By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for D.A.Godley

Here is a list of all the postings D.A.Godley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: bronze bar
22/08/2018 22:46:58

I would recommend John Keatley ( Metals) Ltd , they can normally supply most items we need .

0121 236 4300 Birmingham . www.johnkeatleymetals.com

I have no connection to them other than as a satisfied customer .

Thread: Bench Mounting a Warco WM280V
22/08/2018 22:36:27

As you say , a spacer is needed between the Lathe bed mounting feet and the bench top .

I simply cut some ply to fit the space beneath the drip tray , but which supported the feet. The securing bolts went through the tray , the spacer and the bench to ensure complete stability , though the fixing holes in the feet were a challenge to get the bolts through ! .

Thread: Obtaining flat bronze bar
10/04/2018 22:28:01

If you have not yet sourced this material , give John Keatley Metals a call .

They are i Birmingham 33-35 Shadwell Street , B4 6HD. 0121 236 4300. , have a web site which should indicate their stock lines , and are a most helpful company from whom i and many colleagues purchase our model making materials from.

Hope this helps

David .

Thread: Warco. WM280V-F
20/02/2018 19:11:30

Dave ; well done with the album, I am sure it will be useful going forward! .

Les ; Today I turned the Lathe through 90 degrees so that I could access the rear panel, during a check on the wire connections I discovered that ( see photo of connector block 13/12/17 ) one of the two brown wires , which were joined in a white jointer , had come adrift ,though was still within the sheath. Despite it being loose, it must still have been making contact , hence the machine working ? .

Not having connectors of that type , I removed it , soldered the two wires together , and replaced them in the connector block .

I haven’t yet had time to swing the Lathe back , (note to myself , I must try it running before I do that ) but I am confident it will be ok , thanks again .

David

17/02/2018 22:36:16

Les ; I am afraid I have to own up to an indulgence of laziness! , the Lathe has been performing well and the thought of undoing the 6 clamping bolts and swinging it round through 90 degrees was too much ,However , now you have highlighted my sloth, and since I am spared certain domestic chores this week , I will get the job done .

In fairness , it is remiss of me to ask for , and receive assistance , and then not respond in a way which may help others , thanks for the prompt .

David .

Thread: Anyone shed light on this?
10/02/2018 22:45:22

Top left looks to me like a tangential thread cutting piece from a Landis head ,top right tap removal tool , centre next to reamer appears to be a knurling tool . Pass on other items .

04/02/2018 17:56:44

Les ; you are right I shall have to bite the bullet and crank the Lathe round so that I can get to the rear properly and fix it , thanks .

Dave ; thank you also for taking time out to send photos of the specific bits that I need to examine , most helpful! , as per above , will do

Regards both ,

David

04/02/2018 14:50:52

Les ; again thank you .

Rather than unbolt the machine and swing it away from the wall , I removed the front plate ( on which the speed indicator is mounted ) and found just behind it the filter board , what luck, thought I .

Not being versed in the arts of the electrician, I could see the terminals you spoke of , but they appeared well protected with no opportunity to touch my meter too, there were also out terminals with similar markings . That aside , I carefully rested the front plate securely, and replaced the plug into the mains socket , I then switched on and to my surprise, the display light up ? . Why I have no idea , but I accepted this stroke of good fortune and replaced all to its normal state .

I have since been starting and stopping the machine quite normally whilst cutting the thread that I started out on .

Les , I must thank you , and all who contribute when the likes of me have a problem , if you don’t fix the issue , you at the very least give us the confidence to have a look and even a go at doing stuff we would probably shirk away from otherwise . Thank you .

All appears well with the Lathe now .

03/02/2018 22:54:48

Les : thanks , how do I identify the filter board , can you direct me in relation to the Contactor ( which caused my last problem and which I now recognise) and the VFD unit , which even with my very limited ability , is recognisable? .

John ; the micro switch bayonet on the change wheel cover was loose when the incident occurred , and it was after replacing the cover that the speed display light panel died . I can understand the logic of the motor not working if the cover was not properly positioned, but I don’t understand why it would cause the speed display to loose power ?

Thank you both in the meantime, for taking interest .

Regards, David .

03/02/2018 17:26:51

Sorry ; it’s me again !

It came to pass , today , that I wanted to do a bit of screw cutting , So , after much faffing about with the gear train to give me the desired TPI , I was ready to make swarf .

As I switched the power on at the socket , I noticed the speed display light up , and then go blank , as in No light .

The fan is working , I can hear that , and if I try to start the machine , I hear the contacts pulling in , but no action by way of spindle movement .

Has anyone experienced such a problem ? And does anyone have a clue as to what the fault might be .

Since it is late Saturday afternoon , I have not been able to obtain any assistance from Warco as yet , but I have every confidence in the forum members .

David .

Thread: Case Hardening
21/01/2018 22:31:00

Chris ,

The Midlands cover quite an area , are you close to Dudley at all , if so I can recommend a place that treated the leaf springs for my locomotive.

They are professionals , did a wonderful job at the sort of price we appreciate, and I have no connection with them other than having once used them .

David .

14/12/2017 19:19:07

Just a quick update ,

Dave and Mike , thanks , you were both quite right in that the wire should be fastened in to A2 .

It was so easy with the rear of the machine accessible, I released the Contactor from its mounting and was able to replace the wire into A2 and fix it good , taking the opportunity to ensure all others were solid also . The Contactor was then replaced , all other bits fitted back , and Hey presto ! I have a working Lathe , ( bliss ) .

It is such a relief that all is well , and also that there are so many knowledgeable members on the forum who are happy to resolve someone’s problems , thank you all .

13/12/2017 22:26:54

Hi SOD (Dave)

Your clearly a wizard of some sort , turning my photo the right way up , magic ! , and since the blue wire was discovered on the base of the box between the inverter and the Contactor , I have every confidence in your analysis being spot on too .

Tomorrow, given time , and managements permision following completion of domestic duties , I shall have a good look at the bottom of the Contactor and try to find the fixing location for the loose wire .

Thank you all who have responded , much appreciated .

13/12/2017 20:14:44

Managed ( without lifting ) to spin the machine through 90degs , and am now able to access the electrics box .

Again thanks to all for your Input , SOD , my workshop is so tight , me and a long handled screwdriver won’t fit at the same time hence spinning the Lathe .

17be1dfc-4847-431a-b0fc-b72b3e7955d0.jpeg

Above new photo of Contactor and below shot of underside

bd6918b4-d022-4b12-853e-7f468b88d8ed.jpeg

This is upside down ,that said , is that blue wire the one you suspect is missing SOD ? .

I have put a mutimeter over the micro switch and proved that it is making and breaking as it is supposed to.

I shall certainly check that all wires are firmly fixed whilst I have the back open .

13/12/2017 09:11:02

Thank you all for taking time to consider and respond to my problem .

The Contactor is as per this photo,

1973333c-ba00-46f7-baf3-60de76014129.jpeg

The wiring diagram is as below.

20bdaea5-268e-4a19-abd8-f5a8e17fd292.jpeg

Thank you for suggesting that I check the emergency stop button and belt/gear cover . Having been caught by that in the early days of ownership , I had gone through that process , but I appreciate your concern .

Taking up SOD’s suggestion of removing the top front plate to access the guard limit micro switch , I discovered ( not

visible using mirror at rear ) that there is a wire which is not connected . I think that it may be a clue as to why my machine won’t run . My god , there’s no flies on us in this part of the world ! .

eccaa39e-fd07-4227-96b4-b3f33253cb63.jpeg

Above is a picture of the loose wire , the blue one with red tag , Not the faintest where it goes ! And I can’t see from diagram below any suggestion of the terminal block .

Apologies for the quality and orientation of the photos, getting my phone into the space behind the Lathe and getting a meaningful shot was not easy .

12/12/2017 16:32:00

whilst adjusting the position of my chuck guard ( to clear the toolpost ) I inadvertently broke the micro switch which cuts the drive when the guard is raised.

Despite my Lathe being set only 4” from the wall , I managed to remove the rear headstock plate and retrieve the micro switch , following which , I repaired it and replaced it .

With all refitted, the Lathe would not run , called Warco who advised that the micro switch old still be faulty , try connecting its two wires together . This I did but it still will not run .

Using a mirror, and some agility I was not aware I possessed, I have determined that all wires seem to be firmly connected, but I noticed that the Contactor has a button which protrudes. Not being an electrician, but assuming that this button should be depressed , I tried depressing it and pressing the start button on the Lathe . This resulted in the Lathe starting up .

So, my request is , can someone tell me the definitive answer , should that black button on the contactor permanently be depressed under normal conditions , or is something not happening which normally causes it to engage , if so what ? .

Please explain in simple understandable terms due to my Blackcountry , Thick as Wood , persona , ta !

Thread: Rolson Tools Ltd
27/11/2017 15:29:08

From the 17th to the 19th , my wife and I went to York , there was a Dolls House Exhibition which she likes to visit on the Sunday .

We spend Saturday walking York and “Shopping” , but she is very good and always allows me to look into Barnitts , the hardware store , well for a few minutes!

My eye was taken by a pair of 50mm G clamps , I know , but you can’t just walk out with nothing in hand can you ?, however , when I examined them on getting into the workshop on Monday , I found that the gripping face had been ground at an angle and was less than suitable for holding parts properly.

I emailed Rolson customer care , who I turn asked me to send photo shots , which I did . Staggeringly , today , I received a new pristine pair in the post , no argument . This ,I feel, is amazing service , considering its value and the trouble they must have gone too to sort this , I think they deserve gold star listing .

I have no connection with either company mentioned above .

Thread: Large diameter copper tube
11/08/2017 22:14:24

Try P&P Non-Ferrous Metals tel 01384 868080 . They a have a large range of tube and I found their prices quite reasonable .

I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer .

Thread: MEW 255
18/05/2017 18:23:03

The contributor has made a decent fist of explaining how he produces these products , which , I presume are for himself , and not some commercial enterprise , so instead of finding fault in what does it for him , and for which he offers merely a suggestion as to how others might produce similar items , perhaps a somewhat more appreciative view of his offerings should be commented on , or no view ! .

I don't count , but how many of the detractors have themselves committed an article to these pages ? , I am sure it is a difficult task , and one made more so by unwarranted criticism such as contained in earlier posts , no wonder Neil appears to have problems finding contributors .

Thread: Grinding Wheel Blotters
08/05/2017 22:12:29

Terry, Should you still wish to use blotting paper , I could send you an A4 sized piece or two .

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest