By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Wood

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Wood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flat bottom hole 3/16 o/d
11/08/2019 10:34:16

Bill,

The usual approach is to drill the hole almost to full depth and then swap the drill for a specially ground flat bottomed drill to create the bottom of the hole.

The skill lies in getting the geometry of the second drill end correct but it can be done in drills of this diameter. In my professional life we used to call on the services of a particular man in the toolroom to create flat bottomed holes in all manner of exotic aero engine materials. These were 0.050 inch diameter [ actually 3/64 inch] and about 1/2 inch deep. Skilled work indeed with sensitive drilling machines.

Regards Brian

Thread: CovMac Lathes
10/08/2019 14:11:30

Hello Phil,

All exciting stuff isn't it, eat your heart out Chris!

I recently rescued a Churchill Cub, made in 1947 which I am restoring. Not in Covmac scale but large for me. The motor on that was enormous, a two speed 3 phase unit weighing 55 kg, it was about all I could do to push it about on the floor. All that for 1 HP

I shall be running the lathe with a variable speed 240 volt 3 phase unit when that happy day comes about, the difference in weight and performance is remarkable. The new motor weighs 17.3 kg and delivers 2 HP

The old motor stator will be reused as a demagnetising tunnel with a central plastic tube fitted in place of the bell ends.

Regards Woody

Edited By Brian Wood on 10/08/2019 14:11:52

10/08/2019 11:13:26

Hello Phil,

Good to see more progress! What power of motor have you settled on to run the old girl on, it must be fairly substantial to justify 5 belts?

Regards

Brian

Thread: Bulking problem?
10/08/2019 09:41:06

Thinking about Ron Laden's suggestion of binding with string, I think that could be a winner. Old time stick makers wouldn't have had a lot of tackle, such as an array of hose clips, to reduce the size of a horn, from whatever animal it had come from, so reducing it gradually with it bound tightly after boiling to soften it and letting it set thus clamped was probably how they went about it.

Repeated treatments were probably needed, I would not expect final size to be achieved in one hit.

Regards

Brian

09/08/2019 18:25:07

Hello Brian,

Is is possible to make the horn material flexible? Steaming comes to mind, it is after all made of something akin to finger nails and I imagine that can be softened with heat at those temperatures.

Rather than try a collet chuck, which only closes over a small length to pull in a steel collet, I would be tempted to try a series of hose clips over the length you want to squeeze.

Regards

Brian

PS There are plenty of stick makers up here in Yorkshire, sheep horn seems to be the favoured choice and those are manipulated I feel sure.

Edited By Brian Wood on 09/08/2019 18:28:18

Thread: EUREKA Gear-Tooth Relieving Attachment - Ancient History....
07/08/2019 12:19:34

Thank you Michael, I stand corrected.

Brian

07/08/2019 09:29:50

I too have taken a great interest in this device.

My research confirms the Balzar device as a geared piece of tooling and that it was granted a US patent in 1895.

Robert Taylor was granted a US patent for a ratchet operated device in 1906, but by this time the German tool company of Selig Sonnenthal had an almost identical piece of tooling on sale in 1904 at the price then of £8 a time [equivalent to about £900 today]

The illustration that Andre refers to is of the Sonnenthal equipment and this is what Eureka was based upon

In Ivan Law's book, Gears and Gearcutting #17 in the Workshop Practice Series, Chapter 12 there are drawings and text for making Eureka.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Floor Paint
02/08/2019 10:45:10

Perhaps it might be better to abort the idea Neil and go for fitted carpet instead.

I have floor paint straight onto concrete in my workshop. The paint was formulated for the job and it has to date done about 20 years. The gloss in now rather matt in the highest traffic zone but it is still intact and it gets a lot of swarf etc trodden over it.

These paints however are not really in the domestic colour chart range. Mine is a strong red, chosen from a rather limited colour palette at the time

I don't know if that help you, but it is what I might do in the circumstances.

Best wishes

Brian

Thread: ML7 lathe carriage
30/07/2019 10:52:04

Hello David,

I haven't carried out the pinning on the jibs so can't comment on that aspect. Your other question on the jib itself, they usually had pockets for all the adjusting screws

Regards

Brian

Thread: Myford super 7 Tailstock Spindle Damage
29/07/2019 19:06:46

Hello Carl,

I too have cleaned up the morse tapers on tailstock barrels, but I adopted a much gentler way of going about it

I gripped the tang end of the correct size reamer in the bench vice in one instance and pushed the barrel onto it while rotating it by hand. You can 'feel' the cutting that way. I haven't measured the result as the lathe is being refurbished but taper shank drills fit with a nice 'kerthunk' noise and grip properly

In the second case, a 3 MT version, the tailstock barrel [18 inches long and heavy] was gripped via a cloth in the vice and the reamer turned by hand in a big tap holder, using the tang gripped between the jaws of the tap holder. Later measurement on a precision bar at 5 inches from the mouth of the barrel gave a run out of under 0.001 inches and again there was the satisfying 'kerthunk' noise on fitting drills

Regards

Brian

Thread: What mills have you had
21/07/2019 18:55:23

I made my Mk 2 Dore-Westbury which I still own, admittedly a light machine which now has variable speed drive, a big improvement. It get a lot of use.

A Tom Senior [Junior] horizontal mill, a lovely machine, which I use for gear cutting

And not listed as a category on it's own, an Elliott M 10 shaper

Brian

Thread: What lathes have you had?
21/07/2019 18:33:56

Myford ML4 inherited when Dad died. Sold to buy----

A good Myford ML7 from a trusted friend. That was a good lathe but sold to buy----

Another good Myford ML7 R, which I still have and use. It is much modified.

Smart and Brown Sabel---a nice one and I use it

Churchill Cub, a rescue project recently taken in hand. It will be good when it is done

Brian.

Edited By Brian Wood on 21/07/2019 18:35:25

Thread: Saying hello from Cheshire.
20/07/2019 17:10:08

Welcome aboard Tommy,

I am not into clocks, machine tools and tool making are my main interests. You will though find many kindred spirits here

Regards

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 20/07/2019 17:10:56

Thread: Colchester Chipmaster
20/07/2019 11:09:20

Ernest,

You may have to make one by filing out a square hole in a piece of drilled bar and then welding or brazing a T handle or similar to it.

If you Google square chuck keys all you see are the male versions and looking for hollow square keys only seems to go up to clock winding key sizes, nothing in the size you need..

Brian

Thread: Steel boiler storage.
20/07/2019 11:04:28

Hello Kevin,

You secure it mechanically so that it is in good electrical contact

Thread: TTFN
18/07/2019 18:51:14

Hello Andrew,

I too will miss your input. It has given great value, knowledge and experience to the rest of us on the forum and it seems a great pity that some feel it has no place here, based purely upon the scale on which you work.

I do hope you will reconsider and return to us. As others have said, the forum will be a poorer place if not

Kind regards Brian

Thread: Cutting a Mod 1 worm
11/07/2019 20:09:56

Hello Howard,

How very flattering, I'll do what I can to help.

I am not familiar with your BL12-24 lathe, but I suspect it will have a 40T gear off the spindle permanently included in any change wheel set up. I don't know how comprehensive the Norton gearbox is either, so a picture or two to enlighten me on those aspects will be helpful; plus of course your spreadsheet.And a picture to show how your changewheels are arranged on the banjo would be helpful.

Do you have any feel for the ratios the gearbox provides? One way of establishing that is to take a look inside and count the teeth on the input gear, then count the teeth on the cone of gears that can be selected. I can work out what that gives as ratios if you would prefer not to.

I hope it won't be necessary for you to make other change wheels, we'll see.

My email is wood_y(at)btinternet(dot)com all in lower case, no spaces and note the underscore between d and y

Regards

Brian

10/07/2019 19:49:46

Hello again Howard,

I can save your brain cells some, but not all, the work.

The basic gearing calculation is really not too difficult. For this example we do need to incorporate an approximation for pi/2 in the gearing, which is neatly given by 55/35 to an error of roughly 1 in 2000

The full sum therefore becomes required Pitch P = 55/35 x R x Leadscrew pitch [ R is the combined value of change wheel ratio and in your case a gearbox ratio]

Putting in the known value for P = 3.142, we can rearrange the formula to find the value of R

R = 3.142 x 35/55 x 1/ Leadscrew pitch [1/3 in this case] which gives a value for R of 0.6664

Without knowing what change wheels you have available, nor the gearbox ratios that you can call upon, it surely can't be too taxing to find values for these components in the calculation, which multiplied together amount to 2/3

Regards

Brian

Thread: Myford ML4 backgear disassemble
10/07/2019 09:07:22

Hello Stan,

I'm sorry to be late in reply to your question, I have only just seen it. From fading memory now, I recall that the backgear cluster that fits onto the eccentric that is used to swing it into and out of engagement is retained on it's shaft with a broad washer and countersunk screw, fitted to the 'motor' side.

Remove those and slacken the nip bolt that proves an adjustable grip to the shaft in question [to give it some resistance to turning], the shaft should then withdraw towards the tailstock end of the lathe.

I have a new and unused 65 tooth bull wheel available to fit the main spindle, teeth often get broken off those and they are no longer available as spares from Myford. If you need one, send me a personal message (PM)

Good luck with the restoration

Brian

Thread: Cutting a Mod 1 worm
10/07/2019 08:27:53

Howard,

The error was listed in the table as mm, so the figure will be 0.001 mm [1 micron]

It is of course a calculated value which depends on the accuracy of the leadscrew on the machine in question. Having said that you could test the gearing on your lathe with a 60 T gear on the leadscrew just to see if you could cut that pitch, it would perhaps prove the point whether or not your lathe is capable of the task.

Regards

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest