By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Trice

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Trice has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Soba rotary table
13/03/2019 16:20:29
Posted by geoff walker 1 on 13/03/2019 09:23:31:

On accuracy this table is 7.5 degrees out over a full 360 degree rotation of the table. The hand wheel dial is indexed with 7.5 degrees and the hand wheel rotates exactly 47 times for one rotation of the table, should of course be 48.

I'd argue this qualifies it as worthless junk since it renders many of the tasks a rotary table is reasonably expected to do as unreasonably difficult and therefore not fit for purpose. I'm sure if your life depended on it, you could achieve all sorts of miracles using it if you had to but you shouldn't have to, regardless of how cheap it was.

Thread: What thinner for Enamel paint.
13/03/2019 01:44:57

Any oil based enamel paint is usually thinned with White Spirit and also used to clean any brushes or spray gear.

Thread: Is a hand chamfer worthwhile?
12/03/2019 10:35:38
Posted by JasonB on 12/03/2019 07:07:26:

I use one of these for holes 6-12mm

Anything bigger gets a Noga style curved blade round th edge

Ditto. I recommend the exact same tools.

Thread: Lathe screwcutting
12/03/2019 10:12:15

I've had a similar experience with an identical QCTP clone as featured in the video. I machined a few thou off the inner surface of the sprung Tee piece where it fits into the tool holder slot so the cam shaft rotated a little further. It makes it pull the holder into the post harder and the extra friction makes the cam less likely to loosen. Having said that, it mostly languishes in a box because both it and the associated holders don't fit the two genuine Dickson posts I have very well and virtually all the rest of my tooling is held in genuine Dickson holders.

Edited By Chris Trice on 12/03/2019 10:12:58

Thread: I C Engine Piston rings sticking
10/03/2019 20:31:20

What Emgee said. A better quick fix option is heat the engine with a hot air gun. That generally ungums the ring without dismantling and then flush some neat fuel through it.

Thread: Metal ball joints for 1/3 scale action figure?
10/03/2019 11:24:26

The Action Man idea is no good because you can't adjust the friction of the joint. There's always a screw immediately above or below the ball that can be tightened or loosened, or on occasion completely locked. The ball is usually sandwiched between two plates.

10/03/2019 03:11:47

One of the original King Kong armatures that sold at Christie's about ten years ago. Note the knees are ball joints but they include a pin running through them so they only act as a hinge.

gettyimages-93213859-612x612.jpg

Edited By Chris Trice on 10/03/2019 03:16:18

10/03/2019 02:54:24
Posted by Maurice on 10/03/2019 00:09:22:

I thought that I would just point out that you only require a hinge for a knee joint, not a ball joint.

Maurice

You would need a ball joint (or animation wire) at the hip and ankle though not only to allow for the foot to meet the ground in a flat manner but also so the leg and ankle can twist.

10/03/2019 02:49:56

The "wire" you currently have in there is called Animation Wire and available in many sizes. It's often used to make a support for sculpting figures in clay. Ray Harryhausen would machine his own armatures which did consist of ball and socket joints and they're not too difficult to make. It's been about ten years since my last animation armature as CGI has almost completely taken over but the principles remain the same. I can't even remember what the advert was for but it featured a number of characters including a wooden bird living in a dolls house.

53452774_2317939508272553_1870506318092042240_o.jpg

Thread: Soba rotary table
09/03/2019 22:34:23

I have both a Vertex 4" and Vertex 6" Rotary table and although the 6" tightens slightly as you turn the handle for half a turn, it remains smooth and there's no appreciable slop in the mechanism and I like them both. Based on this, I bought (the company paid for it) a (cheaper) Soba 6" rotary table for use at work which, because it looked identical to the Vertex, I mistakenly assumed was made on the same production line and simply rebadged. By comparison and based on expectation, the Soba was disappointing being rougher finished and not as well made. However it worked sufficiently well for the stuff we were chonking out. It made me cautious about buying another though having been spoilt by the Vertex, so unless you're on a tight budget, I personally would say pay the extra if you want to be sure.

Thread: Hardened Silver Steel Shattered - How to Avoid?
08/03/2019 20:25:05

Most household ovens go up to tempering temperatures so no need to check colours or trying to heat evenly with a flame and potentially undoing all the good work hardening it. Put it in, cook it for a while at top temperature and then remove.

Thread: Laptop batteries
08/03/2019 01:01:24

Never had a cheap clone battery yet that I wasn't disappointed with although Duracell do equivalents and they're pretty good. Worth checking if they cover your model.

08/03/2019 00:29:58

Possibly here. Genuine Apple (apparently).

https://www.applepartsltd.co.uk/product/267

Thread: Mystery Milling Vice
07/03/2019 21:56:21

Thanks Clive. I didn't get alternative jaws with it but the ones fitted suit me well.

07/03/2019 11:10:46

Thanks, that's much appreciated.

Thread: Lathe screwcutting
06/03/2019 11:47:20

Larry, I think the point of the inverted tool was because Plasma was cutting away from the chuck rather than towards it.

Thread: Myford Lathe on Ebay
06/03/2019 02:48:29

It's quite an old one but a good selection of accessories to go with it. I can see some of the professional lathe breakers getting frothy over this one.

Thread: Mystery Milling Vice
05/03/2019 19:01:59

After an awful lot of internet surfing, it seems to suggest it's a Gressel and although outwardly having the appearance of hydraulic vice, the hex controls a cam that changes the clamping force by a mechanical means. It seems the bronze spacer I added is irrelevant and there should be two stops screwed in either side of the handle where I thought a part was missing.

05/03/2019 18:02:47

Does anyone recognise the make of this large milling vice and/or possibly have an instruction manual? There is a piece missing at the handle end (I've put in a bronze bush as a temporary fix) and it has a strange sprung action when initially closed at which point you can continue turning the handle before coming to a solid stop. There's also some kind of cam operated by a hex socket on the top moving jaw but it doesn't seem to do anything. Despite this, it's obviously a quality piece of gear and I'd be interested to know more about it and a ball park value.

53452033_2311569092242928_8733043082691346432_o.jpg

Thread: Myford S7 countershaft bush temperature
04/03/2019 23:23:49

Heat is a result of friction so either the clearance is wrong or there's not enough effective lubrication. You could try as an experiment something like EP90 (EP = Extreme Pressure) Gear Oil as used in car gearboxes.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest