By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Trice

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Trice has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: R8 instead of MT3
18/03/2019 20:43:10

R8 is my personal preference. Bridgeports use R8.

Thread: ML7-R tumbler gears
18/03/2019 15:14:29

There's a couple of decent second hand ones on eBay as we speak. I think I have a pair of good ones somewhere.

Thread: ER25 or MT2 Collets
18/03/2019 09:22:23

A set of ER collets will hold any size, imperial or metric. MT2 will only hold their designated size.

Thread: Windows Update (Again)
17/03/2019 11:46:01

Without igniting the old debate (again), all I know is I was a loyal user of Windows and PC's since 1995 and they were regular sources of stress and frustration needing constant updates that frequently screwed existing programmes up along with painfully slow boot up times. I bit the bullet four years ago and bought a Mac Book Pro. What a difference! None of the grief I previously had to put up with. Never going back to Windows.

Thread: Laptop batteries
16/03/2019 21:19:06

Result! thumbs up

Thread: VMC Mill alignment
16/03/2019 21:15:29

Your description, assuming you're measuring technique is reliable, suggests that the top of the table is square with the body of the machine and the head is where the error is. It can either be at the join where the head swings left and right (yaw), or the join that allows the head to roll not being square, or all the above is fine and the quill itself is not bored squarely with the rest of the machine. I had a similar problem but since I don't use the roll or yaw, I put a thin piece of shim brass (maybe only one and a half thou) in the lower part of the join that allows the head to roll. The shim is quite wide so I get a solid triangulated joint when bolted up. It's been like this for at least five years without issue and beautifully square machining.

Edited By Chris Trice on 16/03/2019 21:32:58

Thread: Will we be able to see Asteroid 2019 EA2 when it passes earth on March 22nd.
16/03/2019 21:02:26

Nearest approach in the UK will be 3 in the morning. It'll pass at roughly 200,000 miles which is not much nearer than the moon. It's approximately house size so if you have a telescope that could resolve a house on the Moon while tracking the object, you stand a chance. Otherwise, it's unlikely you'll see even a pin prick of light without knowing where to look.

Thread: Soba rotary table
15/03/2019 21:50:12

That's the one I've got and your experience pretty much matches mine except in my case there was no hardened grease problem. It's a nice piece of kit well worth the money.

Thread: Dore Westbury Mill
15/03/2019 16:20:46

I've seen the machine (that's how I know about it) and it's a fine example. I think it has the very useful Dore Westbury design vice to go with it that opens much wider than a lot of commercial vices. I used to own an identical machine many years ago and they're very capable.

Thread: Errors and Omissions
15/03/2019 15:05:37

Drawings can be altered providing the author or their estate are happy for it to happen and that the person "publishing" the drawings also has the right to publish them.

Edited By Chris Trice on 15/03/2019 15:06:06

Thread: Dore Westbury Mill
15/03/2019 14:39:54

Home And Workshop Machinery have just taken in a Dore Westbury. Worth talking to them. Although they're in SE London, they will deliver.

Thread: Machine tool suppliers
15/03/2019 09:47:36

+1 for Chris and Steve at HWM.

Thread: Soba rotary table
15/03/2019 09:35:39
Posted by Ron Laden on 15/03/2019 08:06:09:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 15/03/2019 08:00:30:
Posted by Ron Laden on 15/03/2019 07:45:34:
I was quite surprised to read you have a pair of Chinese (Vertex) rotary tables Chris, from a good number of your posts you do tend to give the impression that you wouldnt touch anything Chinese with a barge pole. I assume you must be quite happy with them then..?

I don't want to speak for Chris, Ron ... But I think it's fair to say that the early Vertex tables [made in Taiwan] were produced to an acceptable standard. They were certainly good enough for Myford [Beeston] to sell a version under its own name.

The problem is ... those standards appear to have slipped.

MichaelG.

Morning Michael,

I thought the early Vertex were made in China and finished in Taiwan but I could be wrong.

Ron

Myford milling machines were made in Taiwan but tweaked (if necessary) by Myford (i.e. quality control checked) BEFORE they went to the customer. I've had VMC for years and very pleased with it. Michael hits nail on head (see my previous comment).

15/03/2019 09:31:59
Posted by Ron Laden on 15/03/2019 07:45:34:
I was quite surprised to read you have a pair of Chinese (Vertex) rotary tables Chris, from a good number of your posts you do tend to give the impression that you wouldnt touch anything Chinese with a barge pole. I assume you must be quite happy with them then..?

I've mentioned earlier on in the thread that the two (older) Vertex rotary tables (and a couple of collet sets) I have I'm very pleased with although ironically all the chat here about changing allegiances to different factories and missing bearings while creditably honest actually weakens my faith in them as a brand. It comes back to my previous point about how is a customer supposed to grow faith in a particular brand and choose them over others if the brand keeps changing their standards?

15/03/2019 00:49:57
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 14/03/2019 20:10:42:
Posted by Chris Trice on 14/03/2019 18:51:48:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 14/03/2019 17:45:32:
Posted by Neil Lawton on 14/03/2019 17:10:49:

That is what annoys me the most too. I simply don't want to buy something based on pot luck and the continual aggravation of sending stuff back and forth until you get a good one.

In that case Chris, why don't you go up-market?

Special offer today at Chester:

rt.jpg

And if that's not good enough, how about Cutwel's? (Only £3872.24!)

bison.jpg

Just for laughs the VAT on the Bison is £645.37. That's very nearly enough to get you a £499 Chester and a £150 Warco...

I'm not sure there's much mileage in complaining about inexpensive tools - they are what they are. And no-one has to buy them.

How about complaining about the opposite case: why should hobbyists have to pay £3872.24 just to get a decent rotary table? It's a scandal!

devil

Dave

It's not about chasing tenths of thou's. It's about the failure to meet the basics claimed for the product. One would expect a collet chuck designed to fit a Myford spindle would actually be able to be screwed on and not be too small. It's not unreasonable for the customer to expect the product to actually do that simple thing.

14/03/2019 18:51:48
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 14/03/2019 17:45:32:
Posted by Neil Lawton on 14/03/2019 17:10:49:

Who is doing the checking that the quality is good and consistent: manufacturer/supplier/seller/user. It all feels a bit hit and miss.

I think that sums it up pretty well, Neil

Unfortunately ... at the hobbyists' price point, I think it most likely that the user provides the quality check.

The better suppliers will, or course, refund/replace a demonstrably bad item ... but the onus seems to be on the end-user to do the checking.

MichaelG.

That is what annoys me the most too. I simply don't want to buy something based on pot luck and the continual aggravation of sending stuff back and forth until you get a good one.

14/03/2019 18:47:53
Posted by mgnbuk on 14/03/2019 14:11:36:

I have had mixed experiences with Soba tooling (more bad than good), to the point that I avoid the brand now.

Nigel B

Glad I'm not the only one although stating it can get you vilified.

13/03/2019 16:20:29
Posted by geoff walker 1 on 13/03/2019 09:23:31:

On accuracy this table is 7.5 degrees out over a full 360 degree rotation of the table. The hand wheel dial is indexed with 7.5 degrees and the hand wheel rotates exactly 47 times for one rotation of the table, should of course be 48.

I'd argue this qualifies it as worthless junk since it renders many of the tasks a rotary table is reasonably expected to do as unreasonably difficult and therefore not fit for purpose. I'm sure if your life depended on it, you could achieve all sorts of miracles using it if you had to but you shouldn't have to, regardless of how cheap it was.

Thread: What thinner for Enamel paint.
13/03/2019 01:44:57

Any oil based enamel paint is usually thinned with White Spirit and also used to clean any brushes or spray gear.

Thread: Is a hand chamfer worthwhile?
12/03/2019 10:35:38
Posted by JasonB on 12/03/2019 07:07:26:

I use one of these for holes 6-12mm

Anything bigger gets a Noga style curved blade round th edge

Ditto. I recommend the exact same tools.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest