By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Buffer

Here is a list of all the postings Buffer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2022
19/05/2022 09:31:06

Pete that's a great job, what was the wire you used?

Thanks

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
18/05/2022 19:20:58

Mal

How do you cut the threads though?

Thanks

Thread: How I am wasting time
04/05/2022 13:02:18

While on holiday in Cornwall i visited Iron Brothers in Wadebridge a couple of years ago to draw around their patterns for a garrison cannon carriage. They were very nice helpful people and we got chatting about my amateur castings. The governor then took me to see a very large iron pour of a keel and some other bits they were doing. It was quite a spectacle and I was very lucky to be on the shop floor standing on a thick bed of sand watching it all going on from a safe distance. Then it was back to the car where the wife and kids were waiting to get down the beach.

Thread: Workshop warming
29/04/2022 14:30:01

Mick You asked what about infra red. Well that's what I use in a 5.5m x 2.5m workshop and I think it's great. As you say it heats you up and not all the air. It's a 2kw 3 bar and it goes on 3 bars when I first go in and in no time at all I am turning it down to one bar. I did use fan heaters from screwfix but found these to be pretty useless. They did warm the workshop up but very slowly and I was normally only getting warm when it was time to go in. I used to have it slotted onto screws on the wall so I could take it down to either end depending on what I was doing but have since just left it up one end. It was about 40 quid and is shaped like a rugby ball from heatlab off amazon. My workshop is also insulated with celotex.

Thread: Myford Super 7 QC gearbox Mk1 problem
03/04/2022 10:23:42

Brian I had to change the main splined shaft on my gearbox so it had to all come apart. I can't remember specific details but I do remember that it wasn't hard to get apart and back together again. It's a very basic gearbox and honestly you should have no problem pulling it apart and putting it back.

Thread: Don't really know where to Topic this.
11/03/2022 12:18:03

I have never seen anyone put a sausage in a bread roll like that before. Everydays a school day.

Thread: Tomato seed recommendation?
07/03/2022 18:50:42

I have grown lots of tomatoes and one variety that has been very nice is the Vitoria cherry tomato from sainsburys. It produces lots of nice toms. I normally just buy a box and keep some seed. I also spray the green house with Jeyes fluid using a pump up sprayer, I give it a good soaking and never had any blight or problems.

Thread: Greenwashing
02/03/2022 21:40:12

My Henry has swallowed a screwdriver and a pencil before without the slightest problem. I think he's brilliant.

Thread: Tracy Tools Delivery
19/02/2022 21:07:57

Yup, I have also had the same thing, ordered from Tracy Tools and job was threaded before lunch the next morning.

My postie is great, The dogs love him as he always gives them a treat.

Thread: Drilling deep holes - 10x drill diameter - Runout?
07/02/2022 13:06:09

Thanks to you all for all the ideas and advice.

05/02/2022 17:35:35

Thanks Andrew. I presume this was in the lathe and not the mill as you suggested above? Did the drill stay centred ok at the other end? I guess it would do being a 1/2 inch.

05/02/2022 16:31:07

Hi All

I need to drill a 14mm hole 300mm deep right through a bar 60mm diameter of EN1A steel.

It doesn't need to be precisely on centre as I will probably turn between centres at the end.

I was going to hold it in the four jaw with the fixed steady and then drill and bore a hole to get the drill off to a good start. Then just go at it for the day with a HSS jobber drill and extend it when I need to. Has anyone done this sort of thing before and got any advice or top tips before I get to work? I was wondering about things like maybe drilling it a little under size and finishing with a D bit for example. The finish needs to be reasonably good but not brilliant.

Many Thanks.

Edited By Buffer on 05/02/2022 16:36:41

Thread: RML Cannon of 7"
25/01/2022 19:18:02

Well I managed to make a bit more progress on the Cannon, mainly rivet holes.

20220125_182702.jpg

Thread: 5" Gauge Loco Project
17/01/2022 13:54:54

Stuart Here are a few things to ask yourself. How old are you? Do you have enough life left to take on a loco and finish it as they take a normal person a long time? Are you more interested in getting one done quickly and simply to get pleasure from driving or are you more interested in the build? How much time can you spend on it? How much money can you spend on it? Can you transport store and move a large loco or only a small one? Are you planning on building the boiler? Do you have a track where you can drive it or would a traction engine be better? Is there a club near you to get advice and help?

I think you really do need to think about these sort of things as well as the workshop equipment and type.

Obviously a tender loco generally has more work, more cost, more weight and needs more space than a smaller tank engine. I was told (like br above) to choose something that you really want in order to keep the enthusiasm up. It sounds like you have some experience with the tools and that starting a nice scale model wouldn't be a problem for you if that's what you really want to end up with. If you want to make a simplex or something else to learn on then personally I would say that it is not a necessary step as there is plenty of easy metal bashing on say a 5 inch tender or a front 4 wheel bogie. When you have done this you would be quite competent to tackle most things, in my opinion. And if you get stuck then advice from a club, websites, youtube etc would probably get you unstuck.

For myself I built two small stuart turner steam engines then took on a mainline loco with tender. I haven't finished it yet but progress is good. In hindsight I perhaps should have built a traction engine so I can drive it around the garden and take it up the road!

14/01/2022 21:53:28

Finished my little shell barrow.20220114_214747.jpg

Thread: crispy fluffy roast potatoes
06/01/2022 15:36:35

Maris Piper or King Edward only for me. Boil, drain, throw flour over them and shake in saucepan to fluff up and into hot olive oil. Perfect.

Thread: Highway Code
05/01/2022 08:18:37

I have fitted dash cams and I am sure one day I am going to mow down one of the many cyclists round here who think nothings wrong in cycling down rural lanes with no lights at night. It's only going to take one car coming the other way and splat. Darwinism as far as I'm concerned.

02/01/2022 11:50:35

Well I started making this little shell barrow just as a break from loco bits. I saw it at Hurst Castle.

20220101_174648.jpg
20220101_173323.jpg

Thread: Springbok completed
01/01/2022 08:44:54

It's a masterpiece.

Well done.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
28/12/2021 17:51:45

screenshot_20211228-174736_whatsapp.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest