By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fix my (new) Lathe
20/05/2022 13:26:30

Looks suspiciously similar to my ancient WM250 saddle clamp/guide. Have a look at this page on my website *** Journeyman's Workshop ***

John

Thread: Parallel Universe
07/04/2022 09:34:10

To quote Terry Pratchett:

"A lie can run round the world before the truth has got its boots on."

John

Thread: MEW, ME, RCM&E and Model Boats under new ownership.
05/04/2022 09:31:31

Agree wholeheartedly with John McNamara and Jason. New owner, new ideas, lets move into the 21st century. Just because we are, perhaps, modelling an 18th century machine doesn't mean we should use 18th century techniques.

I would like more perhaps on 3D printing in relation to both making items but also as to jigs and tooling to aid the production process. Printing metals can be done commercially how about developing this in the home workshop.

I would also support a change of name for MEW to promote the wider home workshop ethic. Not everyone builds models but there are plenty of people using machine tools with a vast range of interests.

New owner, new name, new era!

John

Thread: Cutting Carbon Fibre
03/04/2022 10:52:48

Many older batons, especially those for presentations, were made with a silver join which could be engraved.

baton.jpg

If the repair isn't as tidy as you would like a thin tube of suitable material could be fashioned to cover the join, could even be silver and engraved, very thin so no real weight.

John

Thread: Warco wm 250,cutting and motor problems
01/04/2022 18:28:48

Sam, it sounds as if your WM250 might be even older that my 2007 version. The lathe still works well although probably quite lightly used compared to some here. The DC motor does indeed run hot despite the fan, being tucked away at the base of the headstock there is little in the way of free air circulation, I considered fitting a computer style cooling fan to help but never got round to it. Where possible I keep my lathe in the low speed range so that it can run with higher motor speeds, this helps both for cooling and for power.

A few things I found which help rigidity:

• Check the rear saddle gib strip mine was loose on delivery, this stops the rear of the saddle lifting.
  • Check the guide blocks at the front of the saddle these will probably need fitting by filing, machining or rubbing on abrasive paper. Unfortunately not adjustable so it's a one way trip don't overdo it.
  • Check the cross-slide gib strip and adjust carefully. Stops side to side play and snatching.
  • Check the top-slide gib strip. If not in use clamp up with the allen head screw.
  • Adjust the change gears to ensure they are not too tight, use paper between the teeth.

I use a QCTP on mine without any problem but sounds as though yours might be a bit awry. I made a cross-slide toolpost to avoid any chance of play or rigidity problems from the top-slide.

As NDIY has kindly already given me a plug above here are some relevant links to my website:

WM250 review (this is a bit long in the tooth now) 4 pages
QCTP 1 - cross-slide toolpost
QCTP 2 - top-slide modes

There are a few other bits on the lathe, I will leave you to find your way around, hope it helps.

John

Thread: Large Scale Heat Pumps
20/03/2022 10:20:18

I thought this was quite an interesting article on the BBC News website *** Super Sized Heat Pumps *** An improvement on the Governments ideas about replacing domestic boilers with heat pumps. I was particularly impressed by the proposed use of old mine workings to provide the heat source.

John

Thread: HARLINGTON LOCOMOTIVE SOCIETY
14/03/2022 10:05:13

Cycled past their HQ a week ago and it seemed to be well cared for and usable. No one there during the week though. Their *** WEBSITE *** says they are going to be running during the Easter weekend.

John

Thread: Financial surnames
09/03/2022 09:47:29

Local Charted Accountants near me:-

Keen Dicey Grover

always amuses me as I pass their office.

John

Thread: Making a Carriage stop for a lathe
03/03/2022 09:38:58

This is my version for WM250

stopmme.jpg

Details of build *** HERE *** but no video!

John

Thread: Special M5 CSK screws
24/02/2022 19:14:59

You could try *** Accu *** they manufacture, mainly stainless will do specials but can't say as to order quantity required.

John

Thread: What are the yellow fittings please
23/02/2022 11:33:27

As we have drifted off-topic somewhat here are a few image for things in the centre of tracks:

varoskut.jpg

Track at Városkút on a line that meanders from Városmajor to Széchenyi-hegy in the Buda Hills, Budapest, Hungary. This is a rack railway and quite steep in places.

rack.jpg

Close-up of the rack.

racktrain.jpg

Somewhat fuzzy image of the train.

Link to a YouTube video

Link to Wikipedia page

John

Edit: Add Links

Edited By Journeyman on 23/02/2022 11:42:00

Thread: Doncaster Show.
23/02/2022 09:20:51

National Model Engineering and Modelling Exhibition at Doncaster is definitely NOT on in 2022.

See website for details **LINK**

John

Thread: Blocked Drain
21/02/2022 11:52:46

Re: above it is indeed a trap. A Push-Fit Single Socket Round Grid Bottle Gully 110mm. Manufacturers blurb says :- Bottle gully with circular lid. Designed to hold water to stop foul air escaping from the drainage system. Will accept waste water from kitchens, utility rooms and ground floor bathrooms, or rainwater from paved areas or roofs.

John

Edited By JasonB on 21/02/2022 18:34:40

21/02/2022 11:27:28

I think it is one of these:-

gully.jpg

A Push-Fit Single Socket Round Grid Bottle Gully 110mm. Manufacturers blurb says :- Bottle gully with circular lid. Designed to hold water to stop foul air escaping from the drainage system. Will accept waste water from kitchens, utility rooms and ground floor bathrooms, or rainwater from paved areas or roofs.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 21/02/2022 11:50:15

21/02/2022 11:15:54

I think it is just the top part of this:-

gully.jpg

Push-Fit Single Socket Round Grid Bottle Gully 110mm. Any trap would come after the outlet.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 21/02/2022 11:16:51

Edited By JasonB on 21/02/2022 18:34:29

Thread: Front door locks
19/02/2022 11:46:46

Had a key-safe at Mum's for years with no problems. Good quality safe fitted securely and out of sight if possible. As for Yale type have used these euro locks by ABS a cut above the average Yale for security but assumes a modern door. Used with thumb-turn on the inside (as fire Brigade recommended) avoids key on inside.

John

Thread: Tee slot clamps similar to mole grips
10/02/2022 09:52:27

There was a fairly recent thread on this topic:-

*** Drill Table Clamp ***

or a bit older 2018

*** Drill Table Clamps ***

John

Edited By Journeyman on 10/02/2022 09:56:54

Thread: 3D printer forums?
08/02/2022 10:52:37

I'll second Thomas Sanladerer his *** Utube channel *** is very informative.

John

08/02/2022 10:43:28

The *** Prusa Forum *** is quite informative if a little biased. The *** Cura / Ultimaker *** forum is similarly biased. *** All3DP *** is a useful info source. Haven't any knowledge of *** 3D Printing Forum *** might be worth a look

John

Edited By Journeyman on 08/02/2022 10:48:48

Thread: Beyond a mancave
08/02/2022 10:37:20
Posted by Robert Butler on 07/02/2022 23:09:25:

Gross!

Robert Butler

I'll second that.

He speaks of a traditional 9000 sq ft home set in 110 acres. The average UK home is 656 sq ft. Bourgeois extravagance at it's best (worse) I could think of better uses for the copious wealth.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest