By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A well known song change to suit today situation
28/03/2020 16:44:38

Love it thumbs upface 6

John

Thread: Ron's Jowitt Popett Valve Engine
28/03/2020 09:40:53

The Webster is reported to be a good starter engine if you want to try a simple IC engine. Many build threads on HMEM, Brian Rupnow's is a good one to look at. There are metric drawings available ***HERE*** but they are simply a conversion of imperial measurements into the exact metric so I would think not particularly useful.

John

Edit: Typo

Edited By Journeyman on 28/03/2020 10:01:04

Thread: Pics
27/03/2020 13:24:02

How to post pics. *** THREAD ***

John

Thread: Warco wm250 with milling head attachment fitment question
27/03/2020 10:48:43

You have come out of that quite well then. A separate mill and lathe is definitely a better option than a combo. You will end up with basically the WM14 mill and the WM250 lathe, which is what I have had for a good number of years. For some more info on the machines have a look at mine on *** Journeyman's Workshop ***

John

Thread: Hi From Bavaria
27/03/2020 10:20:59

Welcome aboard, can't help with the chassis id but this is the right *** LINK ***  to the add

John

Edited By Journeyman on 27/03/2020 10:22:55

Thread: 4 Wire motor wiring
26/03/2020 16:57:07

This *** PAGE *** from Vintage Sewing Machines might help. The fat pin is the earth.

John

26/03/2020 15:48:16

Used to have one of these motors on a home built fretsaw. As far as I can remember the the 4 pins are linked to a foot pedal for speed control but no reverse. If possible you can turn the motor up the other way to achieve reverse on a permanent basis.

John

Thread: Coronavirus
24/03/2020 11:49:44

I wish I could deter this blighter who keeps digging in my flower pots (I laughingly call them flowerpots but its mainly weeds and left over geraniums)

fox2.jpg

From the CCTV at 04:00 a couple of days ago. Don't know what it's after but the holes are a good 150mm deep.

John

23/03/2020 13:28:16
Posted by Rockingdodge on 23/03/2020 13:22:23:

Just tried to book a slot on Morrisons and Sainsburys and non available so I guess it's defy the self isolation and risk getting the virus or starve to death, I wonder how many healthy families have done big shops and then taken up the delivery slots to keep topped up? I suddenly don't like this world we live in much crying

Roger

Same with Tesco, have shopped on-line for years. Now I will have to break the isolation and go to a store, it will take me hours to shop as I don't know where anything is and have to read labels carefully for dietary reasons. Great crying

John

Thread: Industrial Milling Machine
23/03/2020 10:55:50

3 cubic metres isn't that big (as opposed to a 3m cube) A Bridgeport or similar would need more space about 1.5wide x 1deep x 2high and thats not really allowing for table movement or access. Need to find out what it is then more advice will be forthcoming.

John

Thread: What are you reading?
21/03/2020 10:31:01

If you use Calibre as mentioned above you can download a book from your Kindle or other device and save it locally so licensing and Amazon not being available can be circumvented.

John

21/03/2020 09:59:32

A useful program for e-book management is Calibre which is free on Windows, Mac, Linux. Catalogues and stores and can convert all the various formats into whatever you need. Works with Kindle and other readers. Loads of free resources on line although some of them like Free E book.net keep sending e-mails!

John

Thread: Coronavirus
21/03/2020 08:49:32

Being a lazy old whatsit I get my groceries delivered by Tesco. Tried to book a slot today for delivery and the earliest I can get is 15th April. Presumably I shall have to starve or break the Governments "social distancing" advice. Can't even book click and collect as these are all booked as well!

John

Thread: Warco WM280V-F Gearbox
15/03/2020 11:29:29
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 15/03/2020 11:19:07:

PS. Reading the Manual reminded me I really must do an oil change. blush

If the WM280/290 gearbox is similar to the WM250 the biggest problem with an oil change is getting the oil out as the drain plug is half way up the left hand side behind the change gears. So to empty it completely you either need a sucker or take the front off which is messy. I fitted an extra drain plug on mine behind the aluminium front plate *** LINK *** which is much closer to the bottom of the box.

John

15/03/2020 10:50:07

Yes, a bit wider with the 3 extra gears on the right to select either the lead screw or feed shaft and of course an extra knob and selector arm.

John

15/03/2020 09:43:35

The gearbox is fairly rudimentary, if the gears aren't meshing correctly as far as I can tell the only adjustment is by altering the position of the gear-change knobs on their shafts. The location of the gear-change arm and the U-shaped fork is as far as I can tell simply held in place by the ball bearing detent on the underside of the knob.

wm250gbox.jpg

Inside the gearbox, left is the reverse and right the 3 speed ranges

wm250gblid.jpg

Inside of the lid with actuator and U-shaped forks that sit around the gear.

Problem is you cant see anything to check the alignment once you put the lid back on! The pictures are of theWM250 but the 280 is probably pretty similar.

John

Thread: Warco wm 250
14/03/2020 14:40:23

See WM250 Maintenance on my website. I'm afraid that it doesn't help much with the apron oil change as my WM250 hasn't got power cross-feed. I have heard some say that the apron doesn't need an oil change, just regular topping up, as it usually leaks like a sieve!

John

Edited By Journeyman on 14/03/2020 15:08:21

Thread: Finally got the milling machine home.
13/03/2020 19:45:43

That disproves my theory, although I have only ever tried it using ordinary taps where it is one turn forward and half a turn back.

John

13/03/2020 15:59:33
Posted by JasonB on 13/03/2020 13:27:08:
... Funny enough I was watching a Hass video last night and they said that on average a keyless chuck was at least twice as accurate as a keyed one with regards to runout assuming similar quality chucks which may determine which one is best to use on the mill.

Slight drawback with keyless chuck is that you can't use them to hold taps as they come loose when you back the tap up! For everything else they are great and muck easier than the keyed variety.

John

Edit: Typo

Edited By Journeyman on 13/03/2020 16:03:48

13/03/2020 10:43:16

You can of course always hold drills in the ER collet chuck, saves keep changing chucks!

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest