By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can we have a really clear distinction between Silver Soldering and Brazing
22/01/2020 09:28:35

Well I wrote a bit about soldering, brazing and welding for my website. Not sure that it adds anything much to the discussion but there are pictures and links!

John

Thread: How to soften steel
19/01/2020 15:16:00

Image below might help:

latheaccs1.jpg

Live & dead centres are the same just that a live one can be soft whereas a dead one must be hard. The "live" bit is because it goes round as it is driven by the lathe spindle. The  revolving centre has inbuilt bearings which allow it to rotate when driven by the workpiece.

(Image is from my website Journeyman's Workshop might throw some light on things, there's a lathe glossary on there as well)

John

Edited By Journeyman on 19/01/2020 15:19:23

19/01/2020 11:50:08
Posted by Steviegtr on 19/01/2020 00:22:23:

... Oh & that live centre in the above picture is made of butter 1st time used yesterday & the point is kna--- all ready & no it was not bottomed out. Wonder where it was made. Sheffield ????

The centre shown in the picture could well be a "live" centre designed to go in the spindle and may therefore be soft. A centre in the tailstock is a dead centre and should be hardened and used with grease/tallow in the centre drilling. The other type of centre for the tailstock is a rotating centre.

So Live - spindle, dead - tailstock, rotating - tailstock.

John

Thread: Help with finding or making router duplicator
14/01/2020 16:41:33

The one in the Practical Mechanics link is from Clone Duplicators in the UK they seem to supply plans and kits for their creations.

John

14/01/2020 14:41:06

Bit more up-market perhaps but is this Popular Mechanics item of any use?

John

Thread: What toolpost for Chester DB7
13/01/2020 13:44:25

The thick square washer is certainly the easiest option providing that the tool-tip can go down to centre height.

John

13/01/2020 12:00:47

Mike, have a look here Journeyman's Workshop which describes fitting a wedge type tool-post to a WM25 lathe which is slightly larger than yours but from the same stable (Weiss). There are two pages which describe mods to the top-slide boss to take the new stud and tool-post, also details a new tool-post that fits on the cross-slide.

John

Thread: magic 127 TOOTH ?
12/01/2020 08:57:58

I think we should all work in the FFF System (Furlong, Firkin, Fortnight) would be much better than all this metric stuff cheeky

John

Thread: Myford ML7 clutch
11/01/2020 10:08:44
Posted by paul humphries on 11/01/2020 09:57:25:

Thanks Paul, I presumed that modern brushless motors were more tolerant of stop start but maybe not. I must admit the whole buying a lathe thing is quite stressful, especially at my sub £1000 budget. Decent ML10/ok ML7/new Chinese!!

Sorry Im going off topic but I think you have answered my question. Might give the ML7 a go.

Paul, make sure you check out the ML7 carefully before parting with cash. If possible see it running and working. If you are not sure what to look for try and find an "expert" to go with to look at the lathe. Many old Myfords have been nurtured equally many have been abused.

Brushless motors are essentially DC and use fancy electronics to make them go round. Not particularly comparable to an old single phase AC induction motor, which is also brushless, that uses just the mains 50Hz to cause rotation. If upgrading the motor the way to go is VFD and 3-phase motor but you are adding a few hundred quid to the bill but solves speed and clutch in one go (can of course be retro-fitted if the basic lathe is good).

John

Edit: Clarification

Edited By Journeyman on 11/01/2020 10:36:27

11/01/2020 09:46:08

Had an old ML7 without clutch for years with no problems. Purists will frown but you can use the belt change tension lever as quite an effective clutch, the belt slip doesn't seem to wear the belt unduly.

John

Thread: What toolpost for Chester DB7
10/01/2020 21:33:41

See recent post which covers similar. Not possible to bore out wedge type toolpost the boss on the topside will need modifying.

John

Thread: Swisstec machines from Pro Machine Tools
08/01/2020 15:52:52

Yes same as Weiss WM210V which sits between the WM180 and WM240 in Warco's range. The Pro Machine versions are a bit pricey compared to similar from Amadeal, Toolco, Chester, Warco and others who offer the badge engineered Weiss machines.

John

Thread: New legislation that could affect us all.
08/01/2020 15:08:25

How then does this affect the industrial size roll with the axis of rotation at 90deg to the wallquestion

Thread: Side milling varient.
08/01/2020 14:40:00

A side cutter or a side and face cutter can be used to cut a flat surface, make a slot, machine an edge or cut a side. Similarly and end mill or slot drill can be used to cut a flat surface, make a slot, machine an edge or cut a side. All these operations may be carried out on a vertical or horizontal mill. Side milling as such is not a term I have heard used.

Not that I am going to argue with Merriam-Webster about their definition but they make dictionaries not milling machinessmiley

John

Edited By Journeyman on 08/01/2020 14:45:36

08/01/2020 14:17:20

As Jason says a side cutter is something like this:

sidemill.jpg

Also referred to as a side and face cutter. Is used on a horizontal milling machine.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 08/01/2020 14:18:08

Thread: Swisstec machines from Pro Machine Tools
08/01/2020 12:41:12

Pro Machine Tools list a series of these machine *** LINK *** which are most likely made by Weiss in China. I doubt whether any of them have been anywhere near Switzerland. Interesting to note that the whole range appear to be out of stock for 2-3 months.

John

Thread: New legislation that could affect us all.
08/01/2020 11:04:00

I think it is all very inconvenient cheeky

Thread: Stirling Engine Requirements
07/01/2020 08:46:05

Small Stirling engines have a very low power output and require almost frictionless construction both in cylinder fit, bearings and in fact all moving parts. To answer your direct question the power cylinder fit should be both airtight and frictionless. The displacer however is a clearance fit in it's cylinder. Plenty of books about, search for James Rizzo or Roy Darlington both have written good books. Start with a stationary engine before trying a vehicle, getting enough power to drive something is a challenge. O-rings on any moving part will probably give too much friction.

I have made several engines with limited success one of my efforts on Journeyman's Workshop this is about the simplest and easiest engine to start with.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 07/01/2020 08:50:39

Thread: Looking to buy a better toolpost
06/01/2020 10:18:58

There is still about 10mm of top-slide casting left if the boss goes completely but I just reduced the boss diameter to match the stud. Also I used the original clamp lever rather than the nut provided with the tool-post so over clamping is unlikely as no spanner in use. I find the post shows no tendency to rotate even with a relatively light clamp pressure. Unlike Jason I tend to waste time altering things rather than making cracking good modelswink

John

06/01/2020 10:07:28
Posted by petro1head on 06/01/2020 09:59:47:I notice in your article there was no photo of the new tool post on the cross slide.

Did you find the 2nd page the photo is on there!

Check carefully with the larger 200 series that the tool-holders do not bottom out before the tool is on centre.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest