By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: which older mill to complement a ML7?
21/09/2020 15:05:40

If you can find a Centec 2B with Mk3 VH, then snap it up. If it's good enough for Cherry Hill then it should be perfect for you.

Thread: Reminiscences
19/09/2020 16:22:51

I recall my dad coming off his bike when a wheel got stuck in a tram track. I also remember when the tar blocks that paved the roads and carried the tram tracks were removed so that a new surface could be laid for the brand new trolley buses. And a guy with a long pole that was used to set the trolley pickup arms onto the overhead cables. I also have strong memories of the London smogs where (trolley)buses were guided by a man on foot holding a flaring torch.

Thread: Is this doable?
17/09/2020 15:42:12

I'm with the 1mm drill set, but in order to provide bottom rake I'd drill at an angle of approx 6°, then file the end off to create the semi-circle.

Thread: ECLIPSE MAGNETIC CHUCK
13/09/2020 16:07:04

NDIY

So why, if they were magnetised after assembly, would disassembly demagnetise them?

It doesn't make sense to me.I'm not trying to be awkward, I really want to know.

Edited By Gary Wooding on 13/09/2020 16:08:31

13/09/2020 12:30:42

I read the statement in the documentation that says "Chuck cannot lose magnetism except by dismantling - Service by makers only", but I want to know why.

What magical internal parts preserve the magnetism that would dissipate if removed?

13/09/2020 10:31:03

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but I don't understand why it would it lose it's magnetism just by dismantling it. The old-fashioned horseshoe magnets I had at school all those years ago had keepers, but they certainly didn't lose their magnetism if you removed the keeper for a few hours. What am I missing?

Thread: Best way to keep nuts tight (ha ha)
03/09/2020 18:17:07

If you fancy a bit of interesting work, why not make a pair of Tilt Nuts? When you tilt them they can be moved freely along a threaded rod, but act like ordinary nuts when not tilted. A pair can be locked together like normal locknuts.

Thread: Easy method of 4 jaw centering
02/09/2020 10:25:59
Posted by Hopper on 01/09/2020 22:55:40:

It's not my way. I saw it published in MEW about 2 or 3 years ago. Can't remember the author's name. A Scandinavian chap maybe. He described it more clearly with illustrations.

In that case it's not surprising 'cos I wrote the MEW article you saw. My link was the actual article.

01/09/2020 16:21:30
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 01/09/2020 15:29:57:

Just tried Hopper's method only to find it took longer. Despite understanding the logic I slowed down just because the method is slightly different from what I'm used to. Hard to break old habits I guess. I shall persist : Hopper's way must be easier!

Dave

It is - it's the same way as described in my link.

01/09/2020 12:56:34

I use a method which is very quick and accurate, but not, it would seem, very well known.

***THIS*** PDF explains the method.

Although not absolutely necessary, the use of two chuck keys makes life much easier.

Thread: Miracles do happen
29/08/2020 07:53:05

Many years ago my wife lost one of the gold earrings I'd made for her, so I made a replacement. A few years later, just before her birthday in April, she tearfully admitted that she'd lost one again. Although I volunteered to make a replacement she was adamant that I shouldn't, because 'it will turn up sometime'. The months went by and the earring didn't 'turn up', so I made a replacement as a Christmas present. That year one of her old school friends stayed with us and we were all invited out for Boxing day. It actually snowed on Christmas day that year and the friend and I went out first to brush the snow from the car. Suddenly the friend shouted 'look, she's lost it already!' and held up the earring that she'd found in the snow near the car. When my wife came out.we teased her about losing the new earring so quickly. She immediately touched her ears and confirmed that both earrings were in place.

To this day we don't know how the missing earring turned up, undamaged, in the driveway, in the snow some eight months after it had been lost. She now has three earrings.

Thread: Wireless doorbell without tunes
24/08/2020 15:43:23

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll see if LIDL still has them, but if not I'll try the mp3 route.

Thread: 3D printing of tyres
24/08/2020 09:16:18

I've used a filament called Ninja-Flex for printing rubbery things. It's not a hard rubber like car tyres, more like the rubber used for elastic bands.

Thread: Wireless doorbell without tunes
24/08/2020 09:10:21

Trouble is, SWMBO doesn't want "ding dong". She just wants the standard 'brrrnnnng'.

Edited By Gary Wooding on 24/08/2020 09:17:44

22/08/2020 18:33:17

Harry and John, yes, I mean a 'brrrrrnnnngggg', not a 'ding dong ding dong', nor a Westminster chime or any other 'tuned' noise.

22/08/2020 16:00:05

We need a wireless doorbell that sounds like the old fashioned electric doorbells. The few I've seen proudly offer a number of different tunes or chimes, which we don't like, but don't include the standard old fashioned doorbell ring. Does such a thing exist?

Thread: Wooden Gears
22/08/2020 11:08:40
Posted by pgk pgk on 22/08/2020 10:37:46:

...or planting the trees from hedgerow harvested seed..

...then you have the problem of glue, rearing your own animals to harvest the hooves...

..or pine resin glue

As somebody once said, "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe".

Thread: How can I fix this LCD display?
21/08/2020 08:09:05

Thanks for all the suggestions.

There is no way to see the rear of the LCD panel or the PCB. I tried, somewhat half heartedly, to remove the panel from the plastic recess, but failed.

I suspect that the Honeywell manoeuvre could do the trick, 'cos pushing on the surface of the panel reveals more bars, which suggests that the real problem is de-lamination, but since I can't remove the panel it remains a suspicion. SHMBO seems happy with the tiny improvement I've managed, so I guess I'll leave it at that.

20/08/2020 17:29:42

SWMBO has an ancient Panasonic SD-253 Bread Maker. For some months now, much of the LCD display panel has not worked and she has been reduced to setting the time by counting button pushes. If the display was pushed a bit, then some of the bars could be seen, so I decided to open the machine up and, because I couldn't see how to remove it, tried gently pushing the panel from side to side, hoping to improve the contacts.. On re-assembly, much of the panel now works OK, but some bars are still inoperative.

I'm tempted to try a contacts cleaner on the connectors, but a friend reckoned it might mess up the internals. What do you think?

Here's a photo of the actual display panel.

lcd panel.jpg

Thread: Turning a riser for VMC Z Axis
20/08/2020 07:22:04

When I made this one for a friend I made it in two parts that could be bolted together after the pockets had been milled.

vmc mill1.jpgvmc r-blk schematic.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest