a great project, built from scratch and has kept me out of mischief for about the last 3 years. I am not a skilled engineer and the model is not of exhibitiion standard, but, at about 15” long with an 8” dia. flywheel I think it is very presentable and I am well pleased with it. The point is that having built it and got it running it has served its purpose. For me the joy was in the making and building. I did retain enough interest to paint it but that was not exactly a labour of love for me. I knocked up a temporary base of ply to hold the engine whilst working on it but it deserves a decent mounting. The question is , what do I do with it now? This set me wondering whether there is a market for finished models and, if so, what on earth would be a fair price to ask? Do any members sell models? Can any of you give me any idea of a fair price?

Thread: RENAULT DAUPHINE
01/08/2019 20:59:42

I remember my Dad buying a Renault Dauphine, it was the first brand new car he had. The front weight (or rather the lack of it) was a problem. I remember my Dad keeping a 1 cwt. bag of cement in the boot to compensate.

Thread: Fly cutting
02/07/2019 09:19:45

Having made a fly cutter some time ago I put it to use squaring off the edges of some 5/8” thick mild steel. The cutting edge of the 1/4” round tool soon needed sharpening and it was tricky to grind an effective edge on it. It was then that I found an old 17mm drill which had been butchered at the point and the shank. I cut it short with about a 45 degree angle I then ground a shallower angle and some rake to give a cutting edge. I also cut the shank end short. It looked very crude after this attack with the angle grinder but I thought it was worth a try in the lathe. I was amazed how well it cut, it seemed to have a shearing action rather than chipping the surface like my old fly cutter. I will try to post a picture of my “Tatty tool” and the surface it produced. The lathe was running at approx. 230 rpm and I was taking about a .012” cut, although I did a couple of .020” cuts which went just as well. I am always surprised by the quality of the surface produced by fly cutters anyway, but I was well chuffed with this little bodge up!b39d64ca-a326-42ca-b9a4-294b22064c7a.jpeg

Thread: Myford mystery hole
28/06/2019 19:38:48

Yes John, that’s the second idea along those line which I have seen. When I get the lathe back together this is something I will look into - all food for thought! Thanks to all.

28/06/2019 10:04:35

The hole has always had a grease / oil nipple in it, which is why I have been faithfully oiling it all this time. I will replace it with a suitable bung and save some oil ! Having had all the usual fun with the Myford oil gun I have considered replacing all these nipples with ball oilers, but the ones on the headstock pulley and back gear might be a problem, what do you think?

27/06/2019 20:17:47

Thanks for that Nick, That’s another mystery solved.

27/06/2019 19:13:58

309f00e6-85f7-4975-8185-f068bd1c5ca3.jpeg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest