By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wandering mill table
23/10/2021 10:38:12

From your photo it looks like the spring dowel or 'roll-pin' is in place.

rollpin.jpg

John

Thread: Ferrous, facing, HSS tool geometry
23/10/2021 10:12:54

Useful page on HSS lathe tool grinding on *** Steve's Workshop ***

I have always thought it odd that a tool that cuts towards the headstock is 'Right Hand' - it cuts from the right and a 'Left Hand' tool cuts from the left towards the tailstock. Seems contrary to me but...

John

Edited By Journeyman on 23/10/2021 10:18:15

Thread: Reproduction ivory look hand grips
14/10/2021 11:50:02

There are plenty of ivory substitutes about aka plastic. This was the first one I found *** LINK ***

John

Thread: Workshop lighting / energy costs
14/10/2021 11:21:53

Possibly a little confusion over ' What Watt' and decimal places. The original statement is correct (IMHO) the cost @ £0.15 per kWh is around £1185

whatwatt.jpg

John

14/10/2021 10:37:36
Posted by J Hancock on 14/10/2021 09:09:02:

News is Freightliner can't afford the bill anymore, so are going forward to use diesel motive power instead.

Fuel of the future.

rainbow.jpg

'Over the Rainbow or over and out, for now? Freightliner has grounded its fleet of class 90 electric locomotives due to steeply rising energy costs.'

Interesting thing economics! *** Link to article in RailFreight.com ***

John

Thread: photos
13/10/2021 11:20:00

Your 2nd photo has ended up on a separate thread. I'll include the cropped version. Perhaps one of the Mods will join the threads. (There are now 3 threads to join/edit)

facit2.jpg

John

Edited By Journeyman on 13/10/2021 11:27:58

13/10/2021 11:04:16

Looks similar to a 'Facit' that I used to use many years ago. cant read the name from the photo. I can recommend GIMP for photo editing, free and works in Windows, Linux etc.

facit.jpg

John

Thread: Hermes. A Company in Total Confusion!
12/10/2021 11:12:32

They do get it right sometimes! I have had two packages delivered by Hermes recently, both on time and within the 2 hour delivery slot. Not quite sure that the driver has got the idea of photographing the package with an open door.

hermes.jpg

Nice picture of my doormat though!

John

Thread: Rust Protection
07/10/2021 13:57:11

The best solution for rust prevention is to maintain constant environmental conditions. This can be achieved in a well insulated workshop with a modicum of background heating in the winter. Rapid temperature changes will encourage condensation on cold machinery.

My equipment Warco WM250 lathe and WM14 mill have been in my outside timber workshop for 14years and do not get any rust. No special treatment just ordinary oiling and no covers. Workshop is home-built has 2" rockwool in the walls and 4" in the roof. Background heating from a thermostatically controlled fan heater. Temperature maintained at about 10degC. When it gets cold RH remains at about 50%.

I should add that the workshop is multi-use and gets to store my bike even if it is wet from a ride so no special care taken to prevent moisture. I even have a sink and wash all sorts including hands. The 3D printer doesn't like it when it gets cold and I store filaments in a box with silica get to maintain 30-40% RH which is how I know that the overall workshopl RH is generally higher.

John

Edit: add para

Edited By Journeyman on 07/10/2021 14:06:24

Thread: Tool Chest
03/10/2021 11:07:27

Good video, not sure about shorts in the snow but what do I know. Useful wood from pallets if you are selective. Some of the pallets from further away are often from hardwood, unfortunately probably sourced from a cleared rain-forest

pens.jpg

The bottom pen is turned from a bit of pallet, absolutely no idea what wood but it turned quite nicely. The pen a the top is from Cocobola also turns nicely but you definitely need a mask when sanding.

John

Thread: Grinding tool bits
01/10/2021 11:36:55

Steve's Workshop has quite a useful page on ** HSS Tool Grinding ** plenty of useful pictures and diagrams.

John

Thread: What Material for this Application Please?
01/10/2021 09:51:45

Composite fence panel possibly see ** My Modern Garden **

Weathered steel ** Corten Garden Products ** from BuyMetalOnline.co.uk

Cheapest route would probably be to use a sheet of OSB and paint it! Should last 10 years or so.

John

Edit: add link

Edited By Journeyman on 01/10/2021 10:15:48

Thread: Indexing Plate
30/09/2021 10:42:36

Looking at the drawing (** LINK **) I get the impression that this isn't a particularly high-tech device. How about just making a second indexing arm pivoting on top of the original but with suitably different length and a slightly longer pin. In use it would be use arm 1, arm 2, etc. the difficult bit would be keeping the sequence.

John

Thread: Old rule divisions twelfs etc
28/09/2021 19:26:49
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 28/09/2021 19:04:55:

It's known as a scale rule.

Russell

Not necessarily: the image below shows a scale rule with a 1/8inch scale at the top and 1/4inch scale at the bottom. For comparison the lower part of the image shows a rule (an old school ruler) showing Twelfths.

scalerule.jpg

John

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
25/09/2021 16:14:12
Posted by Derek Lane on 25/09/2021 15:33:46:

Also the shelf above the lathe needs relocating as that has all my sharpening stones and the like on it. It will be put where my bench grinding is at. still moving things around and also wiring which needs some enclosure over them.

With the extra space in the corner you could make a wheeled storage unit similar to this:-

barstore.jpg

but I wouldn't particularly recommend the vertical bar storage, the short bits sink to the bottom and the long bits try to poke you in the eye whilst searching for the short bits!

John

25/09/2021 15:48:54

Jolly good, you will soon be able to enjoy. Worth spending that extra time to get everything 'just so' before you start as you will never get 'a round tuit' later. Once happy I would bolt the stands down to the floor. Makes for that extra little rigidity.

John

25/09/2021 14:21:55
Posted by Derek Lane on 25/09/2021 13:05:36:

Spent a couple of days getting the machines onto their stands securing them and then cleaning.

Nice new toys but I would have left a bit more room between them. You need easy access to the change wheels and to the right hand mill X handle.

John

Thread: Stuart engine paint colours
21/09/2021 14:20:43

I favour a dark maroon but this:-

stationary.jpg

could be good if just the right shade is chosen.

John

Thread: Screw cutting
20/09/2021 10:43:02

I find the 'straight in' feed the easiest to use and it always seems to work just adjust the amount of in-feed, less as the depth increases.

With a lathe such as yours where the lead-screw cannot be disengaged a flip-up tool holder can be useful:-

onlathe.jpg

See *** Flip-Up Tool holder *** for more details.

John

Thread: Old gear
20/09/2021 10:04:01

Definitely a 'keeper' don't use it for your first engine build but think 'Steam Punk' and it would make an interesting flywheel as is (bushed as necessary) for a home brew engine. Think positive, whatever the material it will machinable one way or another!

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
BOLDON
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest