By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Buffer

Here is a list of all the postings Buffer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tender wheels
21/10/2020 17:44:03

Peter

Yes they should be really. Just Google 5 inch gauge wheel standards and there are quite a few diagrams.

Thread: 1000 to make a Spitfire aircraft fuel tank gauge. Can it be done cheaper?
13/10/2020 10:52:51

Relying on fuel gauges in a light aircraft is a mugs game anyway. You check what's in there by looking in the wing. You know what you have when you start and you know what your burning. Then you know how long you have left. They're handy to tell you if its leaking out and thats normally about all.

Thread: What is a Good Second Steam Engine Model to Build?
11/10/2020 17:29:51

Just start the traction engine. You don't need to build any more skills you will pick them up as you go. Start on the simpler parts. I went from a stuart 10V to a 5 inch gauge Black 5 only stopping to make a George Thomas Pillar Tool. If you get stuck on bits then use this forum for advice.

Thread: My workshop build
25/09/2020 09:25:20

Michael

I use an Ebac dehumidifier in my shed which runs with a built in humidistat. I believe it costs about 4p an hour to run when it feels the need and I have never suffered from rust. It also raises the temperature in there quite nicely. I also use an IR 2kw heater when needed. This costs about 25p an hour to run but I would never need it on that long as I would melt. I did have a fan heater but this was skipped, I think the IR heaters are best because they warm you up instantly you don't have to wait for the air to heat up.

Thread: Don Young 5 inch Black five
04/09/2020 13:36:04

You could be correct there. In the build notes after mentioning this bush he does talk about soldering a bike valve into a bit of hex bar but that's all.

04/09/2020 11:59:34

I didn't fit that plug as I have no idea what it's for either.

04/09/2020 07:52:28

Les

I am part way through building one so I might be able to help.

Rich

Thread: Myford ML7 questions
24/08/2020 19:00:53

What do you mean about the Dewhurst Switch not for stopping and starting? I have been doing that for nearly 20 years, I have no other switch except the one on the wall socket. It works fine. Have I missed something?

Thread: Using a Graver
02/08/2020 18:46:14

Ian

That's some useful info. Thanks for that.

Buffer

02/08/2020 17:30:18

I need to turn a part that has lots of curves on it. I dont particularly want to make lots of form tools and I think I might need to use a graver. I have never used one so can anyone put up a few pics and a bit of advice on what the tools are like and how you do it.

Thanks

Buffer

Thread: What lathe tool for deburring holes?
01/08/2020 18:39:26

This might not be relevant to the post but it could help.

I have a tool like Jason's but the other end I use during parting off. It's set in a quick change tool holder to be on the exact centre of the parting tool. At some time during parting off I change tools and I can take the burr off the back off the component and put a nice little chamfer on the next at the same time. Swap back to parting tool and finish the parting off.

Thread: Is This a Tooth?
23/07/2020 16:37:54

Duffer

If you register on Discuss Fossils you can open your own account upload photos and then experts will come along and tell you what you have. I regularly find fossils in the fields around Bedfordshire and I have always had a reply from a museum telling me what they are.

Regards

Buffer

Thread: optivisor
10/07/2020 09:33:59

I use my optivisor for finishing and polishing parts because if it looks good at 2x magnification it looks superb without magnification.

Thread: Ac motor 3 wire
06/07/2020 22:12:28

John B, John H

I just measured the rpm and it was about 1400. I've turned in now but will check again tomorrow with my glasses on!

Do you think the gadget builder design is worth doing? Did you make any changes or would you make any with hindsight?

Thanks

Thread: Hammer flipping experiment?
06/07/2020 20:00:27

Edited By Buffer on 06/07/2020 20:02:40

06/07/2020 20:00:25

Freaky!

Thread: Ac motor 3 wire
06/07/2020 19:54:26

John x2 Maurice and Ian.

Thanks for all the help and advice it seems to be sorted, so now I can work out if it will be good enough for a small grinder.

Regards

Rich

06/07/2020 16:51:26

The capacitor has 2 terminals with 2 wires on each terminal.

I think the dryer turned both ways but I do know that when I took the lid off the dryer i could make it go both ways depending on which way i spun the drum.

20200706_163958.jpg

06/07/2020 15:04:08

John thanks for the info I have just taken a photo of the capacitor.

Maurice, that's a good idea. Even after 20 something years of being on the net I never thought of trying that! I will have a look now.

1594043700361824794204633028304.jpg

06/07/2020 14:12:01

Hi

I was thinking of using my old tumble dryer motor for a gadget builder style four facet drill grinder. Only thing is I am not sure how it is wired. I have included a photo because it has three wires going into it and two of those go via a capacitor. The capacitor has four terminals which I think might be because it is a start capacitor for a motor that runs both ways. My question is does anyone know what the connections would be if i just wanted to run this motor one way for grinding. Does anyone know what rpm this motor might be when run on UK mains single phase. I have seen before that some of you can tell the speed of some motors just by looking and knowing the frequency of the mains.

Thanks for any help

20200706_134740.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest