By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Limpet

Here is a list of all the postings Limpet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electronic Lead Screw Project
15/02/2020 18:25:31

Hi Dias

I can answer one of your questions ALM would be for Alarm both + and -

Lionel

Thread: Australian Bush Fires
06/01/2020 12:36:19

Paul, XD351 & all our friends from down under, the devastation you are suffering is truly alarming irrespective of the true cause. We hope that you get rain soon (however unlikely) and your situation there improves. Best wishes and good luck for the immediate future

Lionel

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
06/01/2020 12:22:28

Jason - I feel a bit of an idiot now, when you said the flywheel was tube I thought you meant a tube rolled in a circle not a slice of it and I was beginning to wonder how you got the weight up to act as a flywheel, all is now clear - Doh

30/12/2019 19:32:54

You're a gent Phil many thanks- looks like I'll have to quickly finish the 3 phase motor inverter upgrade for the ML7 so I can play

Edit typo

Edited By Limpet on 30/12/2019 19:33:37

30/12/2019 17:20:42

Well my encoder arrived today, I wasn't expecting for at least another couple of weeks, so I nearly have all the bits to bench test, it's getting all exciting.

23/12/2019 21:53:46

Still waiting for mine I'm expecting it mid Jan

Lionel

Thread: 3D printer recommendations
07/12/2019 19:24:29

In case anyone is misled by my comment above about assembling the Ender 3 the lower half comes pre-assembled and it's just a case of assembling the top half which are in small assemblies approx 1-1/2 hours to switch on

Lionel i

07/12/2019 18:48:34

Jeff I will keep an eye on the springs and change then if they start to drift There is so much to learn as I'm still trying to get my head round fusion slowly but it is rewarding to actually hold something in your hand rather than just on the screen.

07/12/2019 16:57:12

Well I received my Creality Ender-3 Pro today, assembled as per instructions, and set the bed as per the instructions from CHEP (youtube) and to my surprise my first print looked like it should - ok it probably needs a bit of tweaking but I was well impressed for a first attempt - the main problem I had was the included software would not load under windows 10 - so I downloaded Cura and all was good, my first print was a dice from thingiverse - Looks like I'm now hooked

Lionel

07/12/2019 11:57:57

From what I understand ( I could quite easily be wrong) as Robert says if the stepper is large and accurate enough a closed loop is not required however bearing in mind that most? of us are not prepared to buy industrial quality motors and are probably not of that standard. As the spindle encoder is calculating position ever milli second or so (if I remember right from the video) the servo motor is checking position at each calculation and adjusting if required whereas a stepper motor could (like a servo) miss a step or two - through additional torque required through cutting forces on a tougher spot in the material - the servo will correct the small amount on the fly while the stepper will compound the error to the end of operation.

Lionel

06/12/2019 18:36:20

Thanks Zan I remember now that Clough42 plugged the encoder into the driver so it looks like I will be getting a servo motor and driver. I might try it with just a stepper to check what torque motor I need as I have some. I'm still at the thinking/waiting stage until I get some parts arrive, i also thinking of adding a magnetic clutch in the lead screw drive chain so i can still use the handle on the end without worrying about induced voltages generated by the motor, as i said still at the thing stage

Lionel

06/12/2019 17:41:48

I'm just wondering but does anyone know if you can attach another encoder to a normal stepper and where would it plug in, as I have a few encodes and several types of stepper,us t trying to save a few penniesj

Thread: 3D printer recommendations
05/12/2019 22:50:41

Tony

I've had the same dilemma, I've been looking for months now and just ordered the ender 3. I'm unable to dither any longer as my next main project will need me to test parts before cutting metal

Lionel

05/12/2019 22:45:42

Well I'm committed now, ordered the Texas board and led key pad today. Tomorrow I'm hoping to find the encodes I squirreled away a couple years ago and see what they are. I'm still undecided whether to use the stepper motor or servo motor and what size for am ML7, is a nema 24 big enough?

Lionel

04/12/2019 13:05:21

I've just come across this and think it's brilliant. So far I've watched the first eight of Clough42 videos, more tonight.

Phil I've just pmd you if you still have some boards, ordered my Ti boards from mouse today. Fitting it on a ML7

Are most going for the servo or stepper option

Lionel

Thread: DraftSight no longer free
07/04/2019 19:31:57

Am I missing something or am I just "special" but my version of Draftsight is still fine even after having to re-download it about 2/3 months ago after a big PC crash ( total reload of everthing). No problems at all and no messagesasking for money.

Thread: Inverter
12/03/2019 22:17:24

I fitted a tec motor and inverted inverter to my lathe front inverter drive.com all went together nice and easy. The machine is much better to use

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
10/03/2019 08:03:59

Swarf, Mostly!

Thanks for the parts listing, useful info

V8Eng

I suspect the reassembly may take a little longer - the bedways look good so is worth the effort.

I may even put a few extras in like clutch, ball racees on the feedscrtews and DRO still deciding

Luckily I still have the DB8 to use until it goes when this is working.

I'll post up what's left over so was obviously not needed in the first place :0 :0 :0

09/03/2019 19:54:31

20190220_154845.jpg

Not just today but last week acquired this ML7, it needed a little TLC

20190309_113702.jpg

It's now in a lot of bits - anyone know how it goes together

Thread: Plastic Balls in Bearings?
24/02/2019 18:49:49

They've been using plastic, ceramic and glass balls in bearings for the photo processing industry lfor years, ight loads and corrosive chemistry

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest