By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What G-code to use?
18/11/2019 07:45:03

Thanks Michael, I got some useful stuff from your searches. Unfortunately, the second link you supplied, the one ending in "/EN/Download.htm" doesn't load on my system (Firefox Win10); no error, just a blank window.

17/11/2019 08:14:10

I want to use Fusion 360 to generate G-code for a Powercentre KM80 vertical mill. I know nothing about the mill, other than its name. I've been unable to discover what flavour of G-code it uses - the owner uses PC Conversational Can anyone shed any light please? Can it actually be programmed externally, and if so, how is the code inserted?

Thread: Yet another 'which mill shall I buy'
12/11/2019 14:23:43
Posted by Vic on 12/11/2019 13:31:40:

Some folks have made raising blocks for their VMC’s but many seem happy with the available Z. If they were available off the shelf I’d probably buy a modest size raiser block.

See my album called VMC for a raising block I made for a friend of mine.

12/11/2019 14:21:59
Posted by mark smith 20 on 11/11/2019 11:07:56:

Get one of these ,ive never regreted it.smiley

18.jpg

Hi Mark, is it a Deckel?

I could really fancy one of those, it's even better than my Centec 2B

Thread: new computer
08/11/2019 10:14:20
Posted by Mike Poole on 07/11/2019 00:18:23:

I have a cheap cloning tool that you just pop the drive to be cloned and the new drive in then press the button, 2 hours later job done, worked a treat to replace my old drive with a SSD hybrid drive.

Mike

That seems an interesting tool now that EaseUS Todo Backup no longer includes disk cloning in the free version. Can you say a little more about this tool. What's it called, where did it come from, and how much was it? Or maybe a link to it.

Thread: Mills with tilting heads..?
26/10/2019 14:41:15

The Mk3 VH on my Centec 2B can tilt 90° in either direction. I seldom use it, but one job I did would have been very difficult without it. The 6 slots in the the photo are rounded and were milled with a ball-end cutter with the head tilted at 43°. I'm not sure how to do it without tilting the head, and ensuring a smooth transition between the angles.

still 8.jpg

Thread: diameter calculation
16/10/2019 12:18:37
Posted by duncan webster on 13/10/2019 23:55:52:
........... but just to be pedantic, don't you need to use the cosine rule to find angle C to start the whole thing off rather than sin rule

Yes, you're right.

Thread: Lidl grinder/belt sander 29.99
15/10/2019 16:31:54

I guess the tool bit wasn't long enough.

Thread: Built-up edge
13/10/2019 22:04:51

I sometimes get the same problem even when using WD40. The weldup is sometimes quite difficult to remove even with a screwdriver bit, but it eventually does come off with no detriment to the cutting tip.

Thread: An interesting repair to an Hour Wheel
13/10/2019 13:38:04

I think its ingenious. Not pretty, but effective.

Thread: diameter calculation
13/10/2019 10:38:21

Just to dot all the 'I's, here is my 'proof' of Nick's solution.

It depends on two properties of chords in circles, and the Sine rule of trigonometry.

1. All angles subtended on one side by a chord to any point on the circumference are equal, so in the diagram, angle C equals angle D.

2. If the chord is a diameter, the angle is 90°, and conversely, if the angle subtended by a chord is 90° then the chord is a diameter.

3. The Sine rule states that, for any triangle, Sin A/a = Sin B/b = Sin C/c

In the diagram, A, B, and C, are the three random points, and the circle is their PCD. You want to calculate the length of its diameter.

Choose any side of the triangle ABC (side AB in the diagram) and draw a perpendicular line from one end to to meet the circle. This is the dashed line BD.

Because they both come from chord AB, angles C and D are equal, so SinC = SinD.

But SinD = c/h, so h = c/SinD = c/SinC

But angle ABD is a right angle, so h = the diameter of the circle.

chords in a circle.jpg

Thread: Metal expansion
04/10/2019 17:25:21
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 04/10/2019 14:42:36:

As for water does it really expand when it freezes? water becomes ice when it freezes, so maybe it can be considered no longer water. Ice of course is less dense because it expands and is lighter than water for the same volume, hence it floats on water.devil Change of state and all that.

Regards Nick.

Just because it has different names doesn't mean its different substances. Ice, water, and steam are all names for the substance also known as H²O. Water starts to expand when it gets below 3.98°C and reaches its minimum density at 0°C.

04/10/2019 14:00:05
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 04/10/2019 13:49:45:

Quoting the handbook I see I've been careless again: the metals expand on solidification, which isn't necessarily the same as expanding on cooling.

blush

Dave

Same as water, which expands when it freezes. In its solid or liquid state it expands on heating, it's just the transition that is odd. Lucky though, otherwise ponds etc would freeze from the bottom up - but unlucky too 'cos Titanic hit a floating iceberg.

04/10/2019 12:46:34

Imagine a block with a hole drilled through. Now image a plug of the same material that exactly fills the hole. Ignoring friction etc, the plug can obviously be removed and inserted at will. Now, with the plug in position, heat the block and plug up together. Clearly the plug still fits the hole, so the hole expands the same as the plug.

Thread: 3 Phase
30/09/2019 07:13:01
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 29/09/2019 10:59:58:
Posted by Gary Wooding on 29/09/2019 10:26:44:

Hence no loss of power.

Pay attention there at the back. smile

Andrew

Whoops! Sorry sir. embarrassed

29/09/2019 10:26:44
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 29/09/2019 09:32:04:

Incidentally a star connected motor will run just fine off an inverter producing 3-phase at 230V phase to phase. The issue is that the phase currents, and hence torque and power, will be down by a factor of 1.732, aka the square root of three.

Andrew

In a star connected motor running with 440v 3-ph, each winding "sees" 220v, which is exactly the same as they see when running with 220v in delta layout. Hence no loss of power.

Thread: Any idea where to buy a square file 1/4" x 1/4"??
29/08/2019 12:25:14

+1 for a 3-square file - it makes sharper corners.

Thread: Tyres for bandsaw
29/08/2019 07:31:52

I purchased a roll of the self-amalgamating tape but since it was 20mm wide and the tyres are only 12mm I put it to one side while I figured a way to accurately trim the width.

I then saw Alastair's and Mark's posts about neoprene and bought a roll of 12x1.5mm, cut lengths equivalent to 75% of the circumference and superglued the ends together. When stretched over the wheels the tension is so great that I didn't bother with glueing them on. They worked perfectly. We'll see how long the superglue holds.

Good result, the saw is back in service. Thanks everyone.

Thread: ACME thread identification question.
25/08/2019 17:22:19

Here's how I insert a link into a posting.

Copy the URL of the link you want, either by writing it down or using the Windows COPY facility (ctl+C).

Then click the LINK icon above to bring up link window and enter the information required. When you click OK the link data is saved t the cursor position.

**AnyThing***

add a link1.jpg

add a link2.jpg

add a link3.jpg

Thread: Bandsaw blades
25/08/2019 14:22:37

I have the Axminster 4.5" - it's about 25 years old. Neither wheel has a tyre. Here's a couple of photos of the drive wheel - one with the vertical table in place and one with it folded away for horizontal sawing.

bandsaw1.jpg

bandsaw2.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne; London MES
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest