By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Milling spindle - how hot ?
10/09/2013 07:18:42

Hi Ken,

Sign up for the Centec Group where you'll find some (you'll have to dig a bit) dismantling information and reference to raising blocks. You can also contact me offline - I run a 2B.

Thread: turning ally
09/09/2013 13:36:55

"thank you to the people who have helped.

to those who have pulled my husband apart for his poor english, english is his third language.

He would like to say goodbye to you all as he assumes being non english he is not welcome on here judging by comments made about him."

Please try to ignore thoughtless comments from people who should know better. I would think that most people, me included, understood the term "ally" as being some sort of aluminium alloy, so I responded with advice, not criticism, because I really didn't think that anything was wrong.

I'm afraid that open forums, such as this, tend to attract comments from people who apparently would rather criticise than to actually offer to answer the question.

Please don't leave, we're not all pedants.

Thread: Duty Cycle for a Chester Champion V20 Mill ? - part 1
09/09/2013 07:34:25

"Temperature was measured in the range 32 to 40 C ( in one case to 49 C) under NO LOAD condition, with various gearing and spindle rpm settings. All tests were made with the motor cover in place."

Peter, if all your measurements were taken under NO LOAD conditions then they are rather unrealistic. Motors draw only enough current to keep rotating with the applied load. More load needs more current, until the load becomes too much and the motor stalls. Other than friction, motors get hot because of the electrical current in the windings. You need to measure under typical loads.

Thread: Disabled Model Engineers
08/09/2013 08:02:05

Have you heard of REMAP?

There are Remap panels all over the country (roughly one per county) and many have members who are model engineers. My panel, for instance (Coventry & Warwickshire), has two. I'm one of them.

I'm pretty certain that your local panel (contact details can be found on the website) will be able to help.

Caution! AD coming up.

If you have the desire, skill, and aptitude to help people by making and/or designing things to help disabled people then please get in touch with your local panel. The panels hold monthly meetings where new cases and progress on existing cases are discussed. There is no commitment on members other than, if you accept a case you should try to finish it. Other panel members will help if required.

Cases can be mundane or very challenging, and can give the little grey cells a great workout.

Oh, you will, of course, need your own workshop.

Thread: Is it just me?
06/09/2013 14:02:13

Ian, I've had two articles published in MEW, and submitted a third one way back in February; as far as I know it hasn't been rejected, but I've heard nothing more about it.

Thread: turning ally
05/09/2013 22:30:17

There's ally and there's ally. Some of it is very "gummy" and welds itself to the tool tip, especially when parting off. If the tool is not really sharp, high speeds tend to create more heat which exacerbates the problem, in which case it's often better to reduce the speed rather than raising it. As already stated, paraffin is a good lubricant, as is WD40.

Thread: Is it just me?
05/09/2013 17:20:44

I was profoundly disappointed with issue 207.

"CNC in the (Model Engineers' Workshop" was almost all about general milling with only a very small section about CNC, and even that was misleading. Comments on each line of the G-code would be helpful.

"Crossing Out using a Rotary Table" was a rather trivial example of using a rotary table.

"Coordinate Drilling of Holes" was really an insult to anybody who has ever seen graduated hand-wheels. If somebody using a milling machine doesn't know how the graduated hand-wheels are used then they really shouldn't be left alone with such a machine. The rest of the two-part article was more of personal history than anything to do with using a workshop.

The other articles were OK.

I guess I'm alone.

Thread: Drilling 316 stainless
23/08/2013 08:00:49

316 work hardens very easily. I suspect your drill speed is too high and the feed too low. This causes the drill to rub, which heats the steel, which hardens the steel which blunts the drill.

Use a slower speed, with a greater feed (ie. greater pressure to remove more metal per revolution), and don't forget lubrication.

Thread: New subscriptions, am I thick or what?
02/08/2013 12:29:50

I've subscribed for a number of years, and last month I could also read the online issues, but now I can't. I can see the thumbnails which are clearly "live" (the mouse pointer changes to a pointing finger), but absolutely nothing happens when I click, or double click.

Is it just me? Firefox 22.0 under Win7 x64.

Thread: A variable Lead threading attachment. Author Ted McDuffie
11/07/2013 07:36:26
Posted by Ady1 on 18/06/2013 03:11:03:

I had a feeling about this gadget and ran it through some animation software I have

The problem is that the parallelogram describes an arc as it moves... but the slide won't let it do that and forces the cutting tool part of the unit to move in a parallel fashion... so the geometry either jams up or something has to give(break)

The only solution I can see is where the little arm bolts to the big arm, you need a slot, not a hole, for that bolt as the geometry alters, and this may mess up the thread

It's a bit like a shaper drive, there's a slight arc as the drive powers the shaper head and they use a slot, not a hole, at the top of the drive

Anyway, if anyone ever builds one of these things for real... then we'll find out

I think you're wrong, because it's not a parallelogram at all. The schematic diagram is not particularly good, and is certainly not clear.

Point D is attached to the saddle via the topslide, and item 2, which holds the tool, slides across it as the lever AC rotates about point C. The link DB (item 4) is is free to rotate at both ends, so, although the vertical distance between point D and item 2 remains constant, the vertical distance between points A and B reduces as the lever rotates about point B, as does the vertical distance between points C and A.

Thread: Precision on the Beeb
29/06/2013 10:25:41
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 28/06/2013 07:46:25:

BTW. Hans Oersted discovered electro-magnetism before Faraday.

Russell.

You are quite right, I should have been more precise; Farady discovered electro-magnetic induction.

28/06/2013 07:21:52
Posted by magpie on 27/06/2013 22:47:03:

I seem to recall he creditid Henry ford with the concept of standardisation, and no mention of a certain

Mr Whitworth quite a few years before old "enery". Once i spot an error like that i tend to question the rest.

Cheers Derek.

Yes, I noticed that too. I also noticed that although he credited Edison for the electric generator, he didn't even mention Faraday who discovered electro-magnetism and made Edison's invention possible.

Edited By Gary Wooding on 28/06/2013 07:22:43

27/06/2013 15:58:01

I was a rather surprised at his comment that adding copper/zinc/acid layers to the early battery increases the current. It doesn't; it increases the voltage.

The second surprise was his comment that Farenheit chose zero on his thermometer as the freezing point of water, whereas zero is actually the freezing point of an equal mixture of water, ice, and salt. The freezing point of clean water is 32F.

Far too much much attention to flashy graphics and not enough to precise facts.

Makes you wonder at how many other errors got lost in translation

Thread: A variable Lead threading attachment. Author Ted McDuffie
11/06/2013 14:54:51

I don't take ME, so could you make details available on this forum, or maybe email to interested parties?

Thread: Conversion Chart
06/06/2013 15:06:21
Posted by mechman48 on 06/06/2013 12:24:34:

Much as I support & welcome Daves idea for inclusion of charts; look in Roebucks 'ZEUS' pocket book (usual disclaimer).. available on flea bay etc, it has everything you would need .. tapping sizes, drill coordinates for jig boring, trigonometry, tapers, BS 4500.A ISO hole & shaft fits, etc,etc. The latest version I have.. metric revision, now includes - symbols & abreviations used on Engineering Dwgs, Misc' function words from USA-EIA standard, G code addresses for NC, letter addresses used in NC..

Cheers

George

Interestingly, I've just checked my rather old (1976) version of ZEUS, and calculated that its recommended tapping drill sizes are based on an approx 80% thread engagement.

Make of it what you will.

Gary

Thread: Installing a new lathe chuck
02/06/2013 08:12:01

If your primary objective is to securely hold tube without damage, and you have some ER collets, then have you considered these **LINK**?

Just get the hex version and hold it in your 3-jaw - its much cheaper than a 6-jaw.

Thread: Banned from workshop.
30/04/2013 09:00:49

I've got a cordless phone in my workshop - but I can't hear it ring if I'm using the mill or lathesad

Thread: Criteria for article in Me or MEW
22/04/2013 13:48:23

Posted by Raymond Griffin on 22/04/2013 13:18:31:

I may be wrong, but as I see it devices such as sticky pins and wrigglers can only be accurate when the point of the tool is coincident with the centre of the shaft. True concentricity can only be formed and maintained by the accurate grinding of hardened metal. This sounds expensive to me and far above the cost of the average device.

I don't take ME and haven't read the article, so my comments may well be irrelevant.

Anyway, as I see it, the sticky pin requires absolutely no expensive, accurate. grinding at all: any pointed needle in a blob of Bluetack (sp?) will do the job. The whole point (no pun intended) about a sticky pin is that it is easily centred each time it is used. It takes all of 10 seconds. Another comment is that the point of a needle is much smaller than a laser blob.

Am I missing something?

Edited By Gary Wooding on 22/04/2013 13:50:06

Thread: new chuck key
16/04/2013 09:11:03

I've just made one, but I used ordinary mild steel and case hardened the business end, which is now glass hard. Cheaper than silver steel too.

Gary

Thread: 3 hole pcd
15/04/2013 18:51:25

If you can mark the hole centre positions on a piece of paper held against the metal, the PCD centre is simply the intersection of the perpendicular bisectors of the lines connecting the centres.

The lines connecting the hole centres are chords of the PCD circle. The bisectors of these lines must pass through the PCD centre. This is trivial geometry.

The diagram shows that it works even for non-equilateral triangles.

pcd.jpg

Gary

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest