By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for D.A.Godley

Here is a list of all the postings D.A.Godley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: C95 spring steel
28/01/2017 22:31:56

I have some material spare , I used it to make the leaf springs for the locomotive which I am building .

What thickness material are you looking for ? .

Thread: Copper rivets
17/01/2017 22:44:23

Chris

I would recommend Sapphire Products , from whom I bought some just a few days ago , ordered Thursday , delivered Friday , their service is superb . I have no connection other than satisfied customer .

Thread: Churchkhela
22/07/2016 21:46:58

As in Russian Georgia ? .

Thread: Parting Tools
16/04/2016 22:09:12

+1 with Vic, that Chronos parting tooling is superb ! , I have the insert type also , but it is definitely inferior and I am so happy to have bought the 100mm M35 which performs faultlessly .

Thread: Broaches
01/03/2016 22:51:16

I bought a broach from RDG last year , I also was ignorant so far as type's and shim's were concerned, but I spoke with Richard, either he or Christian are the guys to talk to when advice is needed , I received exactly what I needed.

But I must admit, Jason's advice does take some beating ! .

Thread: Advice sought
01/03/2016 22:35:57

Norman,

Is it a fob operated key lock? , in which case is the fob battery dead .

Many fob operated locking systems are overcome because the manufacturers fit a mechanical override, this is placed under a removable cover on the door handle / lock fitting , and often it will be on the passenger door, Bentleys used to fit the to the boot lock so that you could open the boot and have access to the battery.

Most Recovery agencies carry a ballon kit which is placed in between the door and roof to hold it open whilst putting a rod in to flick the manual door opener, are you a member of the RAC , or do you have a family member who can be with you. It's the person who is the member, not the vehicle.

Hope these thoughts will stimulate some approach to resolving your problem.

Regards.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2016)
28/02/2016 21:01:38

Spent the day at our ME Club track where two fellow members and myself planted 320 saplings to form a hedgerow.

The saplings were a mixture of Hawthorn , Hazel , Field Maple , Spindleberry and Crabapple , each being staked and protected with tubing.

It was tiring but satisfying .

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread (2016)
24/02/2016 20:33:09

Having eventually found a source of annealed Spring steel suitable for the job, I have spent the last couple of days cutting and dressing the leaf springs for my current build, the 7 1/4" Singapore saddle tank engine.

The springs now have to be formed and then heat-treated to 46 - 50 Rockwell . I hope finding a business to do the H/T will be easier than finding the material.image.jpeg

Thread: How To Post Pictures/Photographs and Create Albums
24/02/2016 20:06:08

Not sure I fully understand , something to do with allowing access to the photo file, but I have got there in the end, sorry to have bothered you

Regards,

David

24/02/2016 19:43:06

If I want to upload a photo into my album from my IPad, how do I go about it ?

I have tried to follow the posted advice, but get nowhere ! And I know you have dealt with it before , but clearly, my technophobic abilities far surpass those of previous enquirers. One to one training may be required .🙄

Regards,

David.

Thread: MEW 239
23/02/2016 22:45:01

Having, on previous occasions, called into question the direction which I felt Neil was taking his magazine , I would like to complement him on this issue ( 239 ) which I thought was especially good. I look forward to many more in a similar vein, Well Done Neil

Thread: Motor issues
21/11/2015 22:38:28

John,

I have a Centec 2B horizontal machine , to which I added the Vertical head , and I love it.

Since I have No knowledge of electrics, my ( late and much missed ) friend kindly wired a reversing switch, purchased from eBay , and sourced from China, to my motor which is single phase.

So, yes it can be done , just ensure a competent person does it for you.

David.

Edited By D.A.G. on 21/11/2015 22:39:20

Thread: 25 years of Model Engineers' Workshop Special
17/11/2015 09:23:39

There were 3 copies in WH Smiths Winchester on Sunday 15-11-2015

Thread: What direction should this forum be taking?
16/11/2015 16:19:40

It will be noted that I do not post very often , however , I do read every issue and most articles therein.

I have never got to the point of feeling confident enough about contributing, my skills and knowledge fall a long way short of those who do, and who I frankly respect, but I do feel strongly that a magazine/ forum should be true to its title and this is where I feel that since Neil took over from David , it has lost its integrity.

The first issue spelled out its mission, with its accent firmly on making things , concentrating on Workshops and their use , plus making models.

The one good thing which Neil has done in my view is to add the Tea Room thread, which is where any subject not in keeping with the original aims of the magazine /forum should be housed.

Many thanks to those who do contribute articles and suggestions , especially Angels Breath, went out , bought the ingredients , made it used it, Great ! .

I currently have underway at the moment the 7 1/4" Singapore loco and a Stent type T&C grinder, I doubt very much that they will ever be revealed on here, like the Sweet Pea I have already made, they are for my own pleasure regardless of their failings which I am aware of , and wish others not to see.

Thread: Old Magazines Available
16/11/2015 15:36:05

Martyn,

It just so happens that , yesterday, I made an enquiry about the July and August issues for 1992. I am attempting to make a D Broadley spindle to us on a Stent type T&C grinder.

If those are available individually, or if you desire as a batch , would you inform me and let me know what you want in payment .

David.

Edited By D.A.G. on 16/11/2015 15:36:54

Thread: Can't Read Magazine Online!!!!
06/07/2015 22:11:04

Roy ; I think you may be a little harsh with your criticism. I, like you had an issue when I first joined on line, however, after emailing Pocketmags , the issue was promptly rectified .

I hope your issue is similarly overcome.

Thread: Die Head Advice
16/05/2015 23:05:18

Sorry , that should be pounceatron.dreamhosters.com

16/05/2015 23:03:45

You can download the complete handbook on specs and maintenance for Coventry Die Heads if you visit ;

pounce atom.dreamhosters.com .

He PDF. Is almost at the bottom and it is a bit slow, but well worth it.

Regards,

David

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
21/04/2015 22:18:15
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 21/04/2015 11:17:10:

What did I do today? ... Finally gave up searching, and decided to ask for help:

A while ago, I posted a link to a very handy little on-line 'circular divisions' generator.

... I can't find it crying 2

Does anyone remember it, please.

MichaelG.

Note: it's not the 'Setting Circles' one [which is also excellent].

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 21/04/2015 11:18:40

Are you referring to www.cgtk.co.uk. ? .

Thread: 5ba socket screws
04/04/2015 15:13:23

Have you looked at Socket & Allied Screw Co Ltd ? , a Birmingham firm that appear to have a comprehensive range of screws.

Regards,

David.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest