By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steven Vine

Here is a list of all the postings Steven Vine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mini Sewing Machine Restoration.
13/09/2016 19:49:35

My advice, restore it, and quickly pass it on to some 'lucky little lady'.laugh

Thread: Antiques Roadshow
12/09/2016 11:05:19

the drawings I saw had ph

12/09/2016 10:27:50

**LINK**

Drawings segment around 13.30 - Audley End 2

Edited By Steven Vine on 12/09/2016 10:29:03

Thread: security Wheel bolts
10/09/2016 13:28:51

You mentioned Mcgard. Here's a Mcgard I did. A bit of lathe work and lots of heat was involved. If it is the same type then this method will cost pence. I also had to do the Peugeot security bolts when I lost the special socket. Doh.

**LINK**

Steve

10/09/2016 01:36:47

Hi Clive

To save the guessing the type, have you got a picture of said bolt, or do you know the make of said bolt for sure?

Steve

Thread: Will they add the drill or tap you most often break ?
07/09/2016 09:56:05
Posted by Mike on 07/09/2016 09:37:10:

Whereabouts are you supposed to stick that?

Definitely not under the pillow!

07/09/2016 08:54:20

I see they do a Durex button! What a mad world.

Thread: Hinkley C
04/09/2016 11:58:26
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 04/09/2016 10:01:59:
Posted by not done it yet on 04/09/2016 09:21:38:

Renewables are here to stay.

This may sound flippant, but I'm serious:

Could someone please explain to me what defines 'Renewables' ?

In my shallow thinking, I have been regarding the term 'renewables' as energy production that is not depleting the earth of natural resources. I have totally disregarded the word renew and what it appears to mean.

Wind = renewable Tide = renewable Solar= renewable Coal = not renewable Oil = not renewable.

Once its gone its gone.

Steve

(I could do with one of Johns armchairs, once he starts production)

Edited By Steven Vine on 04/09/2016 12:02:11

Thread: Is CNC cheating
03/09/2016 04:24:32

edit - removed post

Edited By Steven Vine on 03/09/2016 04:33:49

Thread: Amadeal Lathe
31/08/2016 13:08:14
Posted by Ian Phillips on 31/08/2016 11:55:11:

Ian SC is correct about that particular fan being the wrong way round, although to be fair we don't know if there is an air passage through that motor as we cannot see through the fan. The holes in the fan will serve no useful cooling purpose which ever way the fan is fitted.

Michael, I'm sure my problems and their facets will be of no interest to anyone on this forum so I'll just keep taking the medication!

Ian P

Hi Ian

Out of interest, is that right, that the fan is on the shaft the wrong way around? That orientation looks correct to me (though I have not seen the cowl arrangement for this assembly). That orientation is how they are on all the motors I have attended to (and that is quite a lot). Mind you, I have never dealt with a sewing machine motor.

Steve

31/08/2016 10:38:58

Michael

As I understand it (and correct me if I am wrong) ... the plain shaped bladed fan is normally used in conjunction with a cowl. The air is drawn into the cowl and into the center of the fan. The air is then 'flung' away from the center of the fan, and the cowl then directs the air flow down the side of the motor. The fan blades are simple as they are easier to make, but they create more noise being that shape.

It looks to me that the motor in question could do with a cowl. But I suppose, as long as it is moving air near the the motor then cooling will take place, although less efficiently.

Maybe the holes in the blade have something to do with airflow?

Steve

Edited By Steven Vine on 31/08/2016 10:42:12

Thread: What would you ban and why? (Definitely tearoom!)
24/08/2016 20:36:46
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 24/08/2016 19:11:23

Next question: what sort of word is 'flea-bay'. I'll open the bidding by suggesting it's a calque.

Contemptuous

24/08/2016 12:13:21

Crikey. I don't know about a Tea Room, but I think we need a Therapy Room for sad old gits. I'll be in that queue, I need to get my blood pressure down. There's so much I want to ban.

Steve

21/08/2016 09:50:20

mobile phones at checkouts

21/08/2016 09:27:21

If I ruled the world I would ban the stupid Sunday opening hours. I want to shop 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. I've no time for church, Sunday lunch, or listening to sing something simple..

steve

Edited By Steven Vine on 21/08/2016 09:28:08

Thread: Decoding Abbreviations on a Technical Drawing
17/08/2016 18:54:41

Wow, you draughtsmen sure know how to lay into something don't ya.laugh

Apart from Julius's non conventional way that does not adhere to the TD standards you have known and have loved for all these years, I reckon they are quite readable and quite easy to understand. Take part 33 for example: if the 3d image was not there then I would have scratched my head over that for a lot longer than I did. Having the 3d image there I was very quickly able to determine what the drawing for that part was all about. I looked at a few other components on that sheet, and again, all pretty intelligible.

I think the info you need must be all there. Once you get your head around (and into) his methods of presentation you should be ok I guess. Yeah, if they landed on the desk of any serious engineering company then they would be laughed at, I can see that,. But for home hobby use, they look like they would get the job done.

I've been seeing his drawings for quite a few years now, they are all over the internet. I'm sure if I found an error on one of his and reported it, then he would correct it quite quickly. This can't be said for many of the model engineer drawings that are kicking about and which are continually getting sold over and over again with the same mistakes in them, never corrected even though the errors are much talked about.

So, bearing in mind this is a hobby drawing, and apart for the unconventionality of JDWs drawings, what is so bad about them? Why is the drawing in question so disgusting and only fit for bog paper?

Steve

Edited By Steven Vine on 17/08/2016 18:55:50

Thread: super glue
14/08/2016 21:38:46

A video from a detailer on you tube recommends nail polish remover. The acetone goes to work on the glue.

Steve

Thread: Odd and amusing ebay listings
12/08/2016 22:06:49

Lol. The bit that got me, with the lathe attachment, was that the unsure charlieonechop was able to determine it was in 'g/condition' (is that good, great or grubby?). I'll hang around and see what it goes for.laugh

Steve

Edited By Steven Vine on 12/08/2016 22:08:39

Thread: Postage zones in the UK.
03/08/2016 14:56:59

Just had 5ltr of Quartz 7000 diesel oil and an oil filter delivered, about 5kg all up. Postage was £3.95, and that was from Dublin, with water in between, and it was flown over!

I can understand high charges for the Scottish islands, but mainland, come on, it's 2016 for gods sake!

Steve

Thread: Windows 10 forced upgrade
01/08/2016 15:57:28
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 01/08/2016 14:32:39:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 29/07/2016 18:30:12:
Posted by Steven Vine on 29/07/2016 15:44:42:

Cortana is not all that bad.

I've got her to call me Sexy, which lifts me up.

But mostly, she does not seem to understand me at all. Sigh

My stepson gets Siri to call him things like 'Oh great One', 'Supreme Leadewr', 'Your Lordship'...

Neil

So this is what the Microsoft Privacy Statement says about Cortana.

"Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and who you interact with on your device. Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lock screen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more."

That Siri! I hope she's not related to that nice Nigerian Prince who used to email me...

Seriously though, it's always a good idea to read the small print.

Dave

Hi Dave

I appreciate your concerns. I can't see that I will come to any harm if Siri or Cortana made use of data relating to my internet activities (and they can get pretty sordid I can tell you!). As long as they don't harvest my login details for the bank and paypal etc then they can do what the hell they like with my browsing history etc. It is not going to bring my world crashing down around me; I'm still unscathed after 30 years of internet-ting. If my personal data adds to the overall statistics then so be it. As I stated before, any software on your machine can harvest data and phone home, and you probably won't even know about it.

Talking of Cortana. She's hyped up to be the next best thing since your ex girlfriend, but she's pretty useless really. On my Tablet, I wake her up with "Hey Cortana", then instruct her to "go to 'www.model-engineer.co.uk'. All she is capable of is starting me off in a browser search for the model-engineer. She's too dumb to go directly to a website. She just leaves me there and expects me to do the single click. How useless is that. She can readily tell me what the weather will be like in Milton Keynes, or remind me when I will next need the bathroom visit, but I'm not interested in that rubbish.

Steve (slightly disillusioned with Cortana, and with a bit of time on his hands)

Edited By Steven Vine on 01/08/2016 16:04:17

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest