By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Magnetism in Stainless steel
01/04/2020 09:39:22

Is aluminium a possibility, there are plenty of grades that are seawater corrosion resistant. Being light, a relatively heavy section could be used and most grades are cheap(ish). On completion could be anodised for further protection.

John

Thread: Lathe
01/04/2020 09:29:39

Ronen, once you have set the gear train to the finest feed as per your chart it remains at a constant ratio of feed to speed. The lowest I can get on my WM 250 for example is .07mm per rev, your lowest may be different but once set that's it. It doesn't matter what speed you run the lathe at the feed stays the same it just moves along quicker the higher the speed but the ratio of feed / spindle speed is fixed.

John

Edit: Typo

Edited By Journeyman on 01/04/2020 09:31:50

Thread: Carriage lock from bits and pieces
31/03/2020 20:12:18

Good job but does the bit sticking out not interfere with the tailstock if you need it up close?

John

Thread: Lathe
31/03/2020 12:39:09
Posted by Bo'sun on 31/03/2020 10:59:27:

If it's any help. my WM240 came set-up with 90T, 90T, 80T, 33T & 25T (+ 2x40T fixed) change gears for fine feed. I didn't know the WM240B came with a 3-way gear change.

Your right, the WM 240B doesn't have the extra lead screw gear change. My bad, sorry.

John

31/03/2020 10:39:16

The manual should have a chart like this

feedchart.jpg

Or indeed there is a chart affixed to the change gear cover that shows where each gear should be. The chart above is for the WM250 but yours will be very similar. Don't forget the 3-way gear change knob on the front which also needs to be set to its slowest range position C.

John

Thread: Coronavirus
31/03/2020 09:17:33
Posted by Martin Kyte on 30/03/2020 22:20:18:

I'd agree with Hopper

I can’t really see any reason why the stock market cannot be safely run. The entire operation is computerised and much of it is automated so no need for human contact. You may have no use for the stockmarket but your pension fund does.

Fortunately my pension doesn't rely on a fund of any type. I was really just saying that as the whole of the financial sector bears no relationship to reality and produces nothing but worry and therefore at this time could well be shut down.

The markets and traders seem to work on hearsay rather than facts broadly along the lines of:-

1. Company X didn't do well last week - that will be bad for business - we may be doomed.
  2. I heard on the grapevine that manufacturing is down - that will be the end of society as we know it - we are probably doomed.
  3. Rumour has it that the pound will fall - it's the end of civilisation - we are all doomed!

John

30/03/2020 15:58:26

Listening to the News I notice that the Stock Market is still operating. Surely this cannot be an "essential" business. After all a stock trader/dealer produces nothing, has nothing original to say and panics before the hat has been dropped. I certainly have no use whatsoever for the FTSE 100 or it's like at this time.

John

Thread: New design of mains plug?
30/03/2020 15:45:15

It's a BangGood special! I'd bin it...

John

Thread: Good reading from DYSON.
30/03/2020 14:06:35

Hope it's not like my vacuum cleaner then! All coloured plastic, doesn't suck very well and bits keep dropping off devil

John

Thread: A well known song change to suit today situation
29/03/2020 19:49:23

Got taken down. A copyright claim by "foundingfatherssing@gmail.com". Some people just have no sense of humour. sad

John

Thread: Coversion charts
29/03/2020 13:45:41

This too might be of use regarding various thread types. This information is from a now defunct website "Watchman" which fortunately has been archived on the Wayback Machine website. The original is a huge HTML table but also available as a spreadsheet. I have downloaded the spreadsheet and modified the layout slightly and made it available here for download along with a pdf version of the chart.

The download links are on my website *** Journeyman's Workshop *** spreadsheet or pdf format.

John

Thread: A well known song change to suit today situation
28/03/2020 16:44:38

Love it thumbs upface 6

John

Thread: Ron's Jowitt Popett Valve Engine
28/03/2020 09:40:53

The Webster is reported to be a good starter engine if you want to try a simple IC engine. Many build threads on HMEM, Brian Rupnow's is a good one to look at. There are metric drawings available ***HERE*** but they are simply a conversion of imperial measurements into the exact metric so I would think not particularly useful.

John

Edit: Typo

Edited By Journeyman on 28/03/2020 10:01:04

Thread: Pics
27/03/2020 13:24:02

How to post pics. *** THREAD ***

John

Thread: Warco wm250 with milling head attachment fitment question
27/03/2020 10:48:43

You have come out of that quite well then. A separate mill and lathe is definitely a better option than a combo. You will end up with basically the WM14 mill and the WM250 lathe, which is what I have had for a good number of years. For some more info on the machines have a look at mine on *** Journeyman's Workshop ***

John

Thread: Hi From Bavaria
27/03/2020 10:20:59

Welcome aboard, can't help with the chassis id but this is the right *** LINK ***  to the add

John

Edited By Journeyman on 27/03/2020 10:22:55

Thread: 4 Wire motor wiring
26/03/2020 16:57:07

This *** PAGE *** from Vintage Sewing Machines might help. The fat pin is the earth.

John

26/03/2020 15:48:16

Used to have one of these motors on a home built fretsaw. As far as I can remember the the 4 pins are linked to a foot pedal for speed control but no reverse. If possible you can turn the motor up the other way to achieve reverse on a permanent basis.

John

Thread: Coronavirus
24/03/2020 11:49:44

I wish I could deter this blighter who keeps digging in my flower pots (I laughingly call them flowerpots but its mainly weeds and left over geraniums)

fox2.jpg

From the CCTV at 04:00 a couple of days ago. Don't know what it's after but the holes are a good 150mm deep.

John

23/03/2020 13:28:16
Posted by Rockingdodge on 23/03/2020 13:22:23:

Just tried to book a slot on Morrisons and Sainsburys and non available so I guess it's defy the self isolation and risk getting the virus or starve to death, I wonder how many healthy families have done big shops and then taken up the delivery slots to keep topped up? I suddenly don't like this world we live in much crying

Roger

Same with Tesco, have shopped on-line for years. Now I will have to break the isolation and go to a store, it will take me hours to shop as I don't know where anything is and have to read labels carefully for dietary reasons. Great crying

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest