By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Replacement lathe lamp suggestions?
25/02/2021 15:55:40

Mentioned above but ** IKEA ** have a range od sensibly priced lamps that can be used as is or converted to suit.

John

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
25/02/2021 11:30:36

Find my printer useful for workshop improvements. Encouraged by Rod's Post in another thread I decided to re-light the workshop with LED tubes, something I have been meaning to do for ages. Designed brackets and covers using Alibre and printed in PETG.

brackets.jpg

Printing took some time as I replaced 6 old 4' fluorescent fittings, old and noisy, with new 5' LED tubes. So 6 long brackes for the wiring end, 6 short brackets and the matching long and short covers. You can buy batten holders for LEDS but they are pricey compared to a few metres of filament. The LED tubes are quite lightweight so the brackets are only 3mm thick and the covers 2mm.

I can now see what I'm doing in the workshop, downside is I can also see that it needs a good cleaning!

John

Thread: Forum update
24/02/2021 11:31:43
Posted by not done it yet on 24/02/2021 10:18:10:

Is there a re-vamp coming up. Missed that.

Yes, see this ** thread ** link to last page (it's quite long).

John

Thread: Warco GH 18 Milling Machine
23/02/2021 10:57:27

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 23/02/2021 10:48:17:

Some discussion in another recent thread about the electrical safety of VFDs. They're components, meant to be safely mounted in an earthed box, not free-standing or simply stuck on a wall. Partly electrical safety, partly the need to protect them from workshop dirt. I'd leave the VFD where it is.

Dave

Not entirely sure I agree with that. Surely if the item has control buttons and a display it is clearly designed to be mounted such that the buttons can be pressed and the display read, not locked away in a box.

John

Thread: Wheel for model jeep
21/02/2021 14:57:54

3D printed possibly, hard plastic for hubs and flexible for tyres. For ** Example ** I believe Neil has had some success in this area ** Thread **.

John

Thread: Storing tools in bisley drawers advice
21/02/2021 11:51:10

You can get drawer liners for Bisley from ** Ryman's ** There are also similar corrugated type liners about from various suppliers. You could even use a bit of the small profile corrugated roofing plastic cut to fit.

John

Thread: Confusing t-slot dimensions
21/02/2021 09:08:27

You can make T-nuts using the lathe, saves a lot of filing compared to normal rectangular ones!

t-nut.jpg

More detail ** HERE ** if required.

John

Thread: Skynet is Coming
20/02/2021 13:47:08
Posted by Dave Halford on 20/02/2021 11:57:01:

Does the Smart wifi appliance have a decent access code or is it a generic joke one if so it gives a hacker access to your home network.

Seems to use the machines serial number but everything connects through a 'cloud' somewhere. Don't trust clouds, they turn into rain!

Posted by Bazyle on 20/02/2021 13:37:45:

The coincidences of discussing something completely random and then being confronted with a connected advert". Sorry Mike I have unfortunately disproved this. I keep shouting "Beautiful Naked Ladies" but so far no connected adverts at all..

Amazon must be out of stockwink

John

20/02/2021 10:31:05
Posted by JasonB on 20/02/2021 10:12:46:

All very well if you are at home all day but what about those that go out to work. Fill it up before you leave home and then get your phone out before you leave work and set it to run. Low and behold it's is all washed dried and ready to come straight out of the machine when you arrive home.

skynet.jpg

Either that or the house has burnt downdevil

John

Edited By Journeyman on 20/02/2021 10:37:07

20/02/2021 09:26:05

Hopefully a non-political topic for discussion. Why does my tumble dryer need wi-fi? Just replaced my ancient non-efficient tumble dryer with a new one. It has wi-fi so that with the correct app I can control it from my phone.

Why does it need this superfluous level of control? I have to walk up to the dryer and open the door manually to put the washing in, oh and wile I am there I can press the button to start it. Likewise I have to open it manually to extract the hopefully dry washing. Surely controlling it by phone is entirely unnecessary given that the recommendation is not to leave tumble dryers running when the house is empty (fire risk). I suppose it could let me know when the load is dry but the house isn't that big and the beeper is quite loud!

On a similar vein my new electric toothbrush has BlueTooth. Again, why? As I have to pick the thing up to use it why on earth do I need to talk to it with my phone.

I am becoming worried that all these interconnected household appliances will conspire against me. Probably controlled by Amazon in the form of Alexa.

Skynet is coming - indeed it may already be here!

John

Thread: Looking to learn CAD
19/02/2021 11:16:14

My CAD tool of choice is Alibre, been using it for years. Not very good at it because I don't use it often enough. The Alibre Atom 3D referred to above might be a good choice, fitting between the seriously expensive paid for software and the 'free' software which may or may not remain free. Only drawback with many of these programs is they only work on Windows (how annoying is that) I think FreeCAD is one of the few exceptions.

standby19.jpg

One of my efforts with Alibre above, this is a drawing page created from the 3D model. I also use the 'stl' output option in Alibre for 3D printing, very useful.

John

Thread: What about a "like" button on the forum?
19/02/2021 08:29:05

When the forum software is upgraded to Invision in a few weeks time we shall see if a 'like' system is in place.

See this recent lengthy thread.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 19/02/2021 08:31:13

Thread: How Many People Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb on the Forum?
17/02/2021 13:24:43

I think the forum lightbulb should be changed to an LED wink

John

Edit: Jason got there before me!

Edited By Journeyman on 17/02/2021 13:29:06

Thread: Warco WM 18 vs GH 18 for CNC conversion
16/02/2021 19:55:52

Worth having a look at MyCNCuk quite a few wm18 conversions there.

John

Thread: Facebook's Portal & Privacy
15/02/2021 10:04:33

I have the Amazon equivalent - the Echo Show - which does similar things to the Portal but has been around a bit longer. The use of GUFW (Graphic Uncomplicated FireWall) can't hurt but the Portal will, as you suspect, try to steal data mainly things like address books and phone numbers which are already allowed within WhatsApp that it uses for communication. I am afraid we are fighting a bit of a losing battle against these internet giants. I have sold my soul to Amazon I fear they already knew a lot about me before I got the Echo Show as I had an account, probably even down to inside leg measurement as I bought trousers oncefrown I note that the Portal also uses Alexa so they have doubtless sold your data to Amazon already.

Good Luck

John

Thread: Plans for updating the archaic forum?
14/02/2021 14:39:44

The problem with catering for mobile use is, as you say, a narrow column width. This is usually OK with posts but the adverts either end up all at the bottom where there is no click through or between posts which creates a very poor experience for the user. Some forums, HMEM for example, turn off the adds between posts if you are logged in, a possible solution perhaps.

I thought that the RCME site and others linked to were quite acceptable, nothing that can't become familiar with a little use. Benefits of upgrade/change probably outweigh the drawbacks.

John

Thread: Winter Gloves ... any recommendations ?
14/02/2021 14:28:49

You could try a pair of ski gloves, look for the 'Thinsulate' trade mark. I use a pair for cycling and they seem to work well. Mitts would be better than gloves as less surface area to cool.

John

Thread: Covid test
13/02/2021 17:15:25
Posted by pgk pgk on 13/02/2021 17:03:58

... It;s suprising that all three vaccines have such high side effect incidences and more suprsing that the EUA sheets don't mention any preservatives or adjuvants (I bet there are) or type of tissue used for culture.

pgk

Well I thought the "contents" for the Oxford one were pretty well covered:

What COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca contains, One dose (0.5 ml) contains:
COVID-19 Vaccine (ChAdOx1-S* recombinant) 5 × 1010 viral particles *Recombinant, replication-deficient chimpanzee adenovirus vector encoding the SARS-CoV-2 Spike glycoprotein. Produced in genetically modified human embryonic kidney (HEK) 293 cells.
This product contains genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
The other excipients are L-histidine, L-histidine hydrochloride monohydrate, magnesium chloride hexahydrate, polysorbate 80, ethanol, sucrose, sodium chloride, disodium edetate dihydrate, water for injections.

John

13/02/2021 14:49:18
Posted by br on 13/02/2021 13:46:09:

This site can’t be reached

Getting this on all the links from pgk posting ?

Bill

Edited By br on 13/02/2021 13:47:35

That's because he posted a local link to his home machine.

The online links are:

AstraZenica PDF version

Pfizer BioNtech PDF

There is also an older post in similar vein.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 13/02/2021 14:51:53

Thread: Small Lathe Advice?
11/02/2021 10:15:50

A look at my website Journeyman's Workshop page on choosing a lathe might help a bit.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest