By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Scheppach Bandsaw Portable
24/01/2022 10:32:30
With my 4x6 bandsaw I, and many others I would think, have discovered that the movable vice jaw tends to rotate when trying to hold short length workpieces. This method completely solves this problem, and requires no changes to any part of the bandsaw at all. It's just a metal plate the same size as the fixed vice jaw, about 6mm thick. I used some aluminium sheet. A hole is drilled and tapped near one end to accept a suitable length of threaded rod that is used as a jack. I used M10. That's it.
The plate is positioned against the moveable jaw and, with the workpiece clamped tightly near the pivot point of the moveable jaw, the jack can be adjusted to meet the other jaw. The vice is released to allow the workpiece to be positioned properly and then clamped firmly. The jack stops the movable jaw from rotating.
If another plate is made but without the threaded hole, the two plates can be used together to hold short items very close to the saw blade.
A third plate of appropriate thickness can be used to lift odd shaped workpieces to allow the saw to cut right through.
The diagram illustrates all three uses. Works for me.
jaw pads.jpg
Thread: Cannot upload image to album
20/01/2022 13:52:50

Irfanview is a very useful, free program, that can do lots of things with image files, including conversion of many image formats, including HEIC. It's my most used image app.

Thread: Calculator App
17/01/2022 07:37:19

The Casio fx-85ES will do what you want.

Thread: Chester Craftsman or Crusader?
08/01/2022 12:05:55
Posted by Colin Bennett 1 on 07/01/2022 12:06:31:

In general, does anybody know what power supply the Craftsman need? Does it need a 16amp supply or a 32amp supply? If it is 32amp then I might need to upgrade the supply to the garage.

My 12x36 Geared head came with a 1.5hp 1ph motor (same as the Craftsman) that ran quite happily from a standard 13A socket. After swapping the motor for a 2hp 3ph + VFD it still runs fine from a 13A socket. I didn't choose a 2hp motor because 1.5hp wasn't enough, I chose it because I could get it at a good price.

07/01/2022 10:18:36

I purchased a Chester 12x36 Geared Head lathe about 20 or so years ago and have had no problems. I replaced the original 1ph 1.5hp motor with a 2hp 3ph motor and Mitsubishi VFD. The 1.5hp was adequate and 2hp wasn't really necessary but it was the right price. I also fitted a 2 axis DRO.

I'm happy with it.

Thread: Bench grinder to polisher
02/01/2022 11:42:38

Mine are attached by grub screws.

If you've never done polishing with a mop before then take great care not to catch an edge in the mop. It can snatch the workpiece out of your hands in an instant - throwing it with great force at anything in its way and causing damage and possibly injury.

Thread: Solid Edge Community Edn. - Gen. Qs. Thereof
02/01/2022 11:34:58

I'm very familiar with Fusion and, not being a SE user, took a look at Emgee's link and found it rather like a magician pulling rabbits out of a hat. So I looked around to see if there was anything that suited me better, and found **THIS** link, which is the 1st of a series. You can skip the 1st 5 minutes 'cos it's all about downloading SE, but the rest is fine.

01/01/2022 14:25:53

Nigel: Could you draw a rough pencil & paper sketch of what you're trying to do, and post it here?

Thread: VFD - which is best please ?
31/12/2021 12:11:21

I've got 4 Mitsubishis - 2 on my mill and one each on my lathe and drill-press. I've fitted 2 more on a friend's mill and another friend has one on his lathe. No problems so far after 15 years use.

Thread: Solid Edge Community Edn. - Gen. Qs. Thereof
31/12/2021 12:04:27

Nigel: Check the display resolution and report back with your Belarc numbers. This forum will then be more able to guide you for your next step, whether to upgrade or replace?

31/12/2021 07:34:54

Nigel: Yes, you can add another 4MB to make 8MB.

If you right-click anywhere on your desktop that is not an icon, then click Display settings it will show the current and maximum resolution of your monitor.

30/12/2021 16:00:10

Nigel: There is a very useful free program called Belarc Advisor. If you download and run it you will get a very comprehensive listing of your computer's hardware, as well as some useful info about your software licences, versions, and usage.

30/12/2021 10:12:01

My Win10 Home system is a very modest 7yr old 3.20Ghz Core i5-4460, 12GB RAM, 450GB SSD, and 1TB HDD, with GeForce GT 705 video card. It runs Fusion very well, and I've just downloaded, installed and run SE(C) 2022 with no problems.

It originally came with Win7 installed, which I upgraded to Win10 Home when it became available. I've had no problems with the upgrade and all my installed programs continued to run without problems. I see no advantages in upgrading to Win11, even if I could - it's doesn't meet minimum requirements.

29/12/2021 17:32:37

Nigel:

The point I was making with the puzzle is that modern CAD systems can do it exactly with just 3 constraints - no calculations at all. You just draw the the 2 axes and the square, then a 35 unit long line and say the ends of the line must touch the axes and the line itself must touch the corner of the square - job done.

My rather ancient m/c is too old for Win11, but I personally don't see it has any advantages over Win10.

I reckon SE(C) would be perfect for you and yes, the file-types you mentioned are industry standard.

29/12/2021 13:02:03

Nigel: Just to whet your appetite, try creating a line drawing in TCAD containing...

Two lines from a point - 1 vertical and the other horizontal - like the +X and +Y axes of a graph.

At the point of intersection, ie locn 0,0, draw a square of side 12 units.

Now draw a line, 35 units long, that just touches the two lines and just touches the corner of the square.

And yes, I know it's a very old puzzle that's a pig to calculate, hard to draw in TCAD, but trivial in Fusion or any other modern 3D cad system.

26/12/2021 14:06:06

Nigel: Select the viewport, right click and select Properties, then choose the layers to be included.

26/12/2021 08:07:38

Nigel: It's certainly possible to print a rendered 3D model from paperspace, as per the attachment.

4-facet drillbit.jpg.

26/12/2021 07:49:37
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 25/12/2021 22:28:30:

Thank you very much, Gary, for your very generous offer; but as you dojn't have a public profile, it tells me, I cannot see how to send you a PM!

That's very strange, I've received several PMs in the past.

25/12/2021 10:31:35

Nigel: About TCAD. My V21.2 came with a 475 page Reference Manual in the form of a PDF. As a reference manual it's pretty good, but it's not a tutorial. If you don't have it, drop me a PM and I'll send you a copy. I painstakingly divided it into 4-page signatures which I printed in booklet form on A4 sheets and then folded each page and bound them together to produce a 475 page A5 book. I found it very useful.

When in Paperspace click File and then Page setup to choose whatever page size you want. You can specify your own page size with the Page Setup wizard. You can even define a very large print area and 'tile' it with sheets of your choosing. TCAD will handle it for you.

In Modelspace, click Modify and you can choose Fillet or Chamfer.

TCAD has all the tools you need to produce really good 2D drawings or fully rendered 3D models - I know because I've done it. But, compared to a modern 3D CAD system, the tools are blunt and somewhat sparse.

All good CAD programs are complex and require a steep learning curve. It seems to me that you have really just started with TCAD and still have a way to go. It took me at least a year to become efficient enough to use it without really thinking about it. After a day's worth of Solidworks I was convinced that a true 3D system was the way to go, but I had to wait until Fusion came along. Had I known about SE(C), or equivalent, then I guess I'd be using that now.

I take the point about the Win10 requirement, but to my mind that's really not a good reason to spend time and effort on learning an outdated system. Far better to bite the bullet and go for something more up-to-date.

Both TCAD and Fusion came with many tutorials, none of which I found useful. I'd probably feel the same about SE(C). My main source of learning was with queries on the relevant user forum and Youtube videos from presenters sifted from many that were a waste of time.

It seems to me that, after painstakingly learning to use pen and ink you're getting to grips with a typewriter, where you should be starting to learn a word processor.

24/12/2021 11:48:44

Peter: Your observation is exactly the same as mine.

Nigel: Your observations about TCAD's multitude of editing modes is a reflection on it's origin in 2D and the addition of 3D. This is very apparent with the complexity of the workplane and reference-point system. Not to mention the very different properties between layer-0 and all the other layers. It's also very apparent in the very distributed and haphazard customization facilities, where it's obvious that bits of code from various places have been brought together without any real attempt to integrate.

You are wrong about viewports in Paperspace, You can set any scaling you like by selecting the viewport and clicking Properties.

All CAD systems require climbing a steep learning curve - clearly you are still climbing TCAD's. The modern 3D systems are really no more difficult, but they are different and vastly more powerful. They don't have the workplane concept of TCAD, nor do they have the concept of layers (at least Fusion doesn't). They also have something that TCAD really lacks - a timeline where you can go back in time to make changes that affect recent modelling.

I take your point about lack of support for subsequent operating system versions, but have no real answer to it.

I can't speak for SE, but Fusion can use any sized paper for drawings and use any scale you like. I'm sure all the other 3D systems are the same.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest