By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Richard brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Richard brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: august editors bench
09/07/2019 17:17:36

Haven't had that either. When should it have arrived?

09/07/2019 17:12:45

What August issue? Last one I had was Doug hewson doing the pansy wheels.

Thread: What do you use your lathe for?
06/07/2019 09:28:42
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 05/07/2019 19:06:34:
Posted by Richard brown 1 on 05/07/2019 18:36:35:

A mill cant make a mill because how do you make the spindles and circular bits with a mill?

Yes it can, use your imagination! smile

A horizontal mill can be used to turn short, large diameter parts that would otherwise be too large. See here:

**LINK**

Andrew

I had seen something like that in ME but I'd like to see you make a leadscrew on a mill dont know

05/07/2019 18:36:35

Surely a lathe could make a lathe if you don't include making the bed as that could be cast then scraped.

A mill cant make a mill because how do you make the spindles and circular bits with a mill?

Thread: Mounting an ER collet chuck
29/06/2019 17:15:15

Well armed with all your advice I went out and cut a register that was just a little tight and a little shallower than the recess in the chuck. I then pulled it up onto the bolting face using the bolts. With a Verdict indicator on the internal taper it moves with the slightest sway about 0.0002 inch. If anyone is interested the chuck came from Arc and the camlock backplate from Rotagrip.

Thanks to all of you who gave advice.

Rich

28/06/2019 22:25:59

Thanks

Are these registers definitely the way to get the best concentric fit? Is that how they are made? Is it a ridiculous idea to just nip it up and then gently tap it across in a similar way to moving something onto centre in a four jaw chuck.

28/06/2019 20:50:57

HI when mounting this er collet chuck onto a backplate. Should the register be cut deep so the chuck mounts with the central lower face in contact with the backplate. Or shallow so the bolting outer face contacts the backplate. Or maybe it doesn't matter.

Thanks Rich

20190628_202825.jpg

Thread: Making leaf spring buckles
28/06/2019 19:14:53

Colin I folded my loco buckles and then soldered the end in. If you mill them from solid leave it attached to the bar as it makes it easier to hold when your filling.

Regards rich

20190628_180957.jpg20190628_181023.jpg

Thread: Do you clean your workshop at the end of the day?
28/06/2019 18:07:06

I clean and put away on the days I'm too tired after work and can't be bothered to try and make bits.

Thread: Making a Start in FreeCAD
24/06/2019 15:50:41

Dave

They had a word for that, the preponderance of ths gun, obsolete now when they don't have trunions

Thread: Threading Problems on Colchester Student
18/06/2019 01:46:00

I found a new way to mess up work once. I was engaging the power feed and not the half nuts. I was so angry at not knowing why it wouldn't work I gave up trying to cut a thread in the lathe for about 5 years.

Thread: Hardening a form tool made from Gauge Plate
15/06/2019 11:05:02

I have just had a success by heating it to carrot colour then quenching in brine. Perhaps it was cooling to slowly in the oil. As advised I also didn't temper it I just took it easy and it works well.

Anyway thanks to all of you who offered advice. I can now make accurate form tools that work.smiley

Regards Rich

14/06/2019 20:08:37

Jim it was bought off an ebay seller who says it meets bs specs but that's as much as I know. I have no other way to.telll if it's of a good quality.

Think I'll just get it real hot and try it without tempering. I have used it on brass so even if it doesnt harden enough it's not totally useless.

Thanks rich

14/06/2019 18:52:27

Om so I will quench in brine and ias I cant accurately gauge the temp is it worth just giving it full blast with the gas. Can it get too hot? Or am I likely to just be wasting gas.

Thanks rich

14/06/2019 17:08:53

Hi

I have just had two failed attempts to harden a form tool made from a piece of steel sold as Gauge Plate 01 20x8mm. Its being made to cut mild steel and I heated it to red heat for 10mins then quenched in engine oil. I tempered the first at 230 C (Peter Wright Model Engineering Foundation Course) in the oven then the second at 190 C (Tubal Cain Hardening &Tempering). Both were not hard enough to cut the mild steel on the lathe.

Does anyone know if its likely that I just didn't get it hot enough? The time seems about right to me for 8mm thickness.

If its not hot enough would it be ok to just blast it with the burner to get it much hotter or do I need to try and be more accurate with the temperature.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards Rich

Thread: Ballscrews?
29/05/2019 11:23:22

If your not using it for CNC and you have made no calculations of load you might as well not worry about good or bad ones. Just get a big one and hope no bits of your little pink body are near it.

Thread: Fire bricks
23/05/2019 12:31:10

**LINK**

23/05/2019 08:00:44
Posted by fizzy on 23/05/2019 00:13:03:

low thermal conductivity.....the exact opposite of what they are?

fire bricks are low thermal conductivity on the Vitcas website and others.

Point taken about making sure they are dry but I have never had one spall, they are under an old metal box.

22/05/2019 20:11:45

Well I use firebricks. Cheap (about £6) easy to get (buildabase etc) heat proof, low thermal conductivity. Stack nicely into a hearth can be left outside. Never had any problem silver soldering with them.  I have seen these vermiculite slabs break easily and break down with bits under the job breaking of and sticking to jobs when the flux and work get hot.

Regards

Rich

Edited By Richard brown 1 on 22/05/2019 20:20:10

Thread: Loco hand pump casting from Reeves
20/05/2019 18:28:15

Dave

That's thinking outside the box, well my one anyway. It never occurred to me that they could be like this.

Shame its not just one pump though obviously twice the work.

Thanks for taking the time to draw this up.

Have you shot any more machines yet?wink

Rich

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest