By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can anyone solve this problem?
27/03/2019 11:49:16

Jason is right, I'm looking for a formula that calculates X for various values of C and V.

27/03/2019 11:09:10

Hmm, I've somehow managed add this posting twice. Could a moderator remove one of them please?

27/03/2019 10:52:25

The diagrams show a V-groove in a solid block. The angle of the groove is V.

There is a right circular cone, included angle C, resting in the groove. The point of the cone is at the bottom of the groove, and the cone just lies there touching both sides of the groove. The axis of the cone now lies at some angle X relative to the bottom of the groove.

The problem is simple: what is angle X?

cone in groove.jpgcone in groove2.jpg

Thread: For discussing the merits of alternative 3D CAD programs.
16/03/2019 11:25:41

My first CAD program was called EasyCAD. It was a DOS based program that was distributed on a floppy disk and was strictly 2D .After using it for a few years I encountered a magazine (can't remember the name) that was giving away a copy of a 3D program called TurboCAD. I tried it, but the 3D facility was very Mickey Mouse and I found it not as intuitive as EasyCAD.

There came a day when I designed something for myself (in EasyCAD) that I subsequently decided to submit for publication. Dimensioning was a pain, because EasyCAD didn't have associative dimensions, so when I discovered that TurboCAD did, I switched over and never looked back.

I eventually got a better version of TurboCAD that, although heavily based on a 2D engine, could do pretty good 3D design work, but when somebody demonstrated SolidWorks to me I realised just how primitive TC's 3D was. But there was no way I could afford SolidWorks. I even tried Alibre when it first came out, but was dissuaded by the price.

Then I heard about Fusion, which seemed too good to be true. I downloaded and tried it but, because of the very poor documentation, didn't make much headway. The Remap panel for which I do voluntary work then obtained a 3D printer and I had the first case that required it. I used TC to created an STL for a special mug lid, but it was very slightly too small to fit the mug. Changing the size involved basically redrawing it from scratch, so I decided to use Fusion, with it's parametric facilities. It worked really well, so I gradually switched my work from TC to F360. I still use TC for basic 2D drawings, but use F360 for everything else.

I found the F360 tutorials sort-of useful, but it wasn't until I had to design a complicated model containing lots of separate parts that I got to think in the F360 way. F360 is now my CAD system of choice. I've even started to use the built-in FEA system that is a very pricey and complicated facility in other systems. When I've got some CNC machinery I'll find another use for F360.

Using F360 for a large project certainly requires some self discipline. You should certainly adhere to Rule#1 whenever possible, and be pedantic about naming sketches and features. Failure to do this can lead you into deep water when you sometimes create errors on changing certain parameters. I recommend F360 whole heartedly.

Thread: Anyone got a hydrogen generator?
14/03/2019 07:33:00

I've never bothered to change it in my Aqua-Flame.

13/03/2019 14:44:40

I have an Aqua-Flame unit, which is very similar to a Microflame.

John is correct in stating that the flame is virtually invisible. Fortuitously, the ratio of oxygen and hydrogen produced is just right for burning, and doesn't have to be changed, but, although the flame is very hot - approaching that of oxy-acetylene - it is relatively low in energy. To counteract this, it has something called a booster tank.

Output from the generator is fed through the booster and then to the torch. A liquid is placed in the booster to achieve two things, a) to counter the effects of a blowback, and b) to change the flame temperature. If the booster contains water, then pure oxy-hydrogen is burnt, but if it contains a suitable chemical, the flame temperature and calorific value, is changed. I use methylethylketone (which, I believe, is used in dry-cleaning) to reduce the temperate to about 2000C and increase its calorific value.

Flame size is determined by the size of the torch tip, which is rather like a hypodermic needle, and not by a regulator valve. The flame produced ranges from about 3-4mm wide and 80mm long for the biggest tip I have, to about 0.5mm wide and 2mm long for the smallest one. I am able to hard-solder the tiniest chains with the small tip.

Thread: Fusion 360
13/03/2019 14:07:11

After being a devout TurboCAD user since the free give-away on a magazine, I've now moved completely to F360.

A few weeks ago I found another good reason for using it - it has a built-in FEA (Finite Element Analysis) tool. I've been designing a special lift for a Remap client and needed to know if it would be strong enough. It seemed a daunting task but, after checking out a couple of YouTube videos, I found it works a treat.

I always thought that FEA was a) very difficult and b) it had an eye watering price. But F360 has it built-in.

Yet another reason to use Fusion 360.

Thread: Imperial Milling Machine
12/03/2019 10:55:38

When I initially thought to fit a DRO to my Centec 2B, my first thought was to save money and go for a 2-axis system. Friends at the club said that I would later regret not getting a 3-axis, so I dug deeper into my pockets and bought the 3-axis system. They were right, I use the Z-axis scale very often, and would feel lost without it.

Go for 3-axis - you well never regret it.

I've subsequently fitted another single DRO to the quill. It's useful, but not used as much as the main system.

Oh! I never look at the dials, the DRO is far more accurate, and takes care of backlash problems.

dscn2396.jpg

Thread: Last Night's Astro Image
22/02/2019 10:44:01

Somebody added 32 instead of subtracting it. Pretty bad.

Thread: What happened to soft jaws?
21/02/2019 17:39:23

So that explains it's addition to the front cover - in large black letters on a light grey background ?

21/02/2019 14:17:50

The cover of issue 4606 advertises an article called Soft Vice Jaws, but it's not to be found in the magazine. ???

Thread: Mystery object
16/02/2019 12:12:02

Thank you.

16/02/2019 08:04:19

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll report back to my friend.

15/02/2019 08:19:27

A friend was given this mystery object, but has no idea what it is or what it was used for. He brought it to the ME club last night, and nobody could shed any light on it or its use either.

Its about 10" long and lives in a fitted wooden box. There is a corroded 1/4" (?) ball that fits into the recess at the end, at the bottom of which is a small hole that looks as if it has some sort of thin oil in it. There is no scale or other markings associated with the indicator that is apparent in the photo.

Any ideas?

mystery item 1.jpgmystery item 2.jpgmystery item 3.jpg

Edited By Gary Wooding on 15/02/2019 08:19:59

Thread: Can it be cut - and still operate?
14/02/2019 16:42:14

Thanks for the info guys. I'll order a pair and haunt you if they're junked by the op.

14/02/2019 14:28:57

I've got a small co-ordinate table to which I'd like to fit some simple DROs. The axis travels are X:150mm and Y:75mm. The scales at **HERE** look like they would do the job, except that 150mm for the Y axis is too long. They appear to be using the same technology as used in digital callipers - which I'm told can be cut to length. Does anybody know if these scales can be successfully cut to length?

Thread: Where to begin?
14/02/2019 11:00:50
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 13/02/2019 09:52:28:
Posted by Gary Wooding on 06/02/2019 10:13:45:

The biggest problem with F360 is that there is no user manual and the on-line documentation is rather poor.

There are a series of PDF tutorials available from Autodesk here.

Russell

The series are OK-ish, being a slightly annotated series of screenshots from the video tutorials, but definitely not a real substitute for a purpose written manual. The "help" data available from the actual program is also (in my opinion) completely inadequate if you are trying to find how to find and use the various options available in any the numerous commands.

I'm certainly not knocking the actual program, which really is an astonishingly powerful and versatile piece of software.The paucity of the documentation is simply a reflection of the constantly evolving system - there are (free) updates automatically installed every few weeks.

I've used Solidworks at a friends house, and regretted I could never justify the price, but F360 is, in my opinion, every bit as good (better in some respects) - and it's free.

Thread: Single phase verses 3 phase motor
09/02/2019 17:01:14

I fitted VFDs to my Centec - smooth start and variable speed is far better than 1-phase.

Thread: How do I adjust the quill?
09/02/2019 12:57:41

I've resurrected this thread because I thought it had an interesting outcome.

In the end I decided that the best thing was to replace the pinion gear, but, knowing it would be long job I put it to one side and got on with other stuff. Two days ago my conscience started nagging and I decided to dismantle the drill.

The cover opposite to the handle came off OK, but it was obvious that the handle and cover also had to be removed. The wound spring caused problems because it was riveted to the pinion spindle. I tried, and failed, to extract the spindle, so I removed the spring from the spring-seat. I still couldn't see what was retaining the spindle so I tried gently tapping it out from the other end. That did it. The spindle and gear came out as in the photo. It was when I checked the gear carefully that the problem was revealed. The gear is secured to the spindle with a little roll-pin, which didn't fit properly and allowed the gear to rotate a little.

I measured the amount of rotation as shown in the photos (sorry about the nasty angle) which turned out to be 5.3 degrees. The gear has 18 teeth and an OD of 20mm, so the 5.3 degrees translates into 0.833mm of free play on the quill rack, which matches very well with my observations that started this thread.

I haven't fixed it yet - that's the next job, then I've got to get the spring re-attached to the spring seat.

micro_mill gear1.jpgmicro_mill gear2.jpgmicro_mill gear3.jpgchester micromill3.jpg

Thread: Hi from Cornwall
07/02/2019 11:50:07

Welcome CB.

A friend, who used to be a member of my ME club in the Midlands, moved to Launceston a couple of years ago and was dismayed to find there was no equivalent club within an hour's drive. If you're in the same boat, is there anything to be gained by communicating?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest