By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Single point threading
08/06/2020 10:16:41

Ah! That makes sense. If you want a good photo editor try *** GIMP *** it is free and works on most platforms. Does everything that Photoshop can do but a bit of a steep learning curve beyond the basics.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 08/06/2020 10:19:14

08/06/2020 09:17:28
Posted by Jed Martens on 07/06/2020 16:55:46:

Anyway, it attaches to the end of my aero-bars on my bike to hold my phone...

Jed, what holds the phone in (is there a layer of double-sided tape devil) If that was on my bike the first bump and the phone would be long gone!

John

Thread: Mr. Bazeley's' rotating pendulum clock
05/06/2020 10:05:50

Possibly *** THIS ***

John

Thread: Macro-photography
04/06/2020 09:48:14

Thanks Nick, tried that until arms got tired holding phone at eye level. Unfortunately no joy. Will keep trying, I don't think my vari-focal glasses help much. Cheers

John

04/06/2020 09:11:19

Perhaps it's just me but no matter how I look at the stereo images or for how long, they just remain as a pair of imagesfrown

John

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
03/06/2020 14:39:16
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 01/06/2020 14:12:29:

I've just sent a message to Renault UK, asking two simple questions:

- Does my edition of the Kangoo have this Cabin Filter?

- If so, where, please, and is it something I can replace myself?

This might help *** Kangoo Cabin Filter ***

John

Thread: Belt Up
02/06/2020 16:35:48

Well, I put a straight edge on the roller pictured above - definitely flat although it does taper by about .3mm from one end to the other. The drive roller at the other end has though got what could be described as tapered ends so not quite crowned but almost!

John

02/06/2020 09:48:27
Posted by Mike London on 02/06/2020 09:30:06:

If you look at any belt sander / linisher you will see a crowned pulley...

Only if it is a good quality one! Mine definitely hasn't:-

roller.jpg

In fact the whole thing is a lesson in mediocre engineering (see my review BDS 460 Belt Sander).

John

Thread: Belt problems with an Alpine DM25
01/06/2020 14:00:55

Should be easy to adjust, very similar to my drill. Three pulley sets centre one on a pivoting arm and the tension applied by sliding the motor back and forth.

dm25belt.jpg

The image on the inside of the lid shows how the belts fit on the stepped pulleys.

dm25mill.jpg

The lever to the right of the start switch pushes the motor back and forth. Shouldn't need different lengths as the belts are always on paired stepped pulleys so minimal change in length. Unless your machine has been altered in some way?

Update: you posted the image whilst I was typing - that front pulley looks very odd on all the similar machines I have seen the stepped pulleys have equal steps making length variation minimal. Only solution I can offer is to get a matched pair for the centre and front pulleys.

John

Note: liberated this image of DM25 from lathes.co.uk

Edited By Journeyman on 01/06/2020 14:03:19

Edited By Journeyman on 01/06/2020 14:09:08

Thread: Warco WM250 I have killed it
25/05/2020 20:04:25

On my 2007 version the fuse is at the back of the headstock opposite to the speed indicator. If the lathe is up against the wall it is unreachable. Newer models may well be different.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 25/05/2020 20:05:10

Thread: The sneering detractors
24/05/2020 13:21:17

One must ask... Is a "Sneering Detractor" akin to a " Vermicious Knid" ?

John

Thread: Source for wiper felt
24/05/2020 10:18:32

Don't know if this is any good for wiper felt but certainly works as felt pads for furniture feet and the like. About 6mm thick with self adhesive in one side. Easily cut to shape with sharp knife, is fairly hard (not like milliners felt) but haven't tested it for oil bearing/wiping qualities.

John

Thread: ER collet adapter
23/05/2020 12:01:41

Glad you got the problem sorted. Hope the "Mandrill" didn't get too stroppy:-

mandrill.jpg

They tend to get a bit grumpy cheeky. On the other hand a mandrel is usually OK with being used to support a job on the lathe or being hammered on! The lathe spindle on the other hand does not appreciate being used to form sheet metal but the spindle nose is quite alright about having chucks screwed to it.

( Apologies in advance for any distressed feelings but couldn't miss the photo opportunity! )

John

Thread: Send Them Packing
21/05/2020 16:30:47

Amazon at it's best! Ordered two items both arrived today packed separately. One the packing fitted the item exactly, the other - well - my pet hate slightly overpacked,. I mean just how much does it take to wrap up a potato peeler?

packing.jpg

Well according to Amazon it needs a cardboard box 400 x 300 x 100mm, about 3m of brown paper, A rigid cardboard A3 envelope and a plastic bag. I can cope with separate packages as the items probably came from different warehouses but what a waste for something so small, could just have travelled in the A3 envelope. <end moan>

John

20/05/2020 17:56:31
Posted by RAPHAEL VAL GOLEZ 1 on 20/05/2020 17:26:00:

I took some pictures via my phone camera. Could not upload it here as I realise it is in IMG not JPEG. How do I get to upload it here? Are all phone cameras IMG?

Raphael, my phone makes and stores images in .jpg format. The .img file suffix usually denotes a disc image file. iPhones apparently use .png. My guess would be that the phone image is being "translated" by some software on your PC (assuming you are using a PC to upload the image). I usually look at, resize, crop or otherwise edit my phone images using GIMP before using or uploading them. GIMP will happily deal with most image formats and is free software similar and as powerful as Photoshop.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 20/05/2020 17:59:11

20/05/2020 12:17:39

Raphael, modern phone cameras are very good, in fact often a major selling point. I am no photographer, strictly point and shoot but for anyone who can understand it (I can't) the exif data for the rose says:

size:4096 x 3072px, camera: Motorola g7, aperture: F1.8, shutter: 1/180 seconds, focal length: 4mm

Taken I would guess about 150 to 200mm away from the subject. I have cropped it slightly to remove some of the leafage! and centre the image. Biggest problem is that it is difficult to see the screen in bright sunshine and it's a bit hit and miss if the object is moving as there is some shutter delay and of course the phone throws a shadow if the light is behind you.

John

20/05/2020 10:23:59

Captured this on the phone whilst out riding the bike yesterday:-

rose.jpg

Rosa canina "Dog Rose" I believe.

John

Thread: Clubs during crisis
19/05/2020 09:47:36

Try this *** Recent Thread ***

John

Thread: Mill recomendations ?
19/05/2020 08:24:58

Might find some useful info on Journeyman's Workshop but no guarantee of enlightenment!

John

18/05/2020 12:06:18

Thought I would give the phone a try but difficult to see screen in the sun and tends to put the object you are trying to photograph in the shadow of the phone if you get too close!

bee.jpg

Still shows this little fellow has been busy this morning. He and his mates have been doing a great job pollinating the Pyracantha. Cropped and brightened a bit in the GIMP.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest