By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How can I change colours in a jpeg?
21/04/2019 19:23:20

There is an option to combine all the windows into just one, I find it makes things a bit easier.

John

21/04/2019 18:18:46

You could do worse than install the GIMP free and available for all platforms. As powerful as Photoshop but a steepish learning curve.

John

Thread: LED light array
08/04/2019 18:04:03

If the light was flashing it is likely that the driver circuitry has ceased to work

John

Thread: Warco wm18
04/04/2019 13:57:41

This would appear to be exactly the same topic/thread as this ***THREAD*** perhaps the moderators could concatenate them.

John

Thread: War o wm18
04/04/2019 08:55:21

Why bother with the drill chuck at all. I nearly always use the drill bit directly in my ER collets. Works for me, saves changing chucks and gives a bit more headroom. I don't know if it is an "approved" method but can't see any drawbacks.

John

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
23/02/2019 11:56:50

From the error message it seems like you have selected Extrude Cut rather than Extrude Boss

John

Thread: Curious coating
22/02/2019 11:40:54

Looks similar to Sherardized steel. The finish is hard but whether hard enough to damage the tool I don't know. I would have thought that the tool would have got below the surface and removed it in the first cut.

Can't imagine titanium being used in conveyor systems, a bit pricey, unless very specialized!

More on *** Sherardizing *** here

John

Thread: Alloa
22/02/2019 09:07:53

Wasn't quite sure where to put this but there is an interesting article on the ***BBC News Website*** about the building of this model railway layout. Thought it might be of interest.

John

Thread: Hi from Cheltenham
16/02/2019 16:01:41

Hi Steve, Welcome. As Neil says a can of worms, a rather elderly can of worms and they are a bit sluggish! Nothing wrong with Myford not sure that new ones are being build they might be re-assembling them. They were good 60 years ago and have not changed much. That said there are an awful lot of lathes in the world and most of them aren't Myford...

If buying 2nd hand can you identify a good lathe from a bad one, there are plenty of newly spray painted disasters out there just waiting to bite the unwary. If you are not sure can you find someone who knows what to look for.

If you want to get into Traction Engines, Steam Wagons and the like you may well need something a bit bigger than the Myford 3.5" centre height. Rideable traction engines have some fairly lumpy bits. Whilst of course you can always upgrade it may be worth biting the bullet at the start and going for something that bit bigger. Harrison, Colchester or similar.

Oh, there are probably several hundred threads on here titled "what lathe?"  or similar well worth digging about. Use the google search half-way down the home page.

Good luck with your workshop, look forward to reading about that 6"Fowlerwink

John

Edited By Journeyman on 16/02/2019 16:04:06

Thread: Warco Super - Major Vario inaccuracy
15/02/2019 15:54:19

Which is it? WM14 as per title or Super Vario as per text. Slightly different machines, WM14 is tiny Super Vario is quite large!

John

Thread: Talktalk new web site
09/02/2019 12:32:20

+1 for Thunderbird. I have used it for years, works on Windows 7, 8, 10 Mac and Linux. Free Download Here

John

Thread: WM180 Saddle adjustment
06/02/2019 09:07:38

If the built in saddle clamp on the WM180 is similar to my WM250 then it is a fairly mediocre design, or to put it another way it doesn't work! One of the first mods I did on my lathe was to alter the saddle clamp and add a small lever to operate it.

sadclamp4.jpg

Details *** HERE *** nothing too complicated, it could probably be amended to suit the WM180.

John

Thread: Mini Lathe Rear Tool Post
29/01/2019 09:08:44

Ron, Harold Hall has an article on his ***Website***  or ***Website*** about making several different types of low profile clamps for the mill. Or similar on *** Mikes Workshop *** or on ***HMEM*** for the eccentric ones.

John

Edit: Add link

Edited By Journeyman on 29/01/2019 09:24:17

Thread: Get on yer bike
28/01/2019 10:27:38

Nothing like the real thing. I still try to get in about 20miles a week (just approaching 70th birthday) I agree about the state of the roads, I try to keep to bridal ways, canal towpaths and the like. It is amazing where you can get to on a bike that you can't by car and definitely not on an exercise bike. Of course one of the things you really notice on a bike are the hills ( you have to turn up the friction/magnet drag on the exercise bike) The other thing you notice is real weather last week started out blue sky and brilliant sunshine ended up cycling home in a blizzardfrown

John

Thread: Issue Reading New Digital Viewer
26/01/2019 13:09:57

I withdraw my earlier comment then! Didn't realize that the reader was implemented on an edition by edition basis, I only have access to MEW so my above post does not apply. Sorry.blush

John

26/01/2019 09:12:34

Well mine still comes up as wanting me to load Flash Player, so as far as I can see no change at allsad

(Firefox 64 on Linux Mint 19.1)

John

Thread: ARC's Adventures in China 2019
21/01/2019 10:57:44

Doubt you would be able to film that process in the UK as there would probably be a rather large guard in the way (machine guard that is not security) wink

John

Thread: Mill Spindle Readout
20/01/2019 11:25:33

Having just checked the quill DRO on my WM14 the up down arrows do exactly that ie they offset the display. If you hold one of the arrow keys down the display will increment automatically, slow at first and getting faster. It enables you to set a depth and when the scale shows 0 you have arrived at the right level. Really for drilling or counterboring. I don't usually use the quill to put on a cut preferring to use the Z-axis handwheel at the top of the column.

I must admit I have never used this function. If for example doing a counterbore I bring the cutter down with the quill feed until it just touches the surface and zero the readout. Start the mill and downfeed the quill until the readout shows the depth I want. Very straightforward.

John

Edit: Typo

Edited By Journeyman on 20/01/2019 11:34:57

Thread: VAT on eBooks
17/01/2019 16:29:53

As I read most of my books on an e-reader I signed the petition. That makes 12 of us apparently - bit of a way to go to the 10,000 marksad

John

Thread: Free Electricity
16/01/2019 16:14:32

NDIY, The great A'Tuin entertains no pigs (except of course The Hogfather)

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Allendale May 19
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest