By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for D.A.Godley

Here is a list of all the postings D.A.Godley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: centec 2a halfnuts
26/03/2019 16:37:17

John ,

Is this of interest ? I believe it’s from a 2a , it is certainly not from my 2b .

c146bd5a-add1-4ee0-b026-90fe9bf46bb7.jpeg

62d778c0-64d8-4aca-8dd5-611168bb727a.jpeg

Edited By D.A.G. on 26/03/2019 16:58:41

Edited By D.A.G. on 26/03/2019 17:00:18

Edited By D.A.G. on 26/03/2019 17:02:35

Thread: Thick walled copper tube
11/02/2019 22:18:33

Would suggest you try John Keatley Metals Ltd , Birmingham, 0121 236 4300

They are most helpful , and I am sure will be able to supply this .

Thread: Woes of My Digimatic
13/01/2019 22:37:29

Simon ,

Some while ago , I had exactly the same experience with my 10+ year old Mitutoyo , which was most upsetting, I removed the battery and consigned it to a vacant spot on a shelf , resorting to using a cheapo in its place .

Always wanting to have the Mitutoyo back in service I considered sending it away for an overhaul, however , to my surprise some months later , when I got it out and put new batteries in , it functioned perfectly , and has done for almost a year now .

Hang on to it for a while , give it a rest having removed the battery, hopefully yours also will rejuvenate itself as did mine . I do hope so .

Thread: Oxy propane guidance
25/12/2018 17:28:11

As stated in my opening post , I am looking for advice, from those with experience, in the set up and use of OXY-PROPANE . Not ACETYLENE, NOR MIG , TIG , or any other method , Nor , as I stated , to do any cutting with the set up .

I most certainly do not wish to be rude or ungrateful , and I am extremely aware that those contributing have been most helpful and have given good guidance in other threads , but please , could we stick to the purpose of this thread and restrict it to Oxy Propane equipment and its use for Silver Soldering and brazing of boilers etc up to 1/8 “ thick by about 16” long .

Dave : so far as judging gas flow and mix , I am sure , given time with the new set up , I will be able to select the pressures necessary, however , initially, I am sure that gauges of the suitable kind will put me in the right place to make such adjustments . I am fine with pure propane , but I have no knowledge of Oxy Propane , and whilst there is a plethora of advice for Oxy Acetylene, not so for the detail for Oxy Propane kit , unless you just want to buy an assembled kit at a greater cost than I am comfortable with .

Regards and have great Christmas Day ,

David .

24/12/2018 19:59:36

Posted by Martin Johnson 1 on 24/12/2018 16:22:14:

I have just been to the workshop to check and Brian has reported pretty much what I found. My Oxy propane set up is as follows:

HobbyWeld cylinder supplying a 2 stage regulator with up to 6.3 Bar outlet.

Martin, thanks for your response , and for taking time to go and check your equipment.

I understand that a 2 Stage Oxygen regulator gives a much finer control of the oxygen supply than the single stage one , do you have any experience of the different types ? . Looking at some of the articles on the web , it appears that the rate of Oxygen flow to propane is between 150% to 200% , do you concur with this , or in practice do you find its different , or is it all dependent on the work being done .

In my album you will see the Sievert propane regulator which I currently have . In your opinion , is it worth changing this for one with gauges , bearing in mind it was quite expensive new and has a hose fail device incorporated in it .

As you mentioned , flame arrest units are desirable and I will fit these to my kit when I get it together.

I do appreciate you , as an experienced user of this type of equipment, proffering your assistance, it’s just what I need .

24/12/2018 15:12:26

I have tried , within another thread , to ask for guidance in respect of the kit required to braze and Silver solder using Oxy propane , but the advice was Not forthcoming.

Could I try again , but ask for more specific advice ? .

What Oxygen gauge is most suitable for this process , not a gauge make , but the pressure range it controls . I have seen several that range from 0 to 4 Bar , and up to 10 Bar outflow , but I haven’t a clue which will work best .

I have no intention to use the kit for cutting , only for Brazing / Silver Soldering in the construction of smaller 7 1/4 “ loco’s .

Thread: Gatwick Drone 'Attack'
20/12/2018 22:18:38

Didn’t I hear that Amazon were going to use drones to deliver goods , perhaps they got the wrong postcode , and it can’t decide whether to dump it over the fence , or return it to the depot ? .

Thread: Oxy Acetylene or Oxy Propane?
17/12/2018 22:23:50

Like Brian H , I am contemplating putting together a Oxy/Propane kit .

I have a Sievert propane set up currently which has the regulator shown below . The regulator has a hose failure system built in but does not have a gauge of any sort on it .

Would some kind person , who has the knowledge and experience , inform me of what is required . Do I bin the regulator in favour of one with a gauge ,or even use an acetylene gauge , and what pressure range is best adopted .

Likewise , with the Oxygen side of things , gauge advice would be appreciated.

I understand that flash back arresters are required , is it the same acetylene type which is used for the propane supply ? .

I have read the posts above , I have looked at the links , watched YouTube and searched the web , but I just can’t seem to get a clear picture of what exactly is needed.

I fear that if I go to one of my local welding equipment stores , they will sell me what they have rather than what I need , if you understand me , whereas, I know that in this forum , I can get unbiased, and genuinely helpful guidance.

2f614691-a564-470c-acbd-ed7d569a4888.jpeg

Thread: DTI Glass replacement
08/11/2018 22:26:27
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 08/11/2018 22:15:42:

Check out doubleboost youtube channel he's had his mate 'Bob' showing how he repair DTI and makes new crystals etc

H

Thanks H , and others for interest shown , I will give the doubleboost line a try .

08/11/2018 19:15:40

Does anyone know of an establishment/ business , in or around the Birmingham area , where I can get the broken glass in one of my DTI’s replaced .

There is no other issue with the piece , just broken glass , and I can’t figure out how to remove the glass retaining bezel.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
25/10/2018 17:19:01

A few evenings back , I was re reading some old ME magazines, and in the September 2004 copy , I came across an article penned by our illustrious editor “ Neil” detailing his design for a Clarke 300 spindle turning handle .

As it happens, I was considering making one for my bigger Lathe , but since this would also be of help , on a lathe I use to produce small parts , I thought I would give it a go .

I have finished it today and I must say , I am pretty impressed with it . I shall now upscale the design to suite my larger Lathe , thank you Neil , just the ticket .

Thread: bronze bar
22/08/2018 22:46:58

I would recommend John Keatley ( Metals) Ltd , they can normally supply most items we need .

0121 236 4300 Birmingham . www.johnkeatleymetals.com

I have no connection to them other than as a satisfied customer .

Thread: Bench Mounting a Warco WM280V
22/08/2018 22:36:27

As you say , a spacer is needed between the Lathe bed mounting feet and the bench top .

I simply cut some ply to fit the space beneath the drip tray , but which supported the feet. The securing bolts went through the tray , the spacer and the bench to ensure complete stability , though the fixing holes in the feet were a challenge to get the bolts through ! .

Thread: Obtaining flat bronze bar
10/04/2018 22:28:01

If you have not yet sourced this material , give John Keatley Metals a call .

They are i Birmingham 33-35 Shadwell Street , B4 6HD. 0121 236 4300. , have a web site which should indicate their stock lines , and are a most helpful company from whom i and many colleagues purchase our model making materials from.

Hope this helps

David .

Thread: Warco. WM280V-F
20/02/2018 19:11:30

Dave ; well done with the album, I am sure it will be useful going forward! .

Les ; Today I turned the Lathe through 90 degrees so that I could access the rear panel, during a check on the wire connections I discovered that ( see photo of connector block 13/12/17 ) one of the two brown wires , which were joined in a white jointer , had come adrift ,though was still within the sheath. Despite it being loose, it must still have been making contact , hence the machine working ? .

Not having connectors of that type , I removed it , soldered the two wires together , and replaced them in the connector block .

I haven’t yet had time to swing the Lathe back , (note to myself , I must try it running before I do that ) but I am confident it will be ok , thanks again .

David

17/02/2018 22:36:16

Les ; I am afraid I have to own up to an indulgence of laziness! , the Lathe has been performing well and the thought of undoing the 6 clamping bolts and swinging it round through 90 degrees was too much ,However , now you have highlighted my sloth, and since I am spared certain domestic chores this week , I will get the job done .

In fairness , it is remiss of me to ask for , and receive assistance , and then not respond in a way which may help others , thanks for the prompt .

David .

Thread: Anyone shed light on this?
10/02/2018 22:45:22

Top left looks to me like a tangential thread cutting piece from a Landis head ,top right tap removal tool , centre next to reamer appears to be a knurling tool . Pass on other items .

Thread: Warco. WM280V-F
04/02/2018 17:56:44

Les ; you are right I shall have to bite the bullet and crank the Lathe round so that I can get to the rear properly and fix it , thanks .

Dave ; thank you also for taking time out to send photos of the specific bits that I need to examine , most helpful! , as per above , will do

Regards both ,

David

04/02/2018 14:50:52

Les ; again thank you .

Rather than unbolt the machine and swing it away from the wall , I removed the front plate ( on which the speed indicator is mounted ) and found just behind it the filter board , what luck, thought I .

Not being versed in the arts of the electrician, I could see the terminals you spoke of , but they appeared well protected with no opportunity to touch my meter too, there were also out terminals with similar markings . That aside , I carefully rested the front plate securely, and replaced the plug into the mains socket , I then switched on and to my surprise, the display light up ? . Why I have no idea , but I accepted this stroke of good fortune and replaced all to its normal state .

I have since been starting and stopping the machine quite normally whilst cutting the thread that I started out on .

Les , I must thank you , and all who contribute when the likes of me have a problem , if you don’t fix the issue , you at the very least give us the confidence to have a look and even a go at doing stuff we would probably shirk away from otherwise . Thank you .

All appears well with the Lathe now .

03/02/2018 22:54:48

Les : thanks , how do I identify the filter board , can you direct me in relation to the Contactor ( which caused my last problem and which I now recognise) and the VFD unit , which even with my very limited ability , is recognisable? .

John ; the micro switch bayonet on the change wheel cover was loose when the incident occurred , and it was after replacing the cover that the speed display light panel died . I can understand the logic of the motor not working if the cover was not properly positioned, but I don’t understand why it would cause the speed display to loose power ?

Thank you both in the meantime, for taking interest .

Regards, David .

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest