By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What O-ring is this?
12/11/2021 16:34:11

Neither eBay nor Amazon helped much, and TheOringStore are outrageously expensive - it's cheaper to replace the torch. A semi-retired guy at Rothemberger (Sievert) thinks he may have one in a dusty drawer somewhere. He'll let me know next week. Maybe I'll get lucky.

12/11/2021 12:14:41

It's actually rather difficult to see, but it looks like the ring only sees the gas when the valve is open.

12/11/2021 11:19:49

My ancient Sievert blow torch gave me a fright today - it burst into flames as I was using it. I was able to blow them out and I wasn't burned, but it was rather scary. The flames originated around the valve, so I dismantled the handle and reckon I need a new o-ring. I've got a box of o-rings, but none of them fit.

Does anybody know which one I need? The photos show the torch handle and valve with the o-ring separated. Sorry about the focus, I blame it on my phone.

Sievert o-ring.jpg

Sievert torch handle.jpg

Thread: Telephone / Internet Scams
08/11/2021 10:21:14

My landline provider provides the same facility described by Paul, and the number of nuisance calls has noticeably declined. Once in a while one gets through and my response is generally to say "Did I request this call?" Followed by "You know it's illegal!". And then I put the 'phone down.

Thread: Music on TV Programmes.
08/11/2021 09:49:29

Neither my wife nor I could be mistaken as being young, and we both have problems with sound tracks on TV and cinema obliterating dialogue in favour of incidental music. Strangely, it doesn't happen with the sound tracks of old films where speech is clear and mood music only apparent when needed.

Personally I reckon that the youngish producers are totally disinterested in the older generation and want to cater entirely on the young. To my old ears the sound tracks in cinemas are far too loud for comfort - possibly to cater for hearing loss in lovers of pop music.

Thread: GPS as a low-speed Speedometer
08/11/2021 07:36:13

A little while ago I sent the following email to the authors of a GPS app running on Android.

My wife and I both use Trip Recorder, she on an Alcatel and me on a Moto G. Last week her's registered 3.2 ​miles and mine was 3.1 miles for the same journey. Today​ hers said 3.7 and mine was 3.5, again for the same journey. We start and stop recording at the same time, and walk together. What's wrong please?

They never found a solution.

Thread: Pulse Tig welding
05/11/2021 10:04:46

I've been using a device called a PUK welder for some time now. It's similar to the Orion pulse welder shown in Ady1's last link. It's specifically designed for jewellery and dental work, but useful for all sorts of small things, such as tack welding small items prior to soldering. It has a 10x self darkening binocular microscope and items to be welded are hand held right next to the weld point. I typically use it for welding new tips to claws without removing the stones.

I take exception to Ady1's statement about kids mucking about, it requires considerable practise, experience, and skill to use properly.

Thread: Cycle speedometer
03/11/2021 07:58:22

I'm probably wrong, but I thought that GPS speedos worked by measuring the time between map location points, which are, of course, dependant on the map resolution. I understand that non military GPS resolution is 25m, so you will get false speeds if you don't travel in straight lines between resolution points.

Thread: How can I cut 0.8mm thick stainless steel sheet more accurately by hand?
01/11/2021 16:31:04

Try a size 2/0 piercing saw blade for .6-.8mm thick metal. The traditional blade lubricant is "nose grease"; just wipe the sides of your nose with your thumb and first finger, then slide them down the length of the blade. It works very well - I kid you not. That's what I do. When you feel that the blade isn't cutting like it did when you started, the chances are that you need to lubricate it.

As suggested already, tilt the blade slightly away from you to help keeping a straight cut. DON'T try pushing the blade in an effort to cut faster, it doesn't work and you're liable to break the blade. Let the blade cut at it's own speed.

It takes a bit of practise to use a piercing saw, but the effort is well worth it.

Thread: DRO Z axis
01/11/2021 07:30:40

My Centec 2B has a knee and a quill and after fitting a 3-axis DRO I thought it was complete. There were many times, though, when I found it tedious drilling and tapping blind holes. So much so that I spent considerable effort to fit and install a quill DRO - and a depth stop. Not easy on a Mk3 head. I'm very pleased I did though.

Thread: I'm behind the times
31/10/2021 11:28:34

Prompted by the end of BST I searched GMT on Google, only to find that it has been called UTC since 1972. So then I looked up UTC and found that it stands for Coordinated Universal Time, so why not CUT? I'm clearly behind the times.

Thread: MEW Index updated to Issue 309 (November 2021)
31/10/2021 08:05:13

Thank you Dave. Much appreciated.

Thread: Yet another scam
30/10/2021 14:05:45
Posted by J Hancock on 30/10/2021 12:52:24:

Not easy to find , but for Santander report scams to smishing@santander.co.uk

I did, and got the following response...

Message blocked

Your message to smishing@santander.co.uk has been blocked. See technical details below for more information.
LEARN MORE
30/10/2021 12:10:03

I got one as a text from...

07305 110500

Santander: Your mobile banking has been set up on a new device at 16:16.

If this was not you, visit:

https://santander.reset-details.com

I don't have a Santander account. I showed it to somebody in the local branch. They were totally disinterested, all they said was "It's a scam".

Thread: A workholding question.
22/10/2021 07:44:26

+1 for Bill's expanding mandrel. I've made several of different sizes and they all work fine.

Thread: photos
13/10/2021 13:04:24

SOD: Bletchley used to offer a kit for a fully working, electronic, version of the Enigma. Don't know if it's still available.

Thread: Vfd and motor efficiency
13/10/2021 08:02:37

Martin: Clive is right, your best bet is to reconfigure your motor as Delta format so that your 220v VFD can drive it at full power. Some motors can be reconfigured by simply re-arranging the cables in the connection box, but some, like those in my Centec, have to be surgically altered by splitting the star-point.

The basic characteristics of a 3ph motor driven by a VFD are: constant power when run above 50Hz (or 60Hz in USA), and constant torque when run below. So, above 50Hz, the torque reduces as the speed increases, and below 50Hz the power reduces as the speed decreases.

Thread: a little diversion
11/10/2021 19:02:40

If both circles were the same size, would the right answer be 1 or 2? It's a question of definition, surely.

Thread: HELP needed
09/10/2021 15:00:05

The pickle I use for gold and silver jewellery is 10% H2so4. I tried Hcl many years ago, but didn't like it as much. I can't remember why.

Thread: My E-GO doesn't go
02/10/2021 16:06:19

I have an E-GO electric bike - it's the folding model. There is an old car-type ignition switch for battery power (you can't run without the key), and a small control panel on the handle bars - see photo. The other day the lights on the ctl panel went out as I was riding, and there was no power to the motor. I didn't stop but pressed the ON/OFF button, the lights came on, so so I continued. I reached my destination (only a mile or so more) without mishap. On my way home the same thing happened.

The battery was fully charged, so what happened. Where should I look for the problem? Any ideas anyone?

ctl pod.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest