By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steven Vine

Here is a list of all the postings Steven Vine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DuckDuckGo [search engine]
16/12/2016 12:49:51
Posted by Sandgrounder on 16/12/2016 12:30:57:

Call me stupid, naive, not street wise or whatever, but I personally couldn't care less if the GCHQ guys read my emails or know what websites I go on, unfortunately the way things have gone in the world we should be thankful that there are organisations on our side listening in, but that's my own view and I realise that many will disagree with it.

John

I go along with that. I don't care what information people have on me, IT'S THE FREAKING ADVERTS EVERYWHERE THAT GET ME RILED (can you tell?). I'm immune to them now and can turn a blind eye, but jeez, they are shoved in your face everywhere you go nowadays, more so the internet..

(Michael, I like the gold stars your are giving out!)

Steve

15/12/2016 20:47:49

yesThanks Michael. I'm giving it a go.

Immediately I like the default to a UK search (it defaults to 'Any Country' in google).

Steve

Thread: help with William needed
15/12/2016 11:44:47

I don't know much about Wiliam either, but I did follow H.Watanabe's build.

**LINK**

He mentions the regulator in 'FITTINGS 2'.

Steve

Thread: The Alternate Glossary
12/12/2016 18:05:54

CDO

I was exchanging 'obsessions' with a guy at work the other day. In the end he admitted he had CDO. "It's the same as OCD" he said '"only the letters are in the correct alphabetical order". That made me laugh,

Steve

Edited By Steven Vine on 12/12/2016 18:07:28

Thread: What shall I build to please the boss?
10/12/2016 13:46:43

A metal tree for the hallway, to hang keys on as you come in. Or a tree for mugs in the kitchen, Or a rotating table for cake icing and decorating. I would show pictures, but said objects are with the ex wife!

Steve

Thread: Help needed with 5" Simplex
09/12/2016 23:52:19

I don't know why, but Pansey springs to mind.

Steve

Thread: Should I Be Able To Do This?
07/12/2016 23:19:45
Posted by Bandersnatch on 07/12/2016 21:43:52:
Posted by Steven Vine on 07/12/2016 20:10:52:

One could take it a bit further and unscrew the lid off the plug,insert it the plug without top in the socket, turn on the power, and ask should I be able to do this.

That seems like stretching the point to absurdity to me. You could take the back off any mains-operated equipment, poke around and electrocute yourself. The usual question, in terms of agency approvals, is "does it need a tool to do so?"

My point was that I can probably make any 'approved' appliance unsafe, and then claim a fault in the design or BS. I am sorry I missed the point here.

Steve

07/12/2016 20:10:52

One could take it a bit further and unscrew the lid off the plug,insert it the plug without top in the socket, turn on the power, and ask should I be able to do this.

Steve

Edited By Steven Vine on 07/12/2016 20:12:23

Thread: Going nuts
05/12/2016 00:58:53
Posted by Brian Oldford on 04/12/2016 20:44:10:

You might regret NOT getting a rear tool-post. Parting off changed my turning from one of those activities where I clenched my buttocks every time I did it to what is now a pleasure.

Rear tool post, clenched buttocks and pleasure in the same post. I had to reread that!

Steve

Thread: Loose wire
03/12/2016 12:14:58

In that first picture, the meter and fuse carriers not being straight is a bit of a let down.smiley

I had to change the consumer unit a few of years ago. After 20+ years of use, one night the main switch fizzed and buzzed for about 10 minutes, flashing the lights on and off, and eventually welded itself open. As I was prepping up the wires for the new consumer unit, I was puzzled by the two lighting cables going into one mcb. I discovered that one cable was only a meter long, and the other end of it was just stuffed into the cavity, between the inside and outside walls, without so much as a piece of insulation tape on the end of it! The house was wired in 1990.

Steve

Thread: Warco Rotary Table - Can anybody give feedback please?
02/12/2016 07:16:35

I would get the Vertex. I've not yet been disappointed with their quality.

Steve

Thread: So pleased it's finished at long last
01/12/2016 17:08:36

It's great that you are there with it Ron. I've been quietly following the trials and tribulations, which has been most entertaining. That lining gives it good character yes. My daughter is the arty type as well. I happily let here emulsion the walls and ceiling and gloss the woodwork. I always knew she would come in useful.

I'm off to open the bottle of champagne that I've had on ice, waiting for you to finish, for god knows how long.laugh

Long may it run!

All the best

Steve

Thread: Measuring PCD holes
28/11/2016 13:40:20
Posted by David Standing 1 on 28/11/2016 12:36:01:

Friend of a friend needs to be extremely careful in how he has spacers made and fitted if he doesn't want sheared wheel bolts/studs and then the wheel parting company at speed.

The wheel should be located on a spigot that forms part of the hub, as it will be as originally fitted on the car by the manufacturer. If you are making spacers, the spacer needs to be bored with a female spigot housing on its inside face that has a tight fit to the hub spigot. In turn the spacer also needs to have a hub centric spigot machined on its outer face to locate snugly in the wheel centre.

Both female and male spigots on the spacer need to be exactly co-centric with each other, or it can set up a centrifugal imbalance which can be impossible to balance out, and be dangerous as it puts a lot of loading force on wheel bearings and ball joints.

ALL of the wheel bolt /stud clamping effort is designed to be only for that, in other words neither the studs/bolts or their cone shaped mating surfaces are designed to take any lateral shear force, the hub to wheel spigot should take care of that.

If you know all this already, my apologies.

yes Thanks David. I found that very interesting and informative.

Steve

Edited By Steven Vine on 28/11/2016 13:42:32

Thread: Suction Cup Adhesive
25/11/2016 09:19:26
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 25/11/2016 09:14:33:Posted by Steven Vine on 25/11/2016 09:00:44:

One ring short of an Olympics

Lol. laugh

25/11/2016 09:00:44

Gluing and marking the dashboard, it does not seem right to me. Lay the damn thing near the gear stick somewhere.
An Audi dealer i used to know told me they had to take back a car when the buyer could not keep up the payments. To their horror they found the buyer had screwed a crappy old bent up L bracket to the dash with two wood screws, and bent up some wire to make a cup holder! The car was brand new. It cost them a fair few bob to replace the dash.

Steve

Thread: Model Engine Maker
24/11/2016 17:48:40

It worked for a bit a couple of days ago for me, now too many processes again.
For what it is worth, here's a link to some tapatalk talk ....
**LINK**
Steve

Edited By Steven Vine on 24/11/2016 17:49:33

Thread: Heinz Beanz advert banned for health and safety reasons
23/11/2016 13:27:16
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/11/2016 12:37:10:

You got a much better response than me, Ady sad

**LINK**

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=113570&p=91

MichaelG.

Probably because Ady spelt it out in text and it was plain to see. I don't always have time to follow tons of links that are going to 'I don't know where'. smiley

Steve

23/11/2016 13:15:22
Posted by Nick_G on 23/11/2016 12:41:21:

Not related but similar mentality.

I see in the news that the fairytale Cinderella has been rewritten as it was considered sexist. laugh

Nick

The sad thing is that the people responsible for these changes take themselves seriously, and others do as well. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Steve

Thread: Bluetooth padlock
23/11/2016 13:00:47

If it is anything like the 'flakey' bluetooth communication between my PCs and bluetooth speakers etc, then that padlock will be staying locked. Bluetooth seems to want to work when it wants to, not when it should do. It seems to be even worse on Windows 10 (go figure that one). The amount of hours I've spent trying to get bluetooth devices to pair is embarrassing.

Steve

Thread: Heinz Beanz advert banned for health and safety reasons
23/11/2016 11:55:05

I'm sure Heinz don't mind. They won't be running the ad again. And this extra attention has given them some free nationwide advertising.

Steve

Edited By Steven Vine on 23/11/2016 11:55:32

Edited By Steven Vine on 23/11/2016 11:55:53

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
walker midge
rapid Direct
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest