By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Trice

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Trice has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford Change Wheels
31/01/2019 21:30:25

Nice work there Rod. OK, I'm sold. FC steel is the easiest option and should do what I want.

31/01/2019 18:56:01

I'd like to cut some change wheels for the ol' Super 7 but I was curious what the collective wisdom was about what material to use. I believe genuine Myford ones are iron but can I get away with Meehanite processed iron bar or do I need a harder grade?

Thread: Telephone / Internet Scams
31/01/2019 10:02:32

It is a scam Michael so don't respond. The return email address has been spoofed. Flickr know about it.

Thread: In search of Peter Rawlinson
31/01/2019 09:58:24

I'd certainly be up for seeing them republished.

Thread: Microphone Screw Threads
31/01/2019 09:56:27

I believe the UNC and BSW equivalent sizes in question differ only in thread form (60 degrees versus 55 degree plus differences in roots and crests). Old British photographic equipment was BSW but officially UNC has been adopted and used by manufacturers for decades. Actually I think the standard used now is technically an ISO standard but its based on UNC.

31/01/2019 00:55:06

Ditto. Model engineering is a very rewarding pastime so it's nice to know he was still active.

Thread: Microphone Screw Threads
31/01/2019 00:50:44

Officially, camera/tripod threads have always been UNC. I can get my 3/8th BSW drawbar to hold in an M10 threaded collet by a sufficient number of threads to work but it only happened a few times by accident before I realised the mismatch of threads.

Thread: Myford 33t and 34t gears for metric threads
30/01/2019 16:26:14
Posted by Nigel McBurney 1 on 29/01/2019 10:29:54:

I trained and worked for six years as a scientific instrument maker and I never saw anyone screwcut a BA thread or indeed later in my life of engineering ,thousands of BA threads were cut using split dies and they did not wobble,provided a sliding die holder was used,I can recall ,that in our works some 60 years ago only one job ,a steel 1 BA screw was produced in batches of 2k that used the self opening dieholder. on a Ward 2A capstan, I can never understand why BA was ever thought of though I gather that it was instigated by a commitee and we well know the rubbish committees invent. In the smaller tooth sizes I do not see any problems with running mixed tooth angles together at slow speeds and relative short running time.

The thread form lent itself to instrument making and producing screw threads in thinner sheet (usually brass) material.

30/01/2019 11:19:04

I can only add what others have said. There is a certain comfort I think from knowing that he lives on when any of us use what we learnt from him and that his books continue to give joy to their owners when we read his words. To make people smile after one has left is the best way to leave. Sympathy and thoughts for you and your family at this sad time.

Thread: Holding sheet metal on milling table
29/01/2019 16:41:41

I'd be inclined to arrange for some kind of edge stops to stop the sheet from shifting as opposed to lifting.

29/01/2019 10:26:46

Having thought about this, I'd epoxy the sheet to a piece of good quality plywood (after scouring the back of the brass with a bit of abrasive paper) and clamp the plywood to the table. Once machined, heat the brass with a hot air gun until the bond with the epoxy is broken.

Edited By Chris Trice on 29/01/2019 10:27:15

28/01/2019 16:06:29

Can you cut a larger sheet, clamp it, produce the diamond pattern, then cut it to size? You don't say how thick your thin piece is.

Thread: Mini Lathe Rear Tool Post
27/01/2019 12:00:25

If it's Meehanite ( and it probably will be), it's a pleasure to machine. There is a hint of it being very slightly harder for about a millimetre at the surface but nothing a cutter can't cope with.

Thread: The Diamond Tool Holder
26/01/2019 03:44:38
Posted by Lathejack on 25/01/2019 20:22:23:

I have been reading with interest all the comments about the Eccentric Engineering Diamond Toolholder, and they inspired me to nip into the workshop to dig out my hardly used example that I bought from the UK supplier maybe six years ago, it cost just over £60 from the Harrogate Show I think.

My Diamond Toolholder has a trailing cutting edge when the tool is mounted at 90 Degrees to the lathes axis. In order to be able to turn and face at the same setting I have to swivel the toolpost, which is just daft. Surely a cutting tool designed to turn and face should just simply mount at 90 degrees and only swivelled round if a trailing cutting edge is required. This aspect of the tool has always annoyed me which is why I have only used it a handful of times over the years. Other than that I agree it is an excellent tool.

Almost word for word my experience too. Similarly bought about six years ago and equally frustrated by the bizarre choice of head angle. As a result, it's spent most of its time on the shelf. Since I have nothing to lose, I might cut part way through the shank, bend it to a better angle and then mig weld it.

Thread: Super glue filler
25/01/2019 14:49:53

Microballoons is a fairly broad term and not exclusively phenolic resin. Most of the ones you encounter used for balsa aircraft (because of their inherent lightness) are usually white. https://www.christinedemerchant.com/filler-micro-balloons.html

25/01/2019 14:10:49

You can also use "micro balloons" used for thickening epoxy resin into a paste.

25/01/2019 14:09:41

Yes, Sodium Bicarbonate or "baking powder" is correct. You put the powder in the hole to be filled first, then drip the glue on. The thin version works best. It will fume copiously for a few seconds though.

Thread: Metric thread cutting in a lathe
25/01/2019 14:00:32

Something I've recently started doing is if I'm cutting an "odd" thread like this, I'll make a separate short length of it at the same time as the actual item at the same settings to act as a sort of home made thread gauge next time I have make a similar thread. As you get close, it's then a case of observing carefully and very finely finessing the finished thread by frequent offering up.

25/01/2019 13:51:50
Posted by Mike Poole on 25/01/2019 13:17:10:

M12x1 is commonly used on the barrel of cylindrical Proximity Detectors.

Mike

Or the spindle of a Unimat SL lathe.

25/01/2019 02:31:41

Visual comparison with an M6 machine screw is a useful tool too. The thread form is the same but yours is just 6mm greater in diameter so if the M6 thread is measured as 5.9mm diameter, cut your 12mm master 11.9mm. You can also put the M6 in your chuck, advance the threading tool up to it so it sits fully into the existing thread, note the slide position reading and then add 3mm to the reading as your finished depth position when cutting the bigger version. Another useful tip is use a jewellers magnifying loupe to look closely at the thread to check it looks like your M6 version. Coincidentally, I've been cutting 12mm x1mm threads this week.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate