By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for D.A.Godley

Here is a list of all the postings D.A.Godley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Broken Verdict DTI
30/10/2020 22:42:39

Joking , Me ? , Well of course I was joking , glad some spotted it , but only about the Stick welding !

I’m quite sure it could be silver soldered .

26/10/2020 20:55:44
Posted by David Colwill on 26/10/2020 11:50:26:

Just out of curiosity. Has anyone used the guy mentioned in the Doubleboost videos on youtube?

Just asking as I have a couple that could do with TLC.

Regards.

David.

Yes , I have used him to repair a broken DTI , he was very good and , I thought , very reasonable £ wise .

Still recon it would weld though ! .

Edited By D.A.Godley on 26/10/2020 20:57:09

24/10/2020 21:51:13

Don’t you think a careful bit of stick welding will overcome the problem ? OK : I just thought I would ask .

Thread: Dressing a diamond wheel
23/10/2020 17:06:06
Posted by Oily Rag on 15/10/2020 15:37:32:

For cleaning the diamond wheel - try a school rubber (for our North American cousins I should quickly point out, before you get the wrong ideas about the state of the 'edukshun' system in the UK, that this is an 'eraser' in your terminology )

Oily Rag ,

Many thanks for your tip as above , I had been asking about cleaning the wheel for a while now , but had not heard of this solution , which worked perfectly,

Thread: Bench filing machine
23/10/2020 16:59:07

Chris ,

Have you had a look at the filing machine detailed in Vol 0. Issue 4 ( very early MEW ) .

Its not a kit , however , it’s small as in suitable for bench top , and by the look of it , fairly simple to construct , designed by Stan Bray , so it also has pedigree! .

Edited By D.A.Godley on 23/10/2020 16:59:56

Thread: centec 2a halfnuts
19/07/2020 16:55:25

Peter,

Just a thought , do you have a copy of the handbook as per this photo (it’s 17 pages ) , also , in another leaflet I have , The Centec Co are advertising a High Speed Router . I am wondering if this may be an independently driven unit which would fit into the aperture on the unit you displayed in an earlier post ? , maybe some other forum member has seen such a thing ? .

9cfeb6c9-5df4-4d5f-b37b-c544dc994a0b.jpeg

best wishes

David

16/07/2020 19:20:57

Peter,

How very disappointing; as you say , we should have run a few checks before committing the parcel to the post .

If it’s no great imposition, then yes , please return it , I will only spend hours looking for it , having forgotten in short order that I had found a new home for it , and I do hope your back up plan works , you certainly appear to be very capable with the CAD ,

Regards

David

14/07/2020 19:29:20

Avon, (Peter),

I had a dig around my “ may come in useful some day” box , and found the half nut .

It is now packed and awaiting posting ( which will likely be on Thursday, since our trips out are extremely limited just now ) , but it will be on its way this week.

I think we should mark this one down as a ; thank you for giving me the opportunity to do a good turn for someone .

regards

David .

14/07/2020 19:29:19

Avon, (Peter),

I had a dig around my “ may come in useful some day” box , and found the half nut .

It is now packed and awaiting posting ( which will likely be on Thursday, since our trips out are extremely limited just now ) , but it will be on its way this week.

I think we should mark this one down as a ; thank you for giving me the opportunity to do a good turn for someone .

regards

David .

13/07/2020 22:44:39
Posted by Avon on 12/07/2020 19:33:26:

Hi DAG, I know this thread is quite old, but wonder whether that half but is still available (for a reasonable consideration 😊 I have a 2A which has a solid nut fitted and I’d like to get it back to the original state?

All the best.

Peter

Peter,

I had quite forgotten that I had posted that photo , and yes I still have it ( somewhere) .

If you let me have your address , through a pm , I will get it to you ,

regards ,

David .

Thread: Homemade cutting fluid
09/06/2020 22:08:49

I don’t use a great deal , but what I find works exceedingly Weil is Angels Breath !

1 part genuine Turpentine

2 parts White spirits

3 parts Olive oil

Not only does it work well but it has a nice aroma.

Thread: Macc Models Updates ?
16/05/2020 22:32:10

Over the last couple of weeks I have had two orders completed within days of placing them , whatever the problem , I am sure you will get your goods , but as Mark said , give them a call , there is bound to be a reason for the delay !

With Macc models , I really don’t think you need to worry!

Thread: Description required
05/05/2020 22:21:13

Perhaps it’s meant to expand into a tube , such as a bobbin , from a weaving machine , either in the weaving process , or the loading of yarn onto the bobbin ?

Thread: End mill relief
11/04/2020 22:57:24

There is also a very illuminating article by “ George Pruitt “ about end mill sharpening , includes some photos which are most helpful.

David

11/04/2020 22:11:31

Bob ; Have a look at “ Brook Cutting Tools “ Milling cutter user guide , it will give you all the guidance you are looking for .

regards

David

Thread: Torx Grub Screws?
22/01/2020 19:02:23
Posted by Vic on 22/01/2020 13:49:37:

I would like to use some Torx socket set (grub) screws for some projects but can’t seem to find a supplier. There

Vic,

At the recent London MX , I noticed that one trader had a range of Torx screws being sold individually , from what I recall , it would have been MA Tooling 07973843142 , or possibly Peak Tools , Of Hope Valley , Derbyshire .

I am sorry I can’t be more definite as to which it was , but the image of the tray at the end of the stand is very clear in my recollection, and if it helps anyone else remember , the stands were close to the displays of boats .

Hope it’s of some help

Thread: Metric Flat brass bar
21/01/2020 22:16:05
Posted by Old School on 21/01/2020 16:24:12:

Where can I buy metric sized flat brass bar I need the following two sizes.

8mm x 2mm

10mm x 3mm

i need about 600mm of each.

i have tried milling brass plate to size but it ends up bent.

Old School ,

John Keatley in Birmingham carry stock of brass of the thicknesses you require , further , they frequently have off cuts from which they may well , if you ask nicely , shear these to the width and length you need .

If you ring and ask Lynley , he will help , I am sure 01212364300

Thread: Ally Pally Exhibition
20/01/2020 20:09:39

I was undecided about going , but in the end decided to treat myself to a day out , so , on Friday I got the train from Wolverhampton down to Euston and tube to Wood Greem , bus to the Show and at a return price of £35 all in , I thought that good value .

There was a queue back to the main entrance door when I got there ( on line ticket purchase not available due to my failure to make a decision about going until the last moment) but it was processed quickly, and I was in before I could think of a good grumble line , and the others in the queue were nice to chat to ! .

My first thoughts , on getting in to the main hall , was that there was much more space between stands than in previous years , clearly there were several traders not turning out this year , but those who did attend ( bless them all ) were worth visiting .

With the exception of RDG ( who clearly have something about them , that those traders who claim it impossible to attend due to disruption etc etc , do not ) and who have increased their presence, through Myford and now Proxxon equipment , many appear to have taken stands of reduced size ,possibly to reduce costs . The aerospace guy for instance , in my mind had a significantly smaller stand than he normally has , and compared to his stand at Doncaster ,which last time must have been upwards of ten times larger than at Alexandra Palace , would suggest costs continue to increase . He does some very good prices for really good products , I hope we don’t lose him , nor for that matter the likes of JB , Greenwood , Tracy , DRO , and others , the people who we should support in return for them keeping the shows going ! .

I purchased lots of bits , many of which were extra to the list I went with , spoke to many exhibitors, saw some great models and products and eventually got home mid evening tired but having enjoyed myself no end. It was a most enjoyable day , thanks to those who organised it , who exhibited and who got me there and back Safely.

Thread: rolling brass strip in the lathe
15/01/2020 22:31:15

In May last year , I needed to roll some “T” section brass to support the roof of a loco cab.

Not wishing to purchase gear specifically for the job , I made a set up similar to that detailed by Jason , and it worked very well indeed .

As will be seen , a roller with a groove in it was mounted in the milling machine spindle , and a number of roller bearings mounted on the table , slowest speed and reverse at each end .

cf405dfc-06b0-4627-919d-2dbec970f608.jpeg

a29d57a6-5ee5-46ae-a2de-ca588e73ef24.jpeg

Thread: Brass sheet
05/11/2019 22:16:10
Posted by John Hilton on 05/11/2019 09:35:30:

Just to update this post.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Eventually I went with John Keatley metals. (Thanks D A Godley).

Well recommended, and they even answer the phone!

John

John ;

So very pleased you found what you required and that they saved you a few pence , it always helps . I had absolutely no doubt that they would be able to satisfy you .

regards ,

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest