By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hi All.
20/07/2020 18:31:43

It could be worse, it could be Ben Dover.

Thread: Statfold railway
20/07/2020 16:53:11

Make sure to visit the workshops and the roundhouse.You certainly won't be disappointed.

Thread: Q-Tech Collet Chuck
19/07/2020 11:13:29
Posted by MC Black 2 on 19/07/2020 10:09:23:

Have you actually used one?

I bought a cheap adjustable spanner a few years ago and the jaw wobbled - waste of money (which I put down to experience!)

Hence my question.

Sorry, no, I haven't used one. I found it when looking for one similar to the Eclipse version that I purchased a few years ago, which works very well and cost only about £12, but it's maximum opening turned out to be 33mm.

For the sole purpose of tightening an ER30 nut I would think it would be quite adequate.

19/07/2020 09:47:13

**THIS** will almost certainly do the job for you, and cheap too.

Thread: Interesting bike ride today
18/07/2020 07:24:19

Way back in 2006 my wife discovered two tiny bats 'swimming' in the WC. The sash window was open an inch or so and has a lace curtain. It seems that the bats had been able to push the curtain inwards, but were unable to push it out when they discovered their mistake. They fell into the WC and couldn't get out again. My wife opened the window and used a towel to provide a ramp for the bats, which she then placed on the window sill. When she told me what had happened I went to look, then decided to get my camera. By the time I got back, one of the bats had flown away, but this rather bedraggled one remained. 30 minutes later, it too had flown away.

bat on ledge.jpg

Thread: Trembling laptop
16/07/2020 12:31:50
Posted by Bandersnatch on 15/07/2020 16:52:58:
Posted by Gary Wooding on 15/07/2020 07:36:02:

when I gently brush my hand or finger on the metal panel surrounding the keyboard I feel a very slight trembling.

Hmm .... I interpreted that to mean a vibration or acoustic trembling. Everyone else seems to have understood electrical fault.

Trembling is a better description of the sensation than tingling. It's extremely slight and is eliminated if more pressure is applied. It's definitely a mains frequency. I'm told that not everybody can feel it, but my wife is also able to detect it. The screen has a metal bezel but the the trembling is not apparent on it; it's only apparent on the metal cover around the keyboard/touchpad.

Thread: Basic Electrics
16/07/2020 10:29:06

***This*** makes interesting reading.

Thread: Trembling laptop
15/07/2020 13:03:55

Thanks for all the useful replies. I couldn't try a different charger but, encouraged by the optimism of your replies I spoke to a local PC repair shop who agreed with all your responses, but nevertheless suggested calling Lenovo, which I did. I'm now encouraged to accept that the trembling is very common and nothing to worry about.

Thanks again.

15/07/2020 07:36:02

I've just purchased a used laptop - a Lenovo IdeaPad. It works perfectly, except for one rather worrying thing - when I gently brush my hand or finger on the metal panel surrounding the keyboard I feel a very slight trembling. If I unplug the charging unit the trembling stops. It's clearly a mains frequency trembling. The charging unit is marked INPUT: 100V-240V~1.5A 5-60Hz OUTPUT: 20V = 3.25A. The '=' sign is actual a horizontal line above a horizontal dashed line.

Does this signify a serious fault or am I a little paranoid?

lenovo charger.jpg

Thread: Unkown plastic
09/07/2020 14:01:39

I tried the hot needle test and the fumes were certainly not acrid. Not unpleasant at all really. So presumably not Crystal Styrene.

Are there similar tests for the other suggestions?

08/07/2020 09:42:57

My wife has an empty cosmetics jar. It's quite small and looks and feels very much like cut crystal glass. The fingernail test says glass, but the tooth test says plastic. Any idea what it could be?

Thread: Amazon Prime scam?
08/07/2020 09:34:42

My phone and internet are from TalkTalk, both of which work fine. The phone has an optional, free, call screening facility. Calls from whitelisted numbers are passed normally, all others must state their name which is passed to me when I answer. I can then whitelist the number by pressing 1, accept it this time only by pressing 2, or rejecting it by pressing 3. Since using the service I've had almost no spam or scam calls.

Thread: Mill
07/07/2020 09:32:06

As a teenager in the 50's I remember a shop sign (outside a tailor's I seem to remember) that said 'Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten'.

Thread: Broken drill bit in hole
06/07/2020 15:08:56

Sorry to disappoint. Making small tube is not difficult, just time consuming.

06/07/2020 10:58:25

NDIY.

I made the tube from 0.5mm sheet, which I first rolled down to 0.25mm and cut a strip just a little wider than the circumference of the required tube. I cut one end of the strip into a 'V' and then used a swage block, and a series of suitably sized rods, to bend the strip lengthways into a 'U' shape. The end of the 'V' was then poked through a suitably sized hole in a draw-plate, and then pulled through to start closing the 'U' shape into a circle. Smaller and smaller holes were then used until I had a hollow tube - albeit too large an OD - which I then soldered along the seam. I then used smaller and smaller holes in the draw-plate until I reckoned it was just right for inserting the iron wire. With the wire inserted I could then continue using smaller and smaller holes until it got to the required OD. After a final annealing I could then coil the tube around a former to make the required helix.

Acid then got rid of the iron core.

Thread: Centering Microscope
06/07/2020 10:38:37
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 06/07/2020 08:07:26:

Have a look at this, Mark : **LINK**

When I was in my teens, and blissfully unaware of the problems, I dismantled a pair of binoculars to clean them. Even now, many years later, I well remember the frustrating days I spent re-aligning the prisms. But I eventually managed it.

Thread: Broken drill bit in hole
05/07/2020 07:21:01
Posted by Tomfilery on 11/12/2019 11:17:48:

Garry,

As you are making a boiler, and therefore have pickle for cleaning it up, just put your boiler in the pickle and leave it overnight. You will likely find your drill will have disintegrated, or can readily be removed the next morning.

Using pickling acid will certainly do the job without harming the copper. Heat it up to speed the process.

I once made some earrings from 1.5mm OD gold tube. The tube was made with a core of 1mm iron wire to support it when it was coiled to make the helix required for the earring design. The iron core was removed by immersing the helix in 10% H2SO4. I had to heat the acid, but it still took about 2 days to remove all the iron.

Thread: Old School Drawing Exercises and 2D CAD
04/07/2020 12:50:20

Here's a test that might be of interest. The yellow spot indicates a tangent.

cad drawing test.jpg

03/07/2020 14:10:01
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 03/07/2020 13:55:13:

Once the approach is explained, easy enough to do manually, with Qcad, or with any other competent 2D CAD package. Not sure about FreeCAD & Fusion360's sketch tools for this particular job. They might not have the 2D primitives needed to construct the curve. (I haven't checked.) They can both do spline curves, but in this example it might be easier to construct the outline in 2D CAD and import the answer rather than sketch it.

Dave

My effort was done with Fusion sketch. What's wrong with it?

03/07/2020 13:54:44
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 03/07/2020 12:57:44:
Posted by Georgineer on 03/07/2020 12:26:27:

This thread is taking some very interesting directions. Keep it up, lads!

And Neil,your knurler looks useful. Would it make a suitable subject for MEW?

George B.

It's not mine, it's Gary's!

Not 100% sure but I think the design looks familar.

Neil

It was published in issue 72 of MEW, called Yet Another Knurling Tool

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest