By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Result - the 2019 Stevenson Trophy
13/05/2019 09:43:08

Well deserved Mike.

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
08/05/2019 10:45:11

A good friend has had a Nissan Leaf for about a year. He basically likes it. He has a home charging unit.
Officially, the range is about 160mls, but speeds greater than 50mph, weather conditions requiring heater or air-con, etc. etc., can reduce that to less than 130m. Short journeys are fine, but long ones require planning.

There is another caveat - when there is only about 15mls charge left there is a warning message. With only 8mls left the top speed is reduced to about 20mph. This could be embarrassing on a motorway.

He recently had to drive to a destination about 140 miles away. With about 30m left "in the tank" he decided to refill at a motorway service station. It was a very sunny day and he couldn't read the display on the charge unit. He phoned the provider he said "No problem, just use this website." He couldn't get an internet connection, so he looked up the nearest Nissan dealer with a charging unit. After verifying that they were open he drove the 15m in the wrong direction, only to find that it wasn't a 1hr charger. They directed him to another place (another 5m drive) where he found that the 1hr charger was in use. He waited and finally got the full charge, but the extra mileage and time added 3hrs to the journey; or 2hrs more than the originally expected 1hr charge. The return journey was less eventful, but still needed a stop to re-charge.

Interestingly, the so-called 1hr charger only fills to about 92%, with the last 8% requiring an extra 25mins. This is to protect the battery from over heating.

From a logistics point of view, how would drivers without home chargers actually cope? Where would all the required charge units be located? Many of the small streets in my town are lined with parked cars day and night. None of them would have a home charger. It takes about 10mins to fill a car with liquid fuel, and that is likely to last for about 400miles. For an electrical car, the same 400 miles will need in excess of 3hrs charging time. How can that possibly work? How many commuters could afford to spend an hour or so every 100-130 miles to charge their car? Assuming that they didn't have to wait (possibly an hour or so) to get to a charging unit.

Thread: Where's my Dykem blue gone - there's no need to read this
18/04/2019 08:21:46

Many years ago, in another life, I was a computer software developer. Programs always contain bugs (errors), especially when they are being developed, and some are incredibly difficult to find and fix. It's even more difficult to fix bugs in programs written by someone else.

Sometimes, after spending fruitless days in trying to fix a bug, it was very helpful to try to describe and justify the mechanism of the program to another person - even somebody who had no programming skills at all. The other person would ask questions, often totally irrelevant, and then, after a relatively short while, the eureka moment occurred and the bug was found.

Thread: Centec raising block
04/04/2019 09:54:09
Posted by Paul White 3 on 04/04/2019 08:53:07:

Gary,

I must disagree with your "only purpose for the block" statement . My reason for making one was to change from vertical to horizontal configuration without taking off the very heavy head. This is perhaps what the OP was thinking.

Good point Paul.

04/04/2019 07:38:49
Posted by martin perman on 03/04/2019 20:40:23:d

Thanks for that and I have one more question, when I bought the mill it came with an electric grinding spindle which from memory fits, I say memory because it sits inside a stand I made and hasnt seen the light of day for a while,, where the vertical spindle fits, would this need a raising block.

Martin P

Sorry Martin,

I can't help; I've never seen a grinding spindle.

The only purpose of a raising block is to provide more headroom, or space, between the table and the VH spindle.

Thread: Knurling speed
03/04/2019 22:15:22
Posted by Maurice on 03/04/2019 00:55:34:

I have just watched "The Repair Shop" on B.B.C. T.V. Their watch maker was knurling a large piece of brass to make a replacement tuning dial ring. He seemed to do it at a very high speed. I read in M.E. many years ago to do it in back-gear. I just took it as gospel, and have done it so, ever since. What is the correct speed to do it?

Maurice

When I saw that episode it seemed to me that he had managed to achieve a cross-knurl, but I can't be certain

Thread: Centec raising block
03/04/2019 18:35:20

Martin,

You don't need a raising block if you don't have a Vertical Head.

These pictures show how the long block is used.

Long block retractedLong block extended

03/04/2019 16:06:05
Posted by Dave Halford on 03/04/2019 12:13:51:

Most Centec raising blocks are made from aluminium.

With a 2B you can make a full length arm, the only pain is the clamp cutouts where you will need 4.

Why?

All the raising blocks I've made had only two cutouts.

03/04/2019 15:48:56

I've made about 20 Centec raising blocks, only two of which were "short" ones, meaning they had to be removed in order to use the m/c for horizontal milling. The remaining 18 were "long" ones which were slid rearwards for vertical milling and slid forwards (with the VH still attached) to act as the overarm.

All were made from 6082T6 aluminium alloy, and have performed really well. I've had no complaints at all, but was surprised to find that, because Centecs were made in two separate factories, there are slight differences in the sizes of the dovetails.

Cutting the dovetails is easy, but time consuming and tedious, but making the retaining fingers and cutting the pockets was a challenge.

Long raising blocksShort raising block

Thread: Knurling speed
03/04/2019 15:16:58

There is a lot of miss-information about knurling. Many references state that it’s rather like cutting gear teeth and that the circumference of the item to be knurled must be an integral number of knurls, otherwise they won’t line up and you get cross knurling. This is total nonsense; it’s nothing like cutting gear teeth; each dimple is formed by deforming or moulding the metal, not by cutting it. Yes, you do get some powdery swarf, but nowhere near enough to fill the dimples.

Once the pattern has been established, as the workpiece revolves, each “hill” of the knurling wheel slips into the next “valley” of the workpiece, provided that the valley is deep enough to exert sufficient force to change the speed of the knurling wheel. If the next valley isn’t deep enough, then the next hill tries to make its own valley and you get a cross knurl. The secret is to make the first set of valleys as deep as you can by exerting as much initial force as possible. You can then deepen the pattern until you get a really nice, deep, knurl.

Thread: Can anyone solve this problem?
27/03/2019 16:13:09

Thanks Jason,

I tried, and failed to do it in Fusion, which is the reason I wanted a formula. Fusion doesn't use mates - it uses something called joints instead, which I couldn't make work.

27/03/2019 14:46:01
Posted by JasonB on 27/03/2019 14:02:21:

This looks like it may do, going to try it with those figures

Edited By JasonB on 27/03/2019 14:03:57

Thanks Jason, I can verify that formula does work.

How did you do it in CAD? I could only do it by trial and error.

27/03/2019 11:49:16

Jason is right, I'm looking for a formula that calculates X for various values of C and V.

27/03/2019 11:09:10

Hmm, I've somehow managed add this posting twice. Could a moderator remove one of them please?

27/03/2019 10:52:25

The diagrams show a V-groove in a solid block. The angle of the groove is V.

There is a right circular cone, included angle C, resting in the groove. The point of the cone is at the bottom of the groove, and the cone just lies there touching both sides of the groove. The axis of the cone now lies at some angle X relative to the bottom of the groove.

The problem is simple: what is angle X?

cone in groove.jpgcone in groove2.jpg

Thread: For discussing the merits of alternative 3D CAD programs.
16/03/2019 11:25:41

My first CAD program was called EasyCAD. It was a DOS based program that was distributed on a floppy disk and was strictly 2D .After using it for a few years I encountered a magazine (can't remember the name) that was giving away a copy of a 3D program called TurboCAD. I tried it, but the 3D facility was very Mickey Mouse and I found it not as intuitive as EasyCAD.

There came a day when I designed something for myself (in EasyCAD) that I subsequently decided to submit for publication. Dimensioning was a pain, because EasyCAD didn't have associative dimensions, so when I discovered that TurboCAD did, I switched over and never looked back.

I eventually got a better version of TurboCAD that, although heavily based on a 2D engine, could do pretty good 3D design work, but when somebody demonstrated SolidWorks to me I realised just how primitive TC's 3D was. But there was no way I could afford SolidWorks. I even tried Alibre when it first came out, but was dissuaded by the price.

Then I heard about Fusion, which seemed too good to be true. I downloaded and tried it but, because of the very poor documentation, didn't make much headway. The Remap panel for which I do voluntary work then obtained a 3D printer and I had the first case that required it. I used TC to created an STL for a special mug lid, but it was very slightly too small to fit the mug. Changing the size involved basically redrawing it from scratch, so I decided to use Fusion, with it's parametric facilities. It worked really well, so I gradually switched my work from TC to F360. I still use TC for basic 2D drawings, but use F360 for everything else.

I found the F360 tutorials sort-of useful, but it wasn't until I had to design a complicated model containing lots of separate parts that I got to think in the F360 way. F360 is now my CAD system of choice. I've even started to use the built-in FEA system that is a very pricey and complicated facility in other systems. When I've got some CNC machinery I'll find another use for F360.

Using F360 for a large project certainly requires some self discipline. You should certainly adhere to Rule#1 whenever possible, and be pedantic about naming sketches and features. Failure to do this can lead you into deep water when you sometimes create errors on changing certain parameters. I recommend F360 whole heartedly.

Thread: Anyone got a hydrogen generator?
14/03/2019 07:33:00

I've never bothered to change it in my Aqua-Flame.

13/03/2019 14:44:40

I have an Aqua-Flame unit, which is very similar to a Microflame.

John is correct in stating that the flame is virtually invisible. Fortuitously, the ratio of oxygen and hydrogen produced is just right for burning, and doesn't have to be changed, but, although the flame is very hot - approaching that of oxy-acetylene - it is relatively low in energy. To counteract this, it has something called a booster tank.

Output from the generator is fed through the booster and then to the torch. A liquid is placed in the booster to achieve two things, a) to counter the effects of a blowback, and b) to change the flame temperature. If the booster contains water, then pure oxy-hydrogen is burnt, but if it contains a suitable chemical, the flame temperature and calorific value, is changed. I use methylethylketone (which, I believe, is used in dry-cleaning) to reduce the temperate to about 2000C and increase its calorific value.

Flame size is determined by the size of the torch tip, which is rather like a hypodermic needle, and not by a regulator valve. The flame produced ranges from about 3-4mm wide and 80mm long for the biggest tip I have, to about 0.5mm wide and 2mm long for the smallest one. I am able to hard-solder the tiniest chains with the small tip.

Thread: Fusion 360
13/03/2019 14:07:11

After being a devout TurboCAD user since the free give-away on a magazine, I've now moved completely to F360.

A few weeks ago I found another good reason for using it - it has a built-in FEA (Finite Element Analysis) tool. I've been designing a special lift for a Remap client and needed to know if it would be strong enough. It seemed a daunting task but, after checking out a couple of YouTube videos, I found it works a treat.

I always thought that FEA was a) very difficult and b) it had an eye watering price. But F360 has it built-in.

Yet another reason to use Fusion 360.

Thread: Imperial Milling Machine
12/03/2019 10:55:38

When I initially thought to fit a DRO to my Centec 2B, my first thought was to save money and go for a 2-axis system. Friends at the club said that I would later regret not getting a 3-axis, so I dug deeper into my pockets and bought the 3-axis system. They were right, I use the Z-axis scale very often, and would feel lost without it.

Go for 3-axis - you well never regret it.

I've subsequently fitted another single DRO to the quill. It's useful, but not used as much as the main system.

Oh! I never look at the dials, the DRO is far more accurate, and takes care of backlash problems.

dscn2396.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale May 19
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest