By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Richard brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Richard brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Loco hand pump casting from Reeves
20/05/2019 18:28:15

Dave

That's thinking outside the box, well my one anyway. It never occurred to me that they could be like this.

Shame its not just one pump though obviously twice the work.

Thanks for taking the time to draw this up.

Have you shot any more machines yet?wink

Rich

Thread: Equipment required
20/05/2019 18:17:31

Hi

If you want to know what sort of features are useful or what a lathe can do a good book is The Amateurs Lathe by Lawrence Sparey. Its a very good text on what you can do with a lathe. It was this book that made me realise that lathes don't just turn round stuff.

Good luck with the build.

Rich

Thread: Loco hand pump casting from Reeves
20/05/2019 17:16:28

Nealeb

Here is the drawing that Reeves sent me when I asked for one. Its not Black 5 and I think its only half the drawing as it doesn't show how you fit these things together.

Baz the Black 5 doesn't have an axle pump it uses two injectors. These casting are identical and appear to fit together some how but I am clueless how. Not even sure if they are a Don Young design for something else. I will PM you for the pics.

Thanks

Rich

img_5704.jpg

20/05/2019 16:34:27

Now I can help you with that. What you have there is the regulator casting. Middle of sheet 9

Rich

Edited By Richard brown 1 on 20/05/2019 16:41:06

19/05/2019 20:53:59

Hi

I recently had a bit of credit with Reeves so I bought the Hand Pump Casting for my Don Young Black 5. I was surprised when these two small castings turned up.

Reeves are convinced that these are correct even though they are nothing like the DY Designs drawings. I told them they are not like the drawing so then they then sent me the drawing that they are photographed on but I'm not sure that's correct for the castings either. I also think some more of the drawings are missing.

My question is do any loco builders recognise this pump casting and if so is it for a DY Designs Black 5 or something else?

Also do these two pumps fit together somehow to be double acting? In the drawing the right hand end of the pump drawing seems to have a plate or something missing. Is this were the casting fit back to back?

Hope you can help.

Rich

img_5702.jpgimg_5700.jpg

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
17/05/2019 17:53:17

I reckon I could shoot a peatol lathe with that at 25m.

17/05/2019 16:16:43

Cant believe sillly old duffer shoots his equipment when he gets bored. Good job it was just an air pistol. What does he do to them if he gets angry ?

Rich

Thread: Drilling cast iron - where did I go wrong?
15/05/2019 23:21:06

Robin

I haven't had this problem in cast iron and I have made some bigger and smaller holes than that.

1100rpm sounds fast to me but i'm no expert. Have you tried going slower? I would personally go quite a lot slower when I do it.

Regards

Rich

Thread: WHERE ARE THE SHAPER USERS ?
15/05/2019 10:32:59

Here are a few photos of my shear tool. It is just cut diagonal across the end and then the tip is rounded on the bench grinder. It gives a superb finish. The little nick on the end is just a left over from its previous use. In the first picture the top face is the face that faces the forwards in the machine.

Regards

Rich

20190515_102241.jpg20190515_082315.jpg20190515_082234.jpg

Thread: Form Tool Sharpening
10/05/2019 15:23:23

Thanks for the advice, lots of techniques here.

I like the idea of grinding paste on a spinning bar might give that a go first.

Ian what bits do you use in the dremel? The little grinding wheels that came with it just wear themselves away.

Thanks

Rich

10/05/2019 08:33:48

Ok thanks. The dremel wheels I have had in the past have always just worn themselves away more than the metal!

I will look for a rounded stone

Thanks for the advice

Rich

09/05/2019 22:22:06

Hi

I have just used a bench grinder and ground my first form tool in HSS for making some brass bits. The cutting edge is about half an inch in length.

Can anyone tell me what is the best way of smoothing out the edge and sharpening this? As its a curve its not obvious.

Thanks

Rich

20190509_211829.jpg

20190509_211726.jpg

Thread: Setting Milling-machine Vice
06/05/2019 14:09:44

I think my way might be a little different.

With the vice slightly slack I clamp a long ground flat in the vice then bring a verdict gauge up to the left hand end.

Then with power feed on (or hand wind it) I traverse the table right to left and just tap the vice until the needle stops moving. I dont care what reading it starts or stops on, the needle just has to stop moving. Then nip up the vice, feed back the other way to check and your done. I can normally do it in less than one pass.

Saves a lot of going back and forth thats for sure.

Regards

Rich

Thread: DIY Bed Gap
25/04/2019 19:19:54

Isn't it funny that Terry has Golum as his picture but doesn't think his lathe is that precious!

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
08/03/2019 20:18:02

Phil

I think angle grinders are in the three most dangerous things you can hold after hand grenades and chainsaws.

Thread: Brian Perkins
08/03/2019 20:12:40

I agree, a great modeller and a nice chap too. I remember having a talk to him at a show a few years back, I left full of enthusiasm. Thoughts are with the family and friends.

Rich

Thread: Metal Cutting Power Saw
06/03/2019 08:41:43

Ron what about a kennedy power hacksaw. Its small enough to put under a bench and get out when needed

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
26/02/2019 12:27:21

Mal

Its an 800lb palliser shot copied from the dimensions in the handbook. Yes i will black it put in the brass studs and then make a little shell barrow. Just for a bit of fun.

Regards rich.

25/02/2019 15:33:27

Mal

Nice shell. Here's a 12.5 inch RML paperweight I have been making.

Regards Rich

img_5468.jpg

p1040417.jpg

Thread: National Trust and Gift Aid
17/02/2019 06:54:07

Robin

lm no expert but I think the other way they could claim it is if they give you a years free entry ( like the tank museum). But as they don't want to give you that then I think you make a donation. They don't get gift aid from me for this reason. But tank museum and the others do get it from me.

rich

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Allendale May 19
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest