By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steven Vine

Here is a list of all the postings Steven Vine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Propane bottle gauge.
08/01/2016 22:16:09

I use the small Primus 2000 size bottles a lot, and keep 2 of them. When one runs out I start using the full one and get the empty one filled up in the meantime. I weigh these small bottles on the kitchen scales and it is a good indicator of how much is left. Having a spare means I don't get caught out.

I have a larger 3.9kg bottle that I do not use much yet. I'll get a spare one when I start boiler making in earnest.

Steve

Thread: #*¥@₩£§ NVR switches!
18/12/2015 20:13:36

I hear you Vic.

On the Clarke CBS45MD saw I bought years ago, the first NVR lasted about 10 cuts. The second NVR lasted a week. There was a few choice words during that saga I can tell you. I ended up making my own switch out of a contactor and a few machined parts, and no problems since.

Steve

Thread: A request
18/12/2015 12:12:35

i expect written word and its rules will be subject to much change in the coming decades - ive noticed lately that quite a few tv programs flash up a box of txt on the screen as the actors are texting on their mobiles - which is teaching millions of people the NEW way of writing - personally I have dropped using apostrophes as I have come to learn that you do not need them as the context of the text implies the meaning - steve

Thread: Website is deformed on login page
11/12/2015 15:40:02

Perhaps BigAl can grab the source code for the webpage he is viewing and post it here in its entirety. (View Page Source or CtrlU etc)

We can then compare his source code (that has a possible problem) to another persons source code that has no problem.

Simplified. As I understand it (iirc), the code from a website is downloaded to a pc and arrives in the Document Object, whereupon the browser extracts the code and fixes up the display. (Ad blockers rewrite the code in the Document Object, thereby affecting the code and hence the display).

It would be interesting to see if there was any differences in the webpage source code that BigAl is seeing.

Steve

06/12/2015 23:37:44
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 06/12/2015 21:12:51:
Posted by Steven Vine on 06/12/2015 19:22:08:

Only the writers of these web pages can sort out the problem.

Not a trivial exercise when the site is generated using a huge commercial CMS shared across a dozen linked websites all using the same underlying code...

Neil

I hear you Neil. I deal with a fair few different Corporates; to get anything corrected in the software is nigh impossible in most cases.

Steve.

06/12/2015 19:57:47
Posted by BigAl on 06/12/2015 19:41:33:

Steven, thank you for confirming what I have suspected for some considerable time. It is just that I did not have the know how to prove my suspicions. I have written several sites as well as our club website, www.pembs-me.co.uk and have never been able to ensure that I coded it properly. (I always hand code).

Cheers
Alan

Hi Alan

I run mine by the W3c site. Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional**LINK**

That lets you know of any basic coding errors. If you straighten out any errors that that site find then you are on the right road.

You home page checks out fine. Kudosthumbs up

Steve

Edited By Steven Vine on 06/12/2015 20:00:00

Edited By Steven Vine on 06/12/2015 20:03:59

Edited By Steven Vine on 06/12/2015 20:10:03

Edited By Steven Vine on 06/12/2015 20:11:13

06/12/2015 19:22:08

Gentlemen

If you pass the Model Engineer URL to any of the 'checkers' on the internet you will see that the code that makes up the ME webpage is 'defective' in quite few places. As a programmer, I would first and foremost make sure that my code syntax was correct before I released it into the wilds of the internet. Making sure the code is 100% correct is indeed the place to start. Once the webpage code is correct then it should be safe to pass it on to a parser (such as IE, Firefox etc). The parsers will interpret the code and construct the webpage you see on the screen. The parsers are very forgiving of malformed webpage code and will display a webpage correctly in spite of the conflicting instructions a webpage could present. It is unfair to expect the parsers to deal with that kind of problem. As I say, if the webpage coding is correct then there should be no problems. It looks like it is not in this case.

Do a Google for 'website checkers', throw the Model Engineer URL at your chosen checker, and see what that tells you.

Only the writers of these web pages can sort out the problem.

Steve

Thread: Help I have an emergency
29/11/2015 19:00:36

It is opened now so it must be drunk. Keep your finger over the hole, don;t spill a drop. I'll be round in 30 minutes.smile p

Steve

Thread: Speed Control of Single Phase Motors
25/11/2015 13:22:51

Thought this might be of interest. I was looking around that other site (mem ahem) and came across a link to a CVT mod on a mill drill. There is a video on the Home page the link points to.

**LINK**

Steve

Edited By Steven Vine on 25/11/2015 13:24:11

Edited By Steven Vine on 25/11/2015 13:28:00

23/11/2015 19:16:46

Hi ChrisH

I keep seeing Variable Speed Pulley driver systems on the internet. I have no experience of them. Maybe that avenue could provide a solution?

Steve

Thread: Use By/ Best Before Dates
17/11/2015 17:13:54
Posted by LesR on 17/11/2015 13:40:30:

As to the reference to the beer line cleaning bottle, they are pressure vessels and require a date to show when they require replacing. This has been around since the Brewing Society introduced its Code of Practice around 1975

Les

Ah, thanks Les. That makes perfect sense now. I've been seeing these for years and have always been a little puzzled as to why.

Steve

17/11/2015 11:18:23

Just to bring things slightly back towards engineering ...

I valued some stock in a pub today. They use a tall plastic container as a water reservoir for when they clean the beer lines. The container had a BBE date on it! I presume the plastic must degrade over time.

Also, seeing as you noted a time, are you sure you are not looking at a production date. The machine dates are normally accompanied by a time. Best before and Use by dates generally don't show a time (though I stand to be corrected). Ah, scrub that. I see the date is 2017.

Steve

Edited By Steven Vine on 17/11/2015 11:23:49

Edited By Steven Vine on 17/11/2015 11:27:51

Thread: My little engine (continued)
14/11/2015 02:13:25

Julian

This is the second time the guy has acted like a child, and he is getting slagged off because of it. No one is slagging off his excellent build thread.

I drew up my armchair and have been doggedly following this build (and the other one) and feel a bit let done now (I was shocked by the stupidity of it all). Yeah, I got in this theatre for nothing and should not expect anything, but it is a bit of a let down aint it..

Yeah, he has a right to pull out (which he did), but there are adult ways of going about things.

Steve

Thread: Build threads.
14/11/2015 01:59:25

Posted by julian atkins on 14/11/2015 00:37:08:

i am reminded of a guy called Basil Heath on the Isle of Wight. he was very well off and in his extremely well equipped workshop were a collection of miniature locos he had bought. over the years i noticed the swarf on his lovely lathe was exactly the same. he never used the lathe or anything else. it was all for show!

There is nothing wrong in the guy not using what he owns. If he gets pleasure out of just owning it then so what?

Steve

Thread: New Engine from Stuart (reintroduced actually)
04/11/2015 06:31:25

It is £1200.

Edited By Steven Vine on 04/11/2015 06:31:51

Edited By Steven Vine on 04/11/2015 06:33:04

Thread: Maybe some people can add some notes about Tom's lathe
29/10/2015 23:37:09

Ah, the old Skoda jokes. That takes me back.

What do you call a Skoda parked at the top of a hill?

A miracle.

We used to slag them off badly in the 80's. Now I quite respect them (the advertising campaigns of more recent years have done their job on me).

Steve

Thread: The Ass is out of the stables
26/10/2015 15:21:25
Posted by Ady1 on 26/10/2015 15:02:03:

Breaking news:

Police raids today resulted in the confiscation of 50 super-adept lathes and the arrests of their owners who were all on a secret register of subversive lathe users which fell into the hands of the authorities...

Ady - 25 of them got off and had the lathes returned, as the owners could prove they were only being used as door stops. The other 25 got off because the police believed it was impossible to make anything on them.

Steve

Thread: veg oil/water in lathe.
24/10/2015 13:56:39

Now I'm waiting for the first 'chip' joke to appear thinking

Thread: Myford lathe values.
21/10/2015 22:02:16

There's nothing else for it ... you have to go round there and break his legssmiley

It's a misery when you are not paid your dues.

Steve

21/10/2015 19:01:22

If a company is trading and is not paying you then I have been told you can go for a Winding Up Petition. If they refuse to pay you then you can proceed to wind up their business. One website describes it as a nuclear guided missile. If it is, then it might be expensive to carry out.

https://www.gov.uk/wind-up-a-company-that-owes-you-money/overview

Steve

Edited By Steven Vine on 21/10/2015 19:13:46

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
rapid Direct
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest