By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Halton Tank

Here is a list of all the postings Halton Tank has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition 2021 Cancelled
17/09/2020 21:53:12

Just to let you all know that the London Model Engineering Exhibition at Alexandra Palace in January 2021 has been cancelled.

For more information see **LINK**

Regards Luigi.

Thread: Today's delivery
29/07/2020 23:24:02

img_4346.jpg

Thread: Yahoo groups
20/07/2020 18:33:24

A lot of the groups migrated to Groups.io site. Try looking at https://groups.io

I had quick look and found a group for Smart & Brown Model M.

Hope this helps.

Regards Luigi

Thread: paint colour
05/06/2020 22:29:14

It depends what period of time you want you want your loco to be, as they would have different paint schemes during their life times. Assuming you are modeling No. 841, it was built in 1926 at Eastleigh and most likely be out shopped in Dark Olive Green. Malachite Green was introduced by Bullied, but that does not necessarly mean the loco was repainted. In BR days it would almost certainly be painted black.

Regards Luigi

Edited By Halton Tank on 05/06/2020 22:30:31

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
21/10/2019 23:42:16

I went on Thursday and generally my partner and I enjoyed ourselves. Yes, it took us about 10 minutes from the roundabout to parking the car, and another 10 minutes to queue for breakfast, and makes me wonder what people would say now when you had to queue 2 to 3 hours just to get in at Model Engineering show when it was held at Wenbley Conference in the 80s.

Speaking to the on the 17D Minatures Model stand, they said that they decided to limit themselves to 2 exhibitions a year (Doncaster and the Midlands), not so much because of cost, but because the disruption it causes to their daily business.

Regarding Warco, from what I have read, they have not stopped going to exhibitions, just decided to not go to the Midlands, and as far as know they will be at Alexandra Palace, though I could be corrected.

Regards

Luigi

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition - Alexandra Palace
20/01/2019 08:04:38

Sorry I didn't get the chance to upload more photos to thread, but they can be seen in my album. If it seemed that it was a bit thin of people in my photos, that was because they rwere taken before the public was admitted.

Regards Luigi

18/01/2019 22:30:12

Spent the day at show as a steward on the Northolt MRC stand. Here are some photos of the club stand and others. Will load some more piccys tomorrow.

Regards Luigi

20190118_092010.jpg20190118_092031.jpg20190118_092100.jpg20190118_092114.jpg20190118_092302.jpg20190118_092430.jpg

Thread: The demise of the High Street
03/12/2018 22:01:02

There are many reasons for the decline of retail shops in the high street but I think that the main reason for downward trend was the ending of the Retail Price Maintenance in the mid sixties. Before that the price of an item was determined by the manufacturer and it had to be sold at that price irrespective if it was by a one man business or large high street chain. With the ending of RPM, yes there was drop in price for a lot of items for a while but then prices rose rapidly in the years after (just like with the privatations of the utilities). In the days of RPM stayed steady for years on end.

Also shops now tend to be owned by property companies and it seems that they prefered to lease shops to big chains rather than sole traders, though I gather now they are starting to feel the pinch with number of the 'big boys' going under.

Thread: Hobby related jokes
03/03/2018 23:18:24

As an engineer I try to design things that are idiot proof.

Trouble is, they are making better idiots !

Luigi.

Thread: 5" gauge BIG BERTHA
28/01/2018 18:02:05

Hi Alan,

There was one model built in the early 80s by a R.Stubbs of Welling & District MES. I remember it being displayed at Model Engineer Exhibitions at Wembley. As far as I recall there no published designs, but contacting Welling Club may elicit more information.

Luigi

Thread: Where to Start
22/01/2018 19:34:23

James,

Several things that you might want to consider before decide on which loco you are going to build.

Realistically you looking at 5 to 10 year project or longer, so, do want build a loco for the sake of building it, or because you want to drive it. If later you might want to consider a kit loco that you can quickly build and have some to play with whilst you are building your dream loco.

Secondly consider weight, same 5" 0-6-0 tank engine like a Simplex will weigh around 1cwt (50kg) ish, whilst a 5" Britannia will be double. 71/4" will probably double the weight of 5" engines. These weights have to considered when you building the loco, but also in transporting the engines, how it access from workshop to car, do I have help, are steps or steep slopes involved. The answers to these questions more define your choice.

My best advice is to join a club where advice and help are usually available and to take time before making a choice.

Luigi

Thread: London model engineering exhibition
22/01/2018 19:04:33

Neil,

In this case the competition for best stand is voted by the clubs themselves. Each club or organization eligible is given a voting form where they vote for three stands placing them in order of 1st, 2nd and 3rd. You cannot vote for own stand.

Should point out that in this show there no competion models, and all the models on show are the work of club members (mainly), and was sad to see that a number of clubs had decided not to exhibit this year.

Regards

Luigi

22/01/2018 13:59:50

The voting for best club stand was close this year. Harlington came 1st, Chelmsford and Northolt MRC were joint 2nd, there were 3 clubs that were joint 3rd but I can't remember which.

Some photos of models which caught my interest.

lmee18_0015.jpglmee18_0012s.jpg

lmee18_0013s.jpg

lmee18_0011s.jpg

lmee18_0009s.jpg

Thread: winsons 14xx
17/08/2017 21:08:22

Hi George,

I have a Winsons14xx kit and I can scan the appropriate parts the instruction manual. If you send me a PM with your email address and detailed requirements I will scan the appropriate pages and email them to you. I am a tad busy at the moment so this would not happen for a couple of weeks.

Regards

Luigi

Edited By Halton Tank on 17/08/2017 21:09:13

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition
14/01/2017 13:30:32

I will be there all three days as I am stewarding on the Northolt MRC stand. You welcome to say hi, just ask for Luigi or Lu.

Thread: The Alternate Glossary
12/11/2016 10:32:54

For those who still at work, you have :-

TGIF = Thank God It's Friday

and of course Friday is POETS day, ie P*ss Off Early Tomorrow is Saturday.

Regards

Luigi

Thread: 80015 2-6-4t what is her history??
02/11/2016 19:03:15

The prototype 80015 was introduced into service on 15/09/1951 being built at BR Brighton Works. It was sheded at 75F Tunbridge Wells West until that shed closed in 1963, where it was transferred to 70A Nine Elms shed. The loco was withdrawn from service in 07/1967.

Regards Luigi

Thread: Insurance companies
12/10/2016 21:38:12

Recently I renewed my car insurance and noticed that it might be advisable not to drive at time of change over the old policy to the new one as the old expires at 23:59 and new one does not start until 00:01, so for 2 minutes you uninsured.

Luigi

Thread: Windows 10 Anniversary Edition - Any Experience Yet?
12/10/2016 21:24:10

Things now have gotten worse. After I post my message last night I got a notification that my computers needed a restart. So duly shut down the applications that run 24/7 and restarted the computers. The laptop restarted first and I found it would not accept my password, whilst I was trying work out what was going on my desktop computer had restarted and it was asking to be logged in, which was strange because it was set up to start with logging in. It dawned on that the update had changed the signing in to my Microsoft Account and not local logging in set up.

This would not matter much except that my Microsoft account was set up using email address of my previous ISP which means I can't receive verification codes to change passwords etc, and In Microsoft account you cannot change the email address. Arrrgggghhh !!

Regards Luigi

11/10/2016 19:11:57

Arrrgghh !

I had a update on windows 10 today and it made me pull whats left of my hair.

I was adding a new line to Excel spreadsheet having copied it from the previous line. When I went to change the date it would displaying it in American mode (MM/DD/YYY) rather than UK mode (DD/MM/YYYY). Changing the formatting of the cell did not make any change, the new date would still end up in US mode. What the update did was to change Base Computer setting from UK to US. Check the display next to the clock on the Task bar it should say 'ENG' rather than 'US'

Regards

Luigi

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
cowells
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest