By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Last Night's Astro Image
22/02/2019 10:44:01

Somebody added 32 instead of subtracting it. Pretty bad.

Thread: What happened to soft jaws?
21/02/2019 17:39:23

So that explains it's addition to the front cover - in large black letters on a light grey background ?

21/02/2019 14:17:50

The cover of issue 4606 advertises an article called Soft Vice Jaws, but it's not to be found in the magazine. ???

Thread: Mystery object
16/02/2019 12:12:02

Thank you.

16/02/2019 08:04:19

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll report back to my friend.

15/02/2019 08:19:27

A friend was given this mystery object, but has no idea what it is or what it was used for. He brought it to the ME club last night, and nobody could shed any light on it or its use either.

Its about 10" long and lives in a fitted wooden box. There is a corroded 1/4" (?) ball that fits into the recess at the end, at the bottom of which is a small hole that looks as if it has some sort of thin oil in it. There is no scale or other markings associated with the indicator that is apparent in the photo.

Any ideas?

mystery item 1.jpgmystery item 2.jpgmystery item 3.jpg

Edited By Gary Wooding on 15/02/2019 08:19:59

Thread: Can it be cut - and still operate?
14/02/2019 16:42:14

Thanks for the info guys. I'll order a pair and haunt you if they're junked by the op.

14/02/2019 14:28:57

I've got a small co-ordinate table to which I'd like to fit some simple DROs. The axis travels are X:150mm and Y:75mm. The scales at **HERE** look like they would do the job, except that 150mm for the Y axis is too long. They appear to be using the same technology as used in digital callipers - which I'm told can be cut to length. Does anybody know if these scales can be successfully cut to length?

Thread: Where to begin?
14/02/2019 11:00:50
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 13/02/2019 09:52:28:
Posted by Gary Wooding on 06/02/2019 10:13:45:

The biggest problem with F360 is that there is no user manual and the on-line documentation is rather poor.

There are a series of PDF tutorials available from Autodesk here.

Russell

The series are OK-ish, being a slightly annotated series of screenshots from the video tutorials, but definitely not a real substitute for a purpose written manual. The "help" data available from the actual program is also (in my opinion) completely inadequate if you are trying to find how to find and use the various options available in any the numerous commands.

I'm certainly not knocking the actual program, which really is an astonishingly powerful and versatile piece of software.The paucity of the documentation is simply a reflection of the constantly evolving system - there are (free) updates automatically installed every few weeks.

I've used Solidworks at a friends house, and regretted I could never justify the price, but F360 is, in my opinion, every bit as good (better in some respects) - and it's free.

Thread: Single phase verses 3 phase motor
09/02/2019 17:01:14

I fitted VFDs to my Centec - smooth start and variable speed is far better than 1-phase.

Thread: How do I adjust the quill?
09/02/2019 12:57:41

I've resurrected this thread because I thought it had an interesting outcome.

In the end I decided that the best thing was to replace the pinion gear, but, knowing it would be long job I put it to one side and got on with other stuff. Two days ago my conscience started nagging and I decided to dismantle the drill.

The cover opposite to the handle came off OK, but it was obvious that the handle and cover also had to be removed. The wound spring caused problems because it was riveted to the pinion spindle. I tried, and failed, to extract the spindle, so I removed the spring from the spring-seat. I still couldn't see what was retaining the spindle so I tried gently tapping it out from the other end. That did it. The spindle and gear came out as in the photo. It was when I checked the gear carefully that the problem was revealed. The gear is secured to the spindle with a little roll-pin, which didn't fit properly and allowed the gear to rotate a little.

I measured the amount of rotation as shown in the photos (sorry about the nasty angle) which turned out to be 5.3 degrees. The gear has 18 teeth and an OD of 20mm, so the 5.3 degrees translates into 0.833mm of free play on the quill rack, which matches very well with my observations that started this thread.

I haven't fixed it yet - that's the next job, then I've got to get the spring re-attached to the spring seat.

micro_mill gear1.jpgmicro_mill gear2.jpgmicro_mill gear3.jpgchester micromill3.jpg

Thread: Hi from Cornwall
07/02/2019 11:50:07

Welcome CB.

A friend, who used to be a member of my ME club in the Midlands, moved to Launceston a couple of years ago and was dismayed to find there was no equivalent club within an hour's drive. If you're in the same boat, is there anything to be gained by communicating?

Thread: Where to begin?
06/02/2019 10:13:45

I also recommend learning Fusion 360. Not just because it's totally free for students, hobbyists, etc, but because it's a fully fledged industrial strength product that includes CAM and simulation facilities. The biggest problem with F360 is that there is no user manual and the on-line documentation is rather poor. Having said that, there is a wealth of excellent tutorials on the web.

The first tutorials I looked at were from the early days of a series called Fusion Fridays by NYC CNC ***LINK***. The later ones started concentrating on CNC, so I then stopped. I also recommend the LIVELARS series ***LINK*** as many others will suggest.

I then found an excellent source from Autodesk Community Philippines entitled Fusion 360 Monthly Challenge. Each challenge takes the form of a relatively simple bite-sized model that requires the use of one or more interesting and useful techniques. The video series are the solutions, which are presented in a very full and easy to understand manner, with each action described and justified. Although it appears that you should register and take the monthly challenge, that is not necessary. Just watch whichever ones are of interest. ***LINK***

One point I must stress is that all CAD programs are large, complicated pieces of software that cannot be mastered in a week or two. There is no such thing as a CAD system in which you can become proficient in weeks; you must expect to spend several (many?) months to do that. If you don't accept this from the start you are likely to get despondent and give up. Persevere and you will reap great benefits.

Finally, I found that the very best way of learning a CAD package is to use it to construct your own project, and use the on-line material to help you when you get stuck. If you decide to use Fusion, then you should register (it's free) on the Autodesk forums, where you are sure to find an expect to solve your problem..

Edited By Gary Wooding on 06/02/2019 10:20:53

Thread: Further thoughts on Fusion 360
02/02/2019 11:45:17

The first tutorials I looked at were from the early days of a series called Fusion Fridays by NYC CNC ***LINK***. The later ones started concentrating on CNC. I also recommend the LIVELARS series, as already suggested.

I then found an excellent source from Autodesk Community Philippines entitled Fusion 360 Monthly Challenge. Each challenge takes the form of a relatively simple bite-sized model that requires the use of one or more interesting and useful techniques. The video series are the solutions, which are presented in a very full and easy to understand manner, with each action described and justified. Although it appears that you should register and take the monthly challenge, that is not necessary. Just watch whichever ones are of interest. ***LINK***

Thread: 3D Printing using Flexible Filament
01/02/2019 08:01:37

I've successfully used NinjaFlex in our Ultimaker.

Thread: Centec question
28/01/2019 08:18:34

Interesting. I too have a Centec 2B with a MK3 VH, but it uses INT3 sockets, so no need to push things out. A light tap is all that's needed. The draw-bar just lifts out.

I've made about 20 raising blocks but it takes a lot of work and there's no way I'm doing it again. The photos show some long blocks and a short one. The VH can be left on the long block 'cos it can be slid forwards to act like the over-arm for horizontal milling.

Long raising blocksShort raising block

Edited By Gary Wooding on 28/01/2019 08:22:13

Thread: Gold Plating
16/01/2019 08:01:50

I don't know if its appropriate in your case, but have you considered gilding with gold-leaf?

Thread: Editing .STL Files
10/01/2019 08:06:21

STL files can be edited in Fusion 360 which, as you know, is free for hobbyists etc. F360 is my program of choice for producing models for 3D printing.

I've been using TurboCAD for years (since V2 in fact) but have basically ditched it in favour of F360.

Thread: Algebraic paradox
05/01/2019 10:45:10

The real answer is that if A=B+C then A-B-C=0, so,

after factorisation you have Ax0 = Bx0, which is clearly correct for all values of A and B

Thread: "Excel" filing machine
03/01/2019 22:27:16

The video says it cuts on the down stroke.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest