By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: For discussing the merits of alternative 3D CAD programs.
03/12/2018 08:02:30

Thanks Eddie, that was very clear and interesting. I've never seen Rail-revolve before.

29/11/2018 08:14:57

Thank you Eddie, that was much clearer. Did you drill the centre before or after turning the profile? If after, how did you hold it?

28/11/2018 10:41:16
Posted by blowlamp on 27/11/2018 22:47:45:

Demo of processing the collet through ECam to generate gcode.

Without any form of commentary, it was more like a conjurer pulling rabbits from a hat.

Thread: Fitting an adjustable damper to my power saw
22/11/2018 15:37:44

See **THIS**

Thread: Understanding plans.
18/10/2018 18:55:44
Posted by Bandersnatch on 17/10/2018 17:22:33:

Depends on whether the smaller circle shows one end of the cone or a hole along the axis wink

Center line shown, but no hidden lines.wink 2

16/10/2018 09:42:09
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 02/09/2018 12:17:42:

Finally, 'What it looks like from the front, what it looks like from the side, and what it looks like in plan view.' is itself multi-choice - for example, is plan view from above or underneath? Older British and European practice was to draw plans 'First Angle'. The Americans spotted advantages in drawing plans in 'Third Angle', and this is now the preferred method world-wide. (The advantage mainly appears in complex drawings.) In my experience, the difference between First and Third Angle is rarely a problem. However, getting First Angle and Third Angle confused might mean certain features are made as mirror images of the designers true intent.

Dave

Unfortunately, whilst your example shows a 3rd angle drawing, the projection symbol (the little cone) depicts 1st angle. Or am I confused?

Thread: Twin Tube HF fluorescent lighting for the workshop
12/10/2018 08:11:54

I replaced the 3 twin 6ft fluorescent tubes (not HF) in my workshop with LEDs. My old eyes cannot detect any flickering or strobe effects. The LEDs are far better with a cleaner, purer, light. And instant on/off.

Thread: Introducing Arduino
10/10/2018 16:55:44

Hmm, it worked OK with my free version of PDFill PDF Tools 9.0

Thread: What bearings for a submersible wheelchair?
06/10/2018 22:19:38
Posted by john fletcher 1 on 06/10/2018 17:42:50:

I suggest you contact a REMAP group they are fixing things like this on a regular basis. There is often an a REMAP advert on the inside cover of MEW with contact details. John

I suggest you read my post timed at 10:03:23

06/10/2018 12:26:48

Hi Ian, I know such wheelchairs are available in NZ, Australia, and the USA, but apparently not here in UK.

06/10/2018 10:03:23

Thanks for all the good advice. Here's the background to my requirements.

I do voluntary work for the Remap charity (the church-door handrail shown in last month's MEW was one of mine) and neither the swimming club nor the charity can afford to spend much. The hydraulic lift consists of a large platform, level with the side of the pool, which can be lowered into the pool. The wheelchair must be of conventional design so that people with sufficient upper-body strength can propel it themselves. The frame of the wheelchair will be made of PVC pipe and the wheels and casters I have obtained are plastic, but they have conventional steel bearings. There are 12 bearings in all, of three different sizes. Since cost is a major consideration I thought that machining them from solid would be the most cost-effective solution. Delrin or PTFE seem the way to go, but if I could get some lignum vitae at a suitable price....

05/10/2018 13:39:19

I have to make a wheelchair to transfer disabled people from the changing rooms to a lift that lowers them, wheelchair and all, into a chlorinated swimming pool. And getrs them out again.

The real problem is the wheel and caster bearings. Ordinary steel bearings will simply rust, so what bearings should I use. I'm thinking of solid bearings of, say, plastic, brass, or bronze. Nylon is probably unsuitable because it absorbs water, but what about Delrin? It's only about 50mtrs from the changing rooms to the pool. What do the experts recommend?

Do stainless bearings exist?

Thread: orientation
28/09/2018 22:25:53

Another way of looking at it is...it's rather like a vertical mill: X-axis (red) goes left to right, Y-axis (green) goes away from you, and Z-axis (blue) goes up and down.

28/09/2018 22:06:08

Like I said in my post, Z-axis is blue

X-axis is red

Y-axis is green

axes.jpg

28/09/2018 15:02:44

In Fusion, the Z-axis is coloured blue, X is red, and Y is green.

Thread: 3 phase converter help needed please
23/09/2018 13:47:06

Are the parameters locked even though the L2A parameter shown on page 56 is set to Yes?

Thread: Problems with a breadmaker
23/09/2018 13:40:50

I don't think the machine has more than one heater.

Somebody advised her to store the yeast in the fridge in an attempt to solve the problems I've mentioned, but it had no effect.

She uses only Carr's flour purchased in 1.5Kg bags, and weighs 10oz of wholemeal and 4oz of strong white per loaf, which she makes every two days. She typically has one opened bag with one unopened in reserve, and always checks that the water is at approx the same tepid temperature every time. There is no heating in the kitchen but there is a doorway (without a door) to a heated room.So the kitchen temperature does vary, but, because it's an old Victorian house it takes a while to respond to the external temperature.

23/09/2018 13:01:08

My wife has been using a Panasonic bread-maker for many years. She always uses the same recipe, brand of flour, and yeast, but the results vary. Mostly the bread rises OK, but has a distinct slope, with one end taller than the other. Once in a while she gets a pretty near perfect loaf, and occasionally it hardly rises at all.

We've been unable to figure out why the variation and, in particular, why it sometimes hardly rises at all.

She uses the same brand dried yeast and stores the opened packets in the fridge.

Any ideas?

Thread: Cycle chain drawing
19/09/2018 07:57:23

In TurboCAD there is a "Circle tan to Entities" command.

The attached was done by...

1. Draw a 12.7x2.25 rectangle

2. Draw two 8.5 diam circles with centres at the lower two corners of the rectangle

3. Draw a Circle tan to entities circle and choose the the two circles and the rectangle.

tangent solution.jpg

Thread: What do you call this type of chuck?
15/09/2018 07:34:11

Thanks guys. The expense and size puts them out of reach for my requirements. Even if I could afford one it would need to have a capacity of up to 75mm. I'll have to stick with making individual holders.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest