By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Buffer

Here is a list of all the postings Buffer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gatwick Drone 'Attack'
09/01/2019 08:27:23

Imagine how easy it would be to disable the RAF quick reaction force, just fly a drone or two around the runways. And how long will it be before the local scum bags take out the police helicopters while their mates go out and do a nights work?

Thread: Completed Twin Inline IC Engine
03/01/2019 12:33:44

Steve
That is lovely. What other engines are on the shelf then?

Rich

Thread: HSS lathe tools
19/12/2018 11:56:40
To avoid wasting time grinding the hss blanks i rough them to shape with an angle grinder. Then finish with the bench grinder.
19/12/2018 10:31:20
Iain
So far i have done all my thread cutting with just one hss tool that i ground myself and it only needs a rub with a diamond lap now and again. Do you need a set?.
To get a good finish i take very small cuts. Set the crosslide over and use slow speed and some oil.
Hope this helps.
I also use an Eccentric Engineering tool for about 90% of all my turning.
Best Regards
Rich
Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
13/12/2018 08:20:29

Mal

Great work, how are you going to make the breech interrupted screws?

Rich

Thread: EN8 steel finish
12/12/2018 14:36:28

Hi

Does EN8 silver solder ok with the usual easyflo flux?

Thanks

Rich

Thread: Imminent rabbit invasion.
04/11/2018 19:19:14

Larry

Back in the 70s before RCD protection when there was just a fuse. I had a Dachsund that chewed through the power cable to my Mums Hoover. I can remember the yelp but It only did it once. It survived with no problems at all.

Rich

Thread: Storing Machinery In Damp Conditions - Advice Please
23/10/2018 17:33:35

I had to store my M250 while I knocked down and rebuilt a workshop.

Just smothered all the bare metal with normal castrol grease from halfords then covered in a sheet. All the tooling was put in tubs and covered in engine oil. It all survived with no harm done at all.

Rich

Thread: Sand casting
17/10/2018 17:36:54

Neil

Any chance of getting Graham Gardner to do a more detailed account of casting in MEW. It is obvious he has a lot of knowledge to pass on.

Thanks

Rich

Thread: Forged & Filed
11/10/2018 08:18:32

Very clever but they would use an angle grinder to get in.

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 11/10/2018 10:15:51

Thread: Workshop working tolerances
26/09/2018 13:29:17
Thanks, being self taught it never occured to me that a fine cut after a bigger cut can cause a problem. I always thought you got the accuracy from trying to take a tiny one at the end but that never seemed to work that well.
Thanks again
Rich
25/09/2018 19:30:53
Heres a sort of relevant question. What is the best way to turn work to your chosen diameter without sneaking up on it taking smaller and smaller cuts. Which is what i seem to end up doing? And it takes an age. And dont say get a DRO!
Thanks Rich
Thread: What did you do Today 2018
21/09/2018 22:07:17

Mark

Its an Acme. We need a third owner now to see who has the original !

Rich

21/09/2018 16:57:36

Used my old Royal Shaper to put a nice finish on this bracket i'm making.

Cast it using lost foam in an open mold. The furnace was an old gas cylinder and the crucible a stainless pot from The Range.

img_5514.jpg

Thread: Another workshop insulation question
19/09/2018 17:30:50

Ian

I don't know what your budget is but for this sort of thing I use roof batten from a roofing supplies company. The last lot I got was 2" x 1" x 3.6m @ 45p a metre and its already treated. I think the blue stuff is cheaper than the red. Smaller sections are available for even less.

Regards

Rich

19/09/2018 11:15:11

Ian

My workshop is brick and timber 5m x 2.5m with no permanent heating.

I put 100mm of Celotex under the concrete floor and 70mm on the brick walls. The walls were then lined with 1/2" ply. The ceiling has loft type rollled insulation blanket from Wickes. I haven't worried at all about all the thermal bridging, vapour barriers and all the other stuff you hear.

It is a nice cool temp in the heat of summer and cold in winter (as it had no heating).

I bought a Firefly 2Kw 3 bar quartz electric outdoor patio heater and stuck it on the wall over the bench.

When I go into the workshop I get instant heat on me and in only a few minutes I am turning the bars down to just 1 and then it stays quite comfortable in there. I have tried 2kw fan heaters and I think they are useless as they take an age to feel any noticeable difference. If you get one or two of these quartz heaters you really will feel the benefit instantly.

I never had any damp problems but I now also run a small Ebac dehumidifier over the winter on a permanent drain and I have never had any damp, condensation rust or any problems at all.

I personally would not get a wood burner unless you are lucky enough to spend the day in there because of the time it will take to get going etc.

Hope this has been of some help.

Rich

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
13/09/2018 12:56:10
Posted by Cornish Jack on 13/09/2018 12:11:20:

"PS. No Yaks were harmed in the making of this photograph."

Probably just as well! ... after the one quite severely harmed at the Wanaka Air Display earlier this year.

**LINK**

As one contributor to the PPrune thread wrote, "Words fail me!

rgds

Bill

Target Fixation at its best. "Dont hit the cherry picker, Dont hit the cherry picker, Damn"

I also love the round of applause at the end for being a total retard.

Rgds

Rich

Thread: Am I getting an irritable old git?
02/07/2018 07:53:01
The things that get to
me are like and do you know what I mean.
Do you know what I mean?
Thread: Teaching a 17 year old how to use a lathe
30/06/2018 13:13:27
I think you start with something that can be finished quickly and simply. For example me and my 9 year old son mounted an old ryobi strimmer engine over the back wheel of his old bike, it was very quick and simple and was done in less than a day. He did the drilling and turning on the lathe on the very simple bits, obviously with close supervision, and he loves it. I hope he will get an interest in engineering this way and can then make whatever he wants.
--
30/06/2018 10:53:54

Regards Safety. If your worried someone might mess about with a a machine show them this sort of thing. Its not nasty in any way but does show well not to mess with machinery.

Rich

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest