By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MEX Photos for those that stayed home
19/09/2016 14:40:45

A few photos from my visit on Friday ** Here ** if anyone would like to see.

John

17/09/2016 14:39:30

Don't really see how you could avoid paying, there was a queue when I arrived which was a pretty good indication of where to part with the cash. No wonder it cost me £14 I was obviously paying for two people!. Excellent models, not convinced it is the right location. Seemed much smaller in scope than in previous years. Weather didn't help much and the M25 went into "car park mode" on the way home, just to round the day off nicely.

John

16/09/2016 17:15:38

Having just got back from MEX probably saying: "It's a bit dark in here , have you got a torch?"

John

Thread: Possible new ideas for Model Engineers' Workshop
07/09/2016 11:39:15

An article on the choice and use of insert (carbide) tooling. I find the huge choice available quite confusing and judging by the number of threads here that ask for advice, so do others. Something simple aimed at the novice which explains the number coding system. The choice of coated or uncoated, positive or negative rake, polished or otherwise simply explained would be useful. Guidance as to speeds and feeds for a selection of materials likewise would be good. Preferably with the whole lot in a table format that could be pinned to the workshop wall.

John

Thread: Amadeal Lathe
29/08/2016 19:30:09

Sorry Jim, don't know enough about brushless motors and controllers to make a recomendation. It does sound interesting from the article, although quite a lot of work getting all the parts wired up correctly. Might be worth doing a full costing excercise to compare . He makes it sound cheap in the article but the motor is £65 so + controller(ESC) + power supply + bracket + wire etc. It might not be that much cheaper.

Good luck

John

Thread: Tidal power getting going in the UK
29/08/2016 18:45:47

As you say Adrian, the technology has been around for rather a long time. The Swansea Bay scheme or even possibly the full Severn Barrier would be excellent projects. Better in my opinion than getting the French and Chinese to build Hinkley C using an as yet untried type of reactor, which will without doubt take twice as long as thought to build and cost four times as much as estimated.

The Government just need to make some sensible decisions (no hope there then) instead of holding endless investigations, committees and enquiries. While they are at it they could stop HS2 and spend that cash on tidal power schemes (another pig just flew past the window).

John

Thread: Retrieving a ball bearing from an oilway
29/08/2016 17:48:34

Drinking straw and suck. Don't swallow if it goes all the way!

John

Thread: Tidal power getting going in the UK
29/08/2016 17:07:14

As far as I can tell it does a bit of both depending on the state of the tide, according to this report by the British Hydropower Association. Still not bad considering how old it is.

John

29/08/2016 15:47:09

Just a bit behind the French who have had the La Rance tidal barrier generating power since 1966!

John

Thread: Amadeal Lathe
29/08/2016 15:22:56

Jim, how did you test the motor when removed from the lathe. Most of these motors are 180vDC if you just plugged it into the mains you may well have fried it! Hence the bang and blown fuses. The article you found on replacement motors uses a brushless DC motor and controller don't know anyone whos tried it.

I'd go with NJH despite the 6 month Guarantee, The sale of Goods Act says something different, ie fitness for purpose, that is where you claim should be pursued.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 29/08/2016 15:33:49

29/08/2016 14:10:41

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum. I would have thought, assuming the lathe was bought new, the first port of call would be Amadeal to sort it out under warranty. Are you sure it's the motor. The control board is pretty suspect on some of these lathes.

John

Thread: Levelling a lathe?
27/08/2016 16:20:17

Andrew, the concrete isn't necessary, it just makes it look pretty. I am not sure though whether you should install the cabinet/stand first and get that level and then add the lathe and do the parallel turning/levelling bit. Or if the whole job can be done in one go with the lathe already attached to it's stand. I think I probably lean towards a two phase operation!

Cheers John

27/08/2016 15:39:00

You could get some adjustable feet like these from Axminster:- ***LINK***

If you dont want the lathe moveable, sink 4 lengths of studding into the floor and use adhesive to fix them. Use a nut and washer below each foot and a nut and washer above each foot and adjust as required. You could then fill in the gap below each foot with a concrete mix to make a nice looking pad.

Screwfix do a selection of resin fix concrete anchors ***LINK*** which would serve a similar purpose.

Cheers John

Thread: Myford ML4 ?
27/08/2016 15:37:54

Sorry Entered In Wrong Thread

Edited By Journeyman on 27/08/2016 15:39:43

Thread: How to dismantle?
26/07/2016 13:15:14

It's a taper lock bush. It is missing the screws normally allen head grub screws. Two screws hold it on and the third is a jacking screw to remove it. See Fenner for more info.

John

Thread: warco lathe quick change
18/07/2016 10:07:45

I have had a QCTP on my WM 250 for several years. I find it to be very useful, tool changes are indeed quick and I find centre heights and location setting to be repeatable to a good degree. I have not noticed any added flexibility from the addition although I did beef up the mounting plate.

I chose to go with a wedge action Aloris style (AXA 100 size) toolpost. I would agree with others about not buying a set. 99% of the time I just use the standard tool holder. The knurling tool is useless although it does have a small tool slot in the rear. The boring bar holder is too big but if you were building something large it might be useful. With hindsight I would buy just the toolpost and a few standard holders to get going.

Study and measure the existing toolpost carefully. A new QCTP of whatever type is unlikely to be a straight bolt on! I put a couple of pages on my website about fitting the toolpost to my WM 250, including a spare cross-slide toolpost and a new four bolt clamp plate. See Journeymans Workshop - Fitting QCTP.

John

Thread: A New Scam
01/07/2016 16:17:56

Thanks for that, my language skills were not up to letting CustoJust know about the scam.

John

01/07/2016 15:18:48

Received an e-mail from Portugal today informing me that my WM250 lathe was for sale on a local auction website. Lo and behold there on CustoJusto.pt were several images of my lathe, lifted from my website, asking 1220 euro for it.

Not quite sure if the e-mail I received was from the seller and part of the scam or from a local Portugese model engineer who had visited my website. I have not replied just in case.

I assume someone is trying to pocket the cash without having anything to sell, I don't think it will affect me. Yet something else for web users to be aware of.

Should you happen to be in Portugal and looking for a lathe, mine is NOT for sale and I think the shipping would cost rather lot!

Just thought I would post this for information, if it is happening in Portugal I have no doubt is it happening here very much a case of buyer beware.

John

Thread: program for simple drawing
18/05/2016 10:46:25

Hi Niko

Depending on what you are using to write the article, there are simple drawing facilities in both Microsoft Office and Libre Office. Other than that you can make a drawing with Paint but not easily to scale.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 18/05/2016 10:47:04

Thread: Bedway vee angle
30/03/2016 11:31:26

The dowels are Loctited in, I thought they would develop flats with use being a lot softer than the bed. I had to "adjust" the vertical face of the clamp body to get a good 3-point fit.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest