By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread (2017)
27/05/2017 17:18:44

One of the two Worthington-Simpson triple expansion pumping engines at the Kempton Steam Museum. Well worth a visit but check the website to make sure the working engine is in steam when you go.

John

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
27/05/2017 17:05:13

Yes, I am glad not to be travelling today but it has advantages. Living about 6miles from Heathrow I was standing in the garden thinking "Where have all the planes gone?" Very quiet. Just the one very high con-trail. They can do this every weekend if they likesmiley

John

Thread: Acquiring a wedge type quick change toolpost
25/05/2017 16:42:36

Buying QCTP with set of 5 holders not necessarily a good idea some of the holders are not particularly useful I found. Unless you can get it with 5 standard tool holders.

John

Thread: Syil X4 bigger bed
24/05/2017 12:14:40

Tony a chunk of Eco-cast aluminium plate (ground both sides) 600mm x 200mm x 20mm £50 + VAT from Aluminium Warehouse. You do however have to add your own holes, still that's easy with CNCsmiley

John

24/05/2017 11:18:21

How about an aluminium tooling plate? 20 - 25mm thick, drill and tap pattern of fixing holes. Allow to overhang the end of the table by whatever you need. Underside of the overhang could be supported / stiffened by some bolt on beams. Pattern of holes can be what you need and probably as easy to use as T-slots. Think I saw a video of something similar being made on a Tormach for use on that mill.

John

Edit: Have a look ***HERE*** post No.16

Edited By Journeyman on 24/05/2017 11:25:59

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
21/05/2017 09:58:34
Posted by Neil Lickfold on 19/05/2017 23:07:27:

John, that flip up threader, how does it go on fine threads in Aluminium? Does it benefit from having some counter balance on the back behind the pivot point ?

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to document the process as well. I'm quite hopeless at documenting what I make. I just do it and take the odd picture of setups that were quite involved or innovative for me at the time.

Neil

I tried a thread M12 in aluminium, seems to work OK some very fine burrs on the edges of the thread but the tops haven't been rounded at all (I think metric threads should be flat). I ran a bit of green abrasive pad over it and all is good. I put a video on U-Tube, I'll see if it will embed below:-

Warning - The video is 5 minutes long very boring and the auto-focus didn't work very well but it does show how the toolholder works! I haven't got the top-slide on the lathe so I am feeding the tool straight in so not actually the best way to cut the thread. The nut fitted without using a die or chaser which is a result.

John

Edit: spelling

Edited By Journeyman on 21/05/2017 10:05:04

Thread: How many hours to make this ? 500+ ?
20/05/2017 10:11:00

They are made by Zoho International Artforms more examples here though the website has not been updated for ages.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 20/05/2017 10:12:37

20/05/2017 10:04:23
Posted by Neil Lickfold on 19/05/2017 23:07:27:

John, that flip up threader, how does it go on fine threads in Aluminium? Does it benefit from having some counter balance on the back behind the pivot point ?

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to document the process as well. I'm quite hopeless at documenting what I make. I just do it and take the odd picture of setups that were quite involved or innovative for me at the time.

Neil

To be honest I don't know, I only tested it on a 12mm steel bar with an M12 thread which was fine. I don't think a counterbalance would be a good idea as the tool might then not drop back down cleanly. You could of course manually flip it up at the end of a pass run the lathe back and manually drop the holder back down. You could add a small handle somewhere to make this easier. There are a couple of links at the bottom of the article which show alternative versions with more pictures and even a video. Hope that helps a bit.

John

Thread: Warco Website 16 May 2017
19/05/2017 12:22:05

The new website looks good and is faster than the old one. Works for me in Firefox and seems OK in Edge.

John

Thread: Engineers blue alternatives
19/05/2017 11:33:40
Posted by petro1head on 19/05/2017 11:24:56:
Posted by Hopper on 19/05/2017 11:04:38:

As someone mentioned, there is a spray can layout blue dye called Dykem that is widely available. Google Dykem layout fluid and you should find it locally.

Really, hmm, I challenge you to find some spray available in the UK

You could try Amazon ***LINK*** £15.65

John

19/05/2017 11:20:31

I just use one of these:-

blue.jpg

WH Smith permanent marker, blue, black, red etc.

John

Thread: Is Knurling a health hazard?
19/05/2017 11:08:37
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 18/05/2017 19:11:11:

Also, 'Catio', an enclosed area outside a house for pet cats. Articles on Catio building would surely be most welcome in MEW Magazine...

Dave

Well who'd of thought it:

catioplan.jpg

You can get your very own plan ***HERE***

John

Thread: My models and our workshop
17/05/2017 18:23:33

Very nicely done William. You must have much better eyesight than me, I couldn't even see something that small to work on smiley

John

17/05/2017 18:05:49

Thanks Dave, as I said not an original idea of mine but quite an interesting and useful tool. J.S. of this parish has a version that uses one of the chasers out of a Coventry die head instead of an HSS bit.

John

17/05/2017 16:21:20

I was mostly writing a web page about making one of these:

onlathe.jpg

It's a flip-up toolholder for screw cutting. Saw it elsewhere on the web and thought I would have a go at my own version. More details ***HERE*** for anyone who would like more info.

John

Thread: Simple Cad Drawing start-up.....
13/05/2017 09:36:59

Clogs, all the CAD packages have a steep learning curve unfortunately. I currently use Geomagic Design (Alibre) which after a few years I can usually get to do what I want, it's not free though and the price has gone up quite a bit since I bought my copy. I have tried TurboCAD and found it to be unuseable, it doesn't work like any of the "standard" CAD programs. Draftsight is good for 2D and free, FreeCAD is a bit odd in my view.

For full 3D Fusion360 would take some beating. It is free (for hobby use) works on Windows or iMac and there are loads of very good tutorials on the web. It will still take a long time to learn but the results are worthwhile.

There is also Onshape which is browser based and free but I only tried it briefly and found it too dissimilar to what I am used to.

Good Luck with your quest, but remember whatever you choose there is a steep and long learning curve.

John

Edit: Spelling

Edited By Journeyman on 13/05/2017 09:44:27

Thread: Quick Change Tool Post WM280
11/05/2017 18:08:57

Chris, the WM280 is just a bit bigger 5.5" centre height to the WM250's 5" (280mm swing -v- 250mm swing) as far as I know. Went to check on WARCO's site and it's down for maintenance!

John

11/05/2017 17:09:30

I think you might need the larger model 100 version, check centre heights and maximum tool size etc. I have the model 100 on my WM 250 and your lathe is a bit bigger than mine. Also consider not getting the set, not all the tool holders are useful. Better just to buy the post and a load of standard holders. Ketan might do you a deal!

John

11/05/2017 14:39:46

That sounds promising if all you have left is a hole and a flat top to the top-slide, sounds like all you need to do is make a new stud to fit both the top-slide and the tool-post that you choosesmiley

John

11/05/2017 14:05:54

Chris, have a look here to see my version of fitting a QCTP to a WM250 I turned down the boss but there may be other ways of doing it. Some people have just machined the boss off on the mill.

Edit: the stud is pressed in with a roll pin to prevent it turning, it is only a light press fit so can be easity pushed out. There is a picture on the above link (No 26 on the second page) just shows the stud not the getting it out which is in the text.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 11/05/2017 14:09:19

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest