By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Parting tip breakage
31/05/2020 09:55:47

I can see neither a video nor a link to a video in the first or any other post.

Whoops, I've just seen a previous post about it being removed. Why? If the video is unsuitable for some reason that necessitates it's removal, then the thread should also be deleted and replaced with a suitable message.

Edited By Gary Wooding on 31/05/2020 10:02:44

Thread: New member with a Centec 2 mill
31/05/2020 07:24:05

I'd forgotten that I'd posted a link to the drawings some time ago - it's my age you know.

Here it is again ***LINK***

Thread: Method of joining for chuck key?
30/05/2020 15:38:25

Hi Chris,

Is this what you wanted?

chuck key3.jpg

30/05/2020 14:11:17

Hi Chris,

Yes, I did a side-on drawing first.

I've made an extra key for my individual 4-jaw chuck (2 keys make it so much easier to centre work) and didn't bother to harden it. I've never seen anything to suggest that I made a mistake, though I'm sure many will say I'm wrong.

Thread: New member with a Centec 2 mill
30/05/2020 14:03:16

I've made about 20 Centec raising blocks, both short and long, all from aluminium. It's a time consuming process and the domestic authority has vetoed any further production. I am, though, prepared to make the drawings available if anybody is interested.

Thread: Method of joining for chuck key?
29/05/2020 10:17:15

This method will prevent an irregular shaped circle.

chuck key2.jpg

29/05/2020 07:56:52

This is the way I'd do it.

chuck key.jpg

28/05/2020 13:33:36

What's wrong with threading it and using Loctite?

Thread: Watts sun and planner gear.
26/05/2020 07:01:00
Posted by JasonB on 25/05/2020 20:19:53:

I did not think it doubled up the speed as the two gears were the same size. Epicyclic gear often has 2:1 and was used on some 4-stroke engines with a steam engine type eccentric rather than usual 2:1 spur gears.and cam

Take a look at ***THIS***

Thread: Another 'glue' question
22/05/2020 09:48:56

+1 for superglue.

I recently made a pair of 5mm square cushion shaped gold earrings. Filing the cushion curves was easy, but holding the little squares wasn't, until I superglued them to end of a shaped wooden dowel. It worked fine, and removal was easy with a little heat.

Thread: A polite question - from a beginner :) Drilling a NONE wandering hole
22/05/2020 07:04:09
Posted by JasonB on 21/05/2020 13:31:30:

Not sure about that Garry as first hole could wander and second drill follow, you may be getting mixed up with advice on getting a drill to cut to size, by doing it with two drills it does not matter if the second is asymmetric about it's point as the point is not being used.

You're right Jason. I was thinking about something else.

21/05/2020 13:25:50

One reason why a drill will wander is if the cutting flutes asymmetric - usually because of poor sharpening. To minimise the effect it's often beneficial to first drill with a small drill that's just a little bigger than the web of the big drill, which will then be persuaded to follow the path already cut.

Thread: 3D CAD software - what do you use?
20/05/2020 11:06:32

My first encounter with CAD was with a DOS based program called EasyCAD. When, I too, got a freebie TurboCAD (2d only) with a magazine I switched to it and eventually jumped on the bandwagon and purchased a copy of the professional version which could do 3D. 3D in TCAD is really very basic and relatively crude, but although it does work, updating a drawing can be so problematic that it's usually best to start over completely.

Then somebody showed me Solid Works which made me aware of TCAD's shortcomings, but the price! A friend who worked for SolidEdge was unable (unwilling) to provide a copy so I put up with TCAD's shortcomings - until Fusion arrived. I was hooked. Yes, the learning curve is steep, but it's well worth the climb. Don't believe anybody who tells you that a 3D CAD program is easy to learn - it just isn't possible. It really is commensurate with learning another language.

SOD. Yes, you can use F360 offline with certain caveats, see **HERE**

Bandersnatch. Yes, F360 can read STLs and convert them into solid models that you can edit, but, because STLs are dimensionless, there are obvious limits.

Edited By Gary Wooding on 20/05/2020 11:08:19

Thread: Knurling Tool for medium (Harrison M300) size lathe
13/05/2020 14:33:54

I designed and made this one about 16 years ago. There's a write-up in MEW.

If you're interested I can let you have a copy (of the write-up).

dscf3887.jpgknurl3q.jpg

Thread: Where do you put your chuck key?
08/05/2020 15:55:38

My lathe is sited against a pillar, so there is no place for a handy shelf. Instead I've made tray that can slide along the lathe bed. The chuck keys and tool-post spanner are retained by Terry clips as in the photos.There's a recess for the tail-stock.

bits tray1.jpg

bits tray2.jpg

Edited By Gary Wooding on 08/05/2020 15:57:09

Thread: VE Day - 75 years on
08/05/2020 15:26:30

I was born just before the war and was brought up in Tottenham, N.London. My dad was in the Fleet Air Arm and was away for the duration. We didn't have a shelter and took refuge under the stairs when the bombs were falling. I recall that a V1 fell about 1/4 mile away and the blast shattered our windows. My mum was really distraught because the glass pieces went in the sugar bowl and she had to dump all the precious sugar.

I have vivid memories of hundreds of planes going over en-route to Germany., and remember a radio reporter mentioning our bombers' success in raids on Berlin. At the time I thought that Berlin was just a little distance past Walthamstow. I don't really recall the excitement of VE Day but I certainly remember the street parties with us kids sitting at a long row of cloth covered tables groaning under jam sandwiches, cakes, jelly and blancmange, with the women and mums doing the serving. I discovered many years later that Shani Wallis was one of the serving ladies. She lived next door to my uncle and aunt.

Thread: Using Smith Little Torch
08/05/2020 13:07:41

I use a Smith's Little Torch with oxy/propane for jewellery. I Tun down the oxy and, if the flame looks too big, reduce the propane to balance the oxy, then continue until I can turn the oxy off completely. Then I turn off the propane. Lighting is the opposite - first the propane then the oxygen.

I use the larger tips for melting platinum, and reserve the small tips for soldering small, jewellery sized, pieces.

The flame is very hot and it's very easy to melt whatever you want to solder, so, as has already been said, practise, practise, practise. With experience it's even possible to anneal silver wire.

Thread: A Big Thank You to all Forum Members
06/05/2020 16:24:21

I agree with everything that been said, with special mention of Jason, Neil, and Michael G.

Thread: Quick setting nuts
06/05/2020 12:32:36

I included a section about such nuts in an article I wrote for MEW about 7 years ago, entitled "Enhancing a Centec Vertical Head". I called them "tilt nuts".  It can be viewed **HERE**

Edited By Gary Wooding on 06/05/2020 12:46:28

Thread: VFD Motor combo for lathe
03/05/2020 11:57:47

Andrew is correct - below designed frequency (50 Hz, say), torque is approx constant, with power proportional to speed; above that frequency, power is approx. constant with torque inversely proportional to speed.

I've got 4 VFDs, all made by Mitsubishi and purchased 2nd hand from eBay. One on my lathe, two on my mill, and one on my drill-press. Been installed for 9 or 10 years with no trouble (so far).

Edited By Gary Wooding on 03/05/2020 12:00:02

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest