By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Trice

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Trice has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warco Super - Major Vario inaccuracy
16/02/2019 10:17:51

One could simply machine a block of something and then check for consistency of thickness as at least an indicator of what is going on. A sheet of paper under the block will help stop marking the surface if it needs to go back. My first test would be clamp a piece of aluminium L section along the y axis, skim the upright edge and then measure it.

Edited By Chris Trice on 16/02/2019 10:21:19

Thread: New coffee maker - disgusting taste!
14/02/2019 01:43:46

As recommended by the suppliers:

https://www.yorkshiretea.co.uk/our-teas/how-to-make-a-proper-brew

Thread: Buying lathes direct from China
13/02/2019 20:41:00

The CE label thing is quite deliberate. China doesn't recognise copyright and won't until it suits its own interests. That's why so many of their products are copies of European products. Even there cars are copies of European models.

Thread: Filling defects in slideways
13/02/2019 19:19:20

Not sure that something that "sands easily" is particularly abrasion resistant in respect of a lathe bed.

Thread: Telephone / Internet Scams
13/02/2019 11:17:44

Les, if you ever get something like that, just go to the genuine website of whatever company it's supposed to be and navigate from there or contact them about whatever the issue is (if any), or ask them to write to you.

Thread: releasing tapers
12/02/2019 11:26:16

Agreed. Given the amount of energy imparted into the taper with a whack, I can't see any appreciable deformation occurring in such a large solid mass since most of the deformation would occur in the tang (or at least very locally to the point of impact) as the rest of the material directly behind it absorbs the energy. Anyone who has tried to whack the threaded part of a steering rack ball joint to get it to release will be familiar with the thread getting deformed. Certainly the thrust forward is going to massively overcome any increase in friction from whatever negligible expansion occurs.

Thread: Myford VM D moving quill
11/02/2019 21:05:13

If you contact them, they'll probably know exactly which one it is because of all the other Myford owners enquiring.

11/02/2019 20:37:59

Found the company. https://www.jbj.co.uk/gear-couplings.html

11/02/2019 20:36:06

I had one of these mills and I believe the couplings were bought in by Myford from an outside supplier and still available from the original manufacturer but I forget who. Someone should be along to tell you shortly.

Thread: Blacking engraved lines
11/02/2019 12:20:07

I've used Humbrol matt and/or gloss black enamel, the advantage of which is you can brush the paint into the grooves followed by a wipe with a white spirit dampened kitchen towel or cellulose thinners if the paint has dried for any length of time.

Thread: releasing tapers
11/02/2019 10:52:20

I have a recollection that it's something to do with stopping the drill rotating when being advanced or held by a tailstock centre (same as a reamer). Most taper shank drills have centres drilled in them. The rounded end is merely to avoid a corner being burred over if removed by a drift. I've no idea why some lathe tailstocks only allow a drill to fit in a particular position.

11/02/2019 00:56:15
Posted by not done it yet on 10/02/2019 22:50:44:

Tangs on Morse tapers were there, I believe, mainly for ease of removal with a wedge (through the quill), but also helped prevent the taper turning and screwing up the machine if it jammed up or was not insered tightly enough before starting work.

Pretty certain tangs were never intended for anti rotation duties in respect of resisting machining forces in the same way that the slot on the side some collets is only there to resist rotation while being done up. The actual cutting force is taken (or should be) by the taper surface I believe but happy to be proven wrong. If the tang or slot is taking the load, the collet or taper is not fitted sufficiently firmly.

10/02/2019 22:03:27

The answer is yes to all your questions. As you've surmised, you need to make sure the small end of the taper has a tang or piece of studding making it long enough to self eject.

Thread: lathe wanted
10/02/2019 20:57:47

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOXFORD-AUD-5-LATHE/163536276082?hash=item2613858a72:g:~boAAOSwnCdcVzcp:rk:1f:0

Edited By Chris Trice on 10/02/2019 20:58:53

10/02/2019 20:53:29

eBay is the obvious. Try Gumtree too.

Thread: ML10 tailstock
10/02/2019 20:21:30

Howards reply is the most likely cause. The key has to be twisted in line with the slot in the barrel.

Thread: Threading a bar for 6ba
09/02/2019 11:22:20

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-59154-HSS-Mini-Tap/dp/B0080R1M6G

09/02/2019 11:20:21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Small-0-70mm-Plate-Match-Postage/dp/B00BJ2RFYW

Thread: Myford tailstock ML7 / Super 7
09/02/2019 02:13:48

Instinctively, dry would seem logical but I've read somewhere there should be a trace of oil to stop galling if they do slip. I confess my drill chuck and centres go in the tailstock dry.

Thread: Myford S7 Newall DRO Installation
08/02/2019 23:34:26

Incidentally Ken can show you a very good top slide DRO installation worth incorporating.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest