By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What mills have you had
23/07/2019 13:26:16

My first was a vertical slide on a Boxford BUD, but I now have a Centec 2B with the Mk3 VH and power-feed. I've fitted VFDs to both spindle and power-feed, a 3-axis Newel DRO, and a Raising block.

Thread: Learning Fusion 360
18/07/2019 17:11:42

After about 14 years of using TurboCAD I enrolled for a free one day course about SolidWorks. I was sold. It was so much better than TCAD, but there was no way I could justify the astronomical price. And there was no concession for REMAP usage. Then, in 2016, I heard about F360, which appeared to be very similar in many ways.

I downloaded and tried the built-in tutorials but, without any good documentation, found progress slow and painful. F360 documentation leaves a lot to be desired.

I then discovered the series of videos by John Saunders **LINK** to be rather useful and learnt a lot. When his series started to concentrate on CNC I looked elsewhere and discovered the series by Lars Christensen **LINK** which I also found to be very useful. That's where I learnt how to do stress analysis.

I've found that I tend to make most progress from having to finish a personal project rather than by following tutorials. I then discovered the Autodesk Community of the Philippines **LINK** This was quite different. It's actually a series of 10 or so monthly challenges designed with the aim of awarding a certificate to those who register and complete the series. It's not necessary to register in order to see each challenge - I didn't. Each challenge is a bite-sized project designed to introduce one or two new concepts. If, like me, you don't register, you have to wait for the end of the month to see the challenge and it's solution, which is presented in a very clear manner, with each keypress fully described. Challenges from earlier years are a good source of information.

I've now switched to F360 for just about all my CAD work, but resort to TCAD for quick 2D drawings. F360 isn't very good for 2D drawings - it can create the normal orthographic drawings from 3D models, but 2D is not what it's all about.

Edited By Gary Wooding on 18/07/2019 17:14:10

Edited By Gary Wooding on 18/07/2019 17:15:19

Thread: More mystery tools
13/07/2019 12:49:55

My friend's name was John Salt - if you look closely you can see his name in the bottom 2 photos. He died a couple of years ago.

He taught me the rudiments of engraving some years ago, but I'm still very much a novice.

13/07/2019 10:26:50

A very good friend of mine was a master engraver who used to decorate the expensive guns of the prestigious gun makers. When he finished a gun, which took several months work, I used to photograph them for him. Here are some examples.

dscn0089.jpgdscn0095.jpgdscn0294.jpgdscn0295.jpgdscn0958lh.jpgdscn0959rhs.jpg

Thread: Multi faceted drill bits - really necessary?
03/07/2019 12:51:19

When I posted this ***LINK*** to a demo of the Sealey SMS2008 I was surprised that there was no response at all.

Here's a couple of before-and-after pictures of a drill sharpened on my device. It's really easy to use - just as shown in the video.The sharpened drill cuts very well - like it should.

drill blunt.jpgdrill sharpened.jpg

26/06/2019 15:47:08

I purchased a Sealey SMS2008 drill sharpener a few years ago - it works really well. The link is a demo.

Thread: Centec raising block
24/06/2019 10:44:06

I just remembered that my 2B with a MK3 VH is sitting on1" oak blocks with adjustable feet. I've just measured again. From the bottom of the cabinet (ie. the part that would be on the floor if I removed the feet and oak blocks) to the top of the VH, without the drawbar, is 63.5" (161.3cm). The drawbar sticks out 1.5" (3.9cm).

24/06/2019 07:50:52

Brian.

The overall height of my 2B, with the drawbar in place, is, as near as I can measure it, 67" or 170cm. The drawbar is 12" (30.5cm) long.

Bill.

Sorry, I have no plans to make any more raising blocks..

23/06/2019 22:01:35

Of the 20 or so raising blocks I've made, 2 were 4" and all the rest were 4.5".

Thread: Is CAD for Me?
23/06/2019 08:13:55

Barrie.

Fusion has a facility called Attached Canvas, which allows you to insert images onto any plane or surface you like. Each image can be scaled as needed and used to guide the creation of the model features required. The visibility of attached canvases can be controlled independently, from the model, and from each other. The opacity of any canvas or model can be controlled from almost transparent to fully opaque.

I don't know MOI, but from the video it would appear that organic shapes are created from sets of contour lines defined as splines. Fusion is quite different. It has a facility known as T-splines which allow the direct creation and modification of surfaces in 3D - rather like moulding sheets of clay. That's how the shoes were created. I would like to make it clear that I didn't create the shoes - I'm nowhere near that level of expertise.

22/06/2019 22:10:56
Posted by Barrie Lever on 22/06/2019 11:22:49:

Nigel

Well MOI is just very good at creating 3D models, you can then use that 3D model for a fancy illustration or to go to manufacturing (machining or printing)

Alibre, Solidworks or Fusion 360 would beat MOI for the bevel gear illustrated by Andrew and Jason, although MOI would do the job. MOI would beat Fusion, Alibre and Solidworks for producing a very organic surface model like the wingtip of the model plane.

... CLIP

How about these shoes, produced entirely in Fusion.

shoes.jpg

21/06/2019 07:08:48

Nigel.

If you live anywhere near Warwick then I'd be happy to teach you to use either Tcad or Fusion, or both. I'm certain I can make your "penny drop".

Thread: How to machine Acetal
14/06/2019 22:52:47

I use a sharp tangential tool, medium to high speed. But the long swarf creates a birds nest if you're not careful. For the roughing cuts I move the saddle in bursts to let the swarf escape during each pause. The final, fine, cut is done in one movement so as to get a nice, even, finish.

Thread: Dro scale positioning
14/06/2019 10:08:06

Mike

The conversion in my photo uses glass scales and no interference with handles has been encountered.

14/06/2019 07:53:43

I did something similar to John's solution on a friend's VMC mill.

warco_vmc x-scale setup.jpg

Thread: Is CAD for Me?
13/06/2019 09:52:18

Nigel

I had no formal training in reading technical manuals - I had a 2 week introduction to programming course when I joined the company, but after that I was on my own. I did, however, have the advantage of being able to ask questions.

The PDF User Guide that came with TCad V21 PP contains 1154 pages, and is quite comprehensive, but it's not a How-To manual. It describes the functions of the multitude of tools, but not how to use them. An analogy could be descriptions of various paints, paint brushes, and canvases, but no assistance on how to paint a picture.

You are right, changing an entity causes the dimensions to change (that's called "associated dimensions", but manually changing a dimension has no effect on the entity.

Fusion has no layers. Instead, it creates a list of every entity you create, together with a name (which you can change). Next to each name is a symbolic lightbulb which you can switch on or off. The entity is visible only if the lightbulb is on. Groups of entities are controlled in the same way. This gives far more control than layers can provide.

Fusion also uses snaps, but they are rather more intuitive than TC's.

It's possible that the drafting pallet is only in TC PP.

The problem with changing the size of the mug-lid was that the shape had to subtly change as well. It just wasn't feasible in TC.

I think you're wrong in thinking that Fusion's poor 2D drawing is intentional so as to prevent it usurping AutoDesk's other products. Fusion is relatively new and the main thrust has been to create a superior modelling system. I think that the 2D drawing section is still being developed.

Did you take a look at the Philippines series I mentioned. The new entries for 2019 are a good place to start - the challenges get more difficult in later months.

12/06/2019 17:19:16

Nigel.

My working life was as a software developer with a large computer manufacturer. I've been retired for over 20 years. New programming languages were learnt from formal descriptions of the instruction sets, so I was quite at home with the TC User Guide which was distributed as a PDF with the program. I use a rather old V21 Pro Professional system. Instructions were chosen to achieve desired results, both in a program language and TC. In my case I found the best way of making progress was by reading the manuals with the objective of solving the current problem. I found videos to be not very helpful in this respect.

The TC manual I used was basically a list of the available tools, grouped into related sections, with each tool's controls being properly described. By knowing the purpose of each tool, and how they were controlled I was able to decide what to use to get the required result. I tried watching videos but found I made progress only when I had a personal project that I had to complete. In TC I eventually reached the stage where I could draw faster with TC than I could with pencil and paper.

Fusion was different. There is no detailed list and descriptions of the numerous tools. I found the tutorial videos interesting until I attempted to copy them. When I got different results I couldn't tell if I had done something wrong, or if the program had been updated to make the tutorial out of date. Either way I found it difficult. The mug lid was my first real Fusion project. It was very simple, but it worked, and gave me the confidence to persevere. I'm still learning (it's a massive system) but my confidence is growing.

TC and Fusion have very different ways of creating 2D drawings. TC has the concept of Model Space and Paper Space. The model (2D or 3D) is always created in model space, and sections called Views are defined by creating bounding rectangles. The views can contain 2D or 3D models. There is an additional facility known as the Drafting Pallet, in which orthogonal views of 3D models can be defined. Switching to paper space reveals a window that contains all or part of a standard, user specified, drawing sheet. Any of the views, including those from the drafting pallet, can be inserted anywhere in the sheet. It is possible to add dimensions to paper space, and to honour any layers defined in the model. There can be multiple paper spaces. Dimensions in model space are only descriptive - if a dimension is changed manually, the entity to which it refers remains unaltered. Each TC file contains the model and any defined paper spaces.

Fusion has no concept of layers, model, or paper space. Every item created has its own "light bulb", which controls its visibility. Dimensions are used in the 2D sketches or tools used to create features of the 3D model. If they are subsequently changed, the model is automatically updated to reflect those changes. All dimensions can be given names and values which are kept in a list. Changing values in the list will cause the model to be updated. Features are combined to create entities called "components". Components can be grouped together by "joints" which can allow movement and animation. 2D drawings are created separately, in a separate file. Orthogonal views are created automatically and dimensions can be added at will. Changes to the original model are reflected in the 2D drawings. The 2D drawings have nothing like the versatility of TC, and seem to me to be rather clumsy in comparison.

To answer your question about the mug lid. In both TC and F360 I basically drew a 2D representation of a X-section which was revolved to create a 3D model of the required STL. It wasn't possible to change the sizes in TC, but was quite trivial in F360.

12/06/2019 08:07:12

My first CAD program was called EasyCAD. It was a DOS based program, distributed on a floppy disk, and was strictly 2D .After using it for a few years I encountered a magazine (can't remember the name) that was giving away a copy of a 3D program called TurboCAD. I tried it, but the 3D facility was very Mickey Mouse and I found it not as intuitive as EasyCAD.

There came a day when I designed something for myself (in EasyCAD) that I subsequently decided to submit for publication. Dimensioning was a pain because EasyCAD didn't have associative dimensions, so when I discovered that TurboCAD did, I switched over and never looked back.

I eventually got a better version of TurboCAD that, although heavily based on a 2D engine, could do pretty good 3D design work, and when somebody demonstrated SolidWorks to me I realised just how primitive TC's 3D was. But there was no way I could afford SolidWorks. I even tried Alibre when it first came out, but was dissuaded by the price.

Then I heard about Fusion, which seemed too good to be true. I downloaded and tried it but, because of the very poor documentation, didn't make much headway. The Remap panel for which I do voluntary work then obtained a 3D printer and I had the first case that required it. I used TC to created an STL for a special mug lid, but it was very slightly too small to fit the mug. Changing the size involved basically redrawing it from scratch, so I decided to use Fusion, with it's parametric facilities. It worked really well, so I gradually switched my work from TC to F360. I still use TC for basic 2D drawings, but now use F360 for everything else. F360's 2D sketching is really excellent, but it's 2D drawing can only truthfully be described as "work in progress".

I found the F360 tutorials sort-of useful, but it wasn't until I had to design a complicated model containing lots of separate parts that I got to think in the F360 way. F360 is now my CAD system of choice. I've even started to use the built-in FEA system that is a very pricey and complicated facility in other systems. When I've got some CNC machinery I'll find another use for F360.

I too prefer to learn from good documentation, and found the TC User Guide rather good. Alas, the F360 documentation is appalling, so I resorted to the numerous YouTube videos. The early ones from NYC CNC (John Saunders) were very useful, as were those from Live Lars, but I found the series from Autodesk Community Philippines particularly useful. It is really the solutions to a series of monthly challenges, each of which is designed to introduce one or more useful techniques. Although the stated main purpose of the series is for the subscribers to eventually gain a certificate for completing all the challenges of that particular year, there is no requirement to do so. I just watched each solution when it appeared. Each challenge is a bite-sized problem, complete in itself, and the solutions are presented in a very clear manner with each step being fully described.

Thread: Changing a Senior M1 from Vertical to Horizontal.
04/06/2019 07:02:38

You can make it somewhat easier by putting a suitably sized box, or some such, on the mill table, which can then be used as jack to raise and lower the box until the VH can be transferred between it and the mill. Works fine for my Centec.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
28/05/2019 11:58:51

My son spent the weekend with us and I spent the weekend teaching him how to use my mill. We made a replacement sustain block for his Ibanez Edge Pro guitar. The pot-metal original had stripped a couple of threads and I thought it would be a nice experience to make a replacement in brass. We had a good time together deciding setups and machining steps.

still 7.jpgstill 6.jpgstill 5.jpgstill 4.jpgstill 3.jpgstill 1.jpg

Edited By Gary Wooding on 28/05/2019 12:00:10

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest