By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Trice

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Trice has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wobbly slitting saws
30/06/2019 01:12:13

I'll probably get vilified for sounding like a broken record but I've found the cheap import ones are the worst offenders by far. I usually end up making a wide arbor to grip the cutters nearer to their periphery but of course you lose cutting depth.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Top Slide Base - Alternatives?
30/06/2019 01:08:23

I built the Hemingway kit about ten years ago. It's a nice bit of kit BUT I've never had cause to use it and it's languished in a drawer ever since. I ended up custom making a beefier and larger top slide of my own design that still allows taper turning.

Thread: water supply
17/06/2019 00:53:05

For the record, it's a myth that lemmings fling themselves off cliffs. That misinformation originates with Disney.

Thread: Ebay 'photos'
10/06/2019 20:44:15

The one that gets me is people who sell chuck jaws separately who also have the jawless chuck they obviously came from for sale as well. It's like selling a car without the doors and offering the doors separately. It just comes across as miserly and penny pinching. Just sell the matched set of pieces together.

Thread: Myford boring bar help
01/06/2019 19:27:22

I can't remember if it's Sparey or Mason but the practice employed for setting the Myford Boring bar is to use a micrometer set to measure half the required bore and half the boring bar shaft diameter. I've found it is possible to gently tap the wedge piece to let go of the cutter slightly, then tap the cutter to the right position before re-wedging it tightly. The measurement is taken from the cutting tip of the cutter to opposite side of the bar. Not the most convenient set up but inexpensive.

01/06/2019 11:50:52
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 31/05/2019 11:34:51:

Hello Mark,

It looks as if your boring bar is faulty, as others have said, do talk to Myford.

Andrew.

No, it is not faulty.

31/05/2019 03:46:25

TB is right. I have one of these and one hole holds the cutter while the other has piece that is flatted on one side in a slight taper. The cutter is wedged in place quite firmly but adjustment is tricky.

Thread: Interesting??
24/05/2019 01:33:44
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 24/05/2019 00:38:16:

Approximately half the population are of below average intelligence.. most people think they are above average...

Neil

By definition, "exactly" half the population are below average intelligence. That's the definition of average.

Thread: HSS or CS taps and dies
21/05/2019 22:30:46

This is Tubal Cain territory (the British one, not the internet pretender) who shows that drilling the tapping hole slightly larger than the Zeus tables (within reason) makes negligible difference to the strength of the resulting thread but vastly reduces the chance of over torquing the tap and breaking it.

Thread: stamford show vandals
21/05/2019 10:10:57

Victim impact statements should definitely form part of the judgement when it comes to sentencing. The psychological impact on these poor guys should not be dismissed as I'm sure many of them are devastated.

Thread: HSS or CS taps and dies
21/05/2019 10:03:46

Almost all mine are HSS as I do find them less prone to breakage. On that point, I think drilling the correct size pilot hole plays a bigger part in tap survival than the material it's made of and assuming of course it's sharp.

Thread: Graham Meek Myford Super 7 Screw Cutting Clutch
16/04/2019 19:26:49

(a) Yes. The disengaging rod sits neatly, if a little tightly, below the cross slide and above the aluminium housing on the rear of the bed. You may find it advantageous to make the arm the rod attaches to adjustable for length in order to fine tune it. Similarly the block that clamps to the bed that supports the other end of the rod might need tweaking depending on how close your saddle is going to get to it.

(b) No disadvantages. Mine has been fitted for at least five years.

(c) That's a question for Graham. My one suggestion would be to make the groove in the barrel which holds the lever in the neutral position via the sprung ball bearing a bit deeper than the other two locating grooves because sometimes when disengaging manually, the lever skips over the neutral position and goes into the reverse position.

Thread: LED replacement bulbs
09/04/2019 17:21:07

My recent brain fart moment was feeling environmental friendly and buying £24 worth of replacement LED bulbs for the living room ceiling light before remembering it was on a dimmer switch. Not a problem one might say if you keep it turned up but the bloody things flicker and change brightness after a few minutes and constantly need fiddling with. Going out shortly to buy whatever is still available of the incandescents they were intended to replace.

Thread: Todays DUMBO award
05/04/2019 20:33:11

Yep, I've done the cordless drill in reverse thing too except I was trying to push an apparently sharp 10mm drill through a piece of steel. Made no difference how hard I pushed for two minutes before the penny dropped.

Thread: Rulers - my pet peeve
03/04/2019 22:17:49

.... and if anyone's bought one of those tapered wedge shaped rules designed to measure the diameter of holes, I'd treat those with suspicion too. On mine, the metric size indicated too big and the imperial size indicated too small. It went in the bin.

03/04/2019 22:15:15
Posted by Hopper on 03/04/2019 07:37:37:
Posted by Chris Trice on 02/04/2019 16:43:58:

I would urge people to check their rules, particularly plastic and cheap ones, for accuracy against a known good one. You'd be surprised at some of the variance.

Actually I would not be that surprised these days. In fact, not surprised at all.

I still use my good old 6" Moore and Wright I was issued as an apprentice.

My recommendation to check was earnest and highly recommended. It's one of those things everyone takes for granted. I was horrified how much some of them vary. My go to rule is my Japanese Fisher rule cross checked against a Mitutoyo vernier.

Thread: RIP Chris Moore
02/04/2019 16:48:06

Always sad to hear of someone passing.

Thread: Rulers - my pet peeve
02/04/2019 16:43:58

I would urge people to check their rules, particularly plastic and cheap ones, for accuracy against a known good one. You'd be surprised at some of the variance.

Thread: Chinese 7x10 lathe
31/03/2019 00:22:39

Advice for buying a lathe always used to be to buy the biggest you could afford that will fit because you will invariably have things you want to turn that are frustratingly just too large for what you bought. It is also better to have a lathe with power available when a job is demanding on the machine rather than buying one that constantly struggles even when turning average jobs.

Thread: Non-Drip Gloss Paint
29/03/2019 23:52:37

Most paints separate over time since they consist of finely ground pigment mixed into a carrier base and one is usually heavier than the other. Can't think of any paint offhand that doesn't say shake or stir before use.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Meridienne; London MES
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest