By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Metric micrometer what t buy?
16/11/2019 09:31:15

I picked up one of these Moore & Wright basic range (200 series) micrometers when at a show from Machine DRO.

mwmike.jpg

Current price is around £26.00 so quite affordable. All I can say is it works only odd thing to get used to is that the big blue collar on the barrel is the ratchet rather than the more usual small knob on the end. I must admit I find reading the metric mike more of a challenge than the imperial one. At least you don't have to keep putting batteries in it!

John

Thread: Warco WM 250 problem?
15/11/2019 11:59:03

Don't have this problem with mine as it is mounted on a very heavy bench. Definitely bolt the cabinet to the floor, lathes are inherently top-heavy and unstable added to which it will help to stiffen up the cabinet. As suggested above a couple of bits of 18mm ply or similar inside the cabinet will help. I used a couple of bits of DPC plastic under the feet of my lathe as washers. The whole sideways wobble it not helped by the fact that there is only a single line of mounting holes down the middle. This also makes any bed-twist removal difficult.

John

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
15/11/2019 08:25:30
Posted by Ron Laden on 15/11/2019 05:53:45:

... dropped it and I watched it bounce down 12 steps to the bottom. It was wrecked the screen was smashed and wouldn't work, I went back to 3 but I hadn't taken out any cover so had to buy a phone.

Ron, worth checking your household contents insurance, the phone may well be covered on that.

John

Thread: Warco WM 250 advice needed
13/11/2019 14:43:36

My elderly WM250 (c2007) is still going strong. The paper between the change wheels definitely help as does a good helping of grease. The leadscrew handwheel play is about the same on mine no way of easily reducing it without re-positioning the rack. Never found it to be a problem the handwheel dial is accurate provided you are always going in one direction, I find it quite easy to cut up to a shoulder at the desired length. Just wind the tool up to touch the work set the dial to 0 and then turn as required always cutting towards the headstock. The gear change knobs can be a bit sticky just ease the pressure off by moving the chuck by hand. Invest in some smooth face flange nuts for the chuck easier than playing with nuts and washers in the 12mm gap!

A few bits and pieces about my lathe here Journeyman's Workshop if you rummage about in the site map or menu there are a few pages to do with the lathe, some mods some hints & tips. Just be aware that your lathe will be a bit different, especially the drive train, as it's a good few years younger than mine.

John

Edit: Typo

Edited By Journeyman on 13/11/2019 14:46:50

Thread: Drilling big holes (in tiles)
09/11/2019 16:30:09

If you have a spare tile or can acquire one, perhaps give consideration to removing a whole tile and making a new tile sized access panel. Good chance of cracking a tile with a diamond hole saw especially if hand held and you are going in across two tiles in your picture so possibly more damage.

John

Thread: John Bogstandard's projects.
06/11/2019 18:08:00

Ian, I am afraid you have your Johns mixed up here!

John

06/11/2019 10:31:55

Ron, a bit of a convoluted solution:-

Right click on the image you want, in the dialogue box that comes up click "Copy Image Location"

Go to the address bar in your browser and paste this in should look something like this:-

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa102/bogstandard_photos/Later%20pics/Vicestraight01.jpg

edit the address to look like this:-

photobucket.com/albums/aa102/bogstandard_photos/Later%20pics/Vicestraight01.jpg

Click the go button and it should take you to the image in John's Photobucket album. Takes longer to explain than do

John

Thread: Stepper power for autofeed on lathe
20/10/2019 10:07:50

Must be an iPad thing all the images show for me (Linux Mint, Firefox).

John

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
20/10/2019 08:59:23

There were a few exhibits on the competition stand by Luke Mason made, according to the labels, at various ages. This is one, a nice little oscillating engine and boiler:-

luke12.jpg

Here's hoping he maintains the interest and goes on to great things.

John

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
17/10/2019 16:30:51

Just got back from my visit. Initial impression was "not quite as good as last year". It seemed to be very dark in the main hall which was somewhat reduced in size to allow for the lecture theatre in one corner. Some not previously seen stands, Eric's Railway Art being one and a lady in the corner making lace, can't quite reconcile that with model engineering.

Warco's large stand was replaced by Station Road Steam and Keith Robinson Engineering Tools, which I don't recall seeing before. A large display of Pullman Coaches also occupied the ex-Warco space although they were very good just one with a sign saying one of seven (not Seven of Nine) would have done.

pullman.jpg

They look better close up after someone remembered to switch the lights on.

pullmaninside.jpg

Outside was pretty empty as well as the Fosse Way Steamers hadn't quite all woken up, only about three engines when I first looked although there were apparently two dozen engines there.

A very good selection on the competition stand although again this was very poorly lit (perhaps it's just my eyes). The club stands were pretty much as last year with a good display all round.

On the catering front 0 out of 10 as the lady had forgotten to bring the gluten free bread so no "bacon butty" to get me going, good job I brought my own lunch.

John

Edit: Spelling

Edited By Journeyman on 17/10/2019 16:46:46

Thread: Surface Mount Switch
16/10/2019 10:14:38

Something like this on Amazon

nvrswitch.jpg

John

Edited By Journeyman on 16/10/2019 10:20:20

Thread: What is this called?
12/10/2019 11:11:54

Try a search on Espagnolette Bolts and the bit you are looking for is called a keep. Often referred to as espag locks.

John

Thread: Triangular Screws
07/10/2019 15:55:42

Apparently you can also get pentalobular screws. Wikipedia article which introduces the wonderful new (to me) word - lobulation.

John

Andrew beat me to it

Edited By Journeyman on 07/10/2019 15:56:34

Thread: Metrication of models
04/10/2019 16:41:29

Only three countries now use the imperial system, Liberia, Myanmar and of course the USA. The rest of the world uses the metric or SI system. You could of course declare independence and use the FFF (furlong/firkin/fortnight) system!

John

Thread: Fitzroy storm glass
04/09/2019 17:04:43

Don't know where you are situated but Amazon sell bio-ethanol and isopropyl alcohol. You may also find the bio-ethanol in garden centres.

John

Thread: Drawing
03/09/2019 11:48:58

You can get a bit bigger triangle by rotating it about one apex (not sure if that is the right term but one corner) , don't ask me how you would set it out except by trial and error.

David beat me to it!

John

Edited By Journeyman on 03/09/2019 11:49:43

Thread: Help choosing a Chinese lathe please
03/09/2019 11:38:25

A bit late joining this thread but there may be something of use on this page from my website - Journeyman's Workshop Start Model Engineering - Lathes

John

Thread: Stirling hot air engine.
09/08/2019 15:34:48

James Rizzo in his book "Modelling Stirling and Hot Air Engines" describes an interesting method of making a stainless steel displacer cylinder. The cylinder is relieved at the outer end so that the diameter is slightly larger than the cylinder bore using a V shaped boring bar. A plate the diameter of the relieved section has its edge finished to a V section rather than just parallel. The plate is a tight fit in the recess and is pushed in and the edge of the cylinder (tube) is gently hammered inwards to make the plate captive. The cylinder is filled overnight with a salt solution, just ordinary table salt, and apparently the tight fit and the slight chemical action seals the displacer end-cap in place.

Have not tried this method so cannot report on it's effectiveness.

John

Thread: 3 phase - radio puzzle
30/07/2019 09:24:52

For a non-technical solution you could try swapping the radios over. You probably can't hear the workshop one with the lathe running anyway. Sounds like the filter in the VFD might be faulty.

John

Thread: Up and over door seal
30/07/2019 09:09:11

I've got one of these on my door works but the threshold needs to be flat *** Screwfix *** you can also get a rubber strip that fixes to the floor and provides a stop for the door to butt up to. Loads on the interweb a quick Google will show plenty...

John

Edited By Journeyman on 30/07/2019 09:09:53

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest