By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Trice

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Trice has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ML7 cross slide backlash
20/02/2019 19:32:17
Posted by Jon Lawes on 20/02/2019 19:24:32:

I did something similar on my ML7 I suspect, I bored out the hole that the shaft goes into and fitted a 1/4 x 3/8 x 1/8 sealed bearing, with an NTA411 bearing either side (a needle roller bearing with washers, two of, part number NTA411).

The reduction in free play was very noticeable, especially after a further adjustment later on when they had all bedded in.

Me too on my Super 7 and it's another of those mods I never regretted doing. The feel is so much better.

Thread: Lead Screws
20/02/2019 18:35:35
Posted by ega on 20/02/2019 11:53:01:

Something like this, perhaps?

b0010136.jpg

yesyesyes

20/02/2019 16:43:45

I took mine off about four years ago and put on the lever feed. Mine hasn't been back on since then either.

20/02/2019 15:23:05

Going through some of my Myford paperwork, I found this relating to the power cross slide feednut which is where I think some confusion lies and where my memory comes from as I have a power cross feed Super 7: " During the hardening process of the cross slide feednut, the thread in the feednut tends to close up. Accordingly each feedscrew is finally finished in terms of size to fit an individual feednut. Therefore, replacement feednuts are not available as an individual item as most likely they will not be a good fit, and in some cases they will not fit at all. To ensure the best possible outcome the power cross slide feedscrew and nut is only available as an assembly.... Replacement feednuts are not available as single items".

In respect of the other feedscrews, no reference is made to heat treatment so I concede that point but they were also only available (and still are) as a matched pair : "Note: To ensure the best possible outcome when replacing worn feedscrews, replacement feedscrews are only available as an assembly fitted with a feednut".

20/02/2019 13:16:08

It was on the old Myford Nottingham website that stated because of this issue, they would only supply feedscrews and nuts as a pair.

Thread: 3 Jaw self centering ER chuck
20/02/2019 10:51:21
Posted by jimmy b on 20/02/2019 10:45:30:

I just used to hold an ER collet chuck in some soft jaws.

I really can't see an advantage to how this is shown.

JIm

I don't think it's an attempt to improve accuracy but more about being able to change sizes quickly and positional consistency. However, I suspect it's probably very accurate also since the soft jaws by their nature hold very accurate tolerance when holding at the position they were machined at.

20/02/2019 10:45:51

Given the high degree of accuracy with which the chuck jaws are obviously machined, I can imagine that the part of the jaws that fits in the collet groove also contact the bottom of the collet groove and participate in the closing action as well as preventing the collet being squeezed out the chuck..

Thread: ML10 Hammered Paint
20/02/2019 00:58:24

Trimite are alive and well but their range has evolved.

https://www.trimite.com

19/02/2019 23:17:40

I did a similar conversion a few years ago on my Super 7 and got similar results. Talking to a Myford bod at the Nottingham factory at the time, I was told that the nuts were heat treated which often changed their dimensions so they were matched to specific feedscrews as pairs to keep backlash to a minimum. .003" was considered an excellent pairing.

Thread: Myford Dickson toolholder and 10mm tooling
19/02/2019 12:12:44

What Roderick said. It's a bit like buying wheels too big for your car and then being surprised you have to cut off the wheel arches to accommodate. 3/8th has always been considered the maximum on a Myford so simply buy smaller shank tooling. This just strikes me as the more obvious remedy although I accept machining the top of the topslide is a solution.

Thread: Lathe Identification
19/02/2019 12:00:11

I read that on lathes.co.uk too.

Thread: Quality issues with a SIEG SX2.7 mini mill
19/02/2019 11:51:56

At the price point, I expect the vast majority are going to beginners who don't know any better. I doubt less than 5% are being stripped and remachined beyond small adjustments within the skill set of a beginner. Which hobbyist has access to a surface grinder?

"The machines are built at different times of the year, in different climates - hot, cold, or damp conditions. This has its own effects on the machines. Note: The adjustments are made in the different climates. At this point, in certain cases, certain sellers issue an accuracy certificate."

Seriously? If changes of climate affect a machine accuracy that much, why aren't we all readjusting our equipment between winter and summer, rainy days and hot dry days? I would have thought the clamping together of two flat surfaces would remain unchanging with temperature changes? If it's possible to grind the important surfaces that can be seen, it should be possible to grind the important surfaces that aren't seen. I appreciate the spirited defence of these machines and without sounding like I'm having a swipe at them (or Ketan who I've met and like) but a lot of that does sound like a politician's spin.

The fact is, the price reflects the standard of manufacture rather than other outside forces which would also be regular topics for discussion on more expensive machines. For the price, they are good but the problem is they are oversold raising the expectation of the buyer beyond what is likely to be delivered. Disappointment is based on expectation. There will now follow a number of people saying how good their machine is and that's probably an honest statement but I doubt it will quell ongoing threads about quality issues that even at the low price, shouldn't really be present. Even hobbyists expect a machine to meet certain basic stated accuracy standards and one of them is an expectation that what the weather was doing on the day it was assembled and measured plays no part in changing its accuracy between the factory door and delivery.

Thread: Myford Dickson toolholder and 10mm tooling
19/02/2019 01:46:46

I'm always surprised when people alter the lathe to fit the accessory.

Thread: Quick change tool holders for Myford lathe
19/02/2019 01:40:02

A & R went into liquidation a few years ago. I believe one of the big dealers bought up, or had them make up, a large stock of toolholders which they then sold themselves for half as much again as A & R were originally selling them for. However, you generally get what you pay for so I'd look for second hand "W" toolholders if in doubt or funds are tight. Wonky threads and machine screws made out of cheese are not unusual on the cheap ones and don't always fit as well as they should do.

Thread: Myford gear selection
18/02/2019 14:44:38

Use the 8 TPI gears quoted on the Myford gear cutting chart that should be on the lathe and/or in the manual that comes with it. The chart is also widely available online.

Thread: Plus or Minus
17/02/2019 17:20:43

You can reverse the direction a DRO axis reads in so it's entirely up to the owner. I have mine set so as the tool moves towards the centre, the number decreases (along with the diameter of what you're machining). I tend to zero from the tailstock so as I cut towards the chuck, the number increases but that's just me, however, on my milling machine, sending the table to the left increases the number.

Thread: Decoding Ser# of Emcomat 8.4/8.6 Lathe
17/02/2019 10:52:30

I wonder if lathes.co.uk's damning of it about a lack of back gear has something to do with that? Mine has a 3 phase motor and VFD so the back gear slow speed problem is moot. Other than the incredibly skinny drive belt (that's the first thing I'll be changing), it's a great machine and it has a bigger bore through the spindle than my Myford.

17/02/2019 04:43:00

Rainbows, how much did the same seller want for his Boxford slowly rusting outside?

Thread: Telephone / Internet Scams
16/02/2019 22:38:39

I will frequently tell a salesman I don't want to do something and when he asks why, I say because you want me to. It's never about for your benefit. It's for the seller.

16/02/2019 16:17:40

If that had any value, it wouldn't be thrown outside. Don't even think about it. The cost of restoring that meaningfully would buy you a decent secondhand UK made machine. I'd be looking for a Boxford if funds are tight.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate