By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Waste PLA - Rafts, Supports etc
28/07/2020 11:43:29

PLA isn't that bio-degradable. I've made plastic clips that have been outside in the weather for a few years and show no sign of deterioration. Apparently it needs to be finely ground and mixed into soil to degrade, despite being made from basically corn starch. An interesting article on recycling PLA.

John

Thread: fitting wedge type qctp to Warco WM240
21/07/2020 11:50:49

You cannot machine out the bore of a wedge type tool-post, there is not enough meat on the central tube that holds it all together. The boss can be machined off or reduced in diameter to fit the tool-post. See Journeyman's Workshop for details of fitting wedge type tool-post to my WM250, it is over a couple of pages as it includes making a a toolpost mount for the cross-slide as well.

John

Thread: Myford Apron Dovetail Damage
15/07/2020 10:49:08

Perhaps fill the chip with one of the metal bearing epoxy fillers - JBweld or Devcon Steel for example. Then shape back to match original profile. May prevent the odd piece of swarf getting in there and causing damge.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 15/07/2020 10:49:28

Thread: Lamp Post Engine
08/07/2020 15:07:36

Info on preparation of articles for publication is *** HERE *** this is for MEW but presumably similar for ME.

John

Thread: Unable To Access MEW On Tablet
02/07/2020 11:59:42

The following received from Pocketmags which probably explains all:

"The apps were crashing due to a server issue which has now been resolved. Please try opening the app and it should open normally. If the problem persists, please re-install the app. Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused."

John

Thread: Which Milling machine and what is its footprint?
02/07/2020 08:51:46

This is my WM14 standing on a home built bench 520mm deep. There is about 110mm between the rear of the column and the wall but only 75mm from the chip tray to the wall.

wm14mill.jpg

Of course the main thing to allow for is the width. The table is only 400mm wide but needs at least 800mm to allow for full travel and the handle. For more info have a look at Journeyman's Workshop. There are a few pages on mills and benches there. Out of interest I trammed the tilting head true when I first got the mill and have never moved it since, as others have said it is much easier to tilt the work.

John

Thread: Unable To Access MEW On Tablet
01/07/2020 15:17:36

Well, deleted and re-installed again and everything now working. Very strange.

John

01/07/2020 14:21:53

Jason / Neil - thanks will contact PocketMags, will report back if anything interesting arises!

John

01/07/2020 13:31:06

Anyone else having difficulty accessing MEW digital via Android PocketMags App. Have tried on Android 7 on a tablet and Android 10 on phone but on both platforms just get 'App Keeps Closing' with a choice to close or report.

Can access via reader in Firefox so the account is still working. Have done the usual reload app and re-start but nothing changes. Don't know when this started but noticed last evening.

John

Thread: ISO Container for Workshop
30/06/2020 08:57:19

Containers Direct sell used and converted containers and have an interesting web-site.

John

Thread: WM250 Sticky Carriage
29/06/2020 09:42:51

Might be worth checking the rear gib strip that runs along the rear of the saddle and hooks under the bed to prevent saddle lift. Mine was loose perhaps yours is too tight. Held in place by 5 allen screws as I recall.

John

Thread: Installing a magnetic DRO on my VM32L
29/06/2020 09:06:06

I would have expected more aluminium in the kit! All the DRO's I have seen have aluminium carrier strips and covers and the magnetic strip is stuck onto an aluminium extrusion and not directly to the machine. This allows for fine tuning the alignment between the strip and the moving read head. I hasten to say that I have not got a DRO on my mill but have spent ages looking at shows and on-line working up to getting one.

John

Thread: Bedford Files
23/06/2020 09:14:43

The '3' possibly refers to the grade of file. This is from my website Journeyman's Workshop:-

"It is interesting, if not slightly confusing, that there are two different systems for grading files American and Swiss. American Pattern files are generally available in three grades of cut Bastard, Second Cut and Smooth. Swiss Pattern files, used in the main for smaller files, are available in seven cuts, 00 to the finest 6. The ranges overlap with Bastard≈00, Second Cut≈0 and Smooth≈2. The cut on American Pattern files also vary with length so a 14" Bastard file is coarser than a 8" Bastard file! "

John

Thread: Weeds in a 'lawn'
21/06/2020 11:09:10

Astro-turfdevil

John

Thread: Jacobs morse taper chuck.
18/06/2020 15:51:54

Yes, indeed it is but can apparently be used for the job in hand. Can't say I have ever used one though!

John

18/06/2020 15:15:48

Chuck wedges are designed to go between the chuck body and the ridge/collar on the arbor, they are not designed to remove the arbor from the spindle.

wedgechuck.jpg

In fact the splitting of chuck and arbor is probably better carried out away from the drill or mill.

There is also a circular wedge tool for the same job:-

wedgecircular.jpg

John

Edit: Add image

Edited By Journeyman on 18/06/2020 15:22:21

18/06/2020 13:07:59

Chuck removal wedges. Come in different sizes to match the JT taper:-

wedges.jpg

Either use hammer or squeeze in the vice. Used as a pair, fit between the back of the chuck and the collar on the arbor.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 18/06/2020 13:10:41

Thread: Material for a Chuck Backplate
17/06/2020 15:05:57

I can see no reason why a slice off a 5"dia EN1 steel bar should not suffice. The milled flats seem only to serve as a space for the cap screws to go so could be left off just making the backplate a little thicker which would then provide plenty of room for the counterbore. If the cap screw heads in the picture are getting in the way why not replace them with countersink ones?

John

Thread: record no 22 vice jaw replacement
15/06/2020 14:36:36

The Record No.22 is pretty much similar to my No.3 except it has a quick release. The hard jaws are just held in by 2 large countersunk screws. These are likely very tight, you need a large screwdriver if it doesn't fit the slots it will damage the screw head. If no suitable screwdriver use a short suitably sized bit of flat bar, put it the screw slot and just pinch up the vice to hold it in place then apply an adjustable spanner. I have replaced my jaws with aluminium. Every now and then I re-surface the jaws.

vice1.jpg

The old hard jaws can be seen on the vice slide. Aluminium is much less likely to mark work and seems to hold just as well as the vicious serrated originals. Can't say I recommend the swivel base don't think I have ever used it and it gets in the way of long bits held vertically.

This is a link to the re-furb of an old No.22 vice.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 15/06/2020 14:40:51

Thread: Hello from Leicester and what have I done wrong
11/06/2020 10:29:58

Don't know if it is just a photo effect but it doesn't look like the last gear in the train is actually on the leadscrew! (I'm sure it is though). My WM250 which has pretty much the same system looks like this. Last gear on the leadscrew is 80 tooth for the slowest feed.

changegears.jpg

The change gear diagram from the cover looks like this for the slow feeds. 'H' indicates a spacer though I have no idea what 'H' stands for.

changegear2.jpg

John

Edit: typo

Edited By Journeyman on 11/06/2020 10:36:02

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Warco
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest