By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Buffer

Here is a list of all the postings Buffer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Thread cutting problem
29/11/2020 08:58:13

Andrew

The tailstock holder is a homemade one but it works very well normally. The die I'm not sure about but most of my tackle comes from Tracy Tools so should be good. I'm sure I did have it at its maximum opening I wound the centre screw in first then just nipped the other two to stop it falling out. I will try it on some brass and see.

Thanks

28/11/2020 21:45:25

I'm now wondering if the threads are being stripped as I am trying to get the thread started. In other words maybe it is rotating without pulling itself along which is stripping the start of the thread clean.

28/11/2020 21:31:10

Andrerw

What is the nominal thread diameter?

Rich

28/11/2020 19:30:42

Thanks to everyone for the advice and replies.

Can anyone tell me where you find out or how you work out what size bar you should start with when cutting a thread? I thought you had to have the bar slightly under size as the die doesn't just cut but also forces the metal out a bit.

28/11/2020 16:52:06

Ian P yes it has.

Ian J thanks I will give that a go.

28/11/2020 16:34:34

Its leaded steel that cuts very nicely. Don't know what the die is made of but it is split. I assume its concentric but don't know how to check. Its held in a tailstock die holder that is free to slide along a shaft. I am not cutting it under power but turning the die holder by hand. I cut the bar down to 0.18" and i put a chamfer on the end that was less than 45 degrres probably about 30. I used a cutting oil to lubricate. I did apply some pressure by hand to get it to start and then it pulled itself along. I did break the swarf off regularly by going backwards. I have cut lots of threads on the lathe this way but for some reason it is stripping the threads off as it goes along and its got me really puzzled.

28/11/2020 15:20:58

It has a lead on one face which I use to start the cut

28/11/2020 14:59:03

Hi I am after a bit of advice about a thread cutting problem. I am trying to cut a 3/16 x40 thread with the die held in a tail stock holder on the lathe. 4 times now this has happened and I can't work out why. The die looks to be in good condition but I am thinking it might be no good. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

20201128_143854.jpg

Thread: Suggestions for lathe-only projects?
26/11/2020 08:33:05

What about a cannon. You can also turn the wheel hubs, axles etc and there is no need at all for any milling.

Thread: Novice attempts to build a Filing Machine
16/11/2020 21:51:01

Ro

How are you getting on with this? I was enjoying this thread and looking forward to seeing it working.

Thread: Tender wheels
21/10/2020 17:44:03

Peter

Yes they should be really. Just Google 5 inch gauge wheel standards and there are quite a few diagrams.

Thread: 1000 to make a Spitfire aircraft fuel tank gauge. Can it be done cheaper?
13/10/2020 10:52:51

Relying on fuel gauges in a light aircraft is a mugs game anyway. You check what's in there by looking in the wing. You know what you have when you start and you know what your burning. Then you know how long you have left. They're handy to tell you if its leaking out and thats normally about all.

Thread: What is a Good Second Steam Engine Model to Build?
11/10/2020 17:29:51

Just start the traction engine. You don't need to build any more skills you will pick them up as you go. Start on the simpler parts. I went from a stuart 10V to a 5 inch gauge Black 5 only stopping to make a George Thomas Pillar Tool. If you get stuck on bits then use this forum for advice.

Thread: My workshop build
25/09/2020 09:25:20

Michael

I use an Ebac dehumidifier in my shed which runs with a built in humidistat. I believe it costs about 4p an hour to run when it feels the need and I have never suffered from rust. It also raises the temperature in there quite nicely. I also use an IR 2kw heater when needed. This costs about 25p an hour to run but I would never need it on that long as I would melt. I did have a fan heater but this was skipped, I think the IR heaters are best because they warm you up instantly you don't have to wait for the air to heat up.

Thread: Don Young 5 inch Black five
04/09/2020 13:36:04

You could be correct there. In the build notes after mentioning this bush he does talk about soldering a bike valve into a bit of hex bar but that's all.

04/09/2020 11:59:34

I didn't fit that plug as I have no idea what it's for either.

04/09/2020 07:52:28

Les

I am part way through building one so I might be able to help.

Rich

Thread: Myford ML7 questions
24/08/2020 19:00:53

What do you mean about the Dewhurst Switch not for stopping and starting? I have been doing that for nearly 20 years, I have no other switch except the one on the wall socket. It works fine. Have I missed something?

Thread: Using a Graver
02/08/2020 18:46:14

Ian

That's some useful info. Thanks for that.

Buffer

02/08/2020 17:30:18

I need to turn a part that has lots of curves on it. I dont particularly want to make lots of form tools and I think I might need to use a graver. I have never used one so can anyone put up a few pics and a bit of advice on what the tools are like and how you do it.

Thanks

Buffer

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest