By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Wood

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Wood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What motor pulley size for ML1 Lathe?
04/10/2019 13:05:10

Hello Chris,

I'll try to answer your question on pulley size

You need to work back from the maximum spindle rpm, which on a lathe of that vintage with white metal bearings would have been about 600 rpm. Measure the diameters of the two stepped pulleys on countershaft and spindle that would be used for that spindle speed and call them D1 and D2 respectively.

Call the motor pulley diameter 'x', the countershaft pulley is known at 8 inches

Now we can express everything as a calculation where x = (600 x 8), multiplied by D2/D1, all divided by 1425

You should finish up with a motor pulley diameter in the region of about 1 inch or so, assuming a step up ratio D1/D2 of something like 3:1

Don't forget to include a degree of crowning on you motor pulley when you make it to keep the flat belt running in the centre.

Finally, brass will be satisfactory ( I assume you already have a chunk) but cast iron is the more traditional material

Regards

Brian

Thread: Colchester Bantam Mk1
04/10/2019 09:35:27

Hello Mark,

Welcome to weeks, perhaps months of absorbing research and satisfying overhaul in getting your new toy back into service in your workshop. It is a journey you will enjoy!

My first point of reference would be the splendid archive that Tony Griffiths has created on all manner of machine tools, it really is a gold mine and it covers the Colchester range of lathes pretty thoroughly.

www.lathes.co.uk          when you get there go to the archive

Regards

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 04/10/2019 09:35:43

Edited By Brian Wood on 04/10/2019 09:36:25

Thread: Dore Westbury Milling Machine
02/10/2019 09:51:14

I built my D-W Mk II well over 25 years ago. I don't remember there being any guidance on the recommended grade of oil in the gearbox so I used SAE 30 oil which has worked perfectly satisfactorily over that time. There wasn't any heavy grease supplied in my case.

I have not been aware of excessive gearbox noise when I use the gearbox, it is just what one might expect but I put that down to helical gears being supplied in the kit sent to me; they are inherently quieter than spur gearing.

Regards Brian

Thread: Thread Cutting on Myford Super 7
01/10/2019 09:31:21

Tom,

Just to add a bit of detail to Martin's posts. The gear on stud A is a tandem 19/57 tooth compound if that helps you recognise it and as he says, it is reversed on that stud to give fine feeds for normal machining...

24 tpi is a standard pitch that the gearbox can provide, the middle choice of the set 12/24/48 tpi , just follow the picture on the gearbox plate and set it accordingly.

Regards Brian

Thread: Myford ML10 spindle crank trouble
30/09/2019 09:37:57

There could still be a problem with the space needed to get a pukka translation gear of 127 teeth in place on the leadscrew, it is only a shade under 6.5 inches in diameter.

Brian.

Thread: Perfecto 3-1/2" x 16" lathe half nut lever operation
30/09/2019 09:06:08

I can confirm that the ML4 lathe had a very similar mechanism and relied on the friction grip from a split washer below the doubled clamping nuts in the middle of the operating lever to keep it engaged and disengaged as appropriate.

The degree of friction could be chosen from these two nuts with the second acting as a locknut to hold the setting

Regards Brian

Thread: Myford ML10 spindle crank trouble
27/09/2019 13:59:46

Ignatz,

Myford published metric gearing tables for the ML7 and later derivatives such as the Super 7 which avoided the use of a 63 tooth translation gear; they used 21 tooth gears instead. I thought you owned one at one time.

You can download that information ( I am not clever enough to find and add a link to get you there quickly) but that is another route you may care to explore.

Your stepped spindle is elegant but as you have pointed out, there is a fiddle-faddle involved in fitting things in the right order

Regards Brian

27/09/2019 09:15:41

If I may just add a word.

It is often helpful to get large diameter wheels as low down in the gear train as space to fit them permits. That allows room to get the smaller toothed wheels in position early on where the space for fitting is a bit more limited.

The gearing calculation doesn't make any distinction as to where in the calculation the numbers are used, just as long as they divide or multiply as required.

Regards Brian

Thread: M&W rules now better...
26/09/2019 15:25:43

Very droll Michael!!!

Thread: Iím done with big pharma‼️
26/09/2019 15:23:44

Geoff,

I would recommend you talk to your Doctor rather than seek medical advice on this forum. He or she may have other medication you can move on to that is more suitable for you for example.

Long term home treatment with aspirin is known to induce the risk of stomach ulcers and bleeding and is generally, not regarded favourably by the medical profession either.

Regards Brian

Thread: Startrite FG2 Pillar Drill
24/09/2019 09:41:46

Martin,

I don't know the drill but this fault sounds rather like a taper pin linking gears and actuating shaft together has fallen out, leaving the shaft free to rotate without doing what it should do.

You may have no option but to strip the gearbox to find out what has gone wrong to be able to fix it

Regards Brian

Thread: CovMac Lathes
15/09/2019 18:50:28

Well done Phil.

I don't like to be critical, but was there an element of variable speed running in the higher speed you demonstrated?

Next test of course is to make some swarf.

Best wishes Woody

Thread: Solvent for degreasing engine, without damaging the paintwork?
14/09/2019 18:09:00

I would soak it in paraffin, I'm pretty sure that will have no effect on the paintwork but it will soften old oil and other such stiff lubricants.

Regards Brian

13/09/2019 09:31:04

Looking forward to seeing it run again now Phil, you've made a nice job of it too.

Woody

Thread: Help with Ward 3A
12/09/2019 17:49:58

David,

Give them all a good oiling too, the passages could well be choked with grease that is in the process of drying out and it may take some shifting.

If you can look to see evidence of penetration.

Regards Brian

Thread: THIN cutting oil - Suds alternative?
12/09/2019 10:30:51

Hello Lainchby,

I think I can provide some reassurance on the vexed question of coolant staining.

I am currently restoring a Churchill Cub lathe made in 1947. When I took the headstock off the bed, the joint faces beneath had residues of old oil and looked very poor. A wipe with a rag, no more than that, swept all that mess away to leave perfectly smooth and clean ground surfaces, stained black by the effects of soluble oil that had crept into the joints after many years use.

The staining is clearly superficial, no more than microns in depth as on re-assembly it made no difference whatsoever to the location of or accuracy in re-positioning the headstock.

I conclude from all this that the staining which so many worry does no harm to the machine surfaces. Furthermore, this old machine had stood out in all weathers for some time after a factory closure, waiting for the dealer to collect; there was even water below the oil in the all geared headstock!

The rain had not penetrated into those joint surfaces other than just along one edge for maybe 1/8 of an inch and was no more than a slightly red mark.

I sweep my machines clear of swarf with a bannister brush after a machining session, it does a lot to keep them clean ready for the next job and only rarely wipe over with an oily rag.

I hope that story slays some dragons for you and perhaps others.

Brian

(Edited for punctuation)

Edited By Brian Wood on 12/09/2019 10:34:42

08/09/2019 18:56:33

Hello John,

Yes indeed, good to hear from you again. And what a lot of swarf ! A respectable surface finish though, one big advantage of a heavy machine, it holds to the cut because of the sheer mass of the saddle/cross slide combination.

For Larry's benefit, these Covmac lathes were made for serious work, they weigh about 1.5 tonnes and use big tools to shift all that metal Certainly not a garden shed job!

Regards Brian

Thread: Arrand facemill TORX size..
06/09/2019 13:59:13

That size also fits the TORX screws on the carbide tooling that Arrand used to sell many moons ago; they too had the same size of tip ( TCMT 110204)

Brian

04/09/2019 18:14:55

In the light of this correspondence, I tried a T8 driver on the Torx screws in my Arrand face mill this afternoon; it was too big as he too has discovered.

Regards Brian

04/09/2019 14:54:25

I did try my T7 flag style driver on the screws in my Arrand face mill before offering it to Alan, but from what Vic says there is clearly some degree of variability in the fit in the heads on screws of this size.

Perhaps Alan should also equip with a T8 driver to cover all the bases!!

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest