By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Alibre Design In Linux VirtualBox
29/12/2018 16:33:21

Details show thusly:

error3.jpg

I may have to look at an alternative virtual machine.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 29/12/2018 16:37:30

Edited By Journeyman on 29/12/2018 16:38:25

29/12/2018 16:06:14

Hi David, thanks for getting back to me.

Alibre is Design Expert v2018.2 build 19071

The Windows 7 guest machine has all the updates and service packs, so it is as up to date as Windows 7 will ever get. Guest additions is working and I have tweaked a few settings (not the right ones apparently) Also downloaded the MS DirectX package and installed that so that should all be there.

First error comes with start page:

error1.jpg

Second error comes when trying to start 2D sketch:

error2.jpg

I must admit I wasn't really expecting it to work but after much searching the interweb it would appear that some have got much older versions to run. I suspect that the virtual graphics card isn't up to the job.

Cheers

John

Edit: Typo

Edited By Journeyman on 29/12/2018 16:13:44

29/12/2018 14:49:16

I have used Alibre Design for many years, don't use it often so not an expert by any means. I have recently installed Linux Mint as I am weary of Windows 10 keep asking me to go online, login, use Skype and running updates when I am doing something else (despite updates being switched off) .

I have been trying to make Alibre work using Oracle VirtualBox running Windows 7 as a guest. I can get the Alibre GUI to load but as soon as I try to start a 2D sketch I get a long winded error message.

I wondered if anyone here had managed to get this combination of programs to work or could suggest where I should be tweaking things or perhaps state definitively that I am wasting my time!

Thanks, John

Thread: What is this machine?
21/12/2018 22:05:03
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 21/12/2018 21:29:32:

If anyone fancies a serious metalwork project, making a calculating machine would keep you busy for a weekend or two! The ultimate was the highly collectable Curta.

Does anyone make this kind of machine?

Dave

I don't know about making one from metal but there is a 3D printed version on *** Thingiverse ***

John

Thread: Mini-Lathe Repair
18/12/2018 11:23:21

Neil, 11tpi pipe thread apparently it's in this *** Practical Machinist thread ***

John

17/12/2018 15:25:28

Ron, you can apparently buy insert tooling for cutting these pulley profiles. Never tried one so don't know how easy to find or use. Found a link to an ISCAR Insert page.

John

Thread: Single point thread cutting
08/12/2018 10:24:46

This is an explanation I found that applies to my WM250 with a 3mm pitch leadscrew. It may may (or may not) make things a little clearer, the maths will need re-doing for the WM180 2mm pitch leadscrew:-

The screw-cutting thread indicator dial meshes with the leadscrew via a 30 tooth gear. To get the indicator dial to rotate once the carriage has to move 90mm (number of teeth x leadscrew pitch). Only those metric pitches that divide exactly into 90 will be able to use the dial when screw-cutting. Thus pitches of:-
0.5, 0.6, 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 and 3 will work, pitches of 0.7, 0.8 and 1.75 won′t work.
Replacing the 30 tooth gear with a 28 tooth gear would work for the missing pitches but not for all. With a 28 tooth gear the carriage has to move 84mm for a full turn of the indicator and 84 is divisible by 0.7, 0.8, and 1.75. So either change the gear, make an indicator that has both gears or just leave the leadscrew engaged and reverse the lathe.

Hope that helps

John

08/12/2018 08:54:01

Certain metric threads will not work with the indicator dial unless you change the gear that meshes with the leadscrew. Some lathes offer a set of three gears but not the Warco It is possible to make an indicator dial that has all three gears fitted and you select the one needed.

onlathe.jpg

Easier is to keep the half-nuts engaged all the time as Philip suggest above. If you make a flip-up tool holder the process is much easier. Notes on how I made mine here *** Flip-Up-Toolholder *** it is quite a simple and quick project.

John

Thread: Metal Shapers by Kay Fisher
05/12/2018 14:23:46

As Michael says. It is available in "epub" format which is the standard for most book readers ie Kindle. Apps are available for Android tablets and a good free reader / library program for PC is Calibre which works well.

John

Thread: Windows 10 again
01/12/2018 14:02:28
Posted by ega on 01/12/2018 11:01:15:

am I right in thinking that none of the above applies to a fibre phone connection eg Virgin?

Afraid not! The connection to the house from the Virgin cabinet is still in copper, two parts a co-axial cable for the TV/broadband and a standard telephone cable, the two cables are bonded together into a figure of 8 type which comes up the street to the house. Don't know about BT fibre to the premises though,

John

Edit: Typo

Edited By Journeyman on 01/12/2018 14:10:16

Thread: Workshop security - CCTV
29/11/2018 15:50:55
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 29/11/2018 10:13:41:

From personal experience CCTV provides bugger all deterrent.

Tony

High definition CCTV got me a new front wall when a Tesco delivery van collided with it. Sent a couple of stills to the claims department showing the van index plate at the moment of destruction and received an almost instant e-mail saying they would send someone round to measure up.

Worth having I think. If nothing else you can see what's happening outside without curtain twitchingwink

John

Thread: what Christmas present
05/11/2018 13:48:27

I'll go for enthusiasm and perseverance! (But a new 3D printer would go down well at the moment, mine is still in bits pending an upgrade)

John

Thread: A New Golden Age of Model Engineering Exhibitions
22/10/2018 11:33:18

Why not go the whole hog and make the show entirely on-line. A posh front end web-site to carry 3D images of exhibits and goods for sale. On-line voting for competition classes. Club stands could be built slowly through the year instead of in a big rush. Plenty of scope for individual entries with the added benefit that each entry could be fully documented and explained. A small fee to browse perhaps allowing prize money or goods for class winners.

Exhibits of course not limited to static images and could include video and drawings. Problem of course is the same as a "real" show, namely who is going to organise it and put the web-site together. Would probably come down to the media / publishing businesses to set up. Suppliers would be able to show a virtual lorry-load of equipment without the transport costs. Not quite sure how the on-line catering would workfrown

One day perhaps!

John

Edited By Journeyman on 22/10/2018 11:45:55

Thread: Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition
21/10/2018 16:01:18

Managed to visit on Sunday and despite getting stuck behind a very large tractor on the A423 got there in good time. No queue and about 6th through the door. Strange when the place is empty.

midlandmex2018.jpg

It didn't really get that much busier until midday but nevertheless much quieter than I remember on previous years. There were definitely fewer trade stands and the tent/extension part was very sparsely populated. A few regular clubs definitely absent. The model road vehicle rally was down to a mere 13 vehicles and apart from the train rides nothing else outside.. There were some interesting models but most I thought I had seen before and the competition display was very limited.

Apparently the previous 3 days were busier so if you want quiet next year then Sunday is the day to visit. I managed to get up close and personal with both the RDG and Tracy Tools stand I could examine their wares with space to spare which is most unusual!

I can see all these shows becoming "Online Events" sometime soon, sad but that is the way things seem to be moving.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 21/10/2018 16:02:56

Thread: Unknown Lathe
20/10/2018 14:37:57

A front view of the beast might help! It looks to be very short between centres, perhaps a special purpose device?

John

Thread: Boring head capacity
07/10/2018 10:13:30

If you use a boring head in the 2MT headstock spindle taper it will need a draw-bar otherwise you may find it coming loose.

John

Thread: Tom Senior Major milling machine ... gib or jib .. adjusting
29/09/2018 11:30:09

Can't help with the adjustment but the dictionary defines:-

Gib - A wood or metal bolt, wedge, or pin for holding part of a machine or structure in place, usually adjusted by a screw or key.

Jib - 1. A triangular staysail set forward of the mast. 2. The projecting arm of a crane.

Cheers

John

Thread: non slotted screws
29/09/2018 09:54:41

I would have thought that the lateral forces on the strakes together with the constant pounding would be likely to loosen the screws even if you did manage to get them reasonably tight! Another thought, the round head rivets on the inside of the wheel rim is a characteristic of most engines that I have seen, a plain rim might look a bit odd.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 29/09/2018 10:07:20

Thread: Problems with a breadmaker
28/09/2018 17:06:32

Neil, I'm afraid as a test that is unlikely to reveal anything. Coeliac Disease is very slow acting it takes months to destroy the lining of the gut and even longer for the gut to repair itself. Unfortunately the disease can be completely asymptomatic. Many people are only diagnosed after a very long period of time, I think 13years is the average, often being sent away by the GP having been told it is IBS.

Sorry you will have to take the test but don't avoid gluten prior to the test. With luck you will be clear, the genetic/family link is not particularly well researched at present.

Good luck

John

Thread: Engineering For the Tummy
26/09/2018 13:19:22

More cheese Gromit ?

morecheese.jpg

Nice work Joe.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowells
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest