By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Memlo lamp transformer/switch
17/05/2020 10:09:53

A quick search on-line reveals that Memlite made many different models from desk lamps to machine lights. Some would appear to be low voltage driven from a transformer bolted to the wall others for mains use. So the answer to the original question is perhaps! Without knowing the model etc would be difficult to say. Might be 240v to transformer might be 110v or possibly mains. They do however fetch good prices on the 2nd hand up-cycling market saw one listed at £475!

Whatever it is it may well need re-wiring if of vintage origin. Perhaps sell it and buy a nice new LED onecheeky

John

Edited By Journeyman on 17/05/2020 10:11:09

Thread: Gifted a Bandsaw
17/05/2020 08:52:43

This one perchance?

bandsaw.jpg

Link *** HERE *** no longer available it says.

John

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
09/05/2020 16:52:57

Today I've mostly been painting the workshop with some red jollop.

shed090520.jpg

Somewhat akin to painting a sponge as I have not done it for a few years. Still should last another year or so now. Noticed that the T&G boards on the door have shrunk quite a bit and the door has bowed out, another job for another dayfrown

John

Thread: Where do you put your chuck key?
09/05/2020 11:33:25

Made this simple tray from a bit of MDF with drawer liner on the inside.

lathetray.jpg

Use at the headstock end for changing chucks or at the tailstock end for keeping rules, mikes, spanners etc. Sometimes even keep the chuck keys there although they normally reside on the headstock tray.

John

Thread: Stepper Motor Flexible Coupling.
08/05/2020 21:04:25

Thanks, no original thinking by me. Based on Carl Wilson's article in MEW 249. Works well although I haven't used it much.

John

08/05/2020 20:49:32

That's exactly what I did, used the same coupling see Journeyman's Workshop

John

08/05/2020 20:08:35

Amazon, where else?

John

Thread: Blot On The Landscape
07/05/2020 17:03:45

I know this post is a little long in the tooth but I was out again today on the trusty velocipede and rode past this:-

hs2southportal.jpg

This truly is HS2 works under way for the construction of the South Portal to the Chiltern Tunnel. The site is MUCH larger than the one I erroneously started the thread with.

John

Thread: inland seagulls
29/04/2020 15:42:03
Posted by geoff walker 1 on 29/04/2020 14:20:12:

To add insult one, or more of them unloaded their bowels on my freshly leathered MR2. Unfortunately I didn't have a shotgun handy or I would blasted him all the way back to the coast.

Good job you couldn't blast it. For some unknown reason all gulls are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. My opinion is that they should be classified as vermin and removed accordingly!

John

Thread: Facebook Location Problem
29/04/2020 14:48:33

I don't use Facebook but might hazard a guess you have managed to log in or create a page as though you were based in the US. If you log in from the UK you should end up with an address in the browser box someting like:-

https://en-gb.facebook.com/

Don't know how you would change it once an account is created though. This page might help:-

Facebook Location

John

Edited By Journeyman on 29/04/2020 14:51:39

Thread: Delrin adhesive type.
29/04/2020 09:35:09

Would it be possible to press the nut in hot? Delrin melts at quite a low temperature and hot forming is used to make leadscrew nuts which are then a perfect fit for the screw. It depends rather as to whether the delrin tube is pre-existing or can be manufactured. With a hole smaller than the nut, the nut could be heated and pressed in forming an exact mechanical match. To stop the nut exiting a slightly larger disc could be heated to deform more plastic over the top of the nut. It may even be possible to make the nut/delrin as an insert and heat or friction weld it into the tube.

John

Edit: Add link

Edited By Journeyman on 29/04/2020 09:39:59

Thread: Garden Spray Head Nozzle
28/04/2020 13:55:09

Ah, missed that, sorry, looked at the picture which is similar to mine and thought it was all plastic.

John

Thread: Lathe newbie in East Midlands
28/04/2020 10:59:38

Posted by David George 1 on 28/04/2020 10:56:58:

... There are quite a lot of vintage motorcyclists on here. ...

David

Is that motorcyclists with vintage bikes or really old motorcyclists? I guess on this forum possibly bothwink

John

Edited By Journeyman on 28/04/2020 11:06:48

Thread: Garden Spray Head Nozzle
28/04/2020 10:56:26

Whilst the metal detector might make an interesting project it is unlikely to find the spray nozzle as it will be plastic! Try looking *** HERE *** for some ideas. Might be able to re-engineer the end of a domestic cleaner spray bottle.

John

Thread: Old steam boiler
26/04/2020 16:52:39

Well this it what it should look like:-

mamod.jpg

A Mamod SE3 twin. normally filled by removing the safety valve. I think the plug on the boiler end is removed to act as an overflow to prevent over filling.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 26/04/2020 16:55:51

Thread: Blot On The Landscape
26/04/2020 09:30:10

Oh dear. I must apologise to readers of this thread for posting "fake news". The image in the first post has, I'm afraid, nothing to do with HS2. An error on my part as my unerring sense of direction had indeed erred and trying to verify that the site was part of the HS2 project, the remaining aged brain cell misread Hollow Hill Lane (where there will indeed be an HS2 compound) for Hollybush Lane (where the picture was taken).

The scene of devastation is in fact being carried out for a good reason. It is remedial work to properly cap an old landfill site, active from 1950 to 1990, where the site was badly run and the covering has failed allowing the content to come to the surface. The current scheme aims to cover the old tip with some 2m of inert material mainly chalk and clay. Re-contour the land, install proper drainage and return the land to agricultural use. Protection of the 3 nearby SSSI's is written into the planning consent, which document I eventually found.

My apologies once again for the duff info but the ensuing discussion regarding the merits or otherwise of HS2 was very interesting. In mitigation, it may even be the case that some of the tunnelling spoil from HS2 gets used at this site in the future.

John

25/04/2020 11:44:29

The Luddites are still about but now we call them Unionssmiley

John

25/04/2020 10:47:12

Posted by Andrew Evans on 25/04/2020 10:14:22:

... On this forum we often complain about the lack of engineering now in this country but this sort of massive project is just the sort of thing that can disprove that. John's initial post and photo shows what sites will look like during construction but I think the plan is to replant all this after its built so it is a temporary eyesore...

It was indeed a bit of a shock stumbling into this huge embryo construction site. What also surprised me was the distance it was away from the actual HS2 line. The line at Denham / Harefield is elevated above old gravel workings, now large lakes, and a suitable site for construction equipment would indeed be limited. I found the local South Bucks District Context Report just to check that this was in fact part of the HS2 project. It makes interesting reading and shows the scope of construction works and mentions in passing things like re-siting electricity substations, water pumping stations and re-routing the River Colne.

The document also manages to sneak in some information about re-siting the Heathrow Express Depot from Old Oak Common to Iver, very local to me, which is all part of the HS2 scheme.

With HS2, The Heathrow Express Depot and the third runway at Heathrow all within a few miles I am feeling oppressed. I will have to get a larger "Nimby Hat"

John

24/04/2020 16:08:46
Posted by KWIL on 24/04/2020 15:48:23:

How would you upgrade existing routes using the same tracks? Longer trains, faster trains, more trains,merely slow down the network due to safety spacing.

Yes and straighten out some of the bends, improve signalling, electrification, better timetabling, improve point layout, double up on tracks where space permits. Probably a lot more simple stuff like developing a decent leaf-blower, better station facilities. I am sure the railway buffs on here can think of many more small improvements.

John

24/04/2020 14:06:57

The question being, is it really progress? I can't help thinking that a fraction of the cash could have been used to upgrade what is already there and provide similar benefits. The railways need a lot of work to make them viable again. A few years ago I found it was cheaper to fly to Manchester rather than take a train! I doubt whether the pricing structure has improved.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest