By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for D.A.Godley

Here is a list of all the postings D.A.Godley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
27/04/2014 22:41:34

I am with TomK : Air rifle target where having struck the target, a trip is hit releasing the latch which is activated by the spring bringing the striker into contact with the bell. Utterly overengineered for the application , so perhaps one of our Moderators made it ? .

18/04/2014 21:21:17
Posted by Oompa Lumpa on 18/04/2014 20:30:11:

You are both a rotten unfeeling pair of Gits!

I have just come to the conclusion that you are a very perceptive individual laugh

Thread: roller / ball bearing races
20/02/2014 19:41:00

Dom ;-

Should you decide to go with bearings, you would do yourself no harm by checking prices at either ;

AK Bearings, or Engineers Mate Ltd,

both from whom I have had excellent service and enjoyed really competitive prices, but who, other than being a satisfied customer, I have no connection with .

regards,

David.

Thread: ARC Eurotrade
04/02/2014 19:56:25

Bill Pudney :- Thats a statement of the obvious and no doubt a sentiment that you yourself have visited on occassions

John Coats :- I am enjoying retirement far too much to return to running a business,

Lambton :- If memory serves me , both Chronos and Chester fully supported the Midland show with comprehensive stands,

Bill Dawes :- Bill in now way was I critisizing you , and I hope your new purchase exceeds your expectations. Arc supply excellent products and I believe give similar service, however , that is not my complaint.

As I have stated before , those traders who attend our shows should be supported by us purchasing from them wherever possible.

With all the bleating about how difficult it is to man a stand, and to pay for it, perhaps they should look at those who continue to attend . RDG dont do it at a loss, niether do CES , Allendale, Blackgates, Cup Alloys,Transwave, etc etc.

I remember Arc when they had not much more than a dining table size stand at Donnington when they were introducing themselves to us, they have grown due to hard work, but also our patronship, and if they cant be bothered to continue to support us at shows, and this goes for other traders no longer attending, then I feel that those who do present themselves, deserve our custom.

p.s. I am not offended by others having a different point of view.

regards, DAG

03/02/2014 23:09:09

Shame they cant turn up at the ME Shows now that they are established.

Thread: TOS Chucks
25/01/2014 20:43:16

Strange you should mention that John, I was in Birmingham yesterday getting a little play thing when I asked how much for a set of hard jaws: £220 *** shock horror.

I can't believe it !!!!

Thread: Ally Pally show
23/01/2014 19:47:57

I have to agree with Limpet, we use these shows or we lose them !. The internet is great and most useful but as Supermarkets were to Corner Shops , it will be the death of the Shows as they are just now, if not used in a responsible way.

As I said earlier, I went to the Show at Ally Pally, but could not carry all that I wanted, I therefore dealt with one of the Traders who had Exhibited there over the phone this week and bought what I wanted, the point being that, though I could purchase cheaper from some suppliers who had not been at the show, I felt strongly that those who had been there had earned the right to have the business, whats more ,having informed this particular supplier of this, they matched their competitors price. Win , Win in my view.

Oompa Lumpa seems to contradict what the majority are saying in regard to Exhibitors costs, he says , if I understand him correctly, that he is bombarded with great rates as an inducement to take a show stand ?,are these rates not also on offer to the other traders ?.

I personally think that the shows have been used by certain traders to establish their businesess, and having done so, and having created a decent customer base from the modelling fraternity, they now wish to profit from our business without attending the shows. I strongly urge anyone making a purchase to use those who provide us with the respect of exhibiting at our various shows and in turn support them wherever possible.

20/01/2014 21:06:05

I attended the show on Saturday and thought it was busy , certainly busier than on previous visits, however, the reduced number of Trade people was disappointing, but I think those who did attend should be commended.

Warco had a comprehensive stand as did RDG, these seem to be the mainstays whichever show you attend, Chester were reduced but there! and Axminster attended, albeit with more staff than products on offer, well it appeared that way to me, but again, well done for turning in. Small tool suppliers were there and all having items to temp , I had backache carrying home my purchases.

There is certainly some appeal to the greater range of interests at this show compared with others and it was good to see so many youngsters( I am 69 ) getting so much out of the demonstrations ranging from flying ,metal bashing robots trucks, Boats, and hands on lathe work.

As has been said earlier , its not the best show, that used to be Donnington until it moved to its current site,that said,it was only a nats whisker in front of Harrogate which now reigns supreme, nothing to touch it. I have not done Bristol yet ,this year I hope, may reorganise preferences after that, we will see.

I do hope most had just such an enjoyable day as did I .

regards, DAG

Thread: Outstanding Service
25/12/2013 20:33:43

When it comes to serviice, I have to relate my experience of to-day , Yes Christmas Day !!

The good lady wife had purchased an item, as a present for me, from Chronos.

Upon unwrapping it this morning I found it was faulty, deep disappointment.

I ,therefore, dashed off an e-mail for when they opened, I assumed on Friday, requesting a replacement.

Unbelievably , within the shake of a gnats tail I had a response promissing to despatch a replacement on Friday.

Now thats Service !!!!.

Thread: acid
02/11/2013 17:52:02

A splash of household bleach, added when the mix is made, prevents any unwanted growth, at least , this has been my experience when using citric acid.

regards,

David.

Thread: Making a piano hinge bind and get stiffer
03/03/2013 19:00:05
Posted by Mark P. on 03/03/2013 18:42:47:

Hit it wiv an ammer!

Mark P.

Don't you mean a Brumigam spanner ???

Thread: Workholding questions!
19/02/2013 19:40:06
Posted by Chris Parsons on 18/02/2013 22:32:39:

20130218_220602[1].jpg

20130218_220617[1].jpg

Looks like I will be OK? If I take it slow, once one side is done it will sit a bit further into the chuck perhaps? Feels pretty solid, I guess when it flies past my ear I will know how solid...

The image below shows the cap screw supplied with the 4 jaw, and a bolt fitted from the 3 jaw. The difference between the two is 4mm, but my logic is if the shorter bolts (16mm) are OK for the 3 jaw they will be OK for the 4 jaw - and there are 4 bolts not 3 as well

20130218_220650[1].jpg

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone

Chris

Chris,

Give the bar a bit of wellie with an angle grinder to create a flat sufficient to move the centre of the bar within the chuck jaws, put it on slow revs auto crossfead and go have a cup of tea.

Simple's .

Thread: Terrier Boiler
07/02/2013 19:51:10

Ian; You will get the service and materials you require at a place in Birmingham called " John Keatley (Metals) Ltd". 33-35 Shadwell Street, B4 6HD tel 01212364300 fax 01212368576. www.johnkeatleymetals.com .

I assure you, I have no connection with them other than a very satisfied customer, as, I am sure ,you will be should you purchase from them.

regards,

David

Thread: Pickle solution for Gauge 1 Boilers
01/01/2013 16:56:10

I have used Citric Acid for some while now ,it being much more user friendly and as effective as alternatives.

A tip I was given ,so that its life is extended , is to add a splash of bleach into the mix . When stored in washed out plastic milk containers , it keeps good for months without going off.

Thread: Source of small quantities of spring steel
27/12/2012 18:33:49
Posted by Stub Mandrel on 27/12/2012 13:11:42:

Thanks Jeff,

I've had a coil of blue spring steel ona spool in my workshop for years. You've just made me remmebr where I got it from - recoil starter off an old genny!

Neil

Your post did it for me Stub, brought memories of an old Jenny flooding back, Ah the delights of Nairobi 1969. Now that was Model engineering!!!emotion

Thread: 7 1/4" Singapore
14/09/2012 20:55:56
Posted by Brian Baker 1 on 14/09/2012 17:56:25:

Hi Dave, have you checked Station Road Steam?

I think they have a set of castings listed at the moment.

regards

Leighsteamer

Brian; thanks, Yes I had checked them out but those castings were sold in April.

Kind of you to notify me though.

regards, David.

14/09/2012 17:25:47

Thank you to all who responded to my request for help.

I was given the name of a supplier ( GS Supplies ) who has taken over patterns for this locomotive , and which are being looked at currently with a view to arriving at Casting prices .

I have not previously dealt with GS but already I am pleased with the prompt reply to my enquiry and, therefore, have high expectations of product quality and service, and perhaps a forlorn hope of economic ,as in cheap prices.face 1

Tight screws, and regards to all

09/09/2012 08:57:47

Would someone advise me of a supplier for the castings for this model.

Though I have the serialised "Martin Evans " build articles I am having great difficulty in establishing whether there is a supplier of the castings.

Thread: Wanted ME Issue 4065, 4067, 4069 for tricycle articles
10/03/2012 15:40:55

Hi Shane,

Do you yet have the copies you require ???, if not I am able to photocopy them and send them to you.

Let me know .

regards,

David.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest